Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***LISTS GO HERE!***

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***LISTS GO HERE!***

Old 09-26-08, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

October 1
1)30 Days of Night (Blu-Ray) - Faithful adaptation of the graphic novel. Great images. If you have the equipment, this movie looks great in Blu-Ray. Movie: 5/5, Disc/Picture: 5/5

2) I Am Legend (Blu-Ray) - Keeping with the big budget vampire theme. Loosely based on the Richard Matheson novel. If you overlook the obvious plot hole in the middle of the movie it is quite enjoyable. Most people don't like the CGI creatures, but I thought they looked good. Will Smith is brilliant. Movie looks great in hi-def as you would expect from a recent release. Movie 4/5, Disc/Picture 5/5

October 2
3)The Thing (John Carpenter's) (Blu-Ray) - I know some are waiting to view this one later in the month, but I just got the new Blu-Ray edition & couldn't wait to crack it open. No disappointments here. The picture looks better than ever with vivid details. I have seen this one many times...Great Flick! Movie 5/5, Disc 5/5

October 3
4) I Walked with a Zombie (1943) (DVD) - Nice atmospheric voodoo story from the Val Lewton Horror Collection. Movie 3/5

5) Isle of the Dead (DVD) - Another one from the Val Lewton Horror Collection. This one stars Boris Karloff battling the plague & evil spirits. Mildly entertaining. Movie 3/5

6) Shutter (2007) (PPV HD) - Basically a cross between the Grudge & The Ring. Did have its moments & not as bad as many have said. Ending was pretty creepy. Maybe I'm just not tired of the pissed off Japanese ghost thing yet. Movie 3.5/5

October 4
7) The Creeping Flesh (DVD) - Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing in a "Hammer-Like" film. One I had not seen in a long time. Very worthwhile. Movie 3.5/5

8) Dawn of the Dead (2004) (Blu-Ray) - They got it right on this one. Fun, fast paced, and a descent amount of gore. The new Blu-Ray edition is a big improvement over the standard DVD. Movie: 5/5 Disc 5/5

9) A Nightmare on Elm Street (DVD) - What more can be said about this film? A staple every October. Hopefully there will be a Blu-Ray edition soon, but the Infinifilm remastered edition looks pretty good. Good color & detail. Movie 5/5 Disc 4.5/5

October 5
10) Night of the Living Dead (1990) (DVD) - Directed by Tom Savini with a screenplay by G. Romero. I decided to save the orginal for later in the month so I watched this nicely done remake. Stars horror legend Tony Todd with a brief appearance by Bill Mosely. Movie 4/5

11) Diary of the Dead (DVD) - First time watching the latest from the zombie master himself. Not as bad as I had read, but the shakey camera movies have to stop. Too hard to watch sometimes. This one is not as "shakey" as Cloverfield, but still too much for my taste. Movie 3.5/5

12) Land of the Dead (Blu-ray) - Finished off the Romero Trifecta with this one. More "Hollywood" than normal for Romero. Social commentary is in your face. Fun movie overall. I think Dennis Hopper gives a "creepier" performance than most of the zombies Look for a zombie cameo from Simon Pegg of Shawn of the Dead! Movie 3.5/5; Disc 4/5

13) Resident Evil (Blu-Ray) - Mila & Zombies

14) Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Blu-Ray) - More Mila & More Zombies

October 6
15)Resident Evil: Extinction (Blu-Ray) - Bigger budget, good story, lots of zombies, and Mila gone Road Warrior.....What more can you ask for?

16) Phantasm (DVD) - Features one of the all time great horror movies characters, The Tall Man. Phantasm belongs in any serious horror fans library. Remastered Anchor bay disc features a descent image. Colors are faded a bit at times though and picture is slightly dark. I'm sure this is the best it has looked though. Blu-Ray on the way? Movie 4.5/5 DVD 4/5

October 7
17)Phantasm III (DVD) - One of the lesser enties in the Phantasm series, picks up wher Phantasm II leaves off (Where the heck is Phantasm II on DVD anyway?). It has its moments though & the Tall Man steals the show. Movie 3.5/5 DVD 4/5

18) Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds (DVD) - Written by the same duo as the first, this one amps up the gore & the "Bad taste". Could have used a little "trimming" in the middle....Not for everybody, but if you like your humor on the dark side & don't mind buckets of gore, and insanely hot chicks with guns then give this one a spin. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

19)Clive Barker's The Plague (SHO HD) - Something about every child in the world going into a coma for 10 years & waking up wanting to kill everyone. Not sure how Clive Barker is attached to this turkey. It's Children of the Corn meets Night of the Living Dead only much less scary (or interesting). Movie 2/10

October 8
20)Sleepy Hollow (DVD) - One of my favorite Halloween stories brought to life by Tim Burton. This is becoming a yearly staple in the movie rotation. I have the standard DVD edition, but really need to upgrade to Blu-Ray. Movie 5/5 Disc 4/5

21) Phantasm OblIVion (DVD) - The final entry in the Phantasm series. Tells the origin of the tall man. I was thinking that one thing that can be said about the Tall man is he never became a parody of himself like Freddy, Pinhead or Jason. he remained creepy through all 4 movies. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 9
22) Underworld (Blu-Ray) - Werewolves, uh I mean Lycons, Vampires, and Kate Beckinsale in leather This is the unrated, extended edition that clocks in at nearly 2 hours 20 minutes. Movie 5/5, Disc 4.5/5

October 10
23) The Invisible Man (DVD) - The first Universal horror film of this year for me. I decided to go with one that I rarely have seen. I forgot how good this one was. Claude Raines is excellent. Directed by James Whale. This disc is from the Legacy set. Looks like the movie has not been restored. Quite a bit of dirt & scratches. Gives these movies character, but it would still be nice to see this film brought to the same glory as Universal has done with Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy...Movie 4/5 DVD 3.5/5

24) The Invisible Man Returns (DVD) - A young Vincent Price takes over the title role in this inferior sequal. Movie 3/5 DVD 3.5/5

25) Hollow Man (DVD) - Paul Verhoeven's remake of the invisible man story. I like this movie better than most. Kevin Bacon is convincing in the title role. Boasts great special effects. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 4/5

26) Pumpkinhead (DVD) - The great Stan Winston flick finally in widescreen! Movie 4.5/5 Disc 4.5/5

October 11
None - Out of town for the day

October 12
27) Horror of Dracula (DVD) - Decided to get the movies rolling again with my two favorite Hammer titles. Each features Peter Cushing at the top of his game playing Dr. Van Helsing. In Horror of Dracula he battles Christopher Lee as the titular character. Lee is also excellent as Dracula. His bloodshot eyes & long black cape define the character. This is a staple this time of year & a must have for any classic horror library. Movie 5/5, Disc 4/5

28) Brides of Dracula (DVD) - Peter Cushing returns as Van Helsing, this time without Dracula or Christopher Lee. This time battling one of Dracula's disciples. Good story, fast pacing , and Cushing make this another must have. Available as part of Universal's Hammer set, the movie is unfortunately on flipper discs with 3 other features. Movie 5/5 Disc 4/5

October 13
29) Friday the 13th Part II (DVD) - I remember seeing this one at the Drive-In on a double bill with the original Friday 13th. To me this is the scariest of the bunch. Jason with the sack over his head is just creepy. Also, he wasn't the unstoppable killing machine yet. The "human element" adds the the scare. Movie 4/5

30) Friday the 13th Part III (DVD) - Jason gets his hockey mask in this one. Released just 1 year after Part II it picks up where that one leaves off. Originally released in the theater in 3D. Movie 3.5/5

October 14
31) The Wolf Man (DVD) - I woke up early so I decided to pop this one in before work. One of my all time favorites. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 4/5

32)An American Werewolf in London (DVD) - Great movie with groundbreaking effects by Rick Baker. Perfect for a full moon viewing. Movie 4.5/5, DVD 4/5

October 15
33) An American Werewolf in Paris (DVD) - More of a remake than a sequal & in some ways superior to "London". The DVD is in dire need of an upgrade to anamorphic WS. Movie 4/5 DVD 3/5

October 16
34) The Gorgon (DVD) - An uderrated Hammer gem available for the first time on DVD. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

October 17
35) Shawn of the Dead (DVD) - What more can be said about this brilliant spoof? If you haven't seen it go get it immediately. No disappointments. Movie 5/5 Disc 4.5/5

36) Return of the Living Dead Part II (DVD) - Finished up the night with another excellent horror "comedy". Movie 4.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 18
37) The Curse of the Living Corpse (amc) - Stumbled on this on amc's Fear Friday. Members of a family begin to turn up dead after presumably burying their father alive. From 1964 features a young Roy Scheider. Movie 3/5

38)Mausoleum (DVD) - Early 80's horror about a hot chick that turns into a demon after visiting a mausoleum. If you are at all curious about grindhouse horror, you could do worse than this flick. Released as part of BCI's exploitation cinema. Print has quite a bit of scratches, etc. but is very watchable. Movie 3/5 Disc 2.5/5

39) Slither (DVD) - Great horror comedy in the vain of Shawn of the Dead. Each tme I watch it I notice more "nods" to the horror films that inspired it. Movie 5/5 Disc 4.5/5

40) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2006) (DVD) - Worthy remake of the classic. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 5/5

41) Bride of Frankenstein (DVD) - Not much more can be said about this Halloween staple. A pure classic! Movie 5/5 Disc 4.5/5

October 19
42) Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (DVD) - A rarely seen Hammer film take on the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde story. All the atmosphere you would expect from a Hammer film. Quite enjoyable. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

43) Dance of the Dead (DVD) - Silly in spots, but entertaining & not without its moments. Worth a look for zombie fans. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 20
44)The Grudge 2 (STARZ) - Here I go again with the pissed Japanese ghost thing. I wasn't planning on watching this but it popped up on cable. Not as good as the first but still creepy. I think they should have went with the alternate ending (included as an extra on the DVD). Movie 4/5

October 21
45)Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (DVD) - Another Hammer gem finally available on DVD. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

October 22
46) The Strangers (Blu-Ray) - Most reviews on this movie are somewhat negative due to the fact that there is no reason for what happens. In my mind that was the point & what exactly what made it so disturbing. I admit it could have been more than it was, but it was descent. I guarantee you will be hearing "noises" after you watch it. Maybe not a purchase for everyone, but worth at least a rental. I was a little disappointed in the picture quality of the Blu-ray. Most of the movie takes place in the dark & I would have hoped for more inky blacks, especially for a recent movie like this. Another side note is I notice the Universal Blu-Ray discs take forever to load. Maybe has to do with their PIP feature. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

47) The Mummy (DVD) - This is the Hammer version with Christopher Lee as the creature. Always been a favorite of mine. Movie 4/5 DVD 4/5

October 23
48) Psycho (DVD) - The new Universal Legacy edition DVD looks great. I'm always amazed at just how good this movie is. Movie 5/5 DVD 4.5/5

October 24
49) Halloween, Rob Zombie's (Blu-Ray) - Violent & brutal re-imaging of the Carpenter classic. This is the unrated director's cut which flows better than the theatrical version. I like this movie a lot. Rob Zombie gave new life to a "worn out" franchise. If you like Rob Zombie's work, this is his trademark style. If you didn't like it in the theater, give the Director's cut a chance. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 5/5

50) Trailer Park of Terror (DVD) - "White Trash" zombies + stranded travellers = whole lot of fun. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 25
51)Curse of Frankenstein (amc Fear Fest) - Classic Hammer take on Frankenstein with the great Peter Cushing as the Doctor & Christopher Lee as the monster. Movie 5/5

52) Revenge of Frankenstein (DVD) - Sequal to the "Curse" again with Peter Cushing. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 3.5/5

53) Young Frankenstein (Blu-Ray) - Not really a "horror" movie but a classic for Halloween. The Blu-Ray looks good & includes a ton of special features. I'll get back to those after Halloween! If you haven't seen this in a while or by some chance have never seen it, rush out & get it. One of the all time best! Movie 5/5 Disc 5/5

54) Friday the 13th the Final Chapter (DVD) - Picks up where the third left off. Still a descent entry. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 4/5

55) The Witchfinder General (DVD) - In honor of Vincent Price probably my favorite of his movies. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 26
56) Universal Horrors (Chiller) - *Wildcard* Nice documentary on the history of the Universal horror films.

57) The Mist (Blu-Ray) - Lovecraft type monsters & a tightly paced stored make this one a keeper. Move 4.5/5 Disc 4.5/5

58) The Fog, John Carpenter's (DVD) - Seemed appropriate to follow up The Mist with this underrated Carpenter classic. Movie 4.5/5 Disc 4/5

October 27
59) House on Haunted Hill (1999) (DVD) - Descent remake with Geoffrey Rush in the Vincent Price role. To me the haunted hospital thing is scary as hell. The only thing that drags this one down is a bit of a weak ending. Still fun viewing. Movie 3.5/5 Disc 3.5/5

60) Tombs of the Blind Dead (DVD) - Spain's answer to Night of the Living dead. Here the Knights Templar return to feast on the flesh of young women. Great atmosphere! Blue Underground disc looks great. Movie 4/5 Disc 4.5/5

October 28
61) Day of the Dead (2006) (Netflix) - A friend of mine chucked this my way. I wasn't expecting much & its a good thing. Nothing to do with the original Romero flick other than title & there are zombies. Just entertaining enough to finish, but I wouldn't watch it again. Movie 2/5 Disc 3.5/5

62) Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (amc Fearfest) - A long time favorite. Before Freddy vs. Jason, these two titans squared off. These Universal horror flicks never lose their charm. Movie 4/5

October 29
63) Zombie Strippers (Blu-Ray) - The title says it all for this one. Probably one of those movies you either love or hate, I am in the former category. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

With this movie I surpass last year's record of 62 movies

October 30
64) Return of the Evil Dead (DVD) - The second and in my opinion the best of the Blind Dead series. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

65) Dracula (DVD) - This 75th anniversary edition looks great. A classic! Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

66) The Mummy's Hand (amc Fearfest) - Universal infused a little comic relief with this one.

Halloween

67)House of Frankenstein (amc fearfest) - A fun sequal to Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. Karloff plays the mad doctor with Bela Lugosi steiiping into the role of the monster. Lon Chaney's tortured wolfman is present as well. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

68) MOH: Haeckel's Tale (DVD) - By far my favorite of the MOH series. A zombie tale by Clive Barker. This has become a regular in my October viewing schedule. Movie 4/5 Disc 4/5

69) Son of Frankenstein (DVD) - My favorite of the Universal horrors. Boris Karloff's final turn as the Frankenstein monster. Basil Rathbone & Lionnel Atwill are excellent. Young Frankenstein draws from scenes in this film. Movie 5/5 Disc 4.5/5

70) Halloween, John Carpenter's (Blu-Ray) - Finished up the challenge with the scariest flick of all time (IMHO). Blu-Ray looks fantastic. Movie 5/5 Disc 5/5

In the Que:

New DVD's Purchased for the Challenge: 17
Most Recent Purchase: Young Frankenstein (Blu-Ray)

Last edited by SnapDawg; 11-01-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 06:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10/01
001. Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero)
002. Student Bodies (1981, Mickey Rose)
003. Demons (1985, Lamberto Bava)
004. A Bay of Blood (1971, Mario Bava)
005. Frankenhooker (1990, Frank Henenlotter)
006. The Deadly Spawn (1983, Douglas McKeown)
10/02
007. Prince of Darkness (1987, John Carpenter)
008. Bubba Ho-tep (2002, Don Coscarelli)
009. The Blob (1988, Chuck Russell)
010. Raw Meat (1972, Gary Sherman)
10/05
011. The Burning (1981, Tony Maylam)
012. Masters of Horror: Deer Woman (2005, John Landis)
013. Dead Heat (1988, Mark Goldblatt)
10/12
014. Phantasm (1979, Don Coscarelli)
015. The Return of the Living Dead (1985, Dan O'Bannon)

Last edited by TheManInBlack; 11-03-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 07:51 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Here lies my spot....

October 1st

1. Rogue
2. Timber Falls

October 2nd

3. Prom Night (2007)

October 3rd

4. The Lost Boys: The Tribe
5. The Ruins
6. The Eye

October 4th

7. Alien Vs Predator 2

October 5th

8. Rest Stop: Don't Look Back
9. Cloverfield

October 6th

10. 30 Days Of Night
11. Hatchet

October 8th

12. Boogeyman 2
13. Resident Evil: Extinction

October 10th

14. Steel Trap
15. P2

October 11th

16. Urban Legend
17. Blade II
18. Blade: Trinity
19. Final Destination 2

October 12th

20. Van Helsing
21. Hannibal

October 16th

22. Deadly End

October 18th

23. Species
24. Final Destination

Last edited by DVDMagic; 10-19-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 08:52 PM

Alright guys. My goal is to skip sleep and watch as much as I can this first night before I go and suffer at work for 8 hours. My ultimate goal is to complete the check list in 3 days (FAILED, trying for 5 days) but normal tv shows might hinder that feat.

Also, I will color code the daily films so I don't have a bajillion lists. I'll go with orange as the color for the daily film.

I may or may not color code my first time viewings but we shall see... I did watch exactly 200 films last year. My goal is 201. Might not be possible though.

LIST IS FINISHED

October 1st

1. execution of mary stuart *WILD CARD #1* 3/5
2. le chaudron infernal *WILD CARD #2* 5/5
3. frankenstein 1910 *WILD CARD #3* 3/5
4. Nosferatu 5/5
5. Kwaidan 3/5
6. Flesh for Frankenstein 2/5
7. The Eye 4/5
8. Bride of Chucky 4/5
9. Bruce Campbell Vs. The Army of Darkness (official bootleg edition) - 1/5
10. The Wolfman - 4/5

Oct. 2nd

11. House on Haunted Hill - 4/5
12. House of the Dead - 4/5
13. Shadow of the Vampire - 4/5
14. Evil Dead 5/5
15. Evil Dead II - 4/5
16. Igor * - 1/5
17. The 6th Sense - 4.5/5
18. Ju-on - 4/5
19. Deep Blue Sea - 4/5
20. The Mummy - 5/5
21. The Omen - 4/5
22. Revenge of the Creature - 2/5

October 3rd

23. Return of the Killer Tomatoes - 2/5
24. Suspiria * - 4/5
25. Black Xmas - 4/5
26. The Invisible Woman - 2.5/5

October 4th

27. Nightmare on Elm Street - 5/5
28. Black Christmas - 4/5
29. Saw 3 - 3/5
30. Jason X - 3/5
31. Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest (doc) * - 2/5
32. Creature from the Black Lagoon - 3/5

October 5th

33. Night of the Living Dead - 5/5
34. Rocky Horror Picture Show - 5/5
35. Dracula - 4.5/5
36. Phantom of the Opera - 4/5
37. Opera * - 3/5
38. Satanic Rites of Dracula - 2/5
39. Attack of the Giant Leaches (MST3K) * - 2/5
40. Zombie Strippers * - 1/5

October 6th

41. The Morgue * - 0/5
42. Feast II: Sloppy Seconds * 1/5
43. The Shining - 4/5
44. The Corpse Bride - 3.5/5
45. Scooby Doo on Zombie Island - 3/5
46. Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of the Wererabbit - 4/5

October 7th

47. Re-Animator - 3/5
48. Chermin * - 2/5
49. Fright Night - 2/5
50. Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase - 1/5
51. Basket Case - 3/5
52. Scooby Doo in Where's My Mummy? - 2.5 /5
53. Dolls * - 1/5
54. Aloha Scooby Doo - 1.5 /5
55. Midnight Meat Train * - 2.5 /5

October 8th

Creature From the Black Lagoon
56. Return to Sleepaway Camp * - 0/5
57. Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire - 2/5
58. Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico - 2/5
59. Shrooms * - 2/5
60. Scooby Doo And the Alien Invaders - 2/5
61. Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost - 4/5

October 9th (AKA Rob Zombie Day)

62. House on Sorority Row * - 3/5
63. House of 1000 Corpses - 2.5/5
64. The Devil's Rejects - 2.5 /5
65. Halloween (2007) - 4/5
66. [REC] * - 5/5
67. MOH: Incident On and Off A Mountain Road - 3/5
68. MOH: Dreams in the Witch House - 4/5
69. MOH: Dance of the Dead - 0/5
70. MOH: Jenifer - 1/5
71. MOH: Chocolate - 3/5
72. MOH: Homecoming - 1/5
73. MOH: Deer Woman - 1/5
74. MOH: Cigarette Burns - 5/5
75. MOH: Fair Haired Child - 1/5
76. MOH: Sick Girl - 3/5
77. MOH: Pick Me Up - 1.5/5
78. MOH: Haeckel's Tale - 2/5

October 10th

79. Rosemary's Baby - 5/5
80. MOH: Imprint - 1/5
81. Scooby Doo And the Lochness Monster - 3/5
82. Dance of the Dead (2008) * - 1/5
83. The Dentist * - 2/5
84. Scooby Doo Meets the Boo brothers - 2.5 /5
85. Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf - 1.5 /5
86. Scooby Doo & The Ghoul School - 3/5
87. Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed - 1/5
88. Scooby Doo: The Movie - 3.5 /5
89. Fright Night 2 * - 2.5 /5

October 11th

90. Alone in the Dark - 2.5 /5
91. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2/5
92. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake) - 4/5
93. Waxwork - 1/5
94. Demoni * - 4/5
95. Amittyville Horror - 2.5 /5

October 12th

96. Van Helsing - 2/5
97. Dark Ride * - 3/5
98. Blade Trinity - 2.5 /5
99. The Mortuary * - 2.5 /5
100. Freaks * - 4/5
101. Howling III - 2/5

October 13th

102. Friday the 13th - 5/5
103. Friday the 13th part 2 - 3.5 /5
104. Friday the 13th part 3 - 5/5
105. Friday the 13th Part 4 - 3/5
106. Friday the 13th Part 5 - 2/5
107. Friday the 13th Part 6 - 3/5

October 14th

108. Friday the 13th Part 7 - 2/5
109. Friday the 13th Part 8 - 1/5
110. Friday the 13th Part 9 - 3.5 /5
Wolfman
111. The Substitute *- 1/5 (terrible dub that uses anime voice actors)
112. Cursed

