Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-30-08, 07:18 PM
  #401  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
After a few years of doing this challenge, I finally was able to make it to 100. I suppose being unemployed helped, giving me more time for movie watching. My 100th movie was Dolls. I went into it not expecting much but it wasn't a bad movie, and being my 100th movie was also a 1st time viewing movie, helped even more. I can thank my gf for some of my movies as she is also a horror fan and I'd say at least half of my 1st time viewings came from DVDs in her libary, such as Dolls.
Old 10-30-08, 08:29 PM
  #402  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,489
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although seeing Creed as The Joker was classic, I don't think I'm going to count tonight's episode of The Office as a Halloween episode on my list.
Old 10-30-08, 08:39 PM
  #403  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,176
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Although seeing Creed as The Joker was classic, I don't think I'm going to count tonight's episode of The Office as a Halloween episode on my list.
yea same here...it was only like 2% halloween. though i've never wanted to fuck charlie chaplin more in my entire life.
Old 10-30-08, 08:44 PM
  #404  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
smashthesymbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
yea same here...it was only like 2% halloween. though i've never wanted to fuck charlie chaplin more in my entire life.
I agree on both counts.
Old 10-30-08, 08:48 PM
  #405  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Although seeing Creed as The Joker was classic, I don't think I'm going to count tonight's episode of The Office as a Halloween episode on my list.
I was deciding how to watch the rest of my wildcards today and saw someone mention that tonight was a Halloween episode of The Office. Instantly I thought about the British Office Halloween episode with David Brent in that awful costume and considered using a wildcard to use that, but ultimately I thought about it and it really wasn't horror related, just some hilarious costumes.

I wouldn't discredit anyone for counting something like that, but I wanted it to be more horror. I loved my last three wildcards but I'm suffering serious burnout now. Please tell me November is coming soon.
Old 10-30-08, 08:54 PM
  #406  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
^Was Earle more Halloween oriented?


Originally Posted by NoirFan
I just watched this yesterday. It's deservedly obscure - skip it.
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Wow, I loved House on Sorority Row.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I loved that movie, too. It was one of my favorite obscure slashers.
2 to 1 in favor of. I'm feeling a bit conflicted right now. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to forgo the Halloween viewing and watch it tonight. Besides, I'm taking a much bigger chance on catching "Faces of Death" for the first time tomorrow. I hear bad things, man ...bad things! But hey, it's a necessary risk needed to complete the documentary portion of the checklist.
Old 10-30-08, 09:02 PM
  #407  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoirFan
The sequel has a pretty lousy reputation, but I'll probably check it out tonight.
Other than the unexpected Take the Vampires Bowling montage, this wasn't a patch on the original.
Spoiler:
The scene with the doctor/vampire on the train tracks was groan-inducing.
Glad to see the swollen-faced alien bounty hunter from X-Files get some work though.
Old 10-30-08, 09:18 PM
  #408  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Greg MacGuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Formerly known as "Jeffy Pop"/Denver
Posts: 3,038
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poster mayhem
I was deciding how to watch the rest of my wildcards today and saw someone mention that tonight was a Halloween episode of The Office. Instantly I thought about the British Office Halloween episode with David Brent in that awful costume and considered using a wildcard to use that, but ultimately I thought about it and it really wasn't horror related, just some hilarious costumes.
If I remember correctly (and it's possible that I'm wrong), I don't think that was a Halloween episode. I'm pretty sure they were dressed up for some kind of Comic Relief type of fundraiser.
Old 10-30-08, 09:25 PM
  #409  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
If I remember correctly (and it's possible that I'm wrong), I don't think that was a Halloween episode. I'm pretty sure they were dressed up for some kind of Comic Relief type of fundraiser.
You may well be correct, haven't watched it in a while, just thinking of The Office and costumes made me think of that.

It may be for the best I didn't spend time on it considered it might not even have been Halloween.
Old 10-30-08, 09:31 PM
  #410  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,489
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
yea same here...it was only like 2% halloween. though i've never wanted to fuck charlie chaplin more in my entire life.
I've never agreed with a more insane comment than that in my entire life.
(For all I care, she can lose the hat and make me call her Mein Führer if she wants.)

