Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

Old 10-06-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in again!
Old 10-11-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fam...hristmas/10680

If anyone is interested Fye has this exclusive Family Guy Christmas dvd. It has Family Guy's only Christmas episode, but also includes last year's American Dad Christmas Episode that should have been on the volume three set. I am kind of pissed that the AD christmas show should have been on the last box set, but this was only $9.99 so I got it.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-11-08 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in. Anyone have last years topic? Not sure what I got in, if anything >_> Hell, I didn;t even know there was a checklist O_o
Old 10-12-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I added all the threads from the past 3 years on the first post as well as last year's checklist.
Old 10-12-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone started thinking about their lists yet? I printed mine out from last year to edit and add to it from holiday dvds I have just bought recently.
Old 10-13-08, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. How did I miss this thread? I don't think I'll be anywhere near 200 like I was last year. Last year I tried to watch 1 of every possible sitcom or cartoon that had a holiday theme. There are probably only a handful of shows now that I haven't tapped into. I'll try to knock out as many holiday themed DVDs I have. I should have deferred Gremlins from the October Horror Movie Challenge to this challenge. Oh well.
Old 10-13-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Has anyone started thinking about their lists yet?

I didn't print my list out, but I have it saved as a text file in Notepad, and have been adding to it as I buy new stuff. I think I missed some of the qualifying TV show episodes on new sets I bought; I should check on that pretty soon. I know last year, I had 13 Christmas movies to watch, and this year, I have 20. In fact, here are the current counts on what I have to watch. I'm not saying I'll watch all of this, but this is just the stuff I own:

Thanksgiving movies: 5
Thanksgiving TV shows: 40

Christmas movies: 20
Christmas TV specials: 14
Christmas & New Year's TV shows: 120

...for a grand total of 199. Plus, the handful of shows I watch on TV usually have some holiday-themed episodes as well.
Old 10-13-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to mention, I bought It's a Wonderful Life back in April, but have held off on watching it. I've never seen it before () so I figured I should wait until it's closer to Christmas before I finally watch it for the first time.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what all the fuss is about!

Rob
Old 10-13-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Forgot to mention, I bought It's a Wonderful Life back in April, but have held off on watching it. I've never seen it before () so I figured I should wait until it's closer to Christmas before I finally watch it for the first time.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what all the fuss is about!

Rob
We used to watch It's a Wonderful Life every single Christmas Eve before we could open presents. After about 10 years in a row, it got a little obnoxious and we kind of nixed that tradition. That was about 15 years ago, so I hadn't seen since then. I watched it again last year, and it was just amazing. I have a lot more appreciation for it now that I am an adult.
Old 10-13-08, 11:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I could see where watching it every Christmas Eve would be annoying as a kid. But now that I'm old enough to appreciate it, I can't imagine not watching it at least once per year.
Old 10-13-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are only a few movies that I can watch once every year. In general, I need at least 2 years between movie viewings. The only movies that I seem to watch every year are Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, The Matrix, and the original Star Wars Trilogy. Some of my absolute favorites I like to go even longer (like every 4-5 years) because I don't want to over-saturate myself with them. A good example would be The Shawshank Redemption.

As for It's a Wonderful Life, I think that may be a once every 2 year movie for me. Although if there is a commentary on the DVD, I may watch it and listen to that this year (last year I didn't have the DVD yet).
Old 10-13-08, 11:38 AM

Yep, some movies I just seem to have to watch, or can't turn off if I stumble upon them. But then some movies, even my favorites, I go years without watching. Partly due to the over-saturation fear, and partly due to a silly "save the best for last" philosophy of sorts. Hard to fully explain without sounding even sillier than it already does.
Old 10-13-08, 12:41 PM

I started this holiday challenge simply because I all ready do watch so many movies every Christmas that I may as well make a contest for it.
Old 10-13-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I started this holiday challenge simply because I all ready do watch so many movies every Christmas that I may as well make a contest for it.
Be honest Davy/Micky/Peter/Michael. You started this challenge to save a dying child. If we can just get 20 participants to watch 100 movies each, the child's dying wish will be granted and the angel Griswold will take them to 34th Street where a virgin will heal them.
Old 10-13-08, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Be honest Davy/Micky/Peter/Michael. You started this challenge to save a dying child. If we can just get 20 participants to watch 100 movies each, the child's dying wish will be granted and the angel Griswold will take them to 34th Street where a virgin will heal them.
Damn, you figured me out!
Old 10-23-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw Pride and Glory last night, if its still in theatres by 11/24, it would be a movie to add to anyone's list. The whole movie is set within the Christmas season.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-23-08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 01:38 PM

Speaking of that date, you still need a mod to change your thread title for you Monkees.
Old 10-23-08, 01:45 PM

I HAVE to get Christmas Vacation! I moved out of my parents' house when I got married, and realized I don't have it (our copy was my Dad's)....I know what I'm picking up this weekend. Best Christmas movie EVER.

Last edited by StephenX; 10-23-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't checked the thread from last year yet, but I don't remember "End of Days" being listed for one of the rare New Year's movies.

Unfortunately, another one that I inadvertently watched for the October Horror Movie Challenge that I should have reserved for this challenge
Old 10-24-08, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I forgot about End of Days. I usually don't watch anything after Christmas anyway because I'm done watching stuff like that at that point.
Old 10-24-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Yeah, I forgot about End of Days. I usually don't watch anything after Christmas anyway because I'm done watching stuff like that at that point.
There is a bit of a letdown after Christmas is over, but I remember last year I was really looking forward to watching Strange Days because I hadn't seen it for 6 years or so. Unfortunately, my excitement turned into disappointment when I put in the DVD and realized it wasn't anamorphic. I may have to see if the R2 German SE is available somewhere.
Old 11-02-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Before I forget, the season finale of Pushing Daisies Season 1 would falls into the Christmas/New Years timeframe. The name of the episode is Corpsicle.

I must admit, I am making a special point to mention this because I just started watching this show yesterday and it is an absolutely brilliant show. Love it.
Old 11-02-08, 10:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
One idea I wish we could add to the challenge would be to watch movies that are a holiday tradition to you but they might not be christmas movies, for example I always watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy during the holiday season. Maybe have a three wild card option for this.
I kind of like this idea for a Wild Card (or 2 or 3). Like my sister (whom I don't see very often) and I go see a movie every Thanksgiving Day and every Christmas Day as a family tradition, but it's rarely an actual holiday movie. But it FEELS like holiday because it IS part of our holiday tradition.

Personally, I'm psyched for this. First year for me, and I missed most of the October Horror Challenge. Already planning my list for this one. Gonna kick it off with Home for the Holidays, and it will culminate with Strange Days. (or When Harry Met Sally. Does that qualify for New Year's?)

Last edited by cinemaphile; 11-02-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-02-08, 10:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Numes
Before I forget, the season finale of Pushing Daisies Season 1 would falls into the Christmas/New Years timeframe. The name of the episode is Corpsicle.

I must admit, I am making a special point to mention this because I just started watching this show yesterday and it is an absolutely brilliant show. Love it.
Enjoy it while you can. Like most brilliant shows, it's looking like it'll be cancelled very soon
Old 11-07-08, 04:51 PM

I have added a new exception this year, which can be found in the rules on the first page:

A new addition to this year's challenge, as suggested by bluelitespecial is a THREE Wild Card Option. This is here to include movies you might watch as a tradition during the holidays. My family used to watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every Thanksgiving. So ANY movie is allowed, up to THREE. Thanks bluelitespecial

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.