October 15th

113. The Howling - 4/5
114. Bloodrayne 2 - 1/5
115. Claw of Terror *- 0/5 (seriously, WTF)
116. Bloodrayne - 2.5 /5
117. American Werewolf in Paris - 5/5
118. House of the Dead 2 - 1.5 /5

October 16th

119. Zombie - 3/5
120.The Blair Witch project - 1/5
121. Killer Klowns From Outer Space - 3/5
122. Manos: hands of Fate - 1/5
123. Seed of Chucky - 3.5 /5
124. Stigmata - 3/5
125. The Craft - 3.5 /5
126. Hocus Pocus - 4.5 /5
127. Aliens - 1/5

October 17th

128. Night Watch - 4/5 (finished at 12:03 doh)
129. The Exorcist - 5/5
130. X-files: Fight the Future - 4/5
131. Dracula 2000 - 3/5
132. Doom - 1/5
133. Pet Cemetery - 3/5
134. Blade - 4.5 /5
135. Blade II - 4.5 /5
136. Scary Movie - 1/5
137. Scary Movie 2 - 0/5

October 18th

138. The Invisible Man - 3.5/5
139. Fido - 4/5
140. Scary movie 4 - 3/5
141. Critters 2 - 4/5
142. Lake Placid - 4/5
143. Willard - 4/5

October 19th

144. The Grudge - 2.5 /5
145. The Fog (remake - 1.5 /5
146. Session 9 - 4.5 /5
147. Hard *- 2/5
148. Cabin Fever - 1/5
149. Cemetery Man - 4/5
150. From Duck Til Dawn - 4/5

October 20th

151. The Queen of the Damned - 2 /5
152. Amityville Horror (remake) - 2/5
153. April Fools Day - 5/5
154. When a Stranger Calls (remake) - 3/5
155. Grudge 2 - 3/5

October 21st

156. Critters - 4/5
157. The Haunting (remake) - 3.5 /5
158. The Ring Two (remake) - 0/5
159. Boogeyman 2 *- 1/5
160. 8 Films to Die For: Frontiers *- 2/5
161. The Ring - 4.5 /5
162. The Thing - 5/5

October 22nd

163. Dark Water (remake) - 4/5
Evil Dead
164. MOH: The Damned Thing - 1/5
165. MOH: Family - 2.5 /5
166. MOH: The V Word - 1/5
167. MOH: Sounds Like - 1/5
168. MOH: Pro-Life - 1/5
169. MOH: Pelts - 2/5
170. MOH: The Screwfly Solution - 2/5
171. MOH:Valerie on the Stairs - 2/5
172. MOH: Right to Die - 1/5
173. MOH: We All Scream for Ice Cream - 4/5
174. MOH: The Black Cat - 4/5
175. MOH: The Washingtonians - 4/5

October 23rd

176. MOH: The Dream Cruise - 1/5
177. Psycho - 5/5
178. Urban Legend - 5/5
179. Saw II - 4/5
180. Stir of Echoes - 3/5
181. Lady in the Water - 3.5 /5
182. Hostel part II - 3/5
183. Valentine - 3/5

October 24th

184. Stay Alive - 2.5 /5
The Mummy
185. Saw V * - 1/5
186. Chopping Mall - 1/5
187. Venom - 4.5/5

October 25th

188. Pit and the Pendulum *- 3.5 /5
189. Jeepers Creepers - 4.5 /5
190. Jeepers Creepers 2 - 2/5
191. The Fog - 3/5

October 26th

192. Day of the Dead - 1/5
193. House on haunted Hill (remake) - 3.5/5
194. Adam's Family - 4/5
195. Adam's Family: Values - 2/5
196. Wrong Turn - 3.5 /5
197. Horror of Dracula - 2/5

October 27th

198. Jaws - 5/5
199. Freddy VS Jason - 4/5
200. Snakes on a Plane - 3.5 /5
201. Resident Evil - 1/5
202. The Innocence *- 4/5

October 28th

203. Cape Fear - 5/5
204. Identity - 4/5
205. Black Sunday *- 3/5
205. The Relic - 4/5
206. The Village - 2.5 /5
207. Cloverfield - 5/5

October 29th

208. Signs - 4/5
209. Scary Movie 3 - 4/5
210. Idle Hands - 3.5 /5
211. Prom night - 3/5
212. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - 2/5
Dracula

October 30th

213. Frailty - 4.5 /5
214. Dawn of the Dead - 4/5
215. Silent Hill - 4/5
216. Spiders - 5/5
217. Silence of the Lambs - 5/5
218. Scream 3 - 2.5/5
219. 13 Ghosts (remake) - 4/5
220. Dr. Giggles - 4/5
221. Frankenstein - 5/5
222. Final Destination 2 - 5/5
223. Darkness Falls - 2.5 /5

October 31st

224. The Faculty - 4/5
225. Halloween - 5/5
226. Halloween II - 4/5
227. Halloween 3 - 1/5
228. Halloween 4 - 2/5
229. Halloween 5 - 2/5
230. Halloween 6 - 2/5
230. Halloween H20 - 4/5
231. Halloween: resurrection - 0/5
232. The Monster Squad - 5/5
233. Ginger Snaps - 5/5
234. Shaun of the Dead - 5/5
235. Gremlins - 5/5
236. Scream - 5/5
237. Scream 2 - 5/5
238. Thriller music video - 5/5 *WILD CARD 4*
239. The Great Pumpkin - 5/5 - *WILD CARD 5*

race to dawn *bonus hours*

240. The Gift - 4/5
241. The Mummy (remake) - 5/5
242. The Forsaken - 3/5

CHECKLIST COMPLETED 10/05/2008 at 10:15PM EST

Watch one film from every decade of film history.
-X- 1890 - execution of mary stuart
-X- 1900 - le chaudron infernal
-X- 1910 - frankenstein 1910
-X- 1920 - Nosferatu
-X- 1930 - The Mummy
-X- 1940 - The Wolfman
-X- 1950 - House on haunted Hill
-X- 1960 - Kwaidan
-X- 1970 - Flesh for Frankenstein
-X- 1980 - Evil Dead
-X- 1990 - Bride fo Chucky
-X- 2000 - The Eye

Watch a film for each rating:
-X- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - Nosferatu
-X- G - Creature From the Black Lagoon
-X- PG - Igor
-X- PG-13 - The 6th Sense
-X- R - The Eye
-X- NC-17 - Evil Dead
-X- X - Flesh for Frankenstein
-X- Unrated - Bruce Campbell vs The Army of Darkness

Watch a film starring:
-X- Bela Lugosi - Dracula
-X- Lon Chaney Sr. - Phantom of the Opera
-X- Boris Karloff - The Mummy
-X- Lon Chaney Jr. - The Wolfman
-X- Vincent Price - House on haunted Hill
-X- Peter Cushing - Satanic Rites of Dracula
-X- Christopher Lee - Satanic Rites of Dracula
-X- Robert Englund - Nightmare on Elm Street
-X- Bruce Campbell - Bruce Campbell vs the Army of Darkness
-X- Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
-X- First language, (Japanese), (Kwaidan).
-X- Second language, (Cantonese), (The Eye).

Watch a film in each of the following subgenres/types:
-X- Vampire - Nosferatu
-X- Frankenstein - Flesh for Frankenstein
-X- Werewolf - The Wolfman
-X- Mummy - The Mummy
-X- Invisible Man - The Invisible Woman
-X- Ghost/haunting -
-X- Witchcraft/satanic/religious - Suspiria
-X- Zombie - House of the Dead
-X- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac - Black Xmas
-X- Monster/creature feature/Godzilla - Revenge of the Creature
-X- Documentary - Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest
-X- Musical - Rocky Horror Picture SHow
-X- Spoof/comedy - Bruce Campbell vs the Army of Darkness
-X- Revenge - Saw 3
-X- Killer/evil doll - Bride of Chucky
-X- Killer/evil animal - Deep Blue Sea
-X- Killer/evil child - The Omen
-X- Giallo - Opera
-X- J horror - Ju-on
-X- MST3K/rifftrax/CT - Attack of the Giant Leaches (MST3K)
-X- film and its remake - Black Xmas, Black Christmas
-X- based on a video game - House of the Dead
-X- based on a novel - Frankestein 1910
-X- directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis or Uwe Boll or Ulli Lommel - House of the Dead
-X- won an Academy Award -- any category - The Omen (best original score)
-X- silent film - Nosferatu
-X- Criterion version film - Kwaidan
-X- with commentary - Jason X
-X- film and at least two of its sequels - Bruce Campbell vs the Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, ED2
-X- anthology film - Kwaidan
-X- takes place on a holiday - Black Xmas
-X- takes place in space - Jason X
-X- takes place on or under the sea - Deep Blue Sea
-X- animated film - Igor
-X- called "Night of the ..." - Night of the Living Dead
-X- called "Return of the ..." - Return of the Killer Tomatoes
-X- called "Revenge of the ..." - Revenge of the Creature
-X- called "Attack of the ..." - Attack of the Giant Leaches (MST3K)
-X- with the words "Living Dead" in the title - Night of the Living Dead

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 11-03-08 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 09:02 PM

Oct 1st
1. The Brood
2. Cloverfield
3. The Mist (B&W)

Oct. 2
4. The Fog (Original)
5. The Fog (Remake)
6. Frogs

Oct. 3
7. Burnt Offerings
8. 1408 (Directors Cut)
9. The Grudge

Oct. 4
10. Tremors
11. Tremors 2 - Aftershock
12. Tremors 3 - Back To Perfection

Oct. 5
13. Tremors 4 - The Legend Begins
14. I Know What You Did Last Summer
15. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
16. The Ruins (Unrated)

Oct. 6
17. Scream
18. Scream 2

Oct. 7
19. Scream 3
20. Night Of The Comet
21. Urban Legend

Oct. 8
22. Friday The 13th
23. Friday The 13th Part 2
24. Friday The 13th Part 3
25. Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter

Oct. 9
26. Friday The 13th Part 5 - A New Beginning
27. Friday The 13th Part 6 - Jason Lives
28. Friday The 13th Part 7 - The New Blood

Oct. 10
29. Friday The 13th Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan
30. Quarantine
31. Jason Goes To Hell - The Final Friday
32. Jason X

Oct. 11
33. Alien (Theatrical)
34. Aliens (Special Edition)
35. Alien 3 (Special Edition)

Oct. 12
36. Alien Resurection (Special Edition)
37. Amityville Horror
38. Amityville 2 - The Possesion
39. Amityville 3D

Oct 13
40. Jeepers Creepers
41. Jeepers Creepers 2
42. Ghost Ship

Oct 14
43. Mortuary (Denise Crosby)
44. Bats
45. The Descent

Oct. 15
46. Halloween (Carpenter)
47. Halloween 2
48. Halloween 3 - Season Of The Witch
49. Halloween 4 - The Return Of Michael Myers

Oct.16
50. Halloween 5 - The Revenge Of Michael Myers
51. Halloween 6 - The Curse Of Michael Myers
52. Halloween H20 - 20 Years Later

Oct 17.
53. Halloween Resurection
54. Halloween (Zombie)

Oct. 18
55. 28 Days Later
56. 28 Weeks Later

Oct 19
57. 30 Days Of Night
58. An American Haunting (Unrated)
59. Sleepy Hollow

Oct. 20
60. Vacancy
61. John Carpenter's The Thing

Oct. 21
62. The Lost Boys
63. Resident Evil
64. Resident Evil - Apocolypse
65. Resident Evil - Extinction

Oct. 22
66. A Nightmare On Elm Street
67. A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 - Freddy's Revenge
68. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors
69. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4 - The Dream Master

Oct. 23
70. A Nightmare On Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child
71. Saw
72. Saw 2
73. Saw 3

Oct. 24
74. Saw 4
75. Saw 5
76. Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare
77. Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Oct. 25
78. Freddy Vs Jason
79. The Exorcist
80. Elvira Mistress Of The Dark

Oct 26
81. The Others
82. Cujo
83. Poltergeist

Oct. 27
84. Dawn Of The Dead (Original)
85. The Sixth Sense

Oct. 28
86. Darkness Falls
87. The Blob (Remake)
88. Silent Hill

Oct 29.
89. Scary Movie
90. Scary Movie 2
91. Scary Movie 3
92. Scary Movie 4

Oct. 30
93. Dawn Of The Dead (Remake)
94. Die! Die! My Darling!
95. Bubba Ho-Tep
96. Swamp Thing

Oct. 31
97. Thir13en Ghosts
98. Killer Klowns From Outer Space
99. Club Dread
100. Rocky Horror Picture Show

Last edited by DieBarneyDieNY; 10-31-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 12:10 AM

01 Mother of Tears
02 Vipers
03 Pulse 2
04 Dark Corners
05 They Wait
06 Frontier(s) (French)
07 Forsaken
08 Seed
09 Supernatural(TV) Wildcard #1
10 The Invasion
11 E.T. Wildcard #2
12 Re-cycle
13 Rest Stop 2
14 Prom Night
15 Cold and dark
16 Inside(French)
17 Sara Landon: paranormal Hour
18 Feast 2
19 Incubus
20 Spirit Trap
21 Quarantine
22 Backwoods
23 Dawn of the Dead
24 House of 9
25 Wicked Little Things
26 Pathology
27 Joyride 2
28 Swamp Devil
29 The Abandoned
30 Pulse(JPN)
31 the Dead One
32 The Devils Chair
33 Gnaw: Food of the Gods 2
34 Wicked Lake
35 Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
36 30 Days of Night
37 Black Sunday
38 Land of the Dead
39 burnt Offerings
40 The Devil rides Out
41 Horror of Dracula
42 An American Haunting
43 Creature From the Black Lagoon
44 Revenge of the Creature
45 Dance of the Dead
46 Mimic 3
47 Supernatural WC#3
48 The Creature Walks Among Us
49 Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
50 The Strangers
51 The Mummy(Hammer)
52 Fear
53 Dark Floors
54 Brotherhood of Blood
55 Silver Bullet
56 No Mans Land: Rise of Reeker
57 the substitute (danish)
58 the entity
59 last house in the woods (Italian)
60 the ferryman
61 supernatural WC#4
62 the descent
63 camp slaughter
64 brides for dracula
65 urban legend
66 subspecies
67 curse of the werewolf
68 night of the living dead
69 skeleton key
70 hatchet
71 session 9
72 taste the blood of dracula
73 scars of dracula
74 trackman (Russian)
75 the tomb
76 room 205(Danish)
77 sundown
78 the initiation
79 the woods
80 midnight meat train
81 supernatural WC #5
82 Great Pumpkin charlie brown
83 windchill
84 exorcist
85 sleepy hollow
86 halloween h20
87 frankenstein meets the wolfman

Final list. Almost made it to a 100.

Last edited by jason978; 11-02-08 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reserved
Old 09-27-08, 03:53 PM

GOAL: 27
(I was suppose to try for 31 this year, but I have to go to mandatory training for my new job for an entire week, so even my modest goal of 27 is pretty daunting for me.)

Last edited by ignition; 09-27-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 05:29 PM

Goal = 100

October 1:
1. Nosferatu (1922)
2. Sleepaway Camp
3. The Untold Story

October 2:
4. Shadow of the Vampire
5. Sting of Death
6. Hard Rock Zombies

October 3:
7. Suspiria
8. Don't Torture A Duckling
9. Pieces

October 4:
10. A Nightmare On Elm Street
11. The Crazies
12. Carrie
13. Horror of Party Beach

October 5:
14. Night of the Living Dead
15. Nightmare City
16. Boxer's Revenge
17. Calvaire

October 6:
18. The Shining
19. Wisconsin Death Trip
20. Horror of the Blood Monsters

October 7:
21. Re-Animator
22. Bride of Re-Animator
23. Hypnosis

October 8:
24. Creature from the Black Lagoon
25. Humanoid: Monster from the Deep
26. Death Curse of Tartu

October 9:
27. The Devil's Rejects
28. Mirrors
29. Midnight Meat Train

October 10:
30. Rosemary's Baby
31. Seeding of a Ghost
32. One Missed Call (US)

October 11:
33. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
34. Shutter (Thailand)
35. Santa Sangre
36. Frontiere(s)

October 12:
37. Freaks
38. The Omen
39. The Creeping Terror
40. Anatomy

Last edited by steelpotato; 10-12-08 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
LIST IS FINISHED
<html>
DATE
NUM 
TITLEFirst ViewingWildcard
01 Oct 2008
Vampire Hunter D  
01 Oct 2008
Shaun of the Dead  
01 Oct 2008
Deadly FriendFirst Viewing 
02 Oct 2008
Hellboy Animated:  Blood & Iron  
04 Oct 2008
Hellboy Animated:  Sword of StormsFirst Viewing 
07 Oct 2008
Underworld:  Unrated Extended CutFirst Viewing 
08 Oct 2008
From Beyond  
14 Oct 2008
Flesh for Frankenstein  
17 Oct 2008
Blood for Dracula  
22 Oct 2008
WolfenFirst Viewing 
25 Oct 2008
SLiTHER  
29 Oct 2008
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Wildcard
30 Oct 2008
Jason X  
</html>

Last edited by wishbone; 11-05-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Brainee's 2008 DVDTalk Horror Movie Challenge List

Goal: 31
Total: 100
First Time Views: 77

= first time viewing

October 1st
1. The Ghoul (1933) - A bit creaky and slow-moving, but delivers some nice atmosphere and spooky shots (especially those involving the decayed-looking Karloff). Got a little too "Scooby Doo" near the end, and the explanation given seemed to contradict what we (the audience) saw. And what's up with the romantic sideplot - between two characters who state they're blood relatives at the start? I'm not usually a big fan of classic horror comic relief, but I have to admit one moment made me laugh out loud. When the annoying girlfriend is hitting on the Egyptian guy, and he tells her to close her eyes for 10 seconds. She shuts them and puckers up for a kiss ... while he runs like hell

2. The Ghost Train (1941) - And if "The Ghoul" wasn't Scooby Doo enough, that was nothing compared to this offering. I suppose one's enjoyment of this is determined by how well you can stomach comic Arthur Askey. Me ... I wanted to reach through the tv and strangle the guy. And it's not like he's comic relief - instead, this movie is mostly Askey in your face with teeny bits of a ghost story on the side. Too bad, because even though it's awfully familar stuff, I found the story to be entertaining. Though I predicted the "twist" right at the start (and I'm pretty sure most of DVDTalk would too):
Spoiler:
that the ghost train was really a ruse done by Nazis, trying to scare away investigations. And they would've gotten away with it too, if not for those kids and their damned dog!

3. The Living Ghost (1942) - You just know you're in good hands with a director whose nickname is "One-Shot" William Beaudine has made so many movies that even Jess Franco would look at his credits and say "Holy shit ... that's a lot of movies!" Not a bad poverty row genre flick. Despite having the word "ghost" in title (and a "living ghost" to boot) there's precious little horror here. It's hard to hate too much on a movie that ends with the hero not kissing the girl, but chasing her around trying to smack her ass.

4. The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - Now we're talking. Amazing that I've never seen this, despite seeing countless movies that rip it off. Once we get past a clunky foreshadowing conversation, this just roars along. It's neat to see much of the "King Kong" crew (and sets - can't miss that giant tree over the chasm). And there's also some pre-code nastiness: a bloody shark attack, gruesome severed heads, and I think I saw a bare breast on one of the Count's hanging paintings. And yes ... Ivan is MUCH friendlier-looking when he smiles.

5. I, Monster (1971) - It's Jekyll and Hyde - Amicus style (which means super duper cheap)! But you've got Lee and Cushing, which makes this worth any horror fan's time. Awfully familiar story, but Lee (in the Jekyll/Hyde role) makes it very watchable, seemingly having great fun when acting as the evil alter ego (unfortunately Cushing has very little to do until the end). The movie does suffer from a disappointly abrupt final battle. And the DVD had really crappy video quality.

October 2nd
6. Death at Love House (1976) - Ah, the 70's. Disco was king, bell-bottoms were fashionable ... and you had great made-for-tv horror. Despite mediocre reviews, I rather liked this one. Robert Wagner and Kate Jackson are fine leads. And I like the general idea of using the backdrop of a long-dead Hollywood star with skeletons in the closet, and weird goings-on at a rambling Hollywood mansion.

7. Saints-Martyrs-des-Damnes (2005) - This is a tough one to categorize ... maybe why it doesn't have a US release. Starts as a campy horror-mystery, drifts into sci-fi, and then tries to be a serious arthouse movie. Some striking moments and interesting ideas, but it all seems rather muddled. It seemed like weirdness for weirdnesses sake. I'd love to read some analysis of the movie, but all I can find is stuff in French.

October 3rd
8. Nightmare Detective (2006) - Surprisingly mainstream film from Shinya Tsukamoto. Like a mish-mash of J-Horror like "One Missed Call" and "Suicide Club" with "Nightmare on Elm Street". Pretty decent, and not afraid to spray the red stuff. One thing had me puzzled: if the police knew the phone number of the nightmare killer, shouldn't they have been able to track him down?

9. L: Change the World (2008) - Even though it's tied in with the "Death Note" movies (which I loved), this is an action-thriller with a plot that seems closer to "24" than J-Horror. Except instead of Jack Bauer we get a slouching thin young Japanese guy with a sweet tooth. Nothing really special story-wise. What makes it worthwhile is Ken'ichi Matsuyama's "L". One note - you really need to see the "Death Note" movies first, since this pretty much spoils what happens in that.

10. Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965) - I prefer this title over the American "Frankenstein Conquers the World". Because as cool as that sound, Frankenstein doesn't conquer the world. He doesn't even try. Mostly he's just trying to keep his stomach full, keep an eye on his lady friend, and protect villages from giant monsters (pretty much the opposite of conquering the world, in fact). I'd seen this as a kid, but this was my first time seeing the Japanese version. And I've got to say ... that ending ... what the hell were they smoking?!?
Spoiler:
Frankenstein just kicks Baragon's ass, and out pops a giant octopus to ambush him. In the middle of the freakin' forest!

October 4th
11. The Wall Man (2006) - Things don't get much scarier than walls ... err ... actually, I suppose they probably do. Actually this was kind of interesting, and I think another movie unfairly judged at imdb because viewers were expecting something else. Namely, if you go in expecting a J-Horror ghost story, you probably won't be happy. I saw it as more of a surrealistic drama with touches of comedy. I thought the direction was very impressive, and I appreciate movies where I don't know where they're going (even rarer in the horror genre).

