Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1)

Old 11-16-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
For anyone who can answer this, I decided to order the Black Christmas remake that came out a few years ago, but have been thinking about getting the original as well. Would it be worth my time, how do the two versions compare to one another. It will be good to have a christmas horror flick to watch along with everything else.
The original is vastly superior to the remake. Order it...you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-16-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on comments from the Horror Movie Challenge, I've been trying to get Black Christmas from my library. I went in to pick up what I thought was the original, and they handed me the remake. The funny thing is, my library has the remake and I had to try and get the original via inter-library loan. They actually went ahead and requested the remake from another library! I don't know if it was my library's error or the lending library's. I DO know that I requested the original though. Anyway, I put in the notes section of my new request that I want the original directed by Bob Clark, not the 2007 remake. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake.
Old 11-17-08, 08:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Numes View Post
I'm currently in the middle of adding my list and Trevor's list from last year. I figured between the 700 titles we watched, it would cover a lot of titles. I've already noticed quite a few doubles I didn't delete. That will be resolved shortly.

(Damn you Trevor for putting your comments on the same line as the title, it took some ingenious search/replace methods to delete that stuff)
Great job on all the lists Numes!

Sorry about not being forward thinking and formatting my list to make cut and paste easier. I admire your ingenuity though, I would have given up and just manually done it.

Couple minor things. You probably meant to add "movies" to the top of your Christmas list. I don't think the King Kong/Mighty Joe Young movies weren't officially sanctioned as counting for Thanksgiving. They could count as wildcards at the minimum, as it is a Thanksgiving tradition in many areas to show them each year.
Old 11-17-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went through the discussion thread from 2007 and this year (so far) and I have compiled a listing of everything that anyone mentioned in those threads. If I get really ambitious, I will go though last years list thread too.

I plan on keeping this list up-to-date, so I will continue to add/delete titles as mentioned.

Finally, all of this was just cut/pasted and sorted, so if there is an error, please let me know.
Impressive lists! One error: the Mad About You episode "Met Someone" should be under Christmas, not Thanksgiving.

Rob
Old 11-17-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of additions to your very impressive list, Numes:

Christmas:
Scrubs Episode 1.11 "My Own Personal Jesus"

New Years:
3rd Rock From the Sun Episode 4.9 "Happy New Dick!"

Also, the Sports Night episode "The Six Southern Gentleman of Tennessee" is listed twice.

I have in my notes that the Space: Above and Beyond episode "The River Of Stars" (1.11) might be a Christmas episode, but I haven't actually seen it yet so I can't confirm.
Old 11-17-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the Gossip Girl episodes Thanksgiving or Christmas?
Blair Waldorf Must Pie-Thanksgiving
Roman Holiday-Christmas

Tonight's Episode "The Magnificant Archibalds" is also a thanksgiving episode. I am going to tape it so I can watch it next week for my list.
Old 11-17-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just started watching my Scrubs DVDs again but I didn't time it very well. I'm going to have to ration my episodes so that I don't get to "My Day Off" until the 24th.
Old 11-17-08, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
For anyone who can answer this, I decided to order the Black Christmas remake that came out a few years ago, but have been thinking about getting the original as well. Would it be worth my time, how do the two versions compare to one another. It will be good to have a christmas horror flick to watch along with everything else.
When we saw it in theaters on Christmas day, I loved the Black Christmas remake. Now, on DVD, I think either it was the excitement of the day or I was just on crack, because the movie sucks, but it's fun enough for me to watch it again. The original...well, the thing is, I love it and there's a lot of good in it, but there are a lot of stupid crappy things about it too that no one mentions because its so beloved. To me, it's just like any other slasher, it has its flaws, but it's one of the best slashers, period, and it's well worth a look, especially if you're going to be seeing the remake too.
Old 11-17-08, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Scrubs Episode 1.11 "My Own Personal Jesus"
I LOVE that episode.
Old 11-17-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've put links to all the lists in my sig for (relatively) easy access. The Monkees - Maybe you could put links to my posts on the first post of the thread.

I will update the lists tonight with everyones comments. I was able to incorporate all of the Numes/Trevor shows for Thanksgiving, but the Christmas one is going to take a little longer... Especially since Trevor had some off-the-wall things and I wasn't sure whether to put them in movies, shows, or specials. I may leave some of those off until I can look them up on IMDB. I know there are probably quite a few dupes in the Christmas list, so hopefully that will get resolved tonight too. Ideally it would also be nice to make items bold that are also available on DVD, but maybe we'll leave that for next year.

