Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rear Window Reissue Coming (Hitchcock)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window Reissue Coming (Hitchcock)?

Sorry if this has been covered recently, I haven't been around a lot.

Does anyone know if Universal is planning a reissue of Rear Window anytime soon? I guess this applies really to any Universal Hitch title, Vertigo & Psycho for example. I thought those were to be reissued last year and they weren't.

Any info would be nice.
Old 05-19-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
i could also just be out of the loop, but i have not heard of a reissue of Rear Window being in the works. Psycho and the Birds (and maybe Vertigo) were rumored to get Universal Legacy Series treatment, but nothing has come of that yet.
Old 05-19-08, 10:28 AM
Banned

Rumors have been appearing that they are going to be putting them out as part of their Legacy Series line and they might be coming out this October as 2-disk sets.
This sounds very possible since it is also expected Season four of A. H. presents should come out around the same time.
Old 05-19-08, 01:05 PM

North By Northwest had a recent restoration and went out of print, I'd expect to see it first.
Old 05-19-08, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
North By Northwest had a recent restoration and went out of print, I'd expect to see it first.
North By Northwest is a Warner owned film and it has already been confirmed for a release in 2009 for its anniversary. It'll get a full blu-ray special edition treatment and everything.
Old 05-19-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could go for a new 2-disk set of this movie.
Old 07-07-08, 08:31 AM
Banned

It is indeed coming:

Title: Rear Window
Starring: James Stewart
Released: 7th October 2008
SRP: $26.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has officially announced a new special edition of Rear Window which stars James Stewart, Grace Kelly, and Raymond Burr. The 2-disc set will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Mono track. The full disc specs are listed below:

• Feature Commentary with John Fawell (author of "Hitchcock's Rear Window: The Well-Made Film")
• Production Photographs
• Production Notes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Re-Release Trailer Narrated by James Stewart

Disc 2 (Side A): Bonus Disc

• Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary
• A Conversation with Screenwriter John Michael Hayes
• Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of the Master
• Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts
• Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Mr. Blanchard's Secret"

Also, we are getting a 2-disk Psycho:

Title: Psycho

Starring: Anthony Perkins

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of Psycho which stars Anthony Perkins, and Janet Leigh. The set will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Mono track. The full disc specs are attached below, and we'll bring you the official package artwork shortly. Stay tuned.

Quote:
Disc 1 (Side A)

• Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho")
• Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho
• The Shower Scene
• The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass
• The Psycho Archives
• Posters and Psycho Ads
• Lobby Cards
• Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
• Production Photographs
• Production