12. Slumber Party Massacre (1982) - With all the slashers I've seen, it's probably surprising I've never seen this. Especially since it seems to be held in such high regard by many. Can't really see what the fuss was about. Seemed to be a by-the-numbers slasher, and even cheaper than norm for the sub-genre. I know this is supposed to be some ironic feminist statement - but doesn't seem very different from a zillion other slashers. Oh, it's ok for what it is ... gratuitous nudity, high body count, a bit of gore, fast-moving. But it's far from a masterpiece IMO.

13. Hannibal Rising (2007) - Oh, poor Hannibal ... it was all because of his love for the little blonde moppet Mischa. How touching Actually, the movie was pretty well made. Just the whole thing with the Hannibal prequel feels a little unnecessary - more of a cash grab than something with artistic intentions. And the basic problem with prequels ... it's tough to have much suspense when you know how things will turn out.

October 5th
14. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) - I like the idea of a slasher story done in indie young-adult drama style. I kind of wish the opening credits weren't so garish (with a scream and blood splattering over the title), so viewers might start watching this and get caught by surprise when everyone starts dying. I'm not really sure I bought the twist (and the characters motivations for doing what they did). But without it, the story probably would've been too formulaic.

15. Venom (1981) - The mystery of "The Birds", The danger of "Psycho", The evil of "The Omen", The terror of "Jaws", Now, the ultimate in suspense. Wow! I've gotta see that movie! Wait ... they're talking about "Venom"?!? I guess a more appropriate description would be this is like "Snakes on a Plane" ... except only one snake ... and no plane. Like SoaP, this has a completely preposterous explanation for involving the snakes. Evidently, the world's most incompetent pet store accidentally mixed up the boxes, and sent a little boy off with a Black Mamba. Oops! Actually, this movie is about 10% animal horror and 90% hostage thriller. Pretty amazing cast for such an average movie. That must've been nuts with Klaus Kinski, Oliver Reed, and Nicol Williamson all on the same set. Maybe that's part of the reason the original director (Tobe Hooper) and DoP quit midway through filming. I love that the replacement director commented that the Black Mamba was the nicest person there

16. The Watcher in the Woods (1980) - It's been ages since I've seen this, so it practically feels like a first-time viewing. I remember a bit of a stir over this at the time of release, being a non-G Disney horror movie. Pretty decent movie, though not as good as I remembered. The "sparkly" special effects have aged terribly - in retrospect, the movie would've been better served by a subtle approach. I'd forgotten how adorable Lynn-Holly Johnson was ... too bad her career tanked after playing a pubescent skating nympho in "For Your Eyes Only". I'd also forgotten about the silly ending to this:
Spoiler:
where it turns out there are no ghosts at all. Instead, we get some sort of extra-dimensional alien who accidentally swapped placed with a teenage girl.

17. Dexter: "Finding Freebo" (2008) - Wildcard #1

18. True Blood: "Sparks Fly Out" (2008) - Wildcard #2

October 6th
19. Aenigma (1987) - Fulci has clearly lost his early 80's mojo by this point. It's even surprisingly tame (at least by Fulci standards) as far as gore is concerned. I think it was a mistake to make the possessed girl so horribly unlikable (in her un-possessed form). Unlikable girl killing other unlikable people in non-gory ways = dull movie. Fulci does deliver on some of his trademake unintentional hilarity. My favorite scenes involved those with the posters on the girls walls. One shot has a poster of Tom Cruise from "Top Gun" in teen heartthrob pose - but Tom's face gets superimposed by the possessed girl! And during the infamous snail attack there's a shot of a Sly Stallone poster (as Rocky) ... with a menacing snail on his shoulder Ah, that snail attack. If anyone remembers anything from this movie, it's that. What a silly movie monster. If you're threatened by snails, wouldn't you just ... walk away? Still, if only there was a movie that focused on killer snails for the whole time ...

20. Slugs: The Movie (1988) - Apparently, the "The Movie" part of title was to prevent confusion with "Slugs: The Musical". From J.P. Simon ... the man who brought us "Pieces" and "Pod People" (Trumpy, you can do magic things!). You just KNOW this is going to be good! Actually ... I found "Slugs" to be entertaining. If you have to make a movie about killer slugs, you could do worse. Over-the-top gore, a bit of gratuitous sex/nudity, fast pacing. Compared to Simon's other movies, this one was almost competently made (even has the score done by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, instead of Simon's usual "some dude with a keyboard in a basement"). You even have a taste of classic monster movies, with city officials and a scientist racing to save the day. And there's some laughably bad dialog and situations ... hey, it's still a J.P. Simon movie.

October 7th
21. The Midnight Meat Train (2008) - So Ryuhei Kitamura can make a movie without a single matrix-y kung fu fight. I thought this was pretty good ... stylishly made, and wisely sticking to the strengths of Barker's short story. Some fun cameos too, including "Rampage" Jackson and a good bit by Brooke Shields. Though I thought the story suffered when it strayed from the short story by adding stuff with a meddling girlfriend and best friend. This could've been a killer hour-long (like "Masters of Horror"), but maybe comes up a little short on material for a feature. Overall, it's still quite good ... and a shame the studio just crapped on it (though it's hard to imagine this appealing to the mainstream horror group).

22. Crowhaven Farm (1970) - Another great made-for-tv horror from the Golden Age. Evil children, witchcraft, Satan worship, menacing pilgrims ... this has it all! And it's a bit surprising (and refreshing) that it ends
Spoiler:
on a scary downer, with the Satanists "winning".

October 8th
23. Beyond Re-Animator (2003) - Make no mistake ... the first movie in this series is in it's own class. But Brian Yuzna's two follow-ups are solid if you're looking for more of the same. The story kind of reminds me of some of the Frankenstein movies - where the good doctor is forced to relocate to less-than-ideal locations, but still manages to work on his re-animating experiments. Bonus points for a scene where a re-animated rat does battle with a severed re-animated penis.

24. I Vampiri (1956) - Kind of a landmark movie, kicking off the modern era of Italian horror movies (horror had been banned in Italy up until then) and marking the (uncredited) directorial debut of Mario Bava. You can see the influence of classic Hollywood horror, with the sets and mad-scientist plot (yes, despite the title this isn't a vampire movie). It's pretty good too ... I was particularly impressed with the
Spoiler:
rapid aging (and rejuvenating) effects with the Duchess. You might've expected some kind of clumsy dissolving effect, but it was really smoothly done.

25. Grindhouse: Planet Terror (2007) - Watching the "theatrical" double-feature here (not the expanded DVD releases). I have to say the first part certainly delivered what was promised - 90 minutes of gory campy balls-out zombie action. Seeing this makes me appreciate how much the MPAA has loosened up for horror. If something like this was up for review in the late 80's, it wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell at an "R".

26. Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007) - By no means am I a QT hater ... my responses to his movies have ranged from "liked" to "loved". Unfortunately, this is the first movie of his that get's an outright It started out ok. As annoying as the first group of women were, Kurt Russell's Stuntman Mike was making things worthwhile. But the movie just lost me in the second half. I wasn't crazy about the new group of women, and I certainly wasn't happy about having to put up with 30+ minutes of them chattering about trivialities. Sure, the final chase scene was well-done. But QT lost me as a fan of the movie by that point, and it couldn't make it up. I can't believe there's a new version of this with 30 more minutes of chatter ... I certainly won't be watching it. BTW, I loved the trailers. Too bad Edgar Wright or Eli Roth didn't get a chance for the 2nd feature - I think they would've nailed it.

October 9th
27. The Devil (1972) - If there ever was a "not for everyone" director, it's Andrezej Zulawski. "Possession" is probably his most seen movie, and I think it's a good litmus test. About a third of viewers get so repulsed they hate it. At least another third hates it for other reasons - like the arthouse pretentions, non-sensical story, and/or over-the-top performances. And then there will be a minority that thinks: "What the hell was that?!? And where can I find more movies by this guy?" If you're in this last group (like I was) then "Diabel" is essential viewing. "Diabel" is lot easier to follow than "Possession" ... essentially following a freed political prisoner, Jakub, in 1700's Poland and his troubles as he discovers his previous life shot to hell. The "devil" of the title is the mysterious man who freed Jakub, pushing him to commit atrocities (many of them with a nasty razor). Part historical drama, part allegory (the Soviet oppression of Poland at the time is clearly on Zulawski's mind, and helps explain why the movie was banned for 15 years), and part slasher movie ... it's an ambitious mix. Though challenging, my attention was kept. The movie has a barren feel to it appropriate for the setting, and while the acting is over-wrought at times the bizarre and disturbing scenarios seemed to suit the performances. But like "Possession", this is certainly not for everyone.

28. Bug (2006) - One of those movies that I think is well made, well acted, and effective at what it's trying to do. But I'd be hard-pressed to say I enjoyed or want to rewatch. It's nice to see William Friedkin do something of substance, though. The man's filmography is maddeningly inconsistent. I enjoyed his interview on the DVD. I love the story of how he would personally call every theater that was showing "The Exorcist" to make sure all of the audio and visual settings were optimal.

October 10th
29. Macabre (1980) - Nothing says love like standing by your man, even though he's a head in a freezer This is an odd one. They seemed to be aiming for Southern Gothic - like "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" and some of Tennessee Williams' darker works. Unfortunately the lack of talent on both sides of the camera made it miss the mark. Though I can't be too hard on them. After all, it was Lamberto Bava's first movie (and he'd go on to do better work, though nowhere near his father's level). And I'm not sure what was going on with the actors. The lip movements really looked like English (at least for the main roles). But the voices sounded like awful dubs - with some of the worst Southern accents I've ever heard. Anyway, despite a story that sounds like it will at least deliver sleazy entertainment (involving decapitation, necrophilia, cannabilism, and evil children) this doesn't seem to get going until the very end. And even then, the final scene has one of the dumbest excuses for a cheap jump scare that I've ever seen
Spoiler:
with a severed zombie head attack - in a movie that had no supernatural elements up until that point.

30. The Witch's Mirror (1962) - I've just been getting into some Mexican horror recently. Aside from the cheesy stuff (like lucha libre vs monsters), there were some surprisingly well-done movies ... reminds me of the Italian gothic horror movies that were popular at the same time. This isn't the best gothic Mexican horror that I've seen, but it's pretty good. Everyone seems game, and director Chano Urueta throws everything in his arsenal onto the screen. Only during a scene involving disembodied hands (where the actor's body is clearly visible) do the technical limitations distract from the story. It's interesting how they threw a haunting story and a "mad scientist kills to cure his wife" story together.

October 11th
31. The Braniac (1962) - I would've never guessed this was from the director of "The Witch's Mirror" (from the same year no less). While TWM was serious atmospheric gothic horror, "Braniac" was schlock of the highest order. This had to have been intended as a comedy, right? This is hilarious stuff - you don't even need an MST3K crew to have fun with it. I love the Baron's reactions to the charges read against him at the beginning: when they get to his seduction of married women and deflowering of young virgins, he breaks into a "Yeah baby!" grin. And I love the bug-eyes that people make when confronted with the Braniac (especially the professor with a daughter). And there's the completely inept "intelligent" conversations, where it seems like the script writer is just pulling long words out of the dictionary at random in order to make the character sound smart. And what's not to love about the monster ... with his pulsing head, clumsy tube fingers, and flicking tongue. How he manages to suck out an intact brain through a 1-inch hole will just have to remain one of life's mysteries.

32. The Wrath of Daimajin (1966) - Finishing up reviewing of the Daimajin trilogy (I watched the first one before the challenge). Funny that there's no continuity between any of them, and you could watch them in any order. For example, Daimajin has relocated from a mountain (in the last movie) to an island in a lake. These movies are beautifully shot (you really need to see them in 2.35:1 "Tohoscope"). And it's a nice idea, mixing period piece action/adventure with kaiju. The story here is familiar ... evil lord attacks good lord, whose people worship Daimajin. And after about 60 minutes (movie time) the big guy has had enough, and wakes up to take names and kick ass. In addition to his previous powers of controlling the weather and good old-fashioned stomping, Daimajin pulls a Moses and parts water too! I've always wondered ... why doesn't Daimajin wake up and kick ass when his people are first attacked? He always waits until after they've been beaten and many lives have been lost. I mean, is there a reason besides the obvious ... that the movie would be too short otherwise.

33. The Return of Daimajin (1966) - A poor village is enslaved by an evil warlord who uses them to mine sulfur (for gunpowder). Who ya gonna call? Daimajin! Seeing the main characters are four boys is worrisome. Little boys always drag down kaiju, especially when wearing super short shorts. Fortunately this is a period piece, and they haven't invented super short shorts yet. But it shapes up to be another solid entry in the series, and the kids are put in legitimate danger. In fact,
Spoiler:
they even kill one of the kids off! Has any other kaiju had the balls to do that to a main child character?

34. Supernatural: "In The Beginning" (2008) - Wildcard #3

October 12th
35. The H-Man (1958) - First time seeing the uncut Japanese-language version. It's like a Japanese "Blob" mixed with a noir crime drama ... with musical numbers! A nice variation is the blobs (or liquid men, as this movie prefers to call them) seem to have human intelligence. This is one those movies that makes an impression on you if you saw it as a kid. The way the H-Men ooze up to someone and with a single touch makes the person dissolve into a puddle is just creepy.

36. The Human Vapor (1960) - Time for an Ishiro Honda double-feature! Ever had a movie kick your ass by going against your expectations of it? I expected this to be a typical sci-fi/horror of the era. Something fun and not very serious. This started out like that, with a series of robberies/murders being investigated by a odd couple pairing of a policeman and a sassy female reporter. It's kind of like a cross between "The Invisible Man" and "Phantom of the Opera" (but with a dancer instead of a singer). But it surprised me by getting serious, and extremely sad and moving. Reportedly this is one of Honda's favorites among his own movies, and I can see why he felt that way. I watched the uncut Japanese-language version. Be warned ... I've read that the English version is an atrocity. With scenes drastically rearranged robbing the movie of mystery and suspense, outright removal of character development moments, and awful dubbing that destroys the serious mood and performances.

37. Vampire (1979) - This 70s made-for-tv horror movie doesn't beat around the bush with its title. Strong cast and some impressive horror scenes (my favorite was the vampire resurrection scene). You know Jason Miller and EG Marshall would be solid, but I was particularly impressed with Richard Lynch. His Prince Anton Voytek was a fantastic vampire villain - regal, intelligent, charismatic, and utterly evil. That said, this movie has one enormous flaw - there's no ending. Supposedly this was a pilot for an ungoing series (though I can't really see how a show about two guys hunting one vampire could have long legs - maybe the network thought the same thing?). Still, having this just end knowing there's no more - quite a downer, even though the movie was solid up to that point.

38. True Blood: "Cold Ground" (2008) - Wildcard #4

39. Dexter: "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (2008) - Wildcard #5

October 13th
40. Spectre (1977) - Another one of Gene Roddenberry's failed tv-series pilots in the 70's. A shame, because this is really good. Really off-the-wall stuff, especially compared to other made-for-tv occult horror. I don't think the version I watched was what the US audience saw - somehow I doubt the naked satanic orgy would've passed the censors. You also have hairy demons, succubi, S&M house-servants, menacing midgets, voodoo curses, and a lizard-demon that looks a lot like the Gorn from Star Trek.

41. Nude for Satan (1974) - Now THAT'S what I call an eye-catching title! How's the movie? Ehhhh ... well, it delivers on the nudity (and the version I saw had hardcore sex scenes). Outside of that, it's really really bad. Extremely amateur (even by the standards of 70's Euro-horror). You do get an unbelievable scene where a giant spider sexually molests the main actress. But there's a lot of dull nonsense conversations, characters just wandering around, and awful music.

October 14th
42. The Iron Rose (1973) - I was in the mood for something from a master of Euro-horror sleaze - Jean Rollin. This movie's not so well known as his vampire movies. Probably because it's so low key ... there's really nothing supernatural going on, and the only nudity is a long-shot of a girl dancing on the beach. But it's undeniably a Rollin movie, with a dreamlike surreal atmosphere, carefully composed shots, and a random encounter with a female clown. I quite liked it. Like all Rollin, it's not for everyone. I like the central idea - where a couple locked in cemetery are unable to find their way out, and gradually become obsessed by the concept of death.

43. Demoniacs (1974) - Double-shot of Rollin! This one I didn't care for so much. Sure, it's got all the Rollin trademarks: mysterious waifish girls, loads of nudity, dreamy pace, interpretive dancing, random female clown. But it didn't sweep me up in it's atmosphere the way the best Rollin movies do. The setting was unconvincing and the acting was awful, even by the standards of these things.

October 15th
44. Steel and Lace (1991) - I agree with the imdb comment that this looks like it sat on the shelves for a few years - the look has "80's" written all over it. Not as much fun as it sounds (scientist rebuilds dead sister as a robot to hunt and kill her rapists), thanks to a surprisingly serious tone and dull stretches in between murders.

45. The Haunting of M (1979) - Extremely prim and proper British ghost story. Very well made, but it may try the patience of viewers looking for a horror movie. It felt like "Pride and Prejudice" without the humor ... with a subplot of a ghost thrown in for good measure.

46. Death Smiles on a Murderer (1973) - Time for some Euro-sleaze ... something you can always count on Joe D'Amato delivering. This movie throws a lot at you in a short running time. Incest, lesbian sex, reanimated corpses, vengeful murders, Klaus Kinski, a rip-off from Poe's "The Black Cat". Kinski's role is too brief, but the lead actress is cute - important when she has so much sex. D'Amato actually isn't a bad filmmaker when he's not doing movies that are pure exploitation.

October 16th
47. Absurd (1981) - Dare I attempt back-to-back D'Amato? What the hell ... it's October. This has a bit of a reputation for its nasty murder scenes. Yeah, there are some rough scenes. But like D'Amato's earlier "Antropophagus" (to which this is sometimes mismarketed as a sequel), if you're expecting wall-to-wall gore you'll be disappointed. It's ok. There are some memorable murder set-pieces, and D'Amato manages some decent slasher-suspense. The plot comes across as a "Halloween" rip-off - unkillable boogeyman hunted by a man of science, with a show-down stalking some babysitter.

48. Something Creeping in the Dark (1971) - I was hopeful for this one. Great opening credits, with startling freeze-frames. And the movie was looking stylish, though the set-up (people from different walks of life stranded at scary mansion) has been done to death. And ... not much happens. Oh, there are some deaths which may or may not involve something supernatural. And there are some good creepy moments. But by the end I was left thinking "Is that it?"

October 17th
49. Orgasmo (1969) - No, not "Orgazmo" by the South Park guys. This is an Umberto Lenzi giallo, whose title was changed to "Paranoia" in the US (wonder what problem they had with "Orgasmo"? ). And Lenzi had to make things difficult by calling his next giallo (with the same star) "Paranoia". Anyway, this isn't a good movie by any stretch. Unlikable lead actress (who does nothing but bully, belittle, and complain). Very dated camera tricks. An annoying soundtrack. Especially that awful "love theme". You'll hear it on piano ... you'll hear with jazzy horns ... you'll hear it with a psychedelic guitar ... you'll hear it sung with words ... you'll hear it sung with meaningless "doo doo do doo"s ... you'll hear it after you turn off the movie. You'll learn to hate it. But through all this, the movie has entertainment value. There are two beautiful women, and they get naked and have sex a lot (with a title like "Orgasmo" they better). It's mostly bad in a fun way (especially if you like movies of this genre and era). It's short and doesn't overstay it's welcome. And I liked the ending.

50. Supernatural: "Monster Movie" (2008) - Wildcard #6

51. The Etruscan Kills Again (1972) - I love the names they come with for some of these gialli. Pretty mediocre movie. The set-up is good, with murders taking place around an Etruscan archaelogical site which may be related to an ancient evil portrayed on the walls. The "hero", the professor in charge of the dig, is an incredibly unlikable bastard: he's arrogant, he drinks, he fools around with other guy's wives, he smacks around his girlfriend. Other characters are even more unlikable. And this giallo is rather tame as far as sex and violence is concerned. The "mystery" and subsequent explanation is rather silly. The movie is competently made though, and has a really nice score. Beware: the US version has been renamed "The Dead Are Alive" and it's misleadingly marketed as a zombie movie.

October 18th
52. Caltiki, The Immortal Monster (1959) - Like "I Vampiri", this credits Riccardo Freda as director and Mario Bava as DoP - but Bava is reported to have done a significant amount of the directing. Even more than that earlier movie, Bava's touch shines through - the B&W cinematography is beautiful. This is a wonderful 50's monster movie - I completely agree with DVDTalk's review of the R2 DVD. It is "The Blob" crossed with "The Quatermass Experiment" done in the style of film noir. And it is extremely gruesome for it's time - with scenes of Caltiki melting the flesh off various victims. The effects are also quite good (although the scene with the tanks rolling to the rescue are obvious miniatures). If you like Bava and/or 50's sci-fi monster movies, this is worth the effort tracking down.

53. Satan's Slave (1976) - This is no Hammer movie, that for sure! Even considering Hammer's more risque later movies, none of them had gore and sleaze like this. Though besides that, this isn't that different. Gough is no Lee or Cushing, but he's a veteran of the genre. And the setting of an isolated British mansion, with a story about a cute girl gradually suspecting something bad is up with her relatives, is familiar. I'm rather surprised at the extremely low imdb rating (3.2). This was reasonably well-made and entertaining, and much more interesting than Hammer's own Satanic feature of 1976 (To the Devil A Daughter).

54. Prey (1978) - Humans are high in protein and easy prey. Damn you, arrogant alien vampires! Think of this like ET. But if ET sprouted fangs and ate people. And if instead of Elliot, he was befriended by a couple of bickering vegetarian lesbians. Come to think of it, I guess this isn't very much like ET after all. Though it does have a scene where the alien is forced to wear a dress. Not as gory or sleazy as the director's earlier "Satan's Slave", though it has it's moments. And there's more silly interactions between the oddball characters than horror movie stuff. Still not bad, and mercifully short.

