DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1/1) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/540957-its-beginning-look-lot-like-4th-annual-holiday-movie-challenge-11-24-1-1-a.html)

FantasticVSDoom 12-29-08 07:52 AM

Well, I hit 100 (need to update my list) for the first time in one of these challenges, so thats cool... But since I don't have any New Year's stuff Im done.

The Monkees 12-29-08 01:08 PM

I'm done anyway, I never watch anything after Christmas. I didn't even hit close to my goal from last year, which is too bad.

Trevor 12-29-08 03:06 PM

I'm done as well. The combination of being a bit depressed (first holidays without Dad) and needing to read like 30 books this month to complete my 2008 reading resolution pretty much killed it.

I'll be back in the mood next year, promise. I love Christmas.

WallyOPD 12-29-08 03:39 PM

I've got three more things on my list for this year (one more holdover Christmas episode and 2 New Year's episodes) which should bring me to an even 80 for this year.

The Monkees 12-30-08 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9161874)
I'm done as well. The combination of being a bit depressed (first holidays without Dad) and needing to read like 30 books this month to complete my 2008 reading resolution pretty much killed it.

I'll be back in the mood next year, promise. I love Christmas.

Sorry to hear you lost your dad. I lost my mom right before Thanksgiving 2 years ago. It really sucks, the holidays are defintely not the same.

Bluelitespecial 12-30-08 09:04 PM

I think its safe to say I am done this year as well, I beat my goal from last year, but didn't end up watching everything I wanted to. I think for next year I need to plan the movies and tv shows I watch a little bit better, because I started out good with all tv shows, but the closer I got to Christmas all I had left to watch was movies, and I had a lot of family around to keep from watching what was left on my list.

RobCA 12-30-08 11:00 PM

I decided to watch my New Year's stuff today, instead of waiting until tomorrow, so I'm officially done too. I wound up with 230... 60 more than I watched last year. :)

Rob

Bluelitespecial 01-01-09 12:14 PM

Happy New Year

edwardnortonfan 01-01-09 12:22 PM

Well, I made it halfway to 100 this time. I'm getting better. :-p

LBCrazyFool 01-01-09 01:04 PM

I finished with 66. My goal was 60 so I am happy. There was so much more I wanted to watch, but with football and family stuff going on during this time, it gets tough to fit in everything!

The Monkees 01-01-09 01:43 PM

Just a reminder the challenge ends tonight at midnight!

Walker Boh 01-02-09 12:23 PM

I finished up the challenge with It's a Wonderful Life. It'd been a couple of years since I'd watched it, and I appreciated it even more than I used to. I don't know if it's because I'm at a different point in my life or what, but I really "got it" this time around. What a great movie; definitely one that deserves its classic status.

All in all, the contest inspired me to watch a lot more holiday-themed stuff than I usually do. There was a little bit of pure crap in there (like The Christmas Clause, a made-for-TV movie starring Lea Thompson), but I enjoyed the vast majority of it.

WallyOPD 01-02-09 12:25 PM

Good times, I forgot about the Family Guy New Year's episode so that pushed me up to 81. I'm looking forward to next year's challenge, it really helps to enhance my enjoyment of the season.

Darth Maher 01-02-09 02:33 PM

As usual for me, I just ran out of time. I watched a lot more TV shows from DVD this year so that was fun to get reacquainted with shows I haven't watched in a while (ie. "Friends", "NewsRadio")

The Monkees 01-02-09 05:10 PM

Winners should be up next week sometime!

Numes 01-04-09 09:58 AM

Boy, I was completely worthless in this challenge this year. It's so surprising because of how much fun I had last year watching 200 titles. For me, it was a combination of massive top-to-bottom cleaning of my house as well as attempting to re-watch all 4 seasons of LOST before it starts up again in January. No holiday episodes there.

I bought a few DVDs this year for the challenge and didn't even watch them, I will do a lot better next year.

The Monkees 01-04-09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Numes (Post 9173611)
I bought a few DVDs this year for the challenge and didn't even watch them

I did the same thing!

Chad 01-04-09 02:29 PM

Well, I finished just two shy of my '07 total. It's amazing how eerily similar it is compared to last year's. :eek:

Originally Posted by cinemaphile (Post 9154000)
Anyone else notice how much Christmas gets in the way of watching Christmas movies?

Very much so! And that's precisely why close to half of my list was viewed after Christmas.

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 9161600)
I'm done anyway, I never watch anything after Christmas.

For some reason I have trouble viewing any holiday-related programming after New Year's. Currently I've got a dilemma - a TiVo full of unwatched Christmas-themed shows that I have no clue what to do with. :lol:

Darth Maher 01-05-09 03:07 PM

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 4th Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (11/24-1

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 9174130)
Currently I've got a dilemma - a TiVo full of unwatched Christmas-themed shows that I have no clue what to do with. :lol:

I deleted most of the holiday stuff from my DVR. Anything that I thought I might watch next year for sure, I put on a DVD-R. I had to make room for all those HD Friday the 13th movies on HDNET this month. :)