Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-30-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are everyone's viewing plans for tomorrow? I've got Halloween 1-6, plus the Rob Zombie remake, lined up. I figured I'd watch them in reverse order, ending the challenge with the original Carpenter film. I also tracked down this legendary obscurity, which I look forward to belittling later today:

Old 10-30-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm currently at 47. I'm going to try and hit 50. But it's going to be hard to do.
I have to study for tests at College. Plus I have other college classes to attend but I should be able to get in one tonight.And hopefully two tomorrow. But it's going to be tough to do. I may go the old Universal route because those movies aren't as long and I could possibly get in a few of them in less time. I can hit the Universal Dracula titles which I haven't touched yet in the challenge. So that is one option I could do.
Old 10-30-08, 10:43 AM

tentative Halloween line-up:
Dr. Terror's Gallery of Horrors (1967)
Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
The Vampires' Night Orgy (1973)
Mad Monster Party? (1969)

The first three were my favorites from last year's challenge, and the last is my traditional Halloween night film. I'll end up at around 60, which is very good for me.
Old 10-30-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm thinking a double feature of HALLOWEEN and MAD MONSTER PARTY
Old 10-30-08, 11:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
What are everyone's viewing plans for tomorrow? I've got Halloween 1-6, plus the Rob Zombie remake, lined up. I figured I'd watch them in reverse order, ending the challenge with the original Carpenter film. I also tracked down this legendary obscurity, which I look forward to belittling later today:
Sounds good. Good to start with the absolute crap Zombie remake and work your way thru progressively better films. I did all the Halloweens last year, so this year I think I'm going to continue my concentration on my unwatched pile.

Don't have a last film to watch yet, want to choose something unwatched, yet classic and guaranteed good. Or I'll just end it with the original Halloween, perhaps buying a PS3 tomorrow and watching my first ever Blu Ray.

Speaking of Son of Dracula, I just watched the original version of it for the first time. Somewhat disappointed.
Old 10-30-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

found my 6th wildcard...tonight's THE OFFICE will be halloween themed.
Old 10-30-08, 11:50 AM

I'll watch John Carpenter's Halloween for sure. I also like to watch the Universal stuff on Halloween. So a couple of those are on the list for tonight & tomorrow including Son of Frankenstein and Dracula. I will also try to watch Pit & the Pendulum as I see it is on one of the movie channels in HD. My goal is to get to 70......
Old 10-30-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
found my 6th wildcard...tonight's THE OFFICE will be halloween themed.
Really? My DVR 2-sentence description didn't mention any Halloween themes, so good news.

My Name is Earl is also Halloween themed tonight. (I mentioned this already)
Old 10-30-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tomorrow I'll probably watch The Monster Squad with the kids, then I don't know what after that. I've run out of gas lately. I just can't fit more movies into my fried senses... I've been watching Ghost Whisperer on the PVR (not counting them) just to at least watch something horror related everyday.

Hats off to those of you that are steadily truckin' along. I'm just burned out this last week. I don't even think I'll do a marathon on Friday night. We'll see!
Old 10-30-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To those of you who haven't seen Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf, just go ahead and skip to the closing credits - they include most of the film's highlights, such as they are, plus Sybil Danning ripping her top off a couple of dozen times.
Old 10-30-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
There's tons of Horror South Park episodes, but I really didn't think that one was. Well, borderline. I suppose you can judge after you see it.
I'd say it's ok. It's giant monsters attacking a city killing people. If Godzilla is ok, which I don't see how that's horror, I see no problem with this one. It could also fall into the parody category.
Old 10-30-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Final Exam is pretty tough viewing so far. I loved this pointless exchange:

Girl #1: "I wish I had ordered salad instead of this spaghetti."
Girl #2: "Well, why didn't you?"

Why didn't you, indeed....
Old 10-30-08, 02:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plans change far too regularly. Initially I was just going to attempt to bump my numbers but after suffering through a couple of really horrible movies just because they were less than 70 minutes, that plan has changed. Why end the challenge with a bad taste in my mouth?

So I'll still avoid anything too long and sleep little to none but I'm going to watch many of my favorites that I simply haven't gotten around too before.

I just finished a fantastic Paramount double feature of Murders in the Zoo and Island of Lost Souls. These old dvd-rs of mine sure would like to be retired by new editions, especially for Island which deserves solid special edition treatment.
Old 10-30-08, 02:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts
well, i am gonna try and at least have a 3-some sometime this weekend.
how's this:
1. Zombie Strippers
2. Silent Night, Deadly Night
3. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Old 10-30-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
What are everyone's viewing plans for tomorrow?
Well, I'm being very spontaneous this year and taking things day by day, but there are a few certainties:

-Mad Monster Party
-Halloween
-Halloween 2
-Halloween III: Season of the Witch - So underrated!

...And Poltrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead - Despite the supposed later shipping date which later turned into a "very long wait" status, Netflix now has this listed as shipping today!

In the maybe pile:

Night of the Demons 1 & 2
Alone in the Dark ('82)
Halloween 4 & 5
The House on Sorority Row
Shutter (original)
Lady in White

And who knows what else.....