55. Seed (2007) - Uwe Boll has stated that his intention was to make a movie that was no fun. Congratulations Uwe ... you've succeeded! I won't deny that the movie manages to be disturbing at times (though it's incredibly low to use the animal atrocity stuff). But moments of effectiveness were undermined by various problems. Instead of being believable, the killer was laughable - like something Vince McMahon would've rejected for being too silly. The acting is spotty. Word about Boll must've gotten out - in the past I've been amazed at the name actors who signed up, but here the best star power he can muster is Michael Pare. The timeline of the story is unnecessarily jumbled. And Boll destroys several key sequences by the inability to properly light a scene. The short on the DVD, "Criticized", was pretty good though - managing to do in 18 minutes what "Seed" couldn't in 90.

October 19th
56. Severance (2006) - I suppose anything following Uwe Boll would seem pretty good. Regardless, I think this is solid stuff. I like the basic concept - of mixing "The Office" on a field trip with a slasher movie. The deleted scenes were interesting - they really toned done the comedy by cutting some stuff out.

57. Hatchet (2006) - And here we are with another horror comedy - I suppose a good thing to completely wash the taste of Boll's "Seed" out of my mouth. More overtly comic than "Severance". What Adam Green did very well for me was establishing the characters. Instead of an Eli Roth movie, with these long preludes with unbearably obnoxious characters, I really enjoyed the set-up here. If it didn't turn into a slasher movie, this could be a straight-up comedy that I could enjoy. But it is a slasher movie, and slash (and stab ... and rip ... and poke ... and sand) it does. Because it's so silly and over the top, it's not the least bit scary. But this movie does perfectly fine as a comedy, and for horror fans it's fun to see the crazy kills (with no CGI!) they come up with. Very unsatifying ending though - it almost seems like the movie cuts short accidentally.

58. Wicked, Wicked (1973) - Duo Duo Vision Vision is is annoying annoying!! Though without the gimmick the movie would've been unwatchably bad. Really tame (only PG rated) with very little mystery (the killer's identity is revealed early, though you could guess who it was even earlier) or suspense. There are a few moments where the Duo-Vision is fun - like when you see in one screen the fantasy that's going through a character's mind in the other. Using one screen for an annoying organ player (as a way of incorporating a soundtrack) seems cute at first, but gets old fast.

October 20th
59. The Black Cat (1941) - The second "Black Cat" movie with Bela Lugosi, and by far the inferior one. Oh, this is ok (the first one is a masterpiece). Very familiar mixing of genre cliches - a spooky old mansion with greedy relatives squabbling over a will, and a murderer on the loose. Even in 1941 this must've been old hat. But it's well-made and has a fine cast. I quickly grew tired of Hugh Hebert's comic relief. But comic relief has been done much more annoyingly in other movies of the time, and the movie has the good sense to keep him out of it when things get serious.

60. Man Made Monster (1941) - Solid sci-fi/horror for it's time. Chaney's first horror movie, and he and Lionell Atwill (the mad scientist) do a fine job. Chaney in particular. He doesn't have the menace of other horror stars. But he's an incredibly sympathetic figure on-screen (despite his size). I don't think anyone does the "tragic monster" better than him. "Man Made Monster" is a familiar story, though the concept of an "Electrical Man" was probably novel at the time. And at less than an hour, this just rips along. In fact, it rips along too fast - I think things would've been improved with a little more development. Especially disappointing is that the movie completely skips (in the movie, characters only describe it afterwards) what should've been the highlight:
Spoiler:
where Chaney's character is supposed to be executed in the electric chair. But when they pull the lever, he gets "powered up", and breaks free killing all of the guards. I can't believe they didn't show this. It felt like the "money shot" the movie was working its way up to. There are plenty of other scenes with a glowing Chaney shocking people - I can't believe they didn't bother with just one more.

61. Horror Island (1941) - A fun little genre programmer. Hidden treasure, a spooky castle, a peg-legged pirate, a caped phantom, a building body count ... what more could you ask for? I really like how they did the comic relief here. Instead of a having a single annoying comic relief character, they spread it out throughout the cast. It felt like a live-action Scooby Doo ... and I loved Scooby Doo.

62. Night Monster (1942) - Another solid oldie in the "Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive" DVD set. Lugosi and Atwill are back on hand, so you're already set for the sinister potential villains. Seems like the standard deal ... spooky mansion, motley crew of houseguests, and a killer on the loose. But this really does have some good scare scenes (especially when people are walking through the foggy swamp). The mystery is actually pretty interesting, and unlike most movies of this ilk there's an honest-to-god supernatural element. One big question that I had regarding the revelation of the killer:
Spoiler:
So this guy could materialize arms and legs from somewhere else for short periods? Does that mean that some unlucky bastard in the world just has his limbs disappear? Ewww

63. Captive Wild Woman (1943) - Another good horror cast with John Carradine and 40's Scream Queen Evelyn Ankers. They just loved movies about apes in the 40's, didn't they? Acquanetta makes a cute ape girl - it was probably wise to not give her any lines and just ask her to stare expressively. I could've done with a little less lion and tiger action - it felt like it took up half the movie.

October 21st
64. Terror in the Midnight Sun (1959) - The first (and last?) Swedish giant monster movie! If you like lots of scenes of people skiiing, then I have the movie for you! And if that's not enough, you get to hear the theme song ("Midnight Sun") sung in Swedish with xylophone accompaniment! The filmmakers were probably wise not showing the monster until 2/3's of the movie was done, and location shooting looks nice. Am I a perve when after reading imdb comments about a surprising nude shower scene, I was pissed that I never noticed such a scene? Probably. I didn't quite get what was going on at the end:
Spoiler:
so there's these aliens, and they just bring along a big furry monster who escapes? And the aliens don't seem to care much (outside of scaring the lead actress) and just let the humans kill it?

65. ☼ Porno Holocaust (1981) - Time for another classy horror offering from Joe D'Amato! Word is that D'Amato and friend George Eastman threw this movie together on a lark to get a paid vacation to the Carribean out of the financiers - and it shows. This is a full-blown porno movie - most of the running time devoted to the sex with the barest of plots holding things together. It's a little surprising (with D'Amato doing legit horror features) that the sex part is stronger than the horror. Not that the sex is great, but it's passable. I've read some comments trashing the looks of the women, but I didn't have a problem with it. I prefer the realistic looking women of the 70's and early 80's over the heavily made-up surgically enhanced porn stars of today. Of course, the zombie sex is hard to watch (especially the one scene where he rapes the woman after killing her ... but still bothers to manuever her dead body into all the standard porn positions). As a horror movie, this is awful. Not even sure if you can call the monster a zombie, instead of just a skinny ugly horny guy. It's laughable D'Amato tries to play the "sympathize with the monster" card at the end - after all the raping and killing. At nearly 2 hours, this was a chore to get through - if it wasn't for me trying to play honest for the challenge, I'm sure I would've used my fast-forward button.

66. Doctor Strange (1978) - In the name of Rael, Scourge of Demons, I command you, begone! Haven't seen this since I was a kid. It's hokey, dated, and suffers from needing to devote so much time for the set-up - but entertaining and fine for what it is. It's too bad a series never developed from this - a decent horror/fantasy/action series in the late 70's would've been very welcome. And the set-up had potential: with Strange (still learning his powers), Merlin (oops ... I mean Lindmer), and Wong combating the evil plans of demonic cult-leader Morgan LeFay and other supernatural threats on a weekly basis. It would be nice to see that rumoured Neil Gaiman scripted feature of Doctor Strange develop into something.

67. Ghost of Chibusa Enoki (1958) - Shortish (50 minutes) Japanese ghost story. Pretty standard stuff - bad guy kills man, man comes back as ghost to get revenge. But well-made, and gets points for being such an early J-Horror and not trying to bloat the story beyond what is needed. Like other Japanese movies that I've seen, it has an odd and rather reprehensible societal attitude towards women. Specifically
Spoiler:
a married woman is raped after the life of her child is threatened. But afterward, the rapist is completely safe from her turning him in to the authorities - because a woman committing adultery (even being raped) is a worse crime than the rape. You might think that this is because this was a period piece, but I've seen the same line of thinking go into modern Japanese movies.

October 22nd
68. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - An oldie but a goodie. The bizarre visuals and plot twists still make this work today - I can only imagine how much it knocked people on their asses back when it was new. I know it's not the fault of the movie, but I didn't like the music on the DVD version I saw - far too overbearing.

69. Chloe, Love is Calling You (1934) - Well that's a scary title for a horror movie, isn't it? This is one of those roadside-showing super cheapies. Similar to what was done for exploitation movies like "Reefer Madness" and "Maniac". What must've made this movie so shocking is that has ... prepare yourself ... black people. On the surface, this had potential. A young woman of mixed race caught between love and racial prejudices of the day, with a mother who's a Voodoo queen looking to avenge her lynched husband. For a short while, I was fooled into thinking that this was going to be a progressive movie for its time dealing with the stereotypes of race. Oh how wrong I was! This is one of the most jaw-droppingly racist movies I've seen. Forget the fact the supposedly mixed race Chloe and her supposedly black suitor are as white-as-white-can-be. Chloe's "black blood" is referred to like it's a disease. The other black men in the movie are shown as ready to drag a woman away and rape her at a moment's notice. Oh, there's one "good" black man. He's the servant of the local Colonel - he serves a great drink, always smiles, and always obeys orders. When the Colonel explains the story of the lynching, it's just so casual - oh well, I fired this lazy black and walking home some good 'ol boys hunted him down and lynched him ... what's his widow so mad about? And regarding Chloe's "black blood":
Spoiler:
when it's revealed she's really 100% white everyone jumps for joy (but only after confirmation when a scientfic examination of her hair reveals not enough kinkiness to be black ... seriously). Even Chloe ditches the black family who raised her, the black (supposedly) man who loves her, without a second thought.
There's a great write-up of this movie here: breaking down the levels of rascism from "Abercrombie and Fitch" all the way up to "Third Reich". Having said all this, it was kind of an interesting movie to watch. I wasn't familiar with the name, but lead actress Olive Borden was supposed to be one of the top stars of the silent era (she has a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame). But this was her last movie (at only 28), and her life fell apart afterward before dying on Skid Row at age 40. And the director, Marshall Neilan, was one of the top directors of the silent era until a feud with Louis Mayer (the second "M" of MGM) doomed his career. I watched the DVD that was part of the 50-pack "Tales of Terror". Be warned ... between the horrible sound quality, hillbilly accents, and mumbled deliveries it was a great struggle to understand what was being said.

70. Erotic Nights of the Living Dead (1980) - I was wary of Joe D'Amato porno zombie movies after "Porno Holocaust", but this was supposed to be better. Of course, being a Joe D'Amato porno zombie movie "better" still only means a 3.0/10 at imdb One thing that struck me is that this isn't really a porno movie. There are some hard-core scenes, more soft-core (glad to see writer/star George Eastman wised up and wrote himself into the sex action), and there's a real horror movie here. Way too long at nearly 2 hours - I hate to say it, but I think the movie would be better trimming some of the non-plot-relevant sex scenes to get down to a more reasonable 90 minutes or so. D'Amato manages some effective scenes (like when the zombies rise) but I was hoping for a little more story development about what the deal was with the zombie island. But thank god there's no zombie sex action in this one.

October 23rd
71. Terror at Red Wolf Inn (1972) - Awfully familiar story (quaint family brings in girls to their Inn ... and if you can't guess what they're really up to within 20 minutes than you haven't watched enough horror movies), though for 1972 it preceeds most of the more well-known movies with the same plot,
Spoiler:
that is, all the other cannibal family movies ... "Motel Hell" is probably closest in tone, though there are tons more.
The lead actress is cute, and there are a few memorable WTF moments: especially SHARK!!! and that out-of-left-field ending.

72. The Devil's Messenger (1961) - Not sure why this anthology has such horrible comments on imdb. Yeah, Lon Chaney looks like hell, but anyone familiar with his career should expect that seeing him in anything later than the 40's. The three stories were solid. The gimmick of the 1st is familiar to later things: a photographer takes a picture of a girl who he later kills ... only to find that the picture keeps changing with the girl getting closer and closer. The 2nd story had an interesting set-up - an ancient girl embedded in ice is found, and a scientist finds himself becoming obsessed with her. Disappointing ending though. The last story is familiar, but does it's job - a fortune teller tells a man he will die at midnight at her hand. The linking material is kind of goofy, especially the "explosive" finale. And when your name is Satanya, aren't you kind of fated to become of servant of Satan?

October 24th
73. Murder Obsession (1981) - A bit surprising to see Riccardo Freda do a blood and boobs giallo, considering he kicked off Italian horror with restrained gothic affairs. But still, this is pretty good. It has as an interesting story with an actor who may (or may not) be suffering from murderous blackouts, good music and direction, hints of the supernatural, and Laura Gemser (the other Emannuele) gets naked. Like a lot of these, the hero is rather an unlikable bastard and the less you think about the plot the better. It picks up steam at the end with a crazy ending.

74. Knife of Ice (1972) - And here's a giallo whose director surprises in the opposite direction. I thought Lenzi was a sleazemeister, but this is an intelligent, restrained, classy affair. Another familiar giallo story - a mute woman is terrorized by a killer who seems to be striking at everyone close to her. Needless to say, the Satan-worshipping British hippy is suspect #1. But how often does the obvious suspect turn out to be the real killer in these things? Like most of these things, crap dubbing of some characters really hurts any attempt at serious dramatic moments. But the good outweighs the bad, and there's an interesting (if maybe not logical) finale.

75. Vampire's Night Orgy (1973) - Well ... there are vampires ... and there is night ... BUT WHERE'S THE ORGY?!?!? Outside of that, this is pretty decent. The vampire attacks are a lot more like Romero-zombies. Good oppressive atmosphere (spooky run-down cloudy isolated village) and the way some of the stranded people are picked off is pretty creepy. What isn't good is a horrible upbeat jazzy score that does its best to destroy the mood at every moment.

October 25th
76. A Dragonfly for Each Corpse (1974) - Not a fan of Naschy's werewolf movies, but I'll give him a shot in a giallo. With the focus on Naschy's no-nonsense detective, this plays a lot more like a police thriller than a horror-giallo. I think the filmmakers had the Dirty Harry series in mind when doing this, even down to the plot of a loose cannon detective on the hunt for a serial killer that kills other criminals. But fear not giallo fans - there's more than enough gore and nudity (some hilariously gratuitous).

77. Forbidden Siren (2006) - I didn't know before that this was based on a PS2 game. And I wouldn't have guessed afterward, since it plays nothing like a video-game movie. Much more of a slow-burn psychological horror story. Very well-made, and I liked the idea of the mysterious island and siren. The ending ... yeah, if you check the comments at imdb it doesn't sit well with everyone. I think the basic idea of what they did was fine, was the handling was a little clunky (and it doesn't really explain all the mysteries that were built up).

78. The Norliss Tapes (1973) - Another classy and scary made-for-tv horror by Dan Curtis. The "monster" is fearsome and vicious, and I was glad it didn't up being a vampire story (despite the plot of a dead husband draining people of blood). Too bad the series (or even another movie) never developed. Even though the plotline of the vampire-killer was wrapped up, you're left hanging on a lot more.

October 26th
79. The Slit-Mouthed Woman (2005) - Not to be confused with "A Slit-Mouthed Woman" (aka "Carved"). Mostly a soft-core sex movie, with a generic ghost story filling in the gaps. Though I guess the slit-mouth ghost has some potential - hopefully the other movie did more with it.

80. Corpse Mania (1981) - Very odd offering from Shaw Brothers. Fortunately there wasn't so much necrophilia horror (which doesn't really float my boat), as straight-up slasher mystery. In giallo fashion, logic doesn't always prevail. But the killer has a cool look, and the movie entertains.

81. Visible Secret (2001) - Stylishly made but do we really need another take on "The Sixth Sense" (young man starts dating a strange girl who sees dead people). The performances are winning, and this works a lot better as a romantic comedy/drama than a horror movie. Scenes with a headless ghost are pretty cool, but there's some possession stuff that pretty laughable.

82. Woods are Wet: A Woman's Hell (1973) - A pinku take on De Sade's "Justine". A woman is on the run accused of murdering her mistress. She's taken in by a kind woman, and her husband offers a deal: she can stay as long as she plays their games. Then some guests arrive, and things get very nasty. Japanese exploitation of this era can be pretty nasty - this movie lulls you into a false sense of security in the first 20 minutes. Then the rape/torture/gore kicks in. Like other De Sade adaptations, the story doesn't go anywhere in particular and seems to serve no point other than chronicling depravity.

October 27th
83. Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey (1932) - Second time I've tried to watch this. First time I fell asleep. Since everyone says this is a masterpiece, I figure I owed it a second shot I stayed awake this time, though to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. Some striking moments, but awfully dull. Everything was slow. People walked slow, talked slow, read slow. On the plus side, I suppose I save some money from having this be one Criterion DVD I won't need to pick up.

October 28th
84. Werewolf Woman (1976) - Time for a real horror classic! First thing to get out of the way for prospective viewers - there's not a lot of werewolf woman action in this one. So before you become a disgruntled reviewer saying "Waaaah ... where's the werewolf woman?!?" ... you should know this. This is a really crappy movie - but crappy good. I can see why Quentin Tarantino loves this - it's pretty much the quintessential grindhouse movie that he tried to recreate in "Grindhouse". You have multiple bases covered: rape-revenge story, women kicking ass, gratuitous nudity and sex, monster mayhem, Exorcist rip-off possession scenes. You also have an abrupt out-of-nowhere ending ... but that's par for the grindhouse course. In particular, I love the doctor character. He spouts out the silliest technobabble. He uses pool balls to illustrate complex psychological issues. Speaking of pool, every shot he does is a trick shot (though in one shot, he shoots an orange ball knocking the white ball in the corner pocket - not the object of the game as far as I know). And he tells us that werewolves are a scientifically accepted idea - and that anyone born on Christmas Eve becomes a werewolf. Wait a second ... wouldn't that mean there are about a million werewolves in the US alone?

85. Films to Keep You Awake: A Real Friend (2006) - Silly entry in the series, but I found it enjoyable. I notice this divides viewers - I think the key is to approach this as a twisted child's fantasy, rather than a horror movie. Yeah, most of the time when movies pull out the cliche ending this one does it makes you mad.
Spoiler:
That is ... the "it was all a dream" cop-out ending.
But this really telegraphs the "twist" ... the story doesn't make sense without it. One disappointing thing was that we didn't see more more classic monsters on the loose - a lot more fun could've been had with it.

October 29th
86. Films to Keep You Awake: Blame (2006) - Fetus, don't fail me now! This gets my vote for worst of the series. It's well-directed and acted. But the story fails big-time by degenerating into right wing pro-life propaganda (and the right wing agenda clearly spills over into the agressive lesbian abortionist character). There doesn't seem to be enough story to fill the 70 minute running time. Things do pick up at the end, but it's a major let-down that
Spoiler:
there's not really a murderous fetus on the loose , but just a woman driven to murderous psychosis by the guilt from having an abortion.

87. Films to Keep You Awake: Spectre (2006) - Stylishly done, this has the feel of a Spanish Stephen King or Peter Straub story (going back and forth in time between a coming-of-age story involving a tragedy, and the grown-up men haunted by their past reliving the memories). Don't expect much a horror movie though. And even with the subtle slow pace, the ending still manages to be disappointingly underwhelming.

88. The Terror Beneath the Sea (1966) - It's Sonny "Street Fighter" Chiba versus Creatures From the Black Lagoon! What more needs to be said?!? Chiba's not quite yet in full ass-kicking mode. In fact, he seems to get knocked about and captured more than Aquaman in "Super Friends". And I think he has a hot blonde American girlfriend, but the movie seems to tip-toe around the idea of an interracial romance. Plenty of silliness, but that's par for the course for a 60's Japanese monster/sci-fi/action movie.

89. The Trollenberg Terror (1958) - aka "The Crawling Eye". This is much better than its reputation (again - just because MST3K riffs a movie doesn't automatically mean it's crap). There are serious slow patches between the opening decapitation and eye crawling finale, but the script is literate for this genre and there are some spooky moments. And the ending is great, starting with the feeling of dread as the alien clouds roll in (like "The Fog" and "The Mist"). As silly as it sounds, I thought the eye monsters were well done (especially considering this is the 50's). I liked the pulsing sound when they were on the move, and I'm sure it was scary as hell in the day when they'd burst open a door revealing that big eye and the tentacles start slithering in. One thing I didn't get: the whole movie a big deal is made about how the psychic girl is dangerous to the aliens. But when it's all said and done, she doesn't do crap except cower and scream

90. The Bat (1959) - It's Endora the Witch versus Vincent Price! Kind of a typical B&W murder-mystery: spooky house with secret passages, stranded women, killer-on-the-loose, hidden treasure. We've seen it plenty of times (in fact, I've seen it a few times just in this year's challenge). The star power alone makes this worth your time. And the killer's costume is great, with all-black cape/mask/hat and "Freddy Krueger" razor-fingers. In fact he's pretty nasty, not hesitating to rip out a woman's throat (without the slightest bit of blood of course). But you'd have to think it's hard for "The Bat" to break-and-enter and search for treasure with those hands.

October 30th
91. The Thing From Another World (1951) - Watch the skies!!! Couldn't fall asleep and saw this was playing on TCM - and I couldn't help myself. This long after it was made, still a cracking good movie. No "filler" scenes, sharp dialog, good characters, great atmosphere - fully deserves its "classic" statis without the qualifier "for its time". I still get a jolt from that one scare when the door is opened only to have the Thing just standing there - I can't imagine how much that made people crap their pants in the early 50's.

92. The Gruesome Twosome (1967) - And we go from the penthouse to the outhouse. Isn't that right, Napoleon? Really really bad, even by HG Lewis standards. Though it's so bad it's almost fascinating. A ridiculous amount of filler for such a short movie, some of it painfully obvious (like that manniquin-head dialog and the eating sequence). HG Lewis does score historical points for an early example of blatant product placement (KFC provided the food for the shoot). Yeah, this has the expected gore. Of course it doesn't make sense - if they're killing the girls for the hair, what's the point of cutting open her stomach and pulling out the intestines and liver?

93. The Plague of the Zombies (1966) - Oh yeah! Hammer does an old-school (voodoo, not Romero-esque) zombie movie. Even though you have lesser Hammer talent on both sides of the camera, this is still really good. The first zombie murder and person coming back as a zombie are still great scare scenes, and the highlight is a fantastic scene where the zombies claw their way out of their graves in the cemetery. The mystery is easy enough to figure out, but that doesn't prevent this from being top entertainment.

