Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So apparently there IS a regular Simpson S11 box

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder if enough people complain Fox will do a replacement program like with the Homer head.

NO SLEEVES!
Old 10-07-08, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
Wonder if enough people complain Fox will do a replacement program like with the Homer head.

NO SLEEVES!
Let's hope!

Everyone submit an online complaint form at the Fox Home Entertainment site (Google it, then click Contact Us on the FHE main page)

AND / OR write or call to their headquarters:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Avenue of the Stars
25th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90067
United States

Phone:
310-369-3900

Real letters, like on paper, mailed to their address will carry much more weight than the online forms.

Last edited by bevilacq12; 10-07-08 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I got it at traget this morning, the design of the packaging is really cool, but damn these discs are a bitch to get out of the sleeves.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-07-08 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bevilacq12
Let's hope!

Everyone submit an online complaint form at the Fox Home Entertainment site (Google it, then click Contact Us on the FHE main page)

AND / OR write or call to their headquarters:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Avenue of the Stars
25th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90067
United States

Phone:
310-369-3900

Real letters, like on paper, mailed to their address will carry much more weight than the online forms.
Thanks for posting the address. I wonder if Canada has the same issue. I won't know until I get off work.
Old 10-07-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this set at Best Buy this afternoon and it may be one of the cheapest quality packages for a boxset I've seen in 10 years of buying dvd's. Not sure if I'll buy it now.

Last edited by tofferman; 10-07-08 at 10:37 PM. Reason: bad english
Old 10-07-08, 04:09 PM

I usually jump the second a new season of The Simpsons comes out and I'm glad I didn't. I'll wait until new packaging comes out and buy it then
Old 10-07-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh, this packaging with the sleeves IS a nightmare. I wasn't privy to this before I bought the set today, and the sad thing is, I would have bought it anyway. Not really any other way for me to watch season 11 on DVD! At least not in this quality. For the love of...
Old 10-07-08, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Woah..thats really, really bad.
Old 10-07-08, 05:15 PM

Anyone have any luck getting the discs out without ruining them? I acted with surgical precision, and 3 out of 4 of the discs are still completely scratched - and the 4th still has plenty of light scratches over its entirety as well.

Though looking at the weird patterns of scratches, I'd say most of them weren't caused by my removal - probably from something in the factory or the initial insertion. If Fox had been half as careful as I was removing them, there'd probably be only light scratching instead of the deeper ones.
Old 10-07-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm returning mine. Store credit. I, I can't believe I have to do this. I would willingly purchase The Simpsons until the current season, despite how it got stale. I have my receipt, so they better not give me a hard time. I too removed it with surgical precision, but I think the process of getting them in these things and just being housed in there in general, is what's got them scuffed and scraped. Fox really, really, really let me down. I don't think I ever turned away a DVD due to packaging, EVER. Not even the Futurama releases that had crap-tacular packaging. This has got to go though. Really. Seriously. Screw you FOX.
Old 10-07-08, 05:38 PM

I saw both the "head" and "regular" packaging at my Best Buy. i bought the "head" one though.
Old 10-07-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well I think this is inherent with any kind of Simpsons set, not just the head one. Or were you not speaking about the packaging issue? Anyways, this is what I wrote to FOX:

"The cardboard sleeve packaging is a disaster, and I'm absolutely broken hearted. I have NEVER attempted to return a DVD for my money back, based on packaging. However, this packaging has left the discs in two seperate sets I exchanged for, scuffed and scraped. Thirty dollars is too much money to throw down for a set that has an inherent issue in design that causes my discs to be scratched. Even if they weren't scratched due to this, they would eventually get scratched. If you have a replacement set I can buy that includes NO scratched discs, please get back in contact with me. In fact, I would appreciate an email on this issue anyway. I want to own EVERY season of The simpsons, but now cannot, unless FOX does something about the TERRIBLE packaging."
Old 10-07-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by geicos27
I saw both the "head" and "regular" packaging at my Best Buy. i bought the "head" one though.
Just got mine from Amazon, with the head. Carefully unglued the head off the box and promptly threw it away. It's hideous. The cover underneath is much better. The accordion sleeve case is another matter. Also, the back side of the slipcase does not close. Really, really disappointed. Why couldn't they just save their breath and keep the designs consistent from Season One on? Or is that too easy?
Old 10-07-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got mine from Amazon, with the head. Carefully unglued the head off the box and promptly threw it away. It's hideous. The cover underneath is much better. The accordion sleeve case is another matter. Also, the back side of the slipcase does not close. Really, really disappointed. Why couldn't they just save their breath and keep the designs consistent from Season One on? Or is that too easy?
Too easy.

If you have some blank thinpaks or amarays that can house 4 discs there's some excellent cover art out there for Seasons 1 - 10. I'm sure Season 11 is imminent.

I can't take all of this funky packaging. My shelf is hating me.
Old 10-07-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to put two thinpaks into the case. Problem is, I love the wall to wall original artwork on the accordion sleeve. I just wish there were standard plastic disc holders on that also.
Old 10-07-08, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
I just picked up the Krusty Head dvd and it's just the regular box with the plastic Krusty head glued on the front cover (which can be removed if your careful).

The booklet lists the extra "And Then There Were Menus" being on disk four but unless its an easter egg I coudn't find it, and yes the cardboard sleeves are a fucking nightmare.
Nevermind I found it, its in the Art and Animation bonus menu.

Easter Egg
Spoiler:
Press up on the main menu of disc 4 you will highlight a question mark in the orange booth. Press enter and you get to watch a one minute preview of the Simpsons Ride.

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 10-07-08 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, speedy's Target ad confirmed the standard release a couple weeks ago.

I saw both this morning at Target and wasn't that impressed, but i've been buying the heads. Hearing about the poor packaging makes me think i'll pass on this release as I was already on the fence to begin with on getting new Simpsons seasons.
Old 10-07-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Normally I just smile and laugh at the nitpicky little issues people have with packaging that shouldn't be a bother, but THIS debacle really does deserve every bad thing that can be said about it.

It's just incredibly hard to believe they didn't learn their lesson after the first Homer's head situation. And this is worse!
Old 10-07-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shill66
It's just incredibly hard to believe they didn't learn their lesson after the first Homer's head situation. And this is worse!
Much, much worse. The Homer head was just ugly and didn't fit. I complained like a lot of others, but it was purely superficial. If this new packaging is actually damaging DVDs this is simply unacceptable.
Old 10-07-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what I did when I got home.

I put the discs in DVD/CD sleeves and put them back into the folds of the accordion insert. I also put the back paper insert into the folds of the accordion, to keep from misplacing it. The head piece was shrink wrapped to the boxset, I didn't have to peel it off.

I love the accordion insert and I think the Krusty head piece is hilarious.
Old 10-07-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The accordion insert is going to cause a majority of the discs in this set, in anyones set, to have scuffs and scrapes, because I'm sure the packaging process isn't gentle by any means. The accordion insert isn't a bad idea on paper, but when it's executed by jamming DVD's into cardboard sleeves that don't give you the easiest access to those DVD's, there's big, big problems.

Howwon, it's great that you had the foresight to grab sleeves and put them back into the folds. However, when something is thirty dollars, should you have to provide your own sleeves to make sure the discs stay safe? It's not as if this is season 1, and FOX is learning about some big mistake they made. This is season 11. And they still can't get with the program?
Old 10-07-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the head set just for completist purposes, but it was a pain in the ass to take the discs out. I have them housing in separate cases for now, but I plan on making my own cover art and housing them in something more practical.

Awful job on Fox's part.
Old 10-07-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm hardly one for bitching about petty shit, but man what a horrible job on this box set.
Old 10-07-08, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by howwon
This is what I did when I got home.

I put the discs in DVD/CD sleeves and put them back into the folds of the accordion insert. I also put the back paper insert into the folds of the accordion, to keep from misplacing it. The head piece was shrink wrapped to the boxset, I didn't have to peel it off.

I love the accordion insert and I think the Krusty head piece is hilarious.
Yup, that's exactly what I did as well. They don't seem to fit in the actual disc pockets (and I'm sure as hell not going to try to force them, things can still scratch even in the DVD sleeves), but I just rested them inside the folds created by the accordion. If you put the accordion back in the way that it came out (disc pockets facing into the case), then there is no danger of the CD sleeves falling out of the case.

Again, not what I like to have to do when I pay $30, but it'll hold up for now.

Last edited by bevilacq12; 10-07-08 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you saying the "regular" "non-head" packaging are the same? What's the point, I thought the regular box was like the 10 previous regular editions.
I'm saying that the box for the special version of Season 11 is the same as the box for the regular version, only with a plastic Krusty plate you can remove (which makes the special version pointless as far as I'm concerned).

What's worse is that the packaging for this season, instead of a digipack, is housed in cardboard sleeves, making it more likely that the discs will get scratched (I had to fucking deal with this for There Will Be Blood!).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.