Finally, just curious if there was going to be any change to the checklist this year? I know there was quite an expansion for the Halloween challenge. I'm not necessarily suggesting anything, but I thought it would be nice to have it finalized before the list thread goes up.

Last edited by Numes; 11-17-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 12:33 PM

I had a bunch of stuff that I found online, and some of it may be online only. I think I included either imdb or youtube/wherever links to everything in my list. At least I meant to.
Old 11-17-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I had a bunch of stuff that I found online, and some of it may be online only. I think I included either imdb or youtube/wherever links to everything in my list. At least I meant to.
Ahh yes, you did. When I pasted into Excel, I didn't paste the hyperlinks, but that will make it a lot easier. Thanks for reminding me. I will probably not include anything that was online/youtube for now.
Old 11-17-08, 01:38 PM

If they still work you might as well include them, it will make it easier for everyone to watch them. If it's an easy thing to do that is, not sure what you're doing exactly as I'm fairly clueless when it comes to excel.

Edit to add: On the checklist, we did expand it quite a bit last year. I think it was a bit longer than the one Davey put in the first post here. Whatever you all do, I'm going to try to avoid the checklist. Have to keep my OCD in check, and not get consumed for another 5 weeks. Hopefully.

Edit to add: Below is at least one draft of the expanded checklist from last year. I guess it is pretty much in the first post.

--- turns to -X- when you watch that item.

* = first time viewing
Thanksgiving Color
St. Andrew's Day Color
Christmas Color
Boxing Day Color
New Year's Color

Bingo Card/Checklist

--- Watch a Thanksgiving movie.
--- Watch a Thanksgiving TV episode.
--- Watch a Thanksgiving special.
--- Watch something animated about Thanksgiving.

--- Watch a Christmas movie.
--- Watch a Christmas TV episode.
--- Watch a Christmas special.
--- Watch something animated about Christmas.
--- Watch It's a Wonderful Life.
--- Watch some version of A Christmas Carol.

--- Watch a New Year's movie.
--- Watch a New Year's TV episode.
--- Watch a New Year's special.
--- Watch something animated about New Year's.

--- Watch something Charlie Brown.
--- Watch something about St. Andrew's Day.
--- Watch something about Christ.
--- Watch something Garfield.
--- Watch an Oscar winner.
--- Watch an Emmy winner.
--- Watch some version of Miracle on 34th Street.

Super Geek Addendum:

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1890's.
--- 1890:
--- 1900:
--- 1910:
--- 1920:
--- 1930:
--- 1940:
--- 1950:
--- 1960:
--- 1970:
--- 1980:
--- 1990:
--- 2000:
--- Watch a film/show from the year you were born.

--- Watch the MST3K version of a film.
--- Watch a film/show and its remake.
--- Watch a film/show based on or turned into a video game.
--- Watch a film/show based on a novel.
--- Watch a silent film.
--- Watch a film/show with commentary.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place in space.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place on or under the sea.

Watch a film/show for each rating:
--- G
--- PG
--- PG-13
--- R
--- Unrated

Last edited by Trevor; 11-17-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dug through my old videotapes looking for Christmas shows and found a few that are available on DVD. I didn't see them on the list.

The Addams Family 2.15 "Christmas with the Addams Family"
Alfred Hitchcock Presents 1.12 "Santa Claus and the Tenth Avenue Kid"
The Dick Van Dyke Show 3.13 "The Alan Brady Show Presents"
The Donna Reed Show 1.14 "A Very Merry Christmas"
The Flintstones 5.15 "Christmas Flintstone"
Green Acres 2.13 "An Old-Fashioned Christmas"
Happy Days 2.11 "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas"
Mork & Mindy 1.12 "Mork's First Christmas"
Quantum Leap 3.10 "A Little Miracle - December 24, 1962"