Halloween!
94. L'Immoralita (1978) - Think of this like being a cross between a giallo and "Lolita". You have a love triangle between a psychopath on the run who rapes and murders little girls, a sexually frustrated woman who wishes her invalid rich husband would just die already, and a precocious 11 year old girl. Yeah, that alone is probably enough to have most people bail on this movie. But for the brave that persevere, this is actually quite good. Fortunately the tone is that of an arthouse drama, not an exploitation giallo. While tough to watch at times, the character interactions are fascinating. As unbelievable as it might seem that the mother and daughter are friendly with the man despite knowing exactly what he is, the story makes a case for it by exploring their psychologies. The performances are strong, especially that of the girl (who never did another movie). Genre vet Mel Ferrer has a small but good role (as the husband). The movie makes an interesting decision by never portraying the rapist/murderer as a villain. Sure, the acts speak for themselves. But the character is almost sympathetic, wanting to get close to people while consumed by a clear mental illness. When the mother asks why he kills the girls, he flatly responds "I wanted to help them stay young forever". So you have this trio interacting, along with the husband, and the police and angry townspeople hunting for the killer ... things eventually build to a shocking yet fitting conclusion. There's also a fantastic beautiful score by the maestro Ennio Morricone. Not surprising this never had a US release, and I doubt it ever will.

95. The Haunted Palace (1963) - Or "Edgar Allan Poe's The Haunted Palace", as the title screen tells us ... Corman has a nice bit to say on the DVD about that (though HPL got a co-adaptation line later in the opening credits. Good, but there were better Poe/Corman movies. Doesn't really get into the Lovecraftian horror you'd be hoping for (and the blurry monster in the pit is rather silly). The foggy Arkham looks great though. For my money, the best version of this story is the rather neglected "The Resurrected".

96. Die, Monster, Die! (1965) - Talk about your dramatic titles - especially considering at no point in the movie does someone try to kill a monster (they mostly seem to die on their own). Nice to see Nick Adams take a breather to battle monsters that aren't trying to stomp Tokyo. And wait a second ... did they just move the city of Arkham to England?!? Which Old One is responsible for this catastrophe? Karloff is always great, but it makes me sad to see him wheelchair bound (he seemed in such great health just a couple years earlier in "The Raven"). Like "Haunted Palace", a solid movie that feels like it could've been better if the filmmakers just went the extra mile.

97. The Shuttered Room (1967) - This one I haven't seen for ages. Last viewing was when I was a kid - and I think I was pissed off because the "monster" was lame and too much emphasis was put on Oliver Reed and his gang of white trash hooligans. Ah, what do kids know? One thing this movie does really well is establish that feeling of run-down New England familial paranoia that HPL's stories have. Though I kind of agree with my earlier assessment - the "monster" reveal was underwhelming, and seemed inconsistent with how ferocious a killer it was shown to be earlier in the movie. And Gig Young's karate chops are just silly looking - all he needed were some exagerated "Hi Ya"s. The one hoodlum had a great response: "Don't you be bringing me that imported fightin'. Here's a good ol' American punch for ya!" I really didn't like the music either. The acid-jazz score is intrusive and just doesn't fit the atmosphere you're going for in a Lovecraft movie (not to mention that it horribly dates the movie).

98. The Dunwich Horror (1970) - It's not a good sign when the best thing in a movie is the opening credits (along with a great musical theme). One of the few HPL adaptations to really dive faithfully into the mythos. And considering how bad it came off here, maybe there's a reason for that. I'd be tempted to say that the acting was lousy. But when fine actors like Dean Stockwell, Ed Begley, and Sam Jaffe all suck, I think the blame lies elsewhere (like with the script and/or direction). Stockwell, in particular, is amazingly bad - looking and sounding like a slightly older version of Napolean Dynamite. That doesn't cut it when the character is supposed to be a charismatic menacing villain. And the final confrontation between Stockwell and Begley is a riot - with Stockwell holding his pinkies to the side of his head, both shouting Lovecraftian gibberish at each other. I'm even willing to give the movie a pass for how the monster looked (and to be fair, you only saw it in one quick shot). There are sporadic effective moments, but I mostly found the entertainment to be found from so-bad-its-good moments.

99. Blood Feast (1963) - Why am I watching this crap again? At this point, I'm questioning my choice to go with TCM on Halloween instead of digging up some all-time classics from my DVD collection. There's one reason to watch this - the historical use of gore. Beyond that, it's almost painful. The intentional humor that HG Lewis would use later in his career isn't really here. The music is headache inducing. Everything between the murders is dull as dirt. And even the gore isn't up to HG's later standards - too cheap to even have make-up effects for the stabbings/cuttings/choppings, all you get here are post-murder close-ups of the killer holding bits of animal gore. But I do like the idea that a film could be so inept on every level ... but because HG Lewis had the balls to use blood, it became a hit.

100. 2000 Maniacs (1964) - Yee Haaaa! The South's gonna rise again! Light years better than "Blood Feast". The idea of a Civil War horror version of "Brigadoon" is a good one. While not scary, or even particularly gory, by modern standards, "2000 Maniacs" entertains by a sharp sense of humor and likable enthusiastic performances (especially by the maniacs). And you have to love the banjo music that plays throughout.

Last edited by brainee; 11-01-08 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
This is my spot!

My goal is to average one a day, but we'll see what happens.

An asterik (*) after a title indicates a first-time view.

Click on title to see movie poster!

October 1

1. Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood * Well, I guess this one lived up to its reputation. If you are looking for plot or anything like that, go elsewhere because there isn't any. If you like gore, this is the one for you. It was kind of strange because you are initially taken aback by how in your face it is, then grow a bit numb and then a little nauseated. I'm a sucker for shock cinema, though, so I needed to watch this, if for no other reason than to say that I had. Oh, and the "snuff" version I didn't find too effective. The creepy narration in the regular version kept things interesting. To me, anyway, the snuff version had the opposite of its intended effect. It was supposed to feel extra creepy because it felt more "real," but instead, it just made the effects limitations more glaring.

2. Nosferatu A true classic. I have always had a love affair with the German Expressionist films of this time. It's a shame Murnau died so young; he definitely had some more special films left in him. When Nosferatu may not be your best film, that's a pretty good career. Orlok remains one of the all-time creepiest vampire creations ever put on film. Max Schreck couldn't have been more perfectly cast.

3. Child's Play 2 * I had never seen any of the sequels to this series. It's always been hard for me to really take this series seriously. It's a doll for crying out loud! Brad Dourif is perfect voice casting, but this series has just never excited me too much. I did like the finale in the factory, though.

October 2

4. Child's Play 3 * Here is the third Child's Play. I was happy that at the end of September HBO HD played these back to back. I actually liked this one a little bit more than the second, and I don't know why. The new kid in this one was really annoying and Chucky following Andy to military school was pretty far-fetched, but I enjoyed it a bit more than the previous entry. Not sure what to expect from the next sequels (Seed and Bride).

5. Black Christmas (remake) * I'm a huge fan of the original, one that I have no problem placing beside Halloween, not only in quality but in importance. This remake, however, missed the mark. I didn't watch the unrated version (this was recorded from Showtime HD), but I was pretty surprised how vicious the killings were and how much gore was shown. But the plot devolved into an almost nonsensical mess and the choice to reveal the origin of Billy just felt cheap and uncalled for. Can't we have some mystery in our villains anymore? It made the original so much creepier. Watch the original; skip this one.

October 3

6. Snuff * I almost feel guilty counting this as my X-rated horror movie. I didn't watch it for the checklist; it was just a happy accident after the fact that I realized it was released as an X. Anyway, the movie was just BAD. But I will admit that it was so bad that I laughed quite a bit through it. If you are looking for something to fill that mold, this can be an entertaining watch. The film is nowhere near as exciting as the movie poster would lead you to believe. If you are looking for something a bit more hardcore that toes the imitation snuff line, see my first entry.

7. The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots * Often credited as being the first horror movie, it's a very quick watch and interesting from a historical perspective. I was actually really surprised at how well done the edit was for the decapitation.

8. Wolf I'm very mixed on this one. I remember it was considered a flop when it first came out, but I always thought it was a bit underrated. Well, years go by, I see this is going to show on HDNet Movies and figured I would record and watch for this challenge. Well, I think I was right and wrong. I still don't think it was the flop that some think it was, but it wasn't as good as I remembered either. I think the rather silly makeup is what really prevents this movie from becoming something more.

9. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Credited as the first German Expressionist film, it might also still be my favorite of the movement. I just love looking at the beautifully rendered sets. And the acting is just so perfect for this film. Is it realistic? No, but that's not what these actors were supposed to be doing. It's supposed to be stylized. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it before. And the ending just shows that the "gotcha" ending has been around for a long, long time.

10. Dead Alive I am so happy I had the chance to introduce this movie to a couple of my friends! This Peter Jackson film is just an absolute blast to watch. It's a hilarious gore-fest that actually retains a little bit of a heart. Not an easy thing to do. Be prepared for a lot of blood. A lot. And just remember that the man who created this film has now won multiple Oscars.

October 4

11. Child's Play I pretty much only watched this one again for the checklist. It really is a cut above the two sequels that I have already watched. Still doesn't have the juice that a lot of other slaher films have, in my opinion. But it's a fun movie.

12. Who Can Kill a Child? * I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but I really liked it. I appreciated the way the subject of these murderous youths was handled. The kids all acted in a very casual way, like nothing was wrong, but of course they are doing some mighty horrendous things. It wasn't necessary to make the children have crazy eyes or act in a peculiar way to explain their actions; it made it scarier because they didn't do that. I would definitely recommend this one. And to answer the question the title of the movie poses, I could if I was on that island!

13. Giant Gila Monster * Time for some fun! Sometimes you just need some schlock, and a Saturday afternoon is perfect for that. This one was a lot of fun to watch. Of course, don't get into this movie expecting some great special effects marvel of its time or award-worthy performances. But that's why people still watch this movie in the first place. The Gila monster was pretty cute, and really sucked that the toy car had to hurt him. (Love the movie poster, by the way!)

14. Dementia 13 * Why do people still watch this movie? Because it is directed by Francis Ford Coppola? Is it worth watching? There are some moments where you might get a hint of the filmmaker Coppola would become, but overall, I found this effort to be pretty boring. Happy that I watched it, though.

15. Killer Shrews * More schlock! It's hard to imagine how one would even go about deciding that a shrew would be a great animal to make into a killer. This wasn't even the crazy Sixties yet! Another entry in the so bad it's hilarious category.

16. Texas Chainsaw Massacre Now this is horror! It's hard to top this one when it comes to just pure terror. It was fun because I got to introduce this movie to a friend of mine who had never seen it. I was jealous that he got to see it for the first time on Blu-ray. And I thought the Blu-ray looked great! A notable increase in detail but the movie still retained some grain and some ugliness about it (that's meant as a compliment). While it's still nowhere near as bloody as its reputation, I noticed a little more of the red stuff stand out with this Blu-ray presentation.

17. Night of the Living Dead Talk about a great double feature! This was an introduction for another friend of mine to the wonderful world of the Romero Dead movies. She had only seen the remake to Dawn and Diary of the Dead. It's still hard to believe this came out when it did. So ahead of its time. And those slow-moving zombies are tough to beat. But I couldn't help but notice that these "slow-moving" zombies at times seem a bit quicker than in the other films. Not that I'm complaining! As good as Dawn of the Dead is, I still think Night is the slightly better movie. But I wouldn't argue someone who thought Dawn was better.

October 5

18. Le Chaudron Infernal * How could anyone not like Melies? I would say that Melies was easily the first special effect wizard in motion picture industry. He was able to do such remarkable things -- and all in camera! I wouldn't say that is his most wondrous work or anything like that, but it's nice to see something that is more horror rather than the fantasy, comedy stuff he is usually known for.

19. Popcorn * I always heard about this movie but never saw it. I thought it was decent enough. There are certainly better slasher films out there, but there also are far, far worse ones. And I thought the cast was surprisingly solid, too. There are definitely faces that anyone who grew up in the '80s will recognize. All in all, I thought it was worth watching, but expect a little bit more humor in this one than you might normally find in slasher movies at the time.

20. Frankenstein (1910) * What a strange looking Frankenstein monster this is! Can you imagine what Karloff would have looked like in this makeup! There isn't a whole lot to it, but it's interesting to see how the perception of the monster has changed over time.

21. Saw IV * This series really does nothing for me, and yet I feel compelled to watch all of them. It must be the gorehound in me. I found the opening 5 minutes to be pretty gratuitous. I know, I shouldn't exactly be surprised by that. There was maybe one killing that made me go "whoah," but otherwise this was just more of the same. And if you like the previous ones, you probably won't be let down too much by this.

October 6

22. Cutting Class What can I say? It's been many, many years since I saw this one and noticed it was on Showtime HD. It was all pretty silly for the most part, but of course it's notable for a very early appearance by Brad Pitt. The low-budget makeup job didn't really do him any favors.

October 7

23. Blood and Black Lace * Now THIS is the Bava I've heard so much about! This is why I participated in this challenge this year: to wind up watching movies like this. This isn't my first Bava film. I had previously seen Twitch of the Death Nerve, which I kind of liked but was hard to because the audio transfer on the DVD I rented from Netflix was so bad you could barely hear anything; The Girl Who Knew Too Much, good but not great; and Black Sunday, which I thought was very good but it didn't quite live up to my immense expectations from its also immense reputation. Blood and Black Lace has made me a Bava believer, though. This film was a joy to just watch, it was so beautifully filmed. I also thought the killer looked particularly creepy. This one is highly recommended to all those who haven't seen it. I would highly say to watch it with the Italian audio, however. I tried to watch the dubbed version for 5 minutes because of the 5.1 sound, but the dubbing was so bad I couldn't take it. The Italian track was much better, though not 5.1.

24. The Tripper * An '80s obsessed, Reagan mask-wearing psycho is on the loose and killing hippies at a music festival. How could this not be good? Well, it's not. The description is better than the results. As a director, David Arquette should probably stick with acting. But seriously, it gets a bit better toward the end when the body count starts to rise, but this one can easily be skipped. I was hoping it would at least be a little fun funny. But alas, not funny enough for me to even remotely legitimize counting it toward a horror-comedy for the checklist. Why do these types of movies always sound better as a description?

25. Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror * Where is the MST3K team when you need them? Just sit back and enjoy this entry. It's bad, but to extent so glorious that it nearly becomes art. Maybe I would say it did become art if I hadn't been laughing so much. Oh, to list some of the highlights: the fake looking zombie masks, the zombies virtually without makeup (it's like they just gave up -- and yet there's still closeups of those zombies!), the young boy played by a grown man ... I could go on, but why spoil the fun for the rest of you? My only regret is that I watched this movie by myself. It would have been so much better to watch with a couple of friends and shout out at the screen. Highly recommended, though the horror on display is really the filmmaking. Note, the DVD listed the full title as I did, but IMDB only lists the movie as Burial Ground; evidently the Nights of Terror part confuses it.

October 8

26. Cold & Dark * This English horror film can pretty much be summed up in 2 words: Boring! Silly! And everyone seemed so damn serious in this. The "monster" of the film, which I recorded from Showtime HD, is a parasite that infects a body. It needs to feed and reveals itself by coming out of the person's hand, looking kinda like an even more phallic version of the baddies in the Alien movies (and yes, plenty of sex-like imagery with the hand attacks). The only member of the cast who looks like he understands how silly this movie is would be Matt Lucas of Little Britain fame. At least he hams it up a bit. If you're going to make a silly horror movie, might as well have fun! (see above entry)

27. The Gate Another one I recorded from Showtime. I watched this movie a ton as a kid (I was 10 when it came out). I remember liking it then but thinking it was a bit silly. Watching again after so many years, I was surprised at how not silly it was ... until the little claymation/stop-motion creatures come out. Oh yeah! Funny to see Steven Dorff when he was so young. It's still an entertaining movie. I would say it's a pretty good horror movie for viewers too young for more scary films but too old for Goosebumps, or whatever that "scary" kids show was.

28. Prophecy * The thing that I find the most surprising about this movie (besides the fact it was directed by John Frankenheimer) was that it was released in 1979. The story is about how a log company's waste begins to cause mutations in the wildlife, including a giant killer bear-like creature. I could totally see PETA raising money for a remake of this movie. It is certainly very timely (how our actions affect the environment), but it's also fairly silly. Some of the creatures veer more into humor territory rather than scary. But it's a diverting enough movie. At least it has something interesting it's trying to say.

29. Prom Night (original) * I can't believe I have never seen this movie! I think I had seen the sequel, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II, which, aside from having a fun title to say, I remember being pretty bad. I think that's what kept me away from this one for so long. Anyway, I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. Took some time for the body count to rise, but it was always entertaining. It cracked me up when they spent so long showing us a dance sequence, such an '80s thing to do, but then I really liked it because I thought it matched well with the final fight sequence on the dance floor, like they were both highly choreographed dance, which I guess they both were. Happy to finally see this one. Now whether or not to bother with the remake I've heard nothing good about ...

30. Curse of Frankenstein * This is my first Hammer film! As I explained in the discussion thread, I think my preference for slashers has always kept me away from the Hammer films, which typically focused on the classic movie monsters like Dracula, Wolf Man, Frankenstein. I really liked this title. It felt like a more mature telling of the Frankenstein tale than others I have seen. Although I have always known Christopher Lee did all of the great movie monster roles, it was weird for me to see him as Frankenstein's monster. But this has definitely convinced me that I need to spend some more time watching Hammer films.

October 9

31. Bride of Chucky * I guess I would put this above the two previous sequels. I like that there was a healthy amount of humor and that the main heroes of the story were clueless the dolls were alive for much of the film (usually the main character is trying to convince everyone they are alive). I loved the fact that these actually felt like dolls this time, that they were light, easy to haul around and didn't have supernatural or even ordinary human strength. That has always been a problem for me with the Chucky movies. It's just a doll! Don't treat it like it's stronger than we are! Anyway, I liked that the formula was changed up, but this still didn't make me a Chuck believer. If it weren't for this challenge, I probably wouldn't even bother watching the last one.

October 10

32. April Fool's Day * So here's the story with me and this film: I was just turning 9 when this was released in theaters. When out on VHS, my cousin was having a birthday party where they were watching this real late at night. I tried to stay up to watch because I was really interested in it (first signs of a horror fascination?) but was too young and fell asleep. I remember asking her what happened, who was the killer the next day. She told me the ending, which I won't spoil here, and I have never actually gone back and watched the whole movie ... until now. It's funny because I remember this movie being so much more gory and violent when I watched most of it as a kid. It's pretty tame stuff now. I hate that the ending was spoiled for me, but it was nice to finally go back and see the whole thing. Part of me has always held on to this movie because it was one of the first real tastes at horror that I can remember. Perhaps not seeing it the whole way through all those many years ago has always kept me wanting that little bit more. Good thing I didn't finish it because if I had, I don't think the movie or the genre would have held the same fascination for me.

33. Ring of Darkness * BAD! And not in a glorious way at all. Not at all the movie I pictured in my mind when I read the description browsing through the cable guide. The description, taken directly from my DVR: An unwitting singer joins a boy band in which the members are really zombies in disguise. What did I picture in my warped little brain: original Dawn of the Dead style gore crossed with This Is Spinal Tap. Needless to say, that's not what I got. I think this movie was so bad that it has convinced me not to just go through the DVR and record horror movies just so I can have something to watch for this challenge. But this one was especially upsetting because I could picture a really bad, tacky, fun, gory, Christoper Guest-like comedy. I pictured a band member's makeup coming off right before a concert, revealing rotted flesh falling off the face as another member is fiending for brains next to him. The one moment from this movie that actually made me smile was when the entire band was getting ready to eat a woman (though she didn't know that). She asks, "So you guys actually make love to your own music?" The answer: "Everybody makes love to our music." That moment of awfulness could have been in my movie. But nothing else. Of course, I have since IMDB'd this film and it's directed by a guy who specializes in making homoerotic horror-themed movies -- not that there's anything wrong with that (a Seinfeld moment!). And that certainly was a part of the movie. Did I forget to mention that at times it seems like one of those boy band videos where they all have their shirts off and have invisible sprinklers lightly spraying their bodies? The director has found a niche. And that's cool. Good for him. But have some humor! At least try to make something entertaining! Awful, awful, awful. Watch for my movie coming soon to theaters near you.

34. It Came From Beneath The Sea * I just got the Ray Harryhausen boxset on Blu-ray, and this is the first title that I watched. It's a good little creature flick, most notable being the film that brought together Harryhausen and producer Charles H. Schneer. It's cool to see an early glimpse of what Harryhausen was capable of.

35. Blood Feast Introduced a friend to Herschell Gordon Lewis. Before I saw this one, it was always the infamous Lewis film I heard about. But it's actually one of his more inept films, and I know that's really saying something! I much prefer some of his other stuff, but it's always fun to roll around in the over-the-top awfulness that typifies a Herschell Gordon Lewis picture.

36. Hellraiser * I had only ever previously seen one of the sequels and wasn't impressed. For some reason, I just never felt particularly interested in this series. Well, that has at least changed a bit. I really liked this one. Much better than I anticipated, and I appreciated that it was twisted in an atypical way. I hear the series goes downhill, but I'm looking forward to checking out at least the next two sequels (which I have borrowed from a friend).

October 11

37. My Bloody Valentine I've seen this slasher a few times, and I've always enjoyed it. I have always thought it was a standout among the '80s slashers.

38. Cabin Fever * I have been so curious about this movie for so long. I've read good things about it, but everyone I know who has actually seen it always have such vehement hatred toward this movie, even those who liked Hostel. Well, I don't think it is as bad as the naysayers say, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan either. It seemed like every time I started to get into the movie, something ridiculously juvenile or odd would happen that would completely take me out of the movie. And then it reached a point where it felt like no one really knew how to end the story so let's just starting out every horror movie cliche.

39. Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit I've always been a big Wallace and Gromit fan. I needed a good palette cleanser after Cabin Fever. This did a good job of that.