Originally Posted by Chad
^Was Earle more Halloween oriented?
Yes, Earl was a full Halloween episode. A few good one liners, but the main story with the kid was totally out of the element of the show.

(Earle?)
Old 10-30-08, 09:34 PM
  #411  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A last minute recommendation - Tourist Trap. A creepy and atmospheric film that transcends it's low-budget slasher format. Underrated and worth checking out.
Old 10-30-08, 09:48 PM
  #412  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,854
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
2 to 1 in favor of. I'm feeling a bit conflicted right now. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to forgo the Halloween viewing and watch it tonight. Besides, I'm taking a much bigger chance on catching "Faces of Death" for the first time tomorrow. I hear bad things, man ...bad things! But hey, it's a necessary risk needed to complete the documentary portion of the checklist.
If you were saving it for something extra special, it's not all that. It's just a slasher, but it's slightly above an admittedly low fray.
Old 10-30-08, 10:07 PM
  #413  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,489
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
2 to 1 in favor of. I'm feeling a bit conflicted right now. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to forgo the Halloween viewing and watch it tonight. Besides, I'm taking a much bigger chance on catching "Faces of Death" for the first time tomorrow. I hear bad things, man ...bad things! But hey, it's a necessary risk needed to complete the documentary portion of the checklist.
I remember my buddies and I would rent "Faces of Death" in middle school/junior high since they were unrated and anyone could rent them. I was significantly disturbed that I never want to watch any of those again. I don't remember exactly which ones I watched, but I'm pretty sure I saw the original. That kind of stuff just really bothers me knowing (well, at least some of it) is real.
Old 10-30-08, 10:22 PM
  #414  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,125
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm taking a much bigger chance on catching "Faces of Death" for the first time tomorrow. I hear bad things, man ...bad things! But hey, it's a necessary risk needed to complete the documentary portion of the checklist.
I have fond memories from when I was 10 – 12 YO, sneaking around with school friends that had access to watch this movie on VHS. Its mystique really captured the curiosity of myself and others... but the disturbing thing is that we thought the deaths were REAL and we still made it a point to seek it out. There has to be something wrong with that.

And to top it off, I remember thinking that the real death footage (the stock historical stuff, not what was filmed for the movie) was too boring. I guess that commitment to gore might explain my involvement in this challenge 20 or so years later!

I’ll admit looking back on it, those SFX were outstanding. But I still get a nauseated feeling thinking about the film, fake or not. And it's about as a legitament documentary as M. Night's Buried Secret, but it more than serves the purpose for the checklist.
Old 10-30-08, 10:52 PM
  #415  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've surpassed last years total by a lot and like today I have tomorrow off... All nighter here I come. Sadly The Faculty is leaching about 40 minutes of the 31st from my Halloween marathon...
Old 10-30-08, 11:37 PM
  #416  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,879
Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Just got home from Quarantine.

Pointless remake, almost shot-for-shot copy of [Rec]. Not horrible, but it's sad that Americans won't go see films with subtitles, because [Rec] was better.
Old 10-31-08, 12:15 AM
  #417  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,136
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Pointless remake, almost shot-for-shot copy of [Rec]. Not horrible, but it's sad that Americans won't go see films with subtitles, because [Rec] was better.
Speaking of [Rec], I was so impressed with the film (despite watching it in low-rez on youtube) that I ordered the DVD from the Uk. I'm curious if anyone else bought a DVD of a film after watching it in another format for this challenge?
Old 10-31-08, 12:53 AM
  #418  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
alfonsosoriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 2,846
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well with one day left there's no way I'm getting to 50. School, tests, homework, and the overall busy life of being a college student got in the way at times (and quite frankly tired me out). I did get to see the original Night in the Living Dead in theaters tonight for the first time ever for $5, so that was a special treat! It kicked ass.
Old 10-31-08, 09:14 AM
  #419  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,551
Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I don't know how I managed to do it, but I am sitting at 96 right now, poised to reach 100 and complete the optional checklist tonight. I'm probably most surprised that I managed to work a movie into every night of October. Throughout the month, it has just been a battle staying one step ahead of my DVR because of all the TV shows I watch.