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
tentative Halloween line-up:
Dr. Terror's Gallery of Horrors (1967)
Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
The Vampires' Night Orgy (1973)
Mad Monster Party? (1969)

The first three were my favorites from last year's challenge, and the last is my traditional Halloween night film. I'll end up at around 60, which is very good for me.
Excellent choice!
Old 10-30-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Well, I'm being very spontaneous this year and taking things day by day, but there are a few certainties:

-Halloween III: Season of the Witch - So underrated!
I'm working at a theme attraction this year, and just a couple nights ago they had Tommy Lee Wallace (writer/director) there for autographs. He went through the attraction and came by at the end of the night, to talk with the cast after we closed. I really need to go back and watch it again, it's been a long time.
Old 10-30-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well after little over 100 movies on my first time out.. it looks like I might have cool it on Halloween itself. I'm flying out on a business trip early the next morning. I still hope to get in the universal classic Dracula and/or Frankenstein before the end. I hate to come this far and go out with a whimper.

-beebs
Old 10-30-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are everyone's viewing plans for tomorrow?
If everything works out I'll be at 95 by the end of today. Tomorrow I'll get home from work, make a bunch of coffee and start a little marathon. I'm figuring on Die, Monster, Die! to kick things off. Then Child's Play, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Friday the 13th. Then I'll wrap everything up late in the night with the original Halloween as title #100.

I might try to squeeze Die, Monster, Die! in tonight so I'll only have to do four tomorrow, but that's probably pushing it.
Old 10-30-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
After watching Ritual and House on Skull Mountain today been thinking of other voodoo movies. I have quite a few in one of my horror movie collection but was curious. I planned to look at FYE for GoLion tomorrow anyways and got to thinking would Serpent and the Rainbow be worth picking it up? I saw it once when I was a kid but it has been so long I honestly don't remember much about the movie or even if it was that great.
Old 10-30-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
The House on Sorority Row
I just watched this yesterday. It's deservedly obscure - skip it. The vaguely power-pop band during the party is called "4 Out Of 5 Doctors". Isn't that clever? The homeliest collection of sorority girls this side of Omega Moo.
Old 10-30-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow, I loved House on Sorority Row. It's very much a product of its time and dated, but in a good way. Very 70s/80s feel to it. I've watched tons of slasher films this time (definitely my least favorite genre-about as repetitive in plot as a Popeye cartoon), and that was one of the better ones. The girls aren't just models and strippers hired to show up and get killed. They actually are culpable of a crime and not just getting killed for having sex. Now, the Dorm that Dripped Blood, that was a piece of shit. And not the good kind.
Old 10-30-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I planned to look at FYE for GoLion tomorrow anyways and got to thinking would Serpent and the Rainbow be worth picking it up? I saw it once when I was a kid but it has been so long I honestly don't remember much about the movie or even if it was that great.
The Serpent and the Rainbow is one of my favorite Wes Craven films, and I think it's one of the most under-rated horror flicks of the late 80's. After Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes really tried some different stuff like People Under the Stairs and Shocker and this. It starts out with a great sequence. I think this film probably most effectively portrays the voodoo zombie genre. It's got a couple really awesome scenes in it.
Old 10-30-08, 06:29 PM

Wow, I loved House on Sorority Row. It's very much a product of its time and dated, but in a good way. Very 70s/80s feel to it. I've watched tons of slasher films this time (definitely my least favorite genre-about as repetitive in plot as a Popeye cartoon), and that was one of the better ones. The girls aren't just models and strippers hired to show up and get killed. They actually are culpable of a crime and not just getting killed for having sex.
I loved that movie, too. It was one of my favorite obscure slashers.
Old 10-30-08, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
I'll be in the minority and state that I really liked these two films. Night Watch and Day Watch are best with their infamous subtitles. I just bought them while I was in Canada a few weeks back. Night Watch was a flipper and included the subtitle version! (I don't know if the American one does.) Sadly, Day Watch did not.
They almost didn't release Night Watch with the subtitles. I was at an early press screening and was told it may be released dubbed. Thankfully, it didn't.
For what it's worth, Day Watch appears to bring the storyline to an end, so I'm not sure where the plot will be heading in the third film. So, if you bought the two of them at BB and watched them, you won't feel like the story is unresolved.
I liked Night Watch as well. I haven't seen Day Watch yet. I thought the ending of Night Watch had a huge plot hole and was fairly annoying, but it was an otherwise good movie. I didn't know it was so universally disliked. Back when I saw it, I was the only one who had any problems with it among my circle of friends.
Old 10-30-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I loved House on Sorority Row. It's very much a product of its time and dated, but in a good way. Very 70s/80s feel to it. I've watched tons of slasher films this time (definitely my least favorite genre-about as repetitive in plot as a Popeye cartoon), and that was one of the better ones.
It was certainly better than Final Exam, one of the laziest slasher films I've seen.
Spoiler:
No motivation, context, or even identity is given to the killer. Is he a student/janitor/faculty member/random guy? They couldn't even bother to give him a minimal back story, or even a half-assed explanation for why he's killing people?
I give the Radish, the nerd/repressed homosexual, props for his Corpse Grinders poster though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.