40. Spider Baby * What a shocker for me! I have never heard too much about this one, but I really loved it. Creepy and twisted with a bit of dark humor sprinkled throughout. The best way that I can think of describing it is Grey Gardens crossed with Texas Chainsaw or some other crazed family movie. And a very sensitive performance from Lon Chaney Jr. Watch this movie!

41. Don't Torture a Duckling * Another pleasant surprise, though not on the same level as Spider Baby. I have never really understood the Fulci fanatics. I've watched a few of his films and just never really understood the appeal. But this was probably the first Fulci movie that felt like a complete film to me. The cinematic flair was there and there was actually a story to support it. There were certainly some flaws (the ending comes to mind), though. I'm hoping I can find some other Fulci films that appeal to me in the same way. So, the verdict on Fulci is still out for me.

October 12

42. Sleepy Hollow I think this movie was better than I remembered, and I wasn't a big naysayer in regard to this movie. Still, it's not the slam dunk you would expect from Burton given the story. It's such a strange mixture of moods, and it's certainly not the Headless Horseman tale we're all so familiar with. But some great Expressionist cinematography keeps my eyes peeled to the screen. I hoped the Blu-ray transfer would have looked a bit better, but it still looked good.

43. All Night Long 2: Atrocity * Another one of those films that I heard was so disturbing, so I gave it a try. And that's what it did: it tried to be disturbing. It neared that at times in a Hostel kind of way. It's about how this nerd gets picked on too much and then exacts revenge. There are some slight attempts at character depth, but it's all pretty inept in this low-budget affair. But this DVD did have the trailer for Miike's Visitor Q. Hadn't seen the trailer before and it was quite good. Now THAT was a movie that I found disturbing! The trailer was better than the actual movie, though. And I would never watch that movie again, this one either for that matter.

October 13

44. Townies * Billed as a scuzzy horror film, this film is just monumentally bad and doesn't deliver at all. The horror elements were very minor, which was disappointing. Once again, this was the case of a description of a horror movie having promise but just not bringing it. This very much felt like an early John Waters film but without the wit. And as bad as the acting was in some of those early John Waters films, some of them could be Oscar winners compared to the actors in this movie. But the ending all of a sudden started getting interesting, and once I thought maybe there is going to something redeeming here ... the end credits come up. Awful.

45. Hellraiser 2 * I thought this was actually a pretty solid sequence, all things considered. It did lose me a bit toward the end, though. I partially said that because it got a little bit confusing in the end but also there were some directions the story went that just didn't feel quite right to me. But all in all, I thought this was a good followup to the first one, though certainly not quite up to that level. But it was cool to see that brief creation of Pinhead at the very beginning of the movie!

October 14

46. Hellraiser 3 I knew there was one Hellraiser movie that I had seen before, and it turns out that this one was it. These first 3 Hellraiser movies I have been watching on borrowed DVDs, from a friend of a friend actually. Anyway, I really think the DVD might have been a bootleg. We're near the border, so you can go to the flea market and buy cheap bootleg DVDs. I think this might have been one. The quality on it was terrible! Almost no menu. The picture looked muddied and not detailed, almost like it was recorded off the TV. The worst part? It was 4x3! Couldn't even give me widescreen? Oh yeah, the movie ... This was certainly a big step down from the first 2. There was a hint of a good idea hidden away in here, I think. It just didn't materialize. And after watching the first 2 films, especially the first, one is left wanting to see more action from the Cenobites or even just more of them. As it turns out, this isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact, it even gets a little silly. I know there are 8 or 9 different Hellraiser movies. I know I will at least watch one more (the next one was the last theatrical and apparently considered the final Pinhead movie), but we're getting such diminishing returns at this point that I'm unsure whether I will watch any more beyond that.

October 15

47. Hellraiser: Bloodline (IV) * So, here it is, the "conclusion" to the Hellraiser series (weird to say that when there have been about 4 or 5 movies after this one). I thought this one had potential. It told the story of the man who made the all-important box and how that box affected the generations of his family that followed. Sounds good, doesn't it? Too bad it looked so cheap and was so uninteresting. There were a couple of moments, but it all just seemed so dreadfully dull. And the ending just left one of those "that's it?" feelings. I would recommend this only to the completists out there.

48. Seed of Chucky * At least I can now say that I have finished this series. I thought this was a big step down from Bride. The young puppet really got on my nerves. Jennifer Tilly was great, especially playing her dream role: herself. But I just didn't think this meshed as well as Bride, which isn't to say that Bride was all that great.

October 16

49. Feast * Having been a big Project Greenlight fan, I can't believe I never watched this movie before. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but a lot of fun to be had. I really think this movie is as good as it is on the strength of Gulager's direction. The script had flaws, big ones. After about 30-40 minutes, I began to wonder how much story was really left to be told, but Gulager was able to bring a lot of energy to the movie.

October 17

50. Hellraiser: Hellseeker * Why can't I just stop?! I guess it's because I already had these borrowed, might as well watch them all. I held some hope for this one when I saw that the heroine from the first two films was going to be returning. Plus, it had Dean Winters, a veteran actor from many favorite TV series of mine. Needless to say, this film wasn't what I was hoping it would be. But once again, we got something that was mainly boring. Kristy was mainly marginalized, but it seems like nothing much really happened. I did appreciate the "twist" toward the end of the film. It redeemed the film a bit, but this one is still only best for the die-hard Pinhead fans.

51. Young Frankenstein A friend of mine had never seen this movie before, so I had to introduce him to it. Truly a classic comedy and my favorite Mel Brooks movie. Gene Hackman steals the movie for me every time. Check out the Polish poster for this movie.

52. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers * Another one from the Ray Harryhausen Blu-ray set I bought. I really enjoyed this one. The saucer effects held up surprisingly well, I think. The aliens did not hold up quite as well, but it's still a fun movie.

53. Hellraiser: Hellworld * I'm not sure if this was the official poster for this movie, but I thought it looked better than the one of the DVD. The movie wasn't all that great, but I thought there was a possibly clever idea buried in there. But it feels like a good idea that needed a hook, so they tacked on the Hellraiser/Pinhead elements, which was completely unnecessary, except as a selling point.

54. The Prowler Didn't realize until looking for a poster that this went by a few different titles. I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite of the '80s slashers. The killings are really vicious and the makeup work from Tom Savini was great.

October 18

55. Silent Night Deadly Night * I loved this! It's great to have a movie take the piss out of Christmas a bit. I actually felt a little sorry for the lead character. Wish a couple of other character had been killed, too.

56. Silent Hill * I realize that this isn't exactly high praise, but this might be the best video game adaptation that I've seen. It beats Super Mario Brothers by just a nose. But seriously, this wasn't half bad. It did feel a little too long, though, and there were a few moments where I felt like it seemed like too much of a video game. Scenes of exposition or flashbacks felt a lot like cut scenes from a video game. Maybe that was intentional, but I would have preferred a distance be kept from video game style, especially when it's an adaptation of one.

57. Return of the Living Dead Part 2 * The Return of the Living Dead series is pretty fun stuff. They will never topple the Romero films as my favorite zombie movies, but there is a lot of overt humor that makes the series very entertaining. And it's interesting to remember that there was some fast zombies before the recent craze.

58. The Revenge of Frankenstein * A very solid sequel to Curse. The Hammer films really do have a beautiful and distinct look to them, and I appreciate that they seem to cater to a more adult audience. Looking forward to more.

59. The Serpent and the Rainbow I hadn't watched this movie in a really long time, but here are a couple of my impressions: First, this movie desperately needs a new DVD. It's not looking too good at all. Second, while the first half or so of the movie I really, really love, I think the second half descends into a mess, like Craven just didn't know for sure how to wrap everything up. Not the first time I've felt that from a Wes Craven movie. I had the same feeling from New Nightmare.

October 19

60. The Evil Dead I hadn't watched the first one in a long time. Forgot how gory it was and how much more serious and in your face it is when compared to Evil Dead 2. Some great stuff.

61. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn I wish I knew how many times I have seen this film. It must be an exceptionally high movie. I remember renting this all the time with friends when I was in junior high through high school. Still love it today.

62. Squirm * Watch out for the worms! The movie was pretty good for what it was, but it was a pretty bad low-budget B horror movie. I thought it was interesting some the direction the casting of this film almost went: Sylvester Stallone lobbied hard for a part, Kim Basinger auditioned and Martin Sheen was at one time attached.

63. Psycho A classic. What more can you say? I introduced this to a friend of mine who had never seen a Hitchcock movie. Hard to even imagine how much this film broke the rules. And I love the marketing campaign for the movie, which included not letting anyone enter after the film had started, as you can see from this poster and this one.

October 20

64. The Brood * I'm a big Cronenberg fan but had never seen this movie. It took me a little while to get into but once I did, I just couldn't wait to see what happened next. And the last 30 minutes or so feature at least 2 moments that had me going

October 21

65. Black Sabbath * Very good anthology film. Another one from Bava and another one that surprises me that I hadn't seen. I don't know why, but part of me thinks that a couple of the shorts could have been more effective in B&W. Only other possible criticism is that there is no real connective tissue between the stories.

October 22

66. Zombie Honeymoon * Interesting, though entirely successful film. The title makes you think it might be something kinda campy and funny, but it's much more of a serious romance type of film. The zombie thing is handled more like a domestic issue, even while he's obviously rotting and eating people. I guess some zombie fanatics might at least appreciate a slightly different spin on the zombie movie.

October 23

67. Halloween (remake) * Not as bad as I thought it was going to be and perhaps Zombie's most watchable film to date. But I kept thinking that I would like the movie much better if it weren't about Michael Myers. I appreciated seeing the creation of a monster, but I would have liked for it to be a unique creation. I liked the Myers from the first movie, when you didn't fully understand his motivations, didn't know what he looked like. He was the Boogeyman. But I just felt like the mask was now off, which didn't make it as scary. Plus, it played so many of the familiar beats from the original that it took away the scare factor for me.

68. The Gore Gore Girls (audio commentary) I so wish that Parker Posey would have worked with Herschell Gordon Lewis, especially in this film. There is one key role she would have been perfect for. The audio commentary was good. Fun to hear Lewis' thoughts on the film.

October 24

69. Two Thousand Maniacs (audio commentary) Another Herschell Gordon Lewis film, another entertaining audio commentary. Lewis says this is his favorite of his gore films, and I would have to agree. A little bit of trivia: the band 10,000 Maniacs got its name from this film, though mistakenly remembered the number of maniacs. Can you really imagine Natalie Merchant watching this movie? It makes me like her even more.

October 25

70. Manos: The Hands of Fate (MST3K) * I've always heard how legendarily bad this movie was, and it sure didn't disappointment. Mesmerizingly incompetent, the MST3K gang have a blast picking this one apart.

71. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes * Another one of those classic cult films that I have never seen. While it has its moments, none of those is as good as the opening theme song. I really wasn't expecting to get so much of a musical. And while I knew this was a very cheeky movie, I didn't anticipate it being such a broad comedy. I guess I was expecting more so stone serious that it's hilarious as opposed to blatant comedy. Does that make sense?

72. The Most Dangerous Game A tight, great little film from the director of the original King Kong, which would be the director's followup and would utilize many of the same sets. I have always really liked this one. No surprise that the story has been redone several times.

73. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait This documentary that has its own DVD release is surprisingly boring. Yes, there is some good stuff, but there really is no editing. It's just talking heads, awkward pauses and all. Plus, the only participants are the members of "the family." In other words, don't expect to hear from any of the people who played the victims, not even an appearance from director Tobe Hooper. Like I said, it's not all bad, but it could have been so much better.

74. Buttcrack * I have never fully gotten into many of the Troma films. This one was helped by its short running time, but I really wasn't that good at all. Great title, though.

75. Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker * Another Troma film. This one was really difficult to watch. Don't believe the DVD cover or any posters for this film. That's not Mulva (or at least she's not on any of the posters I have seen). Mulva is really shrill, loud and annoying and not attractive at all. She is the kind of the worst of Troma characters in one package.

76. Blood Shack * I know it wasn't really supposed to be, but this one really cracked me up. I don't see why Netflix had this in their horror classics section. That really boggles the mind.

77. Graduation Day * Typical '80s slasher, strong emphasis on the '80s. Not very good, but it did make me laugh quite a few times.

78. A Nightmare on Elm Street I watched the first 30 minutes of my old DVD of this (the one from the boxset) a while back and was shocked at how poor it seemed now. So, I decided to import the Canadian Blu-ray. It really did a world of difference. Definitely the best I've ever seen this film look, or sound for that matter.

October 26

79. Vacancy * I think there was some good ideas here. In fact, it really had me interested in the beginning, but the movie ultimately doesn't bring anything new to the table. The ending really pissed me off, too.

80. Freaks Definitely a classic. It still stands as such a remarkable observation of people with sometimes extreme disabilities. Seeing how the guy without legs or arms lights a cigarette with a match is truly amazing.

81. Bluebeard * Not a bad film, but certainly a story that has been told before and better.

82. Blood Thirst * I was expecting something a little more extreme, but this total B movie I found entertaining enough. It was actually filmed pretty well and shows off the fact that it was shot in the Philippines.

83. Blood Suckers * Total Swingin' Sixties type of movie. Don't worry there is the requisite freaking out on acid scene.

84. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) Pretty effective Roger Corman retelling of a Poe story. Vincent Price is great as always, and the ending is great.

85. Werewolf (MST3K) * So bad, so very boring. Well, at least the movie is. The MST3K episode is awfully good.

86. Dexter (2 episodes) * Have to try to keep up with my regular TV watching. This challenge is killing my hard drive space. I can't believe I've gotten so far behind on this great show. It really is one of my favorites. And for those who are wondering, I actually named my dog Dexter prior to this show.

October 27

87. The Brain That Wouldn't Die (MST3K) This was a really great MST3K ep. How have I never managed to pick up any of these DVDs?

88. Night of the Blood Beast (MST3K) * Obviously I need to pick up these DVDs because I just can't stop watching these on Google Video.

89. White Zombie * Another classic that I had never seen before. My copy of this came from one of those 50 movies thing (a free gift with a magazine subscription actually). I had seen a few of the movies in this pack during this challenge and had been pleasantly surprised with the quality ... until this one. The sound was beyond awful. I really should find a better DVD.

90. The Fly (remake, with audio commentary) I really do love Cronenberg. It was really interesting to hear his thoughts about the movie. Movie looks great on Blu-ray, too.

October 28

91. Bride of the Gorilla * Pretty campy stuff. This is the story of a man who turns into ... a man in a gorilla suit.

92. Zombie Holocaust * Gonzo Italian horror film. Like the earlier bad Italian zombie film I watched, this was quiet the hoot. I like how many of the zombies only decayed on the face. The arms and torso were completely unaffected. This movie also featured perhaps the most gratuitous female nudity I have ever in a film. And that's saying something!

October 29

93. Basket Case I know I watched this a long, long time ago, but I barely remembered it. Bad but pretty entertaining.

94. The Invisible Man * Pretty remarkable how effective the effects were in this film. Many people today would probably be thrilled to get as good a results.

95. Axe * A pretty short revenge/self-defense type horror movie. It wasn't too bad, although not nearly as extreme as I thought it would be. There was one scene (the one with the tomato on the woman's head) that I thought was really well done, even if a bit obvious.

October 30

96. The Mummy (1959) * Another Hammer picture. This one didn't grab me as much as the Frankenstein films, but it was still a great watch. I will definitely be seeking out more Hammer films.

October 31

97. The Gruesome Twosome (Audio Commentary) Another Herschell Gordon Lewis film. He always provides such great information about not only the film at hand but about his entire career in general. Hearing these commentaries makes one really appreciate what he was able to do, even if those movies aren't necessarily "good."

98. Microwave Massacre * This is another one of those movie that now enters my pantheon of bad movies. I mean, this is BAD! But I could totally see myself buying it! This is one of those movies that would be great to watch with some friends. Just make sure no one is sober.

99. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown You have to be really jaded not to like this one. Really, really jaded. On a slightly unrelated note, anyone else think Charlie Brown grew up and changed his name to Charles Whitman? I swear, with all the abuse that boy takes, I really expect him at the top of a watch tower with a powerful sniper rifle.

100. Halloween (original - Japanese poster at top of post) A classic for a reason. Still effective, still great. I rearranged my entire Halloween viewing schedule just to make sure that this would be my No. 100 entry. As it is, I was so exhausted (been working so much lately) that I barely made it through. I guess Part 2 will just have to wait. As tired as I am, it really sucks that I have to work this morning. Ugh! But at least I can feel a sense of accomplishment. Can't believe I reached 100! Beats the hell out of my original goal of 31.

WILDCARDS
1. The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots
2. Le Chaudron Infernal
3. Frankenstein (1910)
4. Dexter
5. Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
6. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

-x- 1890 - The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots
-x- 1900 - Le Chaudron Infernal
-x- 1910 - Frankenstein (1910)
-x- 1920 - Nosferatu
-x- 1930 - The Most Dangerous Game
-x- 1940 - Bluebeard
-x- 1950 - Giant Gila Monster
-x- 1960 - Dementia 13
-x- 1970 - Who Can Kill a Child?
-x- 1980 - Child's Play 2
-x- 1990 - Wolf
-x- 2000 - Black Christmas

-x- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - Nosferatu
-x- G - Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
-x- PG - Prophecy
-x- PG-13 - The Gate
-x- R - Texas Chainsaw Massacre
-x- NC-17 - The Evil Dead
-x- X - Snuff
-x- Unrated (post-MPAA) - Saw IV

Watch a film starring:
-x- Bela Lugosi - White Zombie
-x- Lon Chaney Sr. - Bride of the Gorilla
-x- Boris Karloff - Black Sabbath
-x- Lon Chaney Jr. - Spider Baby
-x- Vincent Price - The Pit and the Pendulum
-x- Peter Cushing - Revenge of Frankenstein
-x- Christopher Lee - Curse of Frankenstein
-x- Robert Englund - A Nightmare on Elm Street
-x- Bruce Campbell - The Evil Dead
-x- Jamie Lee Curtis - Prom Night

-x- First language, Japanese, Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
-x- Second language, Italian, Blood and Black Lace

-x- Vampire - Nosferatu
-x- Frankenstein - Curse of Frankenstein
-x- Werewolf - Wolf
-x- Mummy - The Mummy (1959)
-x- Invisible Man - The Invisible Man
-x- Ghost/haunting - Black Sabbath
-x- Witchcraft/satanic/religious - The Serpent and the Rainbow
-x- Zombie - Dead Alive
-x- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac - My Bloody Valentine
-x- Monster/creature feature/Godzilla - Giant Gila Monster
-x- Documentary - Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait
-x- Musical - Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
-x- Spoof/comedy - Young Frankenstein
-x- Revenge - All Night Long 2: Atrocity
-x- Killer/evil doll - Child's Play
-x- Killer/evil animal - Squirm
-x- Killer/evil child - Who Can Kill a Child?
-x- Giallo - Blood and Black Lace
-x- J horror - Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
-x- MST3K/rifftrax/CT - Manos: The Hands of Fate
-x- film and its remake - Halloween
-x- based on a video game - Silent Hill
-x- based on a novel - Serpent and the Rainbow
-x- directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis - Blood Feast
-x- won an Academy Award - Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
-x- silent film - Nosferatu
-x- Criterion version film - The Most Dangerous Game
-x- with commentary - The Gore Gore Girls
-x- film and at least two of its sequels - Child's Play 1-5, Hellraiser 1-4
-x- anthology film - Black Sabbath
-x- takes place on a holiday - Black Christmas
-x- takes place in space - Hellraiser: Bloodline
-x- takes place on or under the sea - It Came From Beneath the Sea
-x- animated film - Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
-x- called "Night of the ..." - Night of the Living Dead
-x- called "Return of the ..." - Return of the Living Dead Part 2
-x- called "Revenge of the ..." - The Revenge of Frankenstein
-x- called "Attack of the ..." - Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
-x- with the words "Living Dead" in the title - Night of the Living Dead

(One film could fill multiple items. Example: Dracula would fill one for decade, rating, actor, vampire, based on novel, and maybe others as well.)
(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)
(First one to fill in all the blanks wins a random DVD from Trevor.)

Last edited by clckworang; 10-04-09 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Someone can have my spot.....I'm not gonna be able to compete this year.

Last edited by Quack; 10-05-08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 09:28 AM

October 1st
1. Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
___Figured I'd start off with something light to break my fiancee in.
2. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
___I always start the Halloween season off with this since it was the only movie that scared me as a kid. Not so much the clowns, but the cotton candy cocoons.
October 2nd
3. The Frighteners
___My second favorite Peter Jackson movie.
October 3rd
4. Session 9
___Severely underrated movie, in my opinion. Maybe not by the users of this forum, though.
5. The Game
___Saw this in the theater on my 16th birthday. Just as good 11 years later.
October 4th
6. The Wishmaster
___God, this movie is horrible. But, I still love it.
7. The Wishmaster 2
___See Wishmaster 1 comment.
8. The Wishmaster 3
___Quality dips with this one. But I STILL love it.
9. The Wishmaster 4
___Really glad they stopped here.
October 5th
10. 28 Days Later
___Zombies are by far my favorite genre. And, this is a stand out film.
11. 28 Weeks Later
___Almost as good as the first one. The only thing I hated, was the dad showing up everywhere.
12. Teen Wolf
___Can't go wrong with a little Michael J Fox.
13. Teen Wolf Too
___Not as good as the first, but it has it's moments. Never was a fan of Jason Bateman, but then I watched "Arrested Development".
October 6th
14. Ghostbusters
___I shouldn't have to say anything about this one.
15. Ghostbusters 2
___Or this one, for that matter.
October 7th
16. Underworld
___Not my favorite vampire movie, but not bad either.
17. Underworld: Evolution
___Not as good as the first.
October 8th
18. Maximum Overdrive
___Gotta love Hendershot, bubba.
19. Needful Things
___One of the few good King movie adaptations (my opinion of course).
October 9th
20. Edward Scissorhands
___As much as I like this movie, I wish Depp and Burton had never gotten together.
21. Sleepy Hollow
___It just seems like Burton can't do anything without him anymore.
October 10th
22. Evil Dead
___Believe it or not, this was my first time watching this. Not bad.
23. Evil Dead 2
___I had always heard this was a remake of the first. Whoever told me that was stupid.
24. Army of Darkness
___I had seen this before. It's still my favorite.
October 11th
25. Bubba Ho-Tep
___Not bad, but I'm really looking forward to "My Name Is Bruce".
26. Shaun of the Dead
___Love love love this movie.
27. Night of the Living Dead (1990 Remake)
___WHAT!!?? Don't judge me! I prefer movies in color!
28. Dawn of the Dead (2004 Remake)
___Everything but the zombie baby is awesome.
October 12th
29. Day of the Dead
___Okay this one's the original because I heard the remake was horrible.
30. Land of the Dead
___Huh? Zombies with guns. Whoodathunkit?
31. Diary of the Dead
___Ignore the social commentary, and you've got a decent zombie flick.
32. Return of the Living Dead
___The only one of the Return movies I like. Just something about split dog.
October 13th
33. Near Dark
___One of the best vampire movies there is. Period.
34. Bram Stoker's Dracula
___I hadn't seen this since it came out.
35. The Blair Witch Project
___Say what you want, but this was an awesome original concept when it came out.
36. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
___And then someone took that concept and ran it through the hollywood bullshit machine.
October 14th
37. Critters
___Used to love this when I was a kid.
38. Critters 2
___Gotta love aliens that morph into Playboy centerfolds.
October 15th
39. Critters 3
___Hey, it's Leo.
40. Critters 4
___Why does every franchise have to go into space? Granted, it fits with this series.