According to IMDb the Mork & Mindy episode will be airing on SciFi channel on Fri. Nov. 28 at 1:00PM.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-17-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
According to IMDb the Mork & Mindy episode will be airing on SciFi channel on Fri. Nov. 28 at 1:00PM.
Speaking of shows airing on TV, Rob over in the TV forum has posted a fairly thorough list of holiday themed content that will be airing over the next month or so. Here's a link to the the thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/543...-schedule.html
Old 11-17-08, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Speaking of shows airing on TV, Rob over in the TV forum has posted a fairly thorough list of holiday themed content that will be airing over the next month or so. Here's a link to the the thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/543...-schedule.html
Great catch. Maybe you should add that to the first post TM.
Old 11-17-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Done:
1. Incorporated everyones comments through post #116.
2. Thanksgiving Lists are completely updated.
3. New Years Lists are completely updated.
4. Christmas TV shows* and Specials* are updated.
5. Separate Shorts out from Movies/TV Shows/Specials as best I could

Need to do:
1. Go through Christmas movies
2. There are about 80 Christmas Specials/Shorts that I have to go through. Some might be TV episodes and a lot are specials, so that is what the (*) is for above.

Trevor - I had to remove your links last night because it is simply maddening to try and work in Excel with hyperlinks. Just clicking a cell will open the URL. However, I'm not throwing anything away as I said I might earlier.
Old 11-18-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just ordered the original Black Christmas on Blu-Ray today from BestBuy.com using a $10 certificate I got it for $12.73 shipped. Looking forward to it. Though I don't usually watch horror movies for this challenge (last year I did view Silent Night, Deadly Night with a friend) but I might check this out for the challenge, not sure.
Old 11-18-08, 11:11 AM

I think I"m going to have one horror night, where I watch 3 or 4 Christmas horror films. Besides the two you just mentioned, I'm pretty sure there are several more out there.
Old 11-18-08, 02:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Numes:

A few I have in my personal collection that aren't on your list:
(titles marked with "*" are not commercially available on VHS/DVD)

My So-Called Life - "So-Called Angels" (Christmas)
My So-Called Life - "Resolutions" (New Year's)
Dawson's Creek 3.8 - "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" (Thanksgiving)
Dawson's Creek 6.10 - "Merry Mayhem" (Christmas)
Amazing Stories - "Santa '85"
Mad About You 7.7 - "The Thanksgiving Show" *
Mad About You 4.9 - "New Year's Eve" *
Cupid - "Hung Jury" (Christmas)*
Partners - "How Long Does It Take to Cook a 22-Pound Turkey?" (Thanksgiving)*
Partners - "Fourteen Minutes" (Christmas)*
Partners - "The Year of Bob" (New Year's)*
Miss Match - "Jive Turkey" (Thanksgiving)*
Miss Match - "Santa, Baby" (Christmas)*

Last edited by cinemaphile; 11-19-08 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think I"m going to have one horror night, where I watch 3 or 4 Christmas horror films. Besides the two you just mentioned, I'm pretty sure there are several more out there.
You should check out this recent thread in Movie Talk.

Rob
Old 11-19-08, 07:25 AM

Saw something very disturbing at Wal-mart yesterday.

You know those holiday collections that contain Rudolph, Frosty, and all the like? There are several different versions of it. Here's one.

They seem to re-release it every year with slight changes. Also, there have been store exclusive versions of it in the past, with slight changes or additions.

There seems to be yet another version of this, this time with actual new features. It is called Classic Christmas Favorites, contains the usual suspects of Rudolph, The Grinch, Frosty, "and new for 2008 are three specials previously unavailable on DVD: The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold (1981), Pinocchio's Christmas (1980), and The Stingiest Man in Town (1978)"

I hate to triple/quintuple dip on some of the standards, but those three specials have never been on DVD and are hard to find on TV. Anyone else tempted?

Originally Posted by RobCA View Post
You should check out this recent thread in Movie Talk.

Rob
Cool, thanks! Own 4 or so, might rent a couple more.
Old 11-19-08, 09:07 AM

I have a few Christmas things on my list that I don't see mentioned:

Movies:
While You Were Sleeping
Christmas in the Clouds

Specials:
Opus N' Bill in A Wish for Wings that Work
Creature Comforts - Merry Christmas Everybody

TV:
Due South: 1.10 The Gift of The Wheelman
Early Edition: 1.11 Christmas
Old 11-19-08, 11:46 PM

List thread is now up here
Old 11-20-08, 12:59 AM

Hey, what about Chrismukkah?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.