Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

31 Films in 31 Days - Horror Challenge Subset

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Somehow pretty much avoided all the Dead films until about a year or two ago, and have now watched the original a few times.

Watched my Millennium Edition version, and holy crap, what were they thinking making those additions? Awful! I'll have to find a better version, or perhaps just wait for BluRay.
I thought it was the Anchor Bay 30th Anniversary Edition that had the additions.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1041
Old 10-06-08, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Night of the Living Dead

Originally Posted by clckworang
I thought it was the Anchor Bay 30th Anniversary Edition that had the additions.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1041
You're 100% right, with all the various editions out there (9 now?), I get confused.

I was stupid and bought that 30th AE before I knew better. Still waiting to find a better edition on sale or in a used bin someday.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-08 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add title
Old 10-06-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're 100% right, with all the various editions out there (9 now?), I get confused.

I was stupid and bought that 30th AE before I knew better. Still waiting to find a better edition on sale or in a used bin someday.
You caught me off guard because I watched the Millennium edition this weekend and didn't notice anything added.

I also have the 30th anniversary edition. That was a huge pile of crap.
Old 10-06-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Night of the Living Dead

I watched my old Elite DVD (the one in the funky clear case) which I hadn't watched it in several years. Now I don't remember if I've ever listened to the commentaries, so I guess I have something to look forward to in Nov.

I love the news footage of the posse hunting the zombies, but how exactly did the TV news crew "just get back" at 3 am with daylight footage? And after the electric lines went down, where was all that light in the cellar coming from?
Old 10-06-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Nightmare On Elm Street

Those comments seem to confirm to me to perhaps avoid the boxset. I really enjoy the first film, but the snippets I've seen of the "Benny Hll Freddy" just turn me off.
I would definitely give Part 3 a try before you write off the series. Freddy hadn't become a full blown goof ball yet. In fact Part 3 does a good job of balancing old and new Freddy. When he is being "funny", it's not over the top.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 10-06-08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoy the first film, but the snippets I've seen of the "Benny Hll Freddy" just turn me off.
He's all business in New Nightmare, and sports the best makeup job of the series.
Old 10-06-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with both of the above comments. I would at least try watching Part 3 and New Nightmare. Part 4 is when Freddy starts to get increasingly campy, though I thought there were a couple of good moments in 4.
Old 10-06-08, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only Freddy movies one really needs are Nightmare on Elm street (part 1), ANOES pt. 3, and New Nightmare (my pick for the best film in the entire series).
Old 10-06-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A Nightmare on Elm Street series

Personally, I really liked watching all 7 movies in a row, it was a lot of fun. I had seen 1-6 before, but I had never seen New Nightmare. A Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 3 are a must. I also liked 2. New Nightmare was ok, but I wasn't terribly impressed and the plot didn't win me over. As for the makeup in New Nightmare, yes it was different, but I wouldn't necessarily say better/best (that's a relative term). I did love Freddy in the bright green hat though.
Old 10-06-08, 06:33 PM

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I actually don't own any Freddy, rented the first one for this list. So based on 3 of them being worthwhile, and my love of extras, I'll go ahead and buy the boxset for $23, add in another Something Weird sale title for free shipping I imagine.
Old 10-06-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Night of the Living Dead - "They're dead, they're all messed up"

First off, let's get baselined. I watched the Elite Millenium Edition (the one with the red case.) I have seen this movie once before, and I can certainly appreciate the movie for what it was when it was made, but it is not really a movie I will watch many more times in the future. I'll probably listen to the Romero commentary more times than watching the movie.

I wish I was old enough to have watched this when it came out (or near when it came out) to perhaps appreciate it as a turning point in horror cinema (if not cinema itself.) I doubt there were many leading actors at that time who were black.

I think my favorite part of the movie is the zombie daughter eating the dads arm and then going and killing (stabbing like 15 times) the mom...the scream is great. Good stuff. Apparently she was full after all that arm eating, because mom wasn't touched. I know I get quite full after eating arm.
Old 10-06-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nosferatu

Although I am late to the game, I figured I'd finally throw in my two cents on Nosferatu.

Here's what I wrote on my list...

After an extremely late start, my horse has finally left the gate. This is my first time seeing this movie all the way through... And although I respect this movie for what it is, I didn't love it. At first, I thought that maybe it was because it was a silent movie, but then I remembered how much I loved "The General" with Buster Keaton. Maybe after watching "Shadow of the Vampire", I'll have a new love for this one.
I don't know which version of the movie this was as the DVD I own is from a local horror host show so their segments were intercut with the movie. The movie was using the Dracula names (as somebody mentioned before) and the soundtrack was kind of varied. Some it was kind of jazzy with a beatnik kind of drum and bass line.
Old 10-07-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re-Animator

I'll save compliments for tomorrow since that's the rules, but It's too bad this movie couldn't have been picked to watch on the 10th of October.
Old 10-08-08, 11:09 AM

The Shining

Kubrick was a genius with the camera. This and Nosferatu are the only movies I've watched so far this challenge that have actually scared me.

Apparently, the original edit was about 30 minutes longer, and seen in theaters in NY during a test release. Shame those scenes aren't available on DVD, unless I'm (hopefully) wrong.

Here are a couple of DVDtalk threads trying to make sense of the ending.

I'll go with, "It's a Kubrick movie, it could be a dozen different things." Not a negative statement btw.
Old 10-08-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Shining

This movie is a masterpiece. The music and the cinemetography are second to none. The acting is superb. Jack is amazing, as usual. I can't imagine Danny being any more perfect than he was. His subtle change in look from Danny/Tony was brilliant. It's hard to believe a little kid pulled that off so beautifully. Shelly Duvall is perfect in her role as Wendy. I was not a big fan of Scatman Crothers as Dick Hallorann. I thought his scene with Danny in the kitchen was great, but all of his other scenes felt a little forced. This is my favorite Kubrick movie.

This is probably the 4th time I've seen this movie. The first time was very very intense. Now, since I know what's going to happen, it doesn't impact me nearly as much, but there are definitely some spine-tingling moments.

The tagline for this movie is: "A Masterpiece of Modern Horror." I think they got that exactly right.

P.S. I just realized this movie counts as an Academy Award winner for the checklist.

Last edited by Numes; 10-08-08 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-08-08, 12:31 PM

The Shining

Originally Posted by Numes
This movie is a masterpiece.

P.S. I just realized this movie counts as an Academy Award winner for the checklist.
Agreed.

But I don't think it won an Oscar.
Old 10-08-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed.

But I don't think it won an Oscar.
Whoa. What the heck happened. I was on the IMDB page looking for Shelley Duvall's name, and I swear under awards it said "Won Oscar."

I must have clicked on a different movie. It wasn't even nominated for an Oscar I will edit my post.

Edit: Ok, I clicked on Stanley Kubrick on IMDB, and he won an Oscar. Whoopsies.
Old 10-08-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re-Animator

Wow, this film even impressed Ebert:

Roger Ebert gave the film three out of four stars and wrote, "I walked out somewhat surprised and reinvigorated (if not re-animated) by a movie that had the audience emitting taxi whistles and wild goat cries".

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'll save compliments for tomorrow since that's the rules, but It's too bad this movie couldn't have been picked to watch on the 10th of October.
What's the significance of that date? I'm holding off until the 18th in honor of its original release back in '85. That, and certain classics I just prefer watching closer to Halloween.
Old 10-08-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
What's the significance of that date?
That's the date of West's first human subject in the morgue.

I was also really surprised when I heard that Ebert gave the film a positive review. But then I later found out that Stuart Gordon basically worked right across the street from Ebert on stage plays. Could've been a "Hometown-cooking" review, but the movie still kicks ass nonetheless.
Old 10-09-08, 10:57 AM

Re-Animator

How many of you have triple dipped on this title?

Each release has slightly different extras, and I'll admit I've been suckered into them all.
Old 10-09-08, 11:06 AM

Re-Animator

Some interesting stuff on the wiki page. Another sequel (or three) in the works!

As much as I love this film, I don't think I've ever watched either of the two sequels. Any thoughts on them?
Old 10-09-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
As much as I love this film, I don't think I've ever watched either of the two sequels. Any thoughts on them?
I watched Bride of Re-Animator and Beyond Re-Animator for the first time the other day. I thought Bride was really good. If you like the first one, I think it's safe to say you'll like Bride. Beyond I thought was just so-so.

The sequels both have 5.9 ratings on IMDb for what it's worth.
Old 10-09-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re-Animator

Some interesting stuff on the wiki page. Another sequel (or three) in the works!

I've only seen the first one. I own Re-Animator and Beyond Re-Animator. I've always wanted to get Bride of Re-Animator, but I was holding out for the OOP Pioneer version that had the additional extra features. However, I just looked on dvdcompare.net and that version is non-anamorphic. Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I am very particular on watching all the sequels of a movie if I haven't seen them before, so I will probably not watch Re-Animator for this challenge since I don't own Bride of Re-Animator. I guess just hope the unrated version gets re-released someday with the commentaries.
Old 10-09-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re-Animator and its sequels

I bought the Millennium Edition when it first came out. Then I won the new Anchor Bay version at Flashback Weekend this summer.

I really liked Bride of Re-Animator, but I don't own it yet, nor do I own the third one. I thought the beginning of Beyond Re-Animator was decent and I liked the premise, but it got silly really fast.

I hope if House of Re-Animator happens, it is more in the same vein as the first two movies.
Old 10-09-08, 04:58 PM

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Too busy at work to post this really, but I just wanted to try to get something started about this classic. More tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.