October 16th
41. Troll
___Oh, piece of crap. Why do I love you so?
42. Troll 2
___Just a good old fashioned time down in Nilbog.
October 17th
43. House of 1000 Corpses
___This is my third time watching this, and I still can't get into it.
44. The Devil's Rejects
___This, on the other hand, surprised me. The documentary's good, too.
45. From Dusk 'Til Dawn
___The movie that made me respect George Clooney.
46. Se7en
___The movie that made me respect Brad Pitt.
October 18th
47. Saw
___I really love this series.
48. Saw 2
___People complain that it's getting old.
49. Saw 3
___I don't know what they're expecting to happen.
50. Saw 4
___I mean, it's Saw. They're not going for Oscar gold.
October 19th
51. A Nightmare on Elm Street
___This series holds a special place in my black heart.
52. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
___My least favorite.
53. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
___My favorite. Really creepy deaths (e.g. the marionette). And, Nancy comes back.
54. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
___One of the best deaths in the series. Gotta love the Roach Motel.
October 20th
55. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
___A lot of people think this is the weakest. I like it for the little bit of origin story you get.
56. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
___Great kills, and even more origin story.
57. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
___I really expected this to suck when it came out. But, I was pleasantly surprised.
58. Freddy vs Jason
___Obviously made as a fan service.
October 21st
59. Planet Terror
___This and the trailers really made Grindhouse. I can't believe they followed this with Death Proof, though.
60. The Irrefutable Truth About Demons
___Seek this out if you haven't seen it. In the US it's retitled "The Truth About Demons". I guess they think we don't know what "irrefutable' means.

Unfortunately, this is where it ends. First I got the flu, and then Fallout 3 came out. So, i've either been in bed or glued to my computer for awhile now. I don't feel bad about it, though. I got through more than I thought I would. Also, I did the math, and I wouldn't have made it to 100 anyway. Oh well. There's always next year.

Last edited by pyro808; 11-01-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10/1

Race with The Devil

10/3

Jaws

10/4

Jaws 2

10/5

Trilogy of Terror

10/8

Child's Play

Five Across the Eyes

10/10

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

God Told Me To

10/19

Alien

Aliens

10/21

Identity

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 10-21-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last year's list

10/1
1. Nosferatu

10/3
2. Zombie

10/4
3. Trauma
4. Diary of the Dead

10/5
5. The Invisible Man Returns
6. Curdled

10/6
7. The Mummy's Ghost

10/7
8. Suspiria

10/11
9. Carrie
10. Fall of the House of Usher

10/12
11. Do You Like Hitchcock?

10/13
12. From Dusk Till Dawn

10/14
13. House of 1000 Corpses

10/16
14. Sleepy Hollow

10/17
15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

10/21
16. Friday the 13th

10/25
17. Friday the 13th Part 2
18. Friday the 13th Part 3

10/26
19. The Shining

10/27
20. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

10/30
21. Dawn of the Dead

10/31
22. The Thing
23. It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
24. Halloween

Last edited by Drop; 11-01-08 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 03:56 PM

(promise to update with short reviews. I'm posting this list in a hurry)

October 1st
1. The Evil Dead
2. The Evil Dead II
3. Army of Darkness
4. Bubba Ho-Tep
5. Maniac Cop
6. Within the Woods (wildcard)

October 2nd
7. The Thing
8. In the Mouth of Madness
9. Prince of Darkness
10. The Fog

October 3rd
11. Scream
12. Scarecrows

October 4th
13. Dead Alive
14. Return of the Living Dead
15. Night of the Creeps
16. Slither
17. Feast

Last edited by Belial; 10-04-08 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reserved - Goal 31

OCTOBER 1st
1. Nosferatu - This was a first time viewing for me and I thoroughly enjoyed so many aspects of this so-called classic, from the mood and the pacing, to the eery directing. This is one that found its way into my collection, more than likely by way of the spouse. I'd rate it . More comments may be added to the Trevor thread.
2. Bram Stoker's Dracula - The more that I view this one, the more I find Keanu less distracting. Seriously, one of my favorite sort of 'horror' movies. I'd rate it
3. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - What would a challenge be without Charlie Brown? On permanent rotation in the Oppo player with a standing .
4. Silence of the Lambs - Brilliant in every way! I saw this back in 1991 on a college break and remember how 'afraid' I was as I walked to my car after a late show & alone after midnight. A glass of chianti always makes me pause to this day. Hopkins will forever be Hannibal Lecter to me.
5. Child's Play - Memories....I had fond memories of this as it was the first so-called horror movie that I saw in the theatres (and without adult permission ) and it held up much better than I expected. I bought it for sentimental reasons and thoroughly enjoyed it in all its cheesiness.

OCTOBER 2nd
6. John Carpenter's The Thing This may be my all-time favorite horror movie. I still can't watch it alone.

OCTOBER 3rd
7. 28 Days Later Danny Boyle's zombie flick surprised me the first time around and it's scarier the 4th time around. The ending didn't quite do it for me, but still very enjoyable.
8. 28 Weeks Later This was more vicious and much faster paced - so fast that it was almost too intense to keep up with the visuals, the music and the violence.

OCTOBER 4th
9. The Shining Brilliant. I didn't have this on my original list to watch, but saw it sitting on my BD shelf waiting for a visit with the PS3. Every time that I revisit a Kubrick film, I leave with a better appreciation of his work.

OCTOBER 5th
10. Christine There's something to be said about cheesy 70's & 80's horror, it's almost laughable. Nonetheless, I love this movie. Keith Gordon playing a nice guy gone bad.
11. Carrie This one is still creepy. I was watching Sissy Spacek recently in 'In the Bedroom' and kept thinking that I must watch Carrie.

OCTOBER 6th
12. Alien I've had heated arguments with my hubby on why Alien is the superior movie and have decided that if I'm the only one that holds that opinion in my household, so be it. This never gets old and is fresh each time that I watch it. I'm not sure whether to classify this as Sci-Fi or horror, so I'll use a wild card.
13. Resident Evil Milla Jovovich kicks some serious monster *R&%. This is one of my favorite popcorn flicks.

OCTOBER 7th
14. Nightmare on Elm Street Pure cheese. I remember this being so scary back in high school, no more.
15. Donnie Darko I'm not sure if this is a horror, but I'll count it as a wild card.

*** Back after indulging in an art-house (and non-horror) marathon over the last week ***

OCTOBER 17th
16. Poltergeist I couldn't recall most of the content of this one and it was much scarier & had more gore than I was anticipating. After my stomach settled, I thought it was enjoyable.
17. Children of the Corn This was campier than I recalled, but scary enough to make me jump a few times during the flick.

OCTOBER 18th
18. Blade This was like revisiting a good popcorn flick that I'd long forgotten. The only Snipes movie that I've ever enjoyed.
19. Cujo That was one bad*ss pooch, pure camp and I ate it up.

OCTOBER 19th
20. American Werewolf in London This seemed like a first time viewing for me as I didn't recall much of this movie and it was excellent in every way (OK, I didn't care for the gruesome morphing, but that added to the experience).
21. The Fly I felt sorry for him after the brilliance of his invention was interrupted by a common fly. Masterful.

OCTOBER 20th
22. The Mist I gave up reading Stephen King short stories after reading this story many years ago. The B/W version was chilling....I'll not revisit this anytime soon. It was much better than I was anticipating, so a pleasant surprise.
23. The Lost Boys Vampires=Horror movie by my definition. Good, cheesy '80s flick. It was fun.

OCTOBER 24th
24. The Host - This was seriously campy and hilarious. I found this exceedingly funny and I'm quite sure that wasn't the intention.
25. Scream - One of my favorites, it falls into the category of 'I'm not sure it's a horror movie'.

OCTOBER 31st
26. Halloween - I had to save the only 'scary' horror that I viewed in this challenge for Halloween. This movie still delivers, it still chills me, puts me on the edge of my seat and will always be a true classic.

Verdict: I'm a horror lightweight, but this challenge was fun!

Last edited by Sparrow; 11-01-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 October Horror Movie Challenge:

TOTAL LAST YEAR: 21
GOAL THIS YEAR: 31

* = First Time Viewing
* = Wildcard

October 1:
1. *Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (Jorge Grau, 1974) C+ *
October 3:
2. *The Disappeared (Johnny Kevorkian, 2008) B *
October 4:
3. *Let's Scare Jessica to Death (John D. Hancock, 1971) B*
4. *Bloodrayne (Uwe Boll, 2006) F *
October 6:
5. *The Body Snatcher (Robert Wise, 1945) B *
6. *Suspiria: 25th Anniversary Documentary (2001) *
October 7:
7. Black Sheep (Jonathan King, 2007) B+
October 9:
8. *Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau, 1922) B+ *
October 11:
9. Scream (Wes Craven, 1996) A
October 12:
10. *Acolytes (Jon Hewitt, 2008) C *
11. *The Happening (M. Night Shyamalan, 2008) F *
October 13:
12. *Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye (Antonio Margheriti, 1973) B *
October 14:
13. *The Dick van Dyke Show - "Ghost of A. Chantz" (1964) *
October 15:
14. *Dead in Three Days 2 (Andreas Prochaska, 2008) D- *
15. *Splinter (Toby Wilkins, 2008) B+ *
October 16:
16. *Seventh Moon (Eduardo Sanchez, 2008) C *
17. *The Collective (Judson Pearce Morgan & Kelly Overton, 2008) F *
18. The Wolf Man (George Waggner, 1941) B
October 17:
19. *Descendants (Jorge Olguin, 2008) C- *
20. *Pathology (Mark Schoelermann, 2008) C *
October 18:
21. Scream 2 (Wes Craven, 1997) B+
October 18:
22. Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1974) A-
October 21:
23. Hold That Ghost (Arthur Lubin, 1941) A
24. *2008 Scream Awards (2008) *
October 22:
25. *Mother of Tears (Dario Argento, 2008) C *
October 26:
26. Identity (James Mangold, 2003) B+
October 27:
27. Saw (James Wan, 2004) B+
October 28:
28. *The Strangers (Brian Bertino, 2008) B *
October 29:
29. Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978) A
30. *Diary of the Dead (George A. Romero, 2007) C- *
October 30:
31. *Zombie Strippers (Jay Lee, 2008) C- *
32. *Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (Sergio Martino, 1972) *

Last edited by Ghostface180; 11-05-08 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Goal: 50

October 1st
1. Suspiria (1977) -- 10/10
2. Cannibal Ferox (1981) -- 7.5/10*
3. The Howling (1981) -- 8/10*
October 2nd
4. 28 Days Later (2002) -- 9.5/10
5. MST3K: Boggy Creek II (1985) -- 9/10 -- 2/10*
October 3rd
6. 28 Weeks Later (2007) -- 8.5/10
7. Horror of Dracula (1958) -- 8/10 *
October 5th
8. Seven Blood Stained Orchids (1972) -- 8/10*
October 6th
9. Midnight Meat Train (2008) -- 8/10*
10. Black Sheep (2006) -- 9.5/10
11. Dead Silence (2007) -- 6.5/10*
October 7th
12. The Descent (2005) -- 9/10*
October 8th
13. Wolf Creek (2005) -- 8/10*
14. Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I Have The Key (1972) -- 7.5/10*
October 9th
15. [REC] (2007) -- 9.5/10
October 10th
16. Quarantine (2008) -- 7/10*
17. Neon Maniacs (1986) -- 5.5/10
October 12th
18. The Cottage (2008) -- 7/10*
October 14th
19. Habitat (1997) -- 6.5/10*
20. Bride of Re-Animator (1990) -- 7.5/10*
October 17th
21. Halloween (1978) -- 9.5/10
22. Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005) -- 3/10
23. Halloween II (1981) -- 7.5/10*
October 18th
24. Ringu (1998) -- 9/10*
October 20th
25. Saw II (2005) -- 5.5/10*
26. Saw III (2006) -- 4.5/10*
27. Saw IV (2007) -- 3/10*
October 21st
28. Bay of Blood (1971) -- 10/10
29. 5 Dolls For An August Moon (1970) -- 8/10*
October 22nd
30. Baron Blood (1972) -- 8/10*
October 23rd
31. The Last Broadcast (1998) -- 7.5/10*
32. To Let (2006) -- 9/10*
October 24th
33. Saw V (2008) -- 2/10*
October 27th
34. Sleepaway Camp (1983) -- 8/10*
October 29th
35. Opera (1987) -- 9/10*
October 30th
36. Night of the Living Dead (1968) -- 10/10
October 31st
37. Dawn of the Dead (1978) -- 10/10
38. Poultry in Motion: Truth Is Stranger Than Chicken (2008) -- 9.5/10*
39. The Shining (1980) -- 10/10

* = First Time Viewing

Checklist:
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
-X- 1950 - Horror of Dracula
-X- 1960 - Night of the Living Dead
-X- 1970 - Suspiria
-X- 1980 - Cannibal Ferox
-X- 1990 - Bride of Re-Animator
-X- 2000 - 28 Days Later

-X- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - Horror of Dracula
--- G -
-X- PG - Boggy Creek II
--- PG-13 -
-X- R - The Howling
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
-X- Unrated (post-MPAA) - Cannibal Ferox

Watch a film starring:
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Lon Chaney Sr. -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Lon Chaney Jr. -
--- Vincent Price -
-X- Peter Cushing - Horror of Dracula
-X- Christopher Lee - Horror of Dracula
--- Robert Englund -
--- Bruce Campbell -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -

-X- First language, (Italian), (Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I Have The Key).
-X- Second language, (Spanish), ([REC]).

-X- Vampire -Horror of Dracula
--- Frankenstein -
-X- Werewolf - The Howling
--- Mummy -
--- Invisible Man -
--- Ghost/haunting -
-X- Witchcraft/satanic/religious - Suspiria
-X- Zombie - Bride of Re-Animator
-X- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac - Wolf Creek
-X- Monster/creature feature/Godzilla - The Descent
-X- Documentary - Poultry in Motion: Truth Is Stranger Than Chicken
--- Musical -
-X- Spoof/comedy - Black Sheep
-X- Revenge - Dead Silence
-X- Killer/evil doll - Dead Silence
-X- Killer/evil animal - Black Sheep
--- Killer/evil child -
-X- Giallo - Seven Blood Stained Orchids
-X- J horror - Ringu
-X- MST3K/rifftrax/CT - Boggy Creek II
-X- film and its remake - [REC], Quarantine
--- based on a video game -
-X- based on a novel - Horror of Dracula
--- directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis or Uwe Boll or Ulli Lommel -
--- won an Academy Award -- any category -
--- silent film -
--- Criterion version film -
--- with commentary -
--- film and at least two of its sequels -
--- anthology film -
--- takes place on a holiday -
--- takes place in space -
--- takes place on or under the sea -
--- animated film -
-X- called "Night of the ..." - Night of the Living Dead (1968)
-X- called "Return of the ..." - Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis
--- called "Revenge of the ..." -
--- called "Attack of the ..." -
-X- with the words "Living Dead" in the title -Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis

Last edited by alfonsosoriano; 11-01-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 06:36 PM

10/1:
1. Night Of The Living Dead (1990)
2. Lake Placid
3. Maniac

10/2:
4. Children Of The Corn
5. Prom Night (2008)
6. Slumber Party Massacre

10/3:
7. Friday The 13th
8. Friday The 13th II

10/4:
9. Friday The 13th III
10/11:
10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
11. Rest Stop II

10/17:
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
10/18:
13. Saw IV
14. Midnight Meat Train
15. Quarantine
16. Cujo

10/19:
17. High Tension
18. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Last edited by naughty; 10-20-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 06:42 PM

Final Total: 63. Goal was 50.

Over 40 of the movies I saw were first-time views.

My TOP-TEN first-time watched movies (in no particular order):
1. Return of the Living Dead - BRAINS!!!! I loved this movie. Funny and gory. This is one of my new favorites of the genre.
2. Horror of Dracula - Fantastic Hammer film. It's nice to see a Dracula that's more charming and human than in other versions of Dracula. Peter Cushing was great as Van Helsing.
3. Dead of Night - One of the best anthology horror films I've seen.
4. Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht (german version) - I really like the original (silent) version of Nosferatu. This is a terrific retelling of it, though I didn't really care for the actor playing Nosferatu, I still thoroughly enjoyed this film.
5. The Wicker Man (original) - Excellent movie with a twist ending.
6. The Hills Have Eyes (remake) - A very good remake with some really scary characters. This one surprised me a bit.
7. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers - More sci-fi than horror, the special effects by Ray Harryhausen were fantastic. This movie also had a very good story, and good acting.
8. Hunchback of Notre Dame (silent) - Lon Chaney is terrific in this classic movie. Maybe the best version of the story put on film.
9. Rocky Horror Picture Show - This one warmed up to me while watching it. A funny and bizarre movie that's just plain fun, good music too.
10. Vacancy - This one surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but I enjoyed this film, even with it's psycho-like premise.

Oct. 1
01. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
02. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla (2002)*
03. Cujo (1983)
04. Wasp Woman (1959)*
Oct.2
05. A Bucket of Blood (1959)*
06. Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Oct.3
07. Phantasm (1971)*
08. The Screaming Skull (1958)*
09. I Walked with a Zombie (1943)*
10. Phantom of the Opera (1943)*
Oct.4
11. The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)*
Oct.5
12. Horror Hotel (1960)*
Oct.6
13. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)*
14. Bug (2006)*
Oct.7
15. Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)*
16. Revenge of the Creature (1955)
17. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Oct.8
18. Amityville II: The Possession (1982)
19. Tormented (1960)*
20. Masque of the Red Death (1964)*
Oct.9
21. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)*
22. The Last Woman on Earth (1960)*
23. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
24. The Amazing Transparent Man (1960)*
Oct.10
25. Suspiria (1977)
26. Devil's Backbone (2001)*
27. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Oct.12
28. The Devil's Hand (1961)*
29. Frankenstein (1931)
Oct.13
30. The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944)
31. Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht (1979)*
Oct.14
32. Hour of the Wolf (1968)*
Oct.15
33. Vampyr (1931)*
34. The Wicker Man (1973)*
35. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)*
Oct.16
36. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 (1988)*
Oct.17
37. Land of the Dead (2005)*
38. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)*
Oct.18
39. Berserk (1967)*
Oct.20
40. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)*
41. Demons (1985)*
Oct.21
42. Vacancy (2007)*
43. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)*
44. Godzilla 1985 (1985)
45. Dawn of the Dead (2004)*
Oct.22
46. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
47. Leprechaun (1992)
Oct.23
48. Ju-on (2004)
49. Konga (1961)
50. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (1987)*
Oct.24
51. The Beast Within (1982)*
52. Halloween 4 (1988)
Oct.28
53. Pet Sematary (1989)
54. House on Haunted Hill (1999)*
Oct.29
55. Return of the Living Dead (1985)*
Oct.30
56. Dead of Night (1945)*
57. Torture Garden (1968)*
Oct.31
58. Twice-Told Tales (1963)*
59. The Fly (1958)
60. House of Dracula (1945)
61. House of Frankenstein (1945)
62. Horror of Dracula (1958)*
63. The Body Snatcher (1945)*

Wild Card
1. Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror episodes
2. Universal Horror Documentary*

* - First time watching

CHECKLIST
--- 1890 - (insert film title here)
--- 1900 -
-X- 1910 - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
-X- 1920 - Hunchback of Notre Dame
-X- 1930 - Frankenstein
-X- 1940 - I Walked with a Zombie
-X- 1950 - Wasp Woman
-X- 1960 - The Girl Who Knew Too Much
-X- 1970 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre
-X- 1980 - Cujo
-X- 1990 - Silence of the Lambs
-X- 2000 - Godzilla against Mechagodzilla

-X- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - Hunchback of Notre Dame
--- G -
-X- PG - Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht
--- PG-13 -
-X- R - Texas Chainsaw Massacre
--- NC-17 -
--- X (not porn; several horror films were rated X) -
--- Unrated (post-MPAA) -

Watch a film starring:
-X- Bela Lugosi - The Body Snatcher
-X- Lon Chaney Sr. - Hunchback of Notre Dame
-X- Boris Karloff - Frankenstein
-X- Lon Chaney Jr. - House of Dracula
-X- Vincent Price - Abominable Dr. Phibes
-X- Peter Cushing - The Curse of Frankenstein
-X- Christopher Lee - Horror Hotel
-X- Robert Englund - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
--- Bruce Campbell -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -

-X- First language, Japanese, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.
-X- Second language, Italian, The Girl Who Knew Too Much.
-X- Third language, Spanish, Devil's Backbone.
-X- Forth language, German, Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht.
-X- Fifth language, Swedish, Hour of the Wolf.