Viewing schedule for tonight is slightly in flux. I have been saving the original Halloween Blu-ray for tonight, so that's a definite. And then the first sequel, which I have somehow never seen. Sandwiched in between probably the Great Pumpkin. But I need one more title. I probably should make that one more title be the first one I watch. I think it would be most appropriate if my #100 film was one of the Halloween movies.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
After watching Ritual and House on Skull Mountain today been thinking of other voodoo movies. I have quite a few in one of my horror movie collection but was curious. I planned to look at FYE for GoLion tomorrow anyways and got to thinking would Serpent and the Rainbow be worth picking it up? I saw it once when I was a kid but it has been so long I honestly don't remember much about the movie or even if it was that great.
I am a fan of Serpent and the Rainbow. I think it loses some steam toward the end, like many Craven movies seem to do, but I think it's a very effective film. I would also recommend I Walked With a Zombie.
Old 10-31-08, 09:17 AM
  #420  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,551
Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I remember my buddies and I would rent "Faces of Death" in middle school/junior high since they were unrated and anyone could rent them. I was significantly disturbed that I never want to watch any of those again. I don't remember exactly which ones I watched, but I'm pretty sure I saw the original. That kind of stuff just really bothers me knowing (well, at least some of it) is real.
I remember those days, too. But only a couple of the video stores around here had it, and then all had it either behind the counter or in a back room. Of course that only added to the mystique. I have considered getting the Blu-ray just for nostalgia's sake, but never have.
Old 10-31-08, 10:04 AM
  #421  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I remember my buddies and I would rent "Faces of Death" in middle school/junior high since they were unrated and anyone could rent them. I was significantly disturbed that I never want to watch any of those again. I don't remember exactly which ones I watched, but I'm pretty sure I saw the original. That kind of stuff just really bothers me knowing (well, at least some of it) is real.
I keep warning my wife that the Barbie movies that have been coming out are all unrated. Anything can happen...
Old 10-31-08, 11:02 AM
  #422  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,879
Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza
Speaking of [Rec], I was so impressed with the film (despite watching it in low-rez on youtube) that I ordered the DVD from the Uk. I'm curious if anyone else bought a DVD of a film after watching it in another format for this challenge?
Same here, I'll be ordering [Rec]. There was also at least one other film that I watched this month online or thru a rental that I plan to buy, forget which right now.
Old 10-31-08, 12:16 PM
  #423  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,125
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Just got home from Quarantine.

Pointless remake, almost shot-for-shot copy of [Rec]. Not horrible, but it's sad that Americans won't go see films with subtitles, because [Rec] was better.
I agree on some levels, but is Quarantine really considered a remake? Sure, they used the same shooting script, but since [Rec] wasn't even complete when Quarantine was filming, I don't think that justifies always being classed as a remake. I believe a true remake is of a film that has already been finished and theatrically released, and then another film re-interprets the same material. Not the case here. I think it's actually smart to present the same story to two different audiences, at virtually the same time.

Just my .2
Old 10-31-08, 12:27 PM
  #424  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,136
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I agree on some levels, but is Quarantine really considered a remake? Sure, they used the same shooting script, but since [Rec] wasn't even complete when Quarantine was filming, I don't think that justifies always being classed as a remake. I believe a true remake is of a film that has already been finished and theatrically released, and then another film re-interprets the same material. Not the case here. I think it's actually smart to present the same story to two different audiences, at virtually the same time.

Just my .2
I certainly consider it a remake. IMDB has [Rec] listed as 2007 and Quarantine as 2008.

I can't believe it's the last day. Here's something really horrifying, I start dance classes with my wife tonight. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . I'll sneak in a film now and hopefully another one (or two) late tonight.
Old 10-31-08, 01:02 PM
  #425  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe watching the Halloween films in reverse order wasn't such a good idea- I'm pretty confused here. What do cults and astrology have to do with anything? Perhaps Part V will illuminate me. As far as the Zombie remake goes, what exactly is the time frame here? The first act is obviously mid-70s, what with Nazareth on the soundtrack and lil' Mikey Myers' Kiss t-shirt. Flash forward 15 years, and Dr. Loomis is asking someone for a cell phone?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.