Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

Old 11-20-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Were there results threads for the 2005 & 2006 challenge? I can't seem to locate them if there are.
Old 11-20-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got Home for the Holidays (Jodie Foster directed) and Cricket on the Hearth today from Big Lots ($3 and $5)

As for the results of the 2005 and 2006 challenges, I'm not sure but I know I did them.
Old 11-20-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trevor might know. He keeps a lot of lists.
Old 11-20-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2005 Results

2006 Results

2007 Results

I know you didn't ask for 2007, but it was right there on the page of search results, so I figured what the heck.

Rob
Old 11-20-08, 04:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Here's the 2006 results.

Nevermind, was going to add them all but Rob beat me by a minute.
Old 11-20-08, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Trevor might know. He keeps a lot of lists.
Good idea, I added the three results threads to all the other challenge links in my sig link. I'll add a bunch more challenge links soon. That way, they'll all be in one place in case the search function breaks.
Old 11-20-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Numes, one more minor note on the Thanksgiving list, the 3rd Rock From the Sun episode is listed twice (once under 3rd Rock and once under Third Rock).

Many thanks again for putting that together, it's extremely helpful!
Old 11-20-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm working on updating the lists right now...

In the meantime, I wanted to share this nugget for everyone from last year's list thread:

Originally Posted by Trevor
A Soapy Christmas * - 5/10 - I'll be honest. I did not watch this to broaden my mind and expose myself to new things. I thought it was a one hour long episode of the old sitcom Soap. But instead, it is a special on a bunch of soap opera stars making a Christmas CD.
Old 11-20-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lists are updated again. Everything through post #133.

I still have quite a few Christmas movies/shorts/specials to wade through, but I went ahead and just listed those in the post for completeness.

Besides A Soapy Christmas, I noticed Trevor watched the classics A Boyfriend for Christmas and A Grandpa for Christmas last year. I hear they're going to combine those three ideas into Grandpa's Soapy Boyfriend Christmas.
Old 11-20-08, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Numes View Post
I'm working on updating the lists right now...

In the meantime, I wanted to share this nugget for everyone from last year's list thread:

Thanks Numes Another reminder for me to keep away from the insanity of last year. I was a crazy person last year. You all should have stopped me. I thought you were my friends.

Spoilering personal ramble/rant, you can safely ignore it.
Spoiler:
Although I only spent about 7-8 hours per day watching my 500+ shows, the whole month was just Holiday Chaos. I probably spent another hour per day on my list, and another hour or two accumulating the content (shopping for DVDs, searching my collection for holiday themes, scouring the TV listings, running my DVR and DVD-recorder almost constantly, etc).

Between last year and the challenges this year, I have literally burned out two DVD Recorders. They are probably not meant to be run 24/7, constantly burning content from my DVR so that it wouldn't fill up.

So this year, while I am still very excited about the challenge and plan to fully participate, it will be much more calm. I'm not going to even glance at the TV listings this year. I have enough. I burned everything to DVD last year, so I have 600 or more Christmas titles on DVD. I think that's enough. No checklist for me this year, it just feeds my OCD. No more shopping for holiday titles. I have a few things in my DD cart right now, but that will be it for the year.

I'm obviously not saying that watching a lot is a bad thing. I'll probably be back to 5+ hours a day on the next challenge. But right now, I need a break.

Sorry for the personal ramble, but remembering that I actually watched an hour of soap opera stars sing and talk about making a Christmas CD makes me want to go back in time and slap myself silly.
Old 11-20-08, 09:25 PM

Just got Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas and Dic's Animated Christmas Blast on DVD today.

Yeah, I'm spending a lot this year!
Old 11-21-08, 01:27 AM

I know I usually use Jersey Girl as an example not to include because it's a movie that has one scene during Christmas in the beginning, but only in the beginning. Well, I feel stupid because I just bought the movie, watched it again and realized that though the movie is not about the holiday, most of the movie takes place just before Thanksgiving. So I guess it's an acceptable title to include.
Old 11-21-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One more Christmas episode to add to the list:

Monk - Mr. Monk Meets His Dad (Episode 5.9)
Old 11-21-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numes View Post
Besides A Soapy Christmas, I noticed Trevor watched the classics A Boyfriend for Christmas and A Grandpa for Christmas last year. I hear they're going to combine those three ideas into Grandpa's Soapy Boyfriend Christmas.

This whole subject has me cracking up.

And I thought having to watch programming like Dora's Christmas was bad.
Old 11-21-08, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post

This whole subject has me cracking up.

And I thought having to watch programming like Dora's Christmas was bad.
A Boyfriend for Christmas was actually a really good movie, it surprised me. I don't think I watched Grandpa, couldn't find it in my list.
Old 11-21-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A Boyfriend for Christmas was actually a really good movie, it surprised me. I don't think I watched Grandpa, couldn't find it in my list.
In my mind I was thinking that all of the crazy titles of shows/movies I got from the lists were Trevor's (or mine) but you are correct. The correct viewer of A Grandpa for Christmas is.... whitetigress.
Old 11-21-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started going going through the DVR tonight setting up recordings for Thanksgiving shows and I wanted to bring up the discussion about starting this challenge a little earlier next year. There are a lot of Thanksgiving episodes out there and it's a little unfair that Thanksgiving only gets 4 days (3 days for many because of family, cooking, etc... on Thursday.) I'm only through 4 channels and I probably have 30 shows set up to record. I know there's no way I'll get to all those, but if I were able to start say...tomorrow morning, the weekend would sure give me a lot of time to watch some of these shows, plus it will get me in the Thanksgiving mood a bit more. I might have to forgo watching A Boyfriend for Thanksgiving because The Iron Chef America Thanksgiving Showdown had priority.

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of dumb Christmas movies, I bought the dvds from ABC family, Snowglobe, Snow, and Holiday in Handcuffs. Kind of dumb but all three are pretty funny.
Old 11-21-08, 07:04 PM

Numes, TM is slightly reluctant to extend things, although we have gotten him to extend it a bit in the past.

I agree with you though, there are a lot of Thanksgiving shows and movies out there, and we really only have 3 days to watch them. I know we could watch them after Thursday, but, like most people I think, once Friday hits it's all Christmas. Same with Christmas. Come the 26th, I'm done with Christmas and move on to New Year's planning and doings.

Maybe start the Friday before Thanksgiving next year, giving us a good 5/6 days to get our Turkey viewing fix?
Old 11-21-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the idea of starting on Friday because it gives you an even week (counting Thanksgiving day) to watch your content.
Old 11-21-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like I said, just a thought and a discussion point. Personally, I wouldn't want to extend it any more past the Friday/Saturday before Thanksgiving. In looking at the TV schedule, Saturday is really when things start "cooking" (oh, horrible, I know) for Thanksgiving programming. I think I'm just a little more jazzed because I went to the store after work for some cooking supplies for Thanksgiving and looking forward to seeing the fam, etc...

Edit: I also am excited because last year's Holiday Challenge was the first time I participated in any of the DVDTalk challenges (I've been a continuous member since 2002, what was I doing??) and I really went for it last year with 200 viewings and it was a lot of fun. I watched so many random shows that I would have never watched were it not for this challenge. It also gave me an excuse to watch a lot of TV shows that I used to watch when I was growing up. Brought back a lot of memories. I hesitate using the term OCD, but I am very particular in how I watch TV shows now and it is extremely rare for me to simply watch a random episode of a TV show without watching the show in order... even for shows that don't have a continuous storyline. I already have episodes of Gilmore Girls and 7th Heaven on the DVR next week. Never seen an episode of either show and have no idea what they are about, but certainly anticipating watching them

Last edited by Numes; 11-21-08 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-21-08, 11:09 PM

Thank you to those who are responsible for the awesome lists!

I thought of another one I don't see on the Christmas list.

TV:
Merry Christmas Mr. Bean
Old 11-22-08, 01:35 AM

It's a possibility to start the challenge earlier next year, I'll think about it. I hate extending it every year though. It started December 1 through December 25, then it was extended to include Thanksgiving, then it was extended to include New Years Eve then it was extended to include New Years Day. I'll think about it, it does make sense.
Old 11-22-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I don't mind watching Thanksgiving stuff after Thanksgiving, and I'm not planning to start watching anything Christmas-related until December 1st, so I don't run out of things to watch way too early, like I did last year.

But I don't see any reason not to start the challenge the Friday before Thanksgiving next year. It made sense to keep it shorter the first year, when it was just movies, but now that TV show episodes are included, and with so many of them that we can watch, the extra time is not only a good idea, it's practically essential.

Rob
Old 11-22-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I said way back in post #22, I would favor getting an extra weekend to accomidate more Thanksgiving movies.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.