-X- Vampire - Nosferatu: Phantom Der Nacht
-X- Frankenstein - Frankenstein
-X- Werewolf - House of Dracula
--- Mummy -
-X- Invisible Man - Amazing Transparent Man
-X- Ghost/haunting - Screaming Skull
-X- Witchcraft/satanic/religious - Horror Hotel
-X- Zombie - I Walked with a Zombie
-X- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac - Texas Chainsaw Massacre
-X- Monster/creature feature/Godzilla - Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
-X- Documentary - Universal Horror
-X- Musical - Rocky Horror Picture Show
-X- Spoof/comedy - Rocky Horror Picture Show
-X- Revenge - Abominable Dr. Phibes
--- Killer/evil doll -
-X- Killer/evil animal - Cujo
-X- Killer/evil child - Pet Sematary
-X- Giallo - The Girl Who Knew Too Much
-X- J horror - Ju-on
--- MST3K/rifftrax/CT -
-X- film and its remake - Dawn of the Dead
-X- based on a novel - Cujo
-X- won an Academy Award -- any category - Silence of the Lambs
-X- silent film - Hunchback of Notre Dame
--- with commentary -
--- film and at least two of its sequels -
-X- anthology film - Dead of Night
-X- takes place on a holiday - Halloween 4
--- takes place in space -
--- takes place on or under the sea -
--- animated film -
--- called "Night of the ..." -
-X- called "Return of the ..." - Return of the Living Dead
-X- called "Revenge of the ..." - Revenge of the Creature
-X- with the words "Living Dead" in the title - Return of the Living Dead

2007 "Horror Movie Challenge List"

Last edited by toldawg128; 11-01-08 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Caligula's 2008 Horror Challenge List

October 1:
1: 12:00a Ilsa She Wolf of the SS. The original. Surprisingly watchable if you actually watch it.
2: 2:00a Ilsa Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks. More of the same. Never boring.
3: 4:00a Ilsa (Wanda) The Wicked Warden. Technically unrelated, but it might as well be Ilsa. Women in Prison genre with torture. Some cute chicks.
4: 7:30a Nosferatu (1922). The new Kino special edition DVD looks incredible. Projected at camera speed, it seems creepier.

October 2:
5: 12:20a The Black Cauldron. Technically fantasy, but it's got quite a bit of Horror in it as the scariest canon Disney movie ever made. The Horned King reanimating dead soldiers is quite impressive. A friend of mine saw it in the theater and said when the Horned King appeared all the little kids started whimpering. That's good enough for me.
6: 3:00a He Knows You're Alone. Psycho kills people getting married or close to those who are. Not particularly scary. Fairly mundane, actually. At least you get to know the characters before they are offed.
Spoiler:
I wish something more would have happened before the last 20 minutes, though.

7: 8:30a The Brute Man. Oh, ugh. Just ugh. What a piece of shit. Just popped it in because it was short and I was sleepy

October 3:
8: 12:30a My Bloody Valentine. Ok, this one is better. We get to know the characters, and stuff actually happens all the way through. Some effective atmosphere, for an 80s slasher. Pleasantly surprised by the villain.
9: 12:00p Prophecy. MANBEARPIG!! Run for your lives! I'm super cereal! Fun throwback. Hadn't seen this since I was a kid. Gave me nightmares back then. Don't think so now.
10: 3:00p The Prophecy. "If you're and Angel from 'Heaven' why do you sound like you're from Brooklyn?"
11: 8:00p Ghostbusters. High Def. You know how some films are funny no matter how many times you've seen them, or a film you loved when it first came out and didn't see again till 24 years later is still funny? Well, this isn't one. Sigourney Weaver was hot, though.
12: 10:00p Suspiria The more I watch it, the more it makes sense. Is that wrong?

October 4:
13: WILD CARD #1 One hour with Lamberto Bava and Coralina Cataldi-Tassoni discussing his and his father Mario's films, and her films and 1:30 with grindhouse historian, 42nd Street Pete, and his panel of Grindhouse and Drive-In movie experts including David Friedman, Jeff Lieberman, and David Hewitt, for a panel on the glory days of Grindhouse and Drive-In movies. Taped them myself so it's on an actual media.

October 5:
14: 1:45a Squirm. Love this flick. Had to pop it in after seeing Jeff Lieberman. One day, I WILL be the worm face.
15: 1:00p Horror of Dracula. Classic.
16: 3:00p Little Shop of Horrors (1986) One of my all-time favorites. When it hit the single screen theater in my little town when I was in High School, I saw it 7 straight days. I've seen 4 different live productions.
17: 5:00p Diary of the Dead. Not bad little flick. A bit heavy handed and some messages were repeated to no good effect, but the overall thesis about how a world in which everything is recorded and shared on Youtube would react to a Dawn of the Dead scenario.

October 6:
18: 2:30a Final Exam.
Spoiler:
I liked how it started off. I like how they foreshadowed the random nature of the killings by invoking Charles Whitman and then the "terrorist attack". Then there's an hour where nothing happens before we are introduced to the killings. Just some boring hazing crap. Not the worst slasher, but not the best, either.

19: 7:15a Shivers (They Came From Within). Don't know why I never got around to seeing this.
20: 7:00p Nothing But Night. Murder mystery with Chris Lee and Peter Cushing. Chris Lee's attempt at a "serious Horror film". A bit dull, but it did have kind of a cool ending.

October 7:
21: 1:15a The House on Sorority Row Wow. I'm not the biggest fan of the slasher genre, but I decided to hit several this time. This was one of the best yet. Very 70s/80s, but I was intrigued by the story. Not simply random co-eds getting slashed up at random. The girls are culpable and it's actually a bit suspenseful. Is this a great movie? No, but it's a great slasher.

October 8:
22: 9:00a The Raven (1935). One of the better Lugosi/Karloff efforts. Pretty subversive with the torture stuff.
23: 4:00p Inseminoid AKA Horror Planet. POS.
24: 6:00p Homebodies. (1974) What a great film. Pretty obsure, never released on DVD. City tries to evict some elderly tenants so they can build high-rises. The old people don't want to leave and are willing to murder to do it.

October 9:
25: 4:30p Multiple Maniacs. John Waters' masterpiece of Horror. If you can sleep after this, you are already dead. Just kidding. I love John Waters, but this is a POS. It's got a charm and the weirdest rape scene in cinema history. The only film where Divine and Mink are on the same side.

October 10:
26: 12:30a The Dorm that Dripped Blood. POS. Kind of a cool ending, but I didn't care by that point.
27: 2:30a Return to Sleepaway Camp. Angela's pretty hot, actually.
28: 3:55a Return to Horror High. Meh.
29: 5:40a Pieces.
30: 11:30p Ilsa Tigress of Siberia

October 11:
31: 2:00p The Burning. Not bad little camp slasher. Better than it probably deserved to be.
32: 5:00p Dawn of the Dead
33: 7:30p Day of the Dead

October 12:
34: 12:30p Land of the Dead.
Where's my Night of the Living Dead Blu-Ray?
Not counted, but you need to see this: Religulous

October 13:
35: 1:00a Don't Look in the Basement! Not bad low budget psychological horror. You'll guess the twist early on, but it's still better than expected thanks to the surprisingly good acting. Was originally on a double bill with Last House on the Left.
36: 4:00a Dr. Wong's Virtual Hell. Jess Franco's lost masterwork. Nah, just kidding. Probably the worst "film" I've had the displeasure to force myself to watch because I wasn't smart enough to shut it off before I wasted too much time with it. it's basically little more than one of those old Playboy playmate videos, where they just kind of pose in fantasy settings to music. IMDB assures me that it is Horror. Oh god, the Horror...the horror...
37: 8:00a Frontière(s)

October 14:
38: 9:30p Dracula (1931)
39: 10:45p Frankenstein (1931)

October 15:
40: 12:00a Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
41: 2:00a Werewolf of London (1935)
42: 3:20a Dracula's Daughter (1936)
43: 4:30a Son of Frankenstein (1939)

October 16:
44: 12:30a The Mummy (1932)
45: 1:45a The Mummy's Hand (1940)
46: 3:15a The Wolf Man (1940)
47: 4:30a Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
48: 5:40a The Mummy's Tomb (1942)

October 17:
49: 12:00a Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
50: 1:15a Son of Dracula (1943)
51: 2:40a House of Frankenstein (1944)
53: 3:54a The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
54: 5:00a House of Dracula (1945)
55: 8:00a Wild Card #2 Carrie the Musical. Yes, THAT Carrie the Musical. Actually, it wasn't that bad. Cheesy 80s music and costumes, but I like cheesy 80s music. The story is straight forward recreation of the movie told almost entirely through song. Betty Buckley wasn't as creepy as Piper Laurie but her voice is always good. The actress who played Carrie was good, also, with a pleasant voice. My copy was from a 20 year old VHS so the picture was blurry, but watchable. The sound was kind of bad, but I found the lyrics online and was able to follow along.
56: 1:00p Return of the Living Dead 3 uncut
57: 5:00p John Carpenter's The Thing Always liked this one. Neat seeing it in HD.

October 18:
58: 7:00a The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. Great flick. Jodie Foster had a heck of a year in 1976.
59: 8:55a Wicked Wicked. Bizarre slasher filmed in DuoVision Split screen. Odd technique sometimes works, sometimes is a distraction. Worth a checking out once, though.
60: 10:35a Alice Sweet Alice.
61: 12:20p The Bride. High Def.
62: 8:00p Young Frankenstein.
63: 10:00p The Tripper. High Def.

October 19:
64: 3:00p Fall of the House of Usher.

October 20:
65: 4:00p Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Spencer Tracy)

October 21:
66: 8:00a The Burning Hell. Religious scare flick trotted around churches in the 70s to scare people away from Hell.
67: 3:30p Rituals. Canadian "Deliverance-esque" slasher. Not too bad.
68: 5:30p All The Boys Love Mandy Lane Meh. It really is OC slasher.
69: 8:30p The Happening. Kind of interesting until it got preachy.
70: 10:30p The Howling. High Def. on FearNet

October 22:
71: 9:00a Hard Candy. High Def.
72: 11:00a Right At Your Door. High Def.
73: 5:00p Chopping Mall.
74: 6:20p Bride of the Monster.

October 23:
75: 4:00p Island of Lost Souls.

October 25: HORROR MARATHON
76: Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.
77: [*REC].
78: The Ruins.
79: Wild Card #3: 4 hours of various trailers and short films including Forklift Driver Klaus, Elevated, Daughter, Bagman: Profession-Murderer, Superjail: Cold Blooded, A Day with the Boys, Crack Dog, and as part of a running joke All Women Have Periods

October 26:
80: The Mist.
81: The Tale of Sweeney Todd (1998).

October 27:
82: Dans Ma Peau.(In My Skin) Chick cuts herself. Very disturbing.
83: Diary of a Madman.

October 28:
84: 12:00a The Mummy's Curse.
85: 1:15a She Wolf of London.
86: The Cabinet of Dr Caligari.
87: Genuine.
88: Don't Go in the House.

October 29:
89: The Prowler.
90: Eyes of a Stranger
91: Dr. Butcher MD (Zombie Holocaust)
92: The Video Dead

October 30:
93: Nightmare City.
94: Parasite.
95: Beyond the Door.
96: The Strangers.

October 31:
97: The Deadly Mantis.
98: Exorcist 2:The Heretic
99: SAW
100: SAW 2
101: SAW 3
102: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
103: Halloween.
104: Spider Baby. YAY! Beat last year's total!
105: Bram Stoker's Dracula
106: The Innocents

First time viewing Blu-ray (Some films, I might have seen as a child, but no longer remember them)

I didn't even look at the Bingo list until October 29th and just checked to see how I did while making no effort towards it whatsoever. Not too bad.
Spoiler:

--- 1890 – Execution of Mary Queen of Scots
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 – Cabinet of Dr Caligari
--- 1920 - Nosferatu
--- 1930 - Frankenstein
--- 1940 - The Wolfman
--- 1950 - Creature From the Black Lagoon
--- 1960 - Diary of a Madman
--- 1970 - Don't Look in the Basement
--- 1980 - JC's The Thing
--- 1990 - Return of the Living Dead 3
--- 2000 - The Ruins

--- Unrated Frankenstein
--- G -
--- PG - Ghostbusters
--- PG-13 - Little Shop of Horrors
--- R - John Carpenter's The Thing
--- NC-17 - Frontiers
--- X (not porn; several horror films were rated X) - Ilsa She Wolf of the SS
--- Unrated (post-MPAA) - Dans Ma Peau

Watch a film starring:
--- Bela Lugosi - Dracula
--- Lon Chaney Sr. -
--- Boris Karloff - Bride of Frankenstein
--- Lon Chaney Jr. - Wolfman
--- Vincent Price - Diary of a Madman
--- Peter Cushing - Nothing but Night
--- Christopher Lee - Horror Of Dracula
--- Robert Englund -
--- Bruce Campbell -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween

--- First language, (Spanish), [REC].
--- Second language, (French), (Dans Ma Peau).

--- Vampire - Dracula
--- Frankenstein - Frankenstein
--- Werewolf - The Wolfman
--- Mummy - The Mummy
--- Invisible Man -
--- Ghost/haunting - Ghostbusters
--- Witchcraft/satanic/religious - Suspiria
--- Zombie - Dawn of the Dead
--- Slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac - The Burning
--- Monster/creature feature/Godzilla - Prophecy
--- Documentary -
--- Musical - Little Shop of Horrors
--- Spoof/comedy - Young Frankenstein
--- Revenge - The Burning
--- Killer/evil doll -
--- Killer/evil animal - Prophecy
--- Killer/evil child - Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
--- Giallo -
--- J horror -
--- MST3K/rifftrax/CT -
--- film and its remake - Bride of Frankenstein, The Bride
--- based on a novel - Dracula
--- won an Academy Award -- any category -
--- silent film - Nosferatu
--- with commentary – Cabinet of Dr Caligari
--- film and at least two of its sequels - Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein,
--- anthology film -
--- takes place on a holiday - My Bloody Valentine
--- takes place in space - Inseminoid
--- takes place on or under the sea - Creature From the Black Lagoon
--- animated film - Nightmare before Xmas
--- called "Night of the ..." -
--- called "Return of the ..." -
--- called "Revenge of the ..." - Revenge of the Creature
--- with the words "Living Dead" in the title - Return of the Living Dead 3

Last edited by caligulathegod; 11-02-08 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OCT 1st:
1. The Burning: ****
-i had never even heard of this movie untill over this past summer when randomly three or four friends reccomended it to me. picked it up in july and havent had a chance to watch it. enjoyed its cheesy-ness and the raft scene and Jason Alexander with hair was amazing.(1981)

2. Creepshow: **
- First time viewing it sine i was a youngin and while it was enjoyable not nearly as good as i remembered it. (1982)

3. The Blob: ***
- I woke up and this had just started on Chiller...i have only seen the remake (88) I haven never seen the original. I actually reallyenjoyedit. (1958)

Oct 2nd:

4. Candyman Farewell to the Flesh: ***
- another repeat but it was on chiller and i didnt wanna get out of bed to put in a movie. Candyman is one of my fav series that everyone seems to forget about.

5. Storm Warning: ***
- I might just be easy to please but i have found the majorityof these dimension extreme releases to be pretty fun flicks since most can be found under 10$ at blockbuster. I actually plan to rewatch this one this weekend bc i know my roommate will love it.

Oct 3rd:

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: *****
Easily my favorite horror movie. Just one i can always put on and enjoy. Actually showed this to my friend for the first time and scared the crap out of her.

7.Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake: ***
while no wheres near as good and i know alot of people didnt enjoy it Its one of my guilty pleasures in life

8:Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Begining:***
while not as good as id hope throw in a little gore and itll keep my attention.

9. Hellraiser:*****
10. Hellraiser Hell on Earth:**
11. Hellraiser hellbound:***

Oct 4:

12. Hellraiser Inferno: ***
13. C.H.U.D. ****
14. The Lost: ***
15. BioZOmbies: ****

Oct 5:
16. Otis: ****
17. Leprechaun:*****
18. Leprechaun 2: ***

Oct 6:
19.Leprechaun In the Hood: **
20.The Amittyville Horror: ***
21. The Thing: ****
22. Dog Soldiers: ***

Oct 7th:
23.Feast: ***
24. Wrong Turn:***
25. Wrong Turn 2:****

Oct 8-9:
Work Training no viewing.

Oct: 10:
went to a haunted house with some friends and drank untill passing out.

Oct 11:
26. The Shining:*****
27. Silent Night Deadly Night: ***
28. Killer Klowns from Outter Space: *****

Oct 12th:
29. The Craft: **
30. Shaun of the Dead: ****
31. 13 Ghosts: **
32. Ghost Ship: **

Oct 13th
33. Shocker: ***
34: People Under the Stairs: ***
35. Fido: ****

Oct 14th:
34. Hostel: **
35. Hostel 2: ***
36. The Ring: *****
37. The Ring 2: **

Oct. 15th:
38. Vacancy: **
39. Ghostbusters: ***** ^wildcard
40. Monster Squad: ***** ^wildcard
41. Black Sheep: *****

Oct 16th:
39. Wolf Creek: ***
40. Black Christmas remake: **
41. Final Destination: ***
42. Final Destination 2: ***

Oct 17th:
Nothing another haunted house.

Oct 18th:
43. Rest Stop: *
44. The Grudge: **
45. The Grudge 2 **
46. 3 Extremes 2:***
47. 3 Extremes: ****

Oct. 19th:
48. Bloody Reunion: ***
49. Frontier(s): ****
50. Them!: ****
51. The Orphanage: ****

Oct 20th:
52. Cry Wolf: ***
53. Dead Lake: ***
54: Borderland: ***

Oct 21:
55. Mullberry St.:****
56. Unrest:***
..came home from working a double and slept.

Oct 22:
57: Nightmare City:****
58. Street Trash: *****
59. The Cook: ***
60. Bikini Bloodbath: ***
61. FrankenHooker:****
62. Hellraiser: hellworld: ***

Oct 23:
63: Scream:***
64: Scream 2:**
65. Jaccobs Ladder: *****

...spending the rest of the day with my nieces carving pumpkins.
I gotta come back and update this list with the checklist and mini reviews...no internet atmy housesucks but opens up with more viewing time.

Oct 24:
64: Unearthed: ***
65. 30 Days of Night:****
66: Sweeny Todd:The Demon Barber of Fleet St
67: 28 Days Later
68: 28 Weeks Later.

Oct 25:
69: An American Werewolf in London: ***
70. Evil Dead
71. Evil Dead 2
72. Army of Darkness

then off to a halloween party.

Oct 26:
73. Feast 2: **
74. Zombie STrippers: ***
75. The Mist:****
76. The Blair Witch Projects:*****
77. The Blair Witch Projects 2: **

Oct 27:
78:Mother of Tears: ***
79ance of The Dead: ***
80.Trucks: **
81. Prom Night: remake **

Oct 28:
82. Student Bodies: ***
83. Slither:*****
84. The Langoliers: *
85.Ride the Bullet: ***

Oct 29:
86. Penny Dreadful: ***
87. Reincarnation: ***
88. Tooth and Nail: **

Sadly i stopped here. I was gonna forcemyself thru my master of horrors dvds but didnt wanna go the cheap way thru as i wanted to try my best to watch new movies...hopefully next year ill be more organized

Last edited by terrycloth; 11-03-08 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oct. 1
1. Psycho - had to start it off with an all-time classic. It just happened to be on TCM when I woke up in the middle of the night.
2. Halloween 4 - I've seen 1 and 2 recently so I'm continuing the series with 4...probably my 3rd favorite entry in the series.

Oct. 2
3. Halloween 5 - definitely one of the series' worst, but I'm going to finish the Halloween flicks in a day or two.

Oct. 3
4. April Fool's Day - decided to take a break from the Halloween series and this underrated 80's flick was the first thing on the shelf I came to.
5. Tenebre - I'm introducing my girlfriend to Argento and now that we've seen Deep Red and Tenebre, Suspiria's up next.

Oct. 5
6. Halloween 6 - continuing to plow through the series and had to watch this one for completion sake. 5 and 6 were always my least favorite (yes, even worse than a karate kicking, shit talking Busta Rhymes)...I never cared for the ridiculous cult angle

Oct. 6
7. Pathology - more suspense than horror. The tediousness of this movie was only offset by the hotness of Lauren Lee Smith. I've never been sold on the acting of Milo Ventemiglia and this film did nothing to change that.

Oct. 7
8. Bram Stoker's Dracula - Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece.
9. Halloween H2O - the entry that discarded the terrible cult subplot of the previous two films and got the series back on track (only to be derailed with the next installment). On the down side, Hartnett is pretty bad, the mask is terrible, and the actor playing Michael looks more company it-ish than intimidating (not that the hulk playing myers in the remake is any better.)

Oct. 10
10. House on Sorority Row - An 80's era slasher that I've never seen before. After seeing the film on a couple of other lists, I was able to track down a copy, but now wish that effort was spent on a better film. No suspense, terrible acting, maybe a little creepy weirdness near the end, but overall a bad movie.

Oct. 11
11. Lake Dead - a cheaply made, poorly acted film which aims to fit in the hillbilly horror genre ruled by Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes. Nothing memorable here...typical teens-in-rv-set-upon-by-inbred-killers.

Oct. 12
12. Halloween Resurrection - Busta Rhymes talking shit to, while karate kicking, Michael Myers is one of the low points of the series.

Oct. 15
13. The Wicker Man - the original. Infinitely better than the terrible LeBute/Cage Remake. Very creepy and stays with you long after the run time.
14. The Strangers - one of the few effective recent american horror pics. I'm not sure if I prefer this to Ils (Them), but both are genuinely tense and scary.

Oct. 18
15. Ils (Them) - Watching The Strangers put me in the mood for this. A well directed, suspenseful film.
16. My Bloody Valentine - An underseen 80's holiday-themed slasher. Not terribly scary, but a suspenseful chase scene near the end. One part of a cheaply found double feature disc paired with April Fools Day.
17. Halloween (2007 Remake) - Zombie white-trashes up Carpenter's classic and makes an unpleasant, harsh, and brutal film. I'm definitely not a fan of this film. Part of the effectiveness of the original is that the evil of Michael Myers is essentially random. There is no explanation. Zombie pisses on that mystique by giving Myers the by-the-numbers serial killer childhood. Plus, there is no one to root for...Laurie and her friends are as obnoxious and unlikeable as your typical Friday the 13th counselors. That said, the second half of the film is better directed than anything in the series since Halloween II and young Michael in the clown costume with the Myers mask is a pretty creepy visual.

Last edited by kurupt; 10-19-08 at 01:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.