Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why to people buy DVDs anywhere but online?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now aside from used DVDs, which I frequently buy at all types of places, I don't think I've bought a new DVD in an actual store in AGES.

People constantly complain about not being able to find titles at Best Buy, etc, but why are they bothering?

It's almost always tax free, and usually shipping is free, but often even when I pay for shipping the cost is still cheaper than buying it in a store.

I get things online cheaper and often on release day (if I pre-order) so why would people bother buying them in a store?
Old 09-25-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm picky about the condition of my cases / slipcovers. I like to visually inspect them and also shake them to make sure there are no "floaters".
Old 09-25-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For most people, I think it's "Instant Gratification". People want new releases the day they come out, and don't want to wait for pre-orders to come late in the mail.
Old 09-25-08, 07:47 AM

My buying habits are mostly 50/50.

Most of the times new release deals are good enough or there is an exclusive I really want and some of the sales ($3.99, etc) are pretty good. But really there is just something to be said for browsing the aisles of a B&M and just picking some stuff up. Real life shopping. Usually, if I am only going to save a buck or two... I just don't worry about it.

That being said... if it's $50 in store and $30 bucks online... I can usually wait and order it. And I very rarely buy a Criterion disc new at a store.
Old 09-25-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I mean if we are talking 1-2 dollars, I would rather just have it and not wait... If its a substantial difference, then yeah online it is. However, sometimes there are more issues to be dealt with online as well. I havent had too many problems with Amazon, but I will never do DDD anymore because of a all the issues I have had with them.
Old 09-25-08, 07:53 AM

I like the exclusive extras they offer at the stores (metal case, figure, etc.)

Also, at the first week of the release, the price is somewhat competitive with the online prices.

And during some of their sales, they are actually cheaper than what I can get online.

Like when bestbuy offered 2 Blu ray for $30. I picked up blade runner, and Pan's Labyrinth for $30+tax (online, the best price would be BR - $25, PL - $20 - saved close to $15 by buying at the store)

So, it is good idea to check out the stores too.
Old 09-25-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
It's almost always tax free, and usually shipping is free, but often even when I pay for shipping the cost is still cheaper than buying it in a store.
When I buy in a store it's always tax free, shipping is free and it's faster than any mail person can deliver.

I get to inspect the actual item I want for any damages and get the exact one I want.

It's not always cheaper online.

Exclusive bonuses that you don't get if you order online.

I'll order online when there's a big enough difference in price or I can't find in a local store.
Old 09-25-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buying online is actually less convenient for me. It's easier to pick something up going to or from work, or during my Saturday morning errands, than to have to wait at home for a package 5-7 days in the future (especially when they can't tell me the exact delivery date before I purchase to make things easier to plan). When I catch a good sale, or am buying something larger (complete series sets / electronics / etc.) of course I'll order online to save money, but it's usually not worth the trouble to only save a dollar or two on a regular DVD.

Things would be different and I'd order pretty much everything online if there weren't so many stores nearby (within convenient driving distance, Best Buy (x2), Circuit City (x2), Target (x3), Wal-mart (x5)) ... or if I lived in a place where the UPS guy could leave a package by my front door without worrying if it'll still be there that night ... or if I could have everything shipped USPS and have most of it put in my mailbox and just pick up the bigger items from the post office at my convenience.
Old 09-25-08, 08:45 AM

For all the reasons listed above (especially the inconvience of coming home to find out that I have to go back out to the local post office, fed ex office or ups office) but mostly because I enjoy "The Hunt". A few months ago when I got really into Woody Allen Films I could have just gone online and ordered all of them but I enjoyed going to different stores and hunting for them. Most places had his new films like "Scoop" or "Match Point" and a couple had Annie Hall but it took awhile to find Hanna And Her Sisters and I still haven't found Interiors, but its all part of the fun.
Old 09-25-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if a store has an exclusive that i want or if the price difference is minimal (to include tax), i will pick up a dvd at a B&M (usually BB). however, the majority of my purchases now come from amazon.
Old 09-25-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I look for sales at the store. If I can find a title marked down in price I will buy it.
But I also buy a lot of titles on line also.
Old 09-25-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of unbeatable bargains in store. $3.99-$4.99 deals at Best Buy/CC are usually $2-5 cheaper than online. $3 deals at Big Lots. FYE around me runs all sorts of B2G1 type deals, with extra trade in credit and extra discounts available.

Personally, I prefer online. I have most of the titles that show up cheap in store. At this point I require the selection of online sites.

-beebs
Old 09-25-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I only buy in stores if there is a huge sale on a title, and it's at/below the best online prices. Also, I'll buy on a whim if I'm itching to spend some cash while grocery shopping at Target.

I also hate it when I get a DVD from an online retailer and the case is cracked/broken. Sure, I can box it back up and return it...but I've rarely done so because of how much of a pain in the ace it is.
Old 09-25-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Visual inspection of things like slipcovers and exclusive extras are the main things.
Old 09-25-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
"Instant Gratification"
There's your answer.

Plus you can do the shake test and not have to keep your fingers crossed hoping the dvd you are waiting several days to receive isn't scratched.
Old 09-25-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another aspect to consider is that sometimes DVD purchases are impulse buys made when out shopping for something else.

"Honey, since we have to get a new DVD player, why don't we pick up some new movies also?"

"Dear, since we're here to get you a new hairdryer, I think I'll pick up a couple of new movies."
Old 09-25-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
When I buy in a store it's always tax free, shipping is free and it's faster than any mail person can deliver.

I get to inspect the actual item I want for any damages and get the exact one I want.

It's not always cheaper online.

Exclusive bonuses that you don't get if you order online.

I'll order online when there's a big enough difference in price or I can't find in a local store.
Ok, Mister Peepers. Do you really need to get your DVDs right away?

You have about 3 times as many unwatched movies as I have movies in my whole collection. Quick delivery can not be a driving factor towards you DVD purchases.

I'm with the OP on this one, I haven't bought a DVD at a B&M in probably 3 years. However, most peoples reasons are unimportant to me (timeliness, exclusives, etc...)

When I first started collecting, I liked having the instant gratification by picking up a title at Best Buy or something, but after I hit about 100, it was almost solely online purchases. For the most part, even if the price is close (which it usually isn't even close) at a B&M, I just hate going into places like Best Buy or whatever unless I absolutely need something... Plus tax is usually a killer.

I will say, I have been burned a couple times on floaters or damaged DVDs, but now I always open up the DVD right away after I get it in the mail and inspect it.
Old 09-25-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by basaro
For most people, I think it's "Instant Gratification". People want new releases the day they come out, and don't want to wait for pre-orders to come late in the mail.
It's fun going out every Tuesday morning looking for the new releases. It probably makes a lot more sense if I just ordered online being that I'm in a wheelchair, but I like getting out. You don't always find what you're looking for, but that's the fun of it. Then you have to go to the next store (the Best Buy and Future Shop I go to are in the same lot) and see if they have it. If none of the stores have it then I will get a BB or FS gift card for the amount I need and order it online.

It is also right across the street from the Canad Inns Stadium (Where the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) play) and Polo Park shopping centre. Most stores for clothing, furniture, etc. are in that area so I can get other things if I need them as well.
Old 09-25-08, 11:41 AM

Amazon Prime + gas prices = online only for me
Old 09-25-08, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spooon69
Amazon Prime + gas prices = online only for me

Amazon Prime + gas prices + unadvertised price drops = You Have To Be Crazy to go to a B&M for dvds.

Today I picked up The Ritz for 8.49 (good luck finding that one in a store anyway, much less at 60% off).

I don't even go in for the DeepDiscount sales anymore.
Old 09-25-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my state where the sales tax is almost 10%, I don't see how B&M make it. I buy everything I can online and usually get a free shipping deal too. Amazon's free shipping for >$25 is pretty easy to reach. If I need a $600 video camera or $2000 computer, I'll not buy it in a store. I'll duck into a store occassionally and pick something up if it's a discounted item. Someday, it will surely end as more and more people shop online and local businessman complain and the state notices its sales tax revenue is not increasing as it should.
Old 09-25-08, 12:14 PM

Another vote for instant gratification and exclusives. Other than that, online is better for me. I try to avoid Best Buy as much as possible.
Old 09-25-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Now aside from used DVDs, which I frequently buy at all types of places, I don't think I've bought a new DVD in an actual store in AGES.

People constantly complain about not being able to find titles at Best Buy, etc, but why are they bothering?

I get things online cheaper and often on release day (if I pre-order) so why would people bother buying them in a store?
Because it can be fun.

My collection is stable and mature. Except for a handful of $3 discs I bought at Big Lots, it has been 8-10 months since the last time I bought a DVD. I have no interest in new releases. So on those occasions that I find myself in Fry's Electronics, I'll stroll up and down the aisles and find an oddball back catalog title. Usually a fun title that I had forgotten about. It's fun to find it, buy it, take it home and watch it.
Old 09-25-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few things:

1. I have so many DVDs and am usually busy that I almost never get to watch a DVD ON the release day, so I don't mind waiting a day or three extra to get it in the mail since I won't get to watch it on release day.

2. I've never seen a store exclusive that actually made me want to shop at the store, fluff promotional interview DVDs, cheap toys, nothing really that drew me. I have gone to BB to purchase a few of the BB "exclusive" genre titles they had (from Legend for example) however.

3. I'm not saying I never buy from stores, I'm subject to an onsale inpulse buy every now and then, but often times if I see something in the store I'll stop myself and realize I can get it cheaper online (especially if I get it used).

4. I don't care much about the condition of a DVD case (unless it's some weird packaging) as long as the DVD is undamaged and watchable.

The thing that really set me off on this thread are people complaining about not being able to find a title at B and M stores, why not just buy it online? There it is, online. People to to 48 different stores trying to find something when they could buy it cheaper, faster and easier online and probably have it in their hands in a couple of days.
Old 09-25-08, 01:28 PM

Also, I should mention that the current trend of "store exclusive" dvds (the Best Buy Legend titles, the Walmart Lions Gate double features) p*sses me off to no end.

The stores are doing it to try and increase traffic (since they know they are losing sales to etailers) but the dvds are all being bought up by 3rd party resellers.

I wanted to see Son Of Rambow until I found out it was a Best Buy exclusive. They took a movie that failed to find an audience in the theater and went out of their way to make sure it doesn't on dvd either. Brilliant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.