So apparently there IS a regular Simpson S11 box

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-06-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sim...-Box-Art/10642

And my Amazon preorder shipped yesterday... But they do have the regular one up now, yet it's an astounding $44.99, almost twenty bucks more than the head one at $29.99.

Disgusting, Fox.
Old 10-06-08, 11:39 PM

Someone from Nohomers.net has posted some pics of the standard box.

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=63768&page=32

The disks are stored in cardboard sleeves

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 10-06-08 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
Someone from Nohomers.net has posted some pics of the standard box.

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=63768&page=32

The disks are stored in cardboard sleeves
This, plus the special packaging is basically the regular version with a 3-D Krusty plate over it, if that makes sense.

I would have rather stuck with the digipacks, myself.
Old 10-07-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cardboard sleeves?? WTF??

Not even thinpaks?? Come on, Fox!

How inconsistent!
Old 10-07-08, 01:28 AM

ugh. why not just stick with the same type of set-up as previous seasons? it was working fine, imo at least. just seems odd to me. do they save a significant amount of money using the cardboard sleeves versus the digipak?
Old 10-07-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good thing i told myself i'd stop buying these once they released season 10. paper sleeves = no sale...ever.
Old 10-07-08, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably Fox's way of differentiating between where the good series stopped and the crappy series began!

I kid, I kid (since I believe it died a bit before season 10, *cough*)
Old 10-07-08, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Krusty-head packaging is horrible.
Old 10-07-08, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That packaging looks atrocious. I guess shouldn't be surprised though. As a series The Simpsons has probably the worst packaging of any TV show. They're all mismatched, and they all pretty much suck.
Old 10-07-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
This, plus the special packaging is basically the regular version with a 3-D Krusty plate over it, if that makes sense.

I would have rather stuck with the digipacks, myself.
Are you saying the "regular" "non-head" packaging are the same? What's the point, I thought the regular box was like the 10 previous regular editions.
Old 10-07-08, 09:24 AM
Banned

I saw this at Target for the same price as the Krusty Head.
Old 10-07-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Krusty Head today and the package itself is kinda neat. As long as they do the next four seasons this way, then I can deal with it; in a way, the inconsistency will be consistent.

However, the discs are contained in paper sleeves and is by and far the worst disc-holders I own. It is going to be so hard to get these out without scratching them.
Old 10-07-08, 11:21 AM
KLZ
Cool New Member

wow this new packaging sucks ass imo.. I hate sleeves like that, I know discs can handle it but it takes twice as long for me to get the discs out and I feel like I am scratching them up every time I pull them out or put them in. They really could have thought of better packaging than that.
Old 10-07-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone got hold of the regular non-head packaging? Is it also with sleeves or with disc-holders as before?
Old 10-07-08, 11:40 AM

I could not find the "regular" packaging - Newbury Comics and Best Buy only had the Krusty Head style, and while Amazon reports there are two versions, only the Krusty Head is shipping now. The other says 1-3 week wait, which seems odd. Not that that matters much, since the Krusty Head packaging is just the silly Krusty head on top of the standard packaging, so you can remove it and it's just like you bought the standard packaging separately.

The paper sleeves, however, are ATROCIOUS. I've already emailed Fox Home Entertainment, and will be writing a formal letter of complaint as well. Now I have the fun job tonight of custom-making something to keep the discs safe - no way in hell am I letting them get scratched up in those stupid sleeves.

edit: And I don't think that a stand-alone standard package set would have different disc holders, since the UK standard package (no Krusty Head) has the same stupid sleeves.
Old 10-07-08, 11:47 AM

So, can I buy the Krusty head package, remove it and get the regular box?

I want the standard package and I was planning to go to Best Buy and buy it with certificates, but apparently they only have the special Krusty head box.
Old 10-07-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by panchor

I want the standard package and I was planning to go to Best Buy and buy it with certificates, but apparently they only have the special Krusty head box.
That's what it sounds like.

Anyone think some custom thinpaks will fit in to this standard packaging? I'd try and make my own since I refuse to keep these in paper sleeves..
Old 10-07-08, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
That's what it sounds like.

Anyone think some custom thinpaks will fit in to this standard packaging? I'd try and make my own since I refuse to keep these in paper sleeves..
I don't know - the outer cardboard shell is really thin now, since the inner piece is just a cardboard sheet folded up with 4 disc pockets. I think two thinpacks would be just a little too big width-wise, and I'm not even sure if they'd fit height-wise.

I plan on just putting the discs immediately into individual white paper sleeves - yes, still sleeves, but those are things I can get a disc out of scratch-free every time. The problem with the cardboard sleeves in this set (and other sets) is that

1) the sleeve is too stiff, so you can't properly flex it to pull the disc out without scraping along the entire surface,

and 2) the sleeve is connected to so much other material that the disc isn't even in the clear once it's out of the sleeve - it must scrape along the rest of the material the sleeve is connected to as well until the entire disc is out. This extra material also makes it more difficult to get your hand into the pouch, and contributes to the inflexibility.

I'll give some thought to a more elaborate (and nicer-looking fix), but individual paper sleeves will at least protect the discs and let me use them in the meantime.

Last edited by bevilacq12; 10-07-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The layout of this set sounds as bad as the M.A.S.H. Martini's & Medicine box set, if not worse. Is that a fair assessment? Sounds like this was Fox's chosen method to save even more money in the manufacturing process. So much for consistency.
Old 10-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to get all the dimensions.. I need to do something, I'm not shelling out $30 for these just to scratch up.
Old 10-07-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
Anyone got hold of the regular non-head packaging? Is it also with sleeves or with disc-holders as before?
The non-head has the sleeves as well. I have it.
Old 10-07-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just by "eye-balling" the box, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 3 thinpaks in there, so 2 double-disc thinpacks plus the booklet is probably the best bet.
Old 10-07-08, 01:04 PM
KLZ
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by panchor

Yes, the krusty head plastic piece comes off pretty easily so you can convert it to the regular box and still have the special head to do with what you want.. ill probably hang mine up. I think this new idea is pretty cool so you can still get the box easily to sit on a dvd shelf and still have the special head.. too bad they had to go and switch to the sleeves for holding dvds.

Also while at bestbuy I saw both versions for sale if you had no need for the head.
Old 10-07-08, 01:16 PM

I just picked up the Krusty Head dvd and it's just the regular box with the plastic Krusty head glued on the front cover (which can be removed if your careful).

The booklet lists the extra "And Then There Were Menus" being on disk four but unless its an easter egg I coudn't find it, and yes the cardboard sleeves are a fucking nightmare.
Old 10-07-08, 01:28 PM

By the way, this is the UK standard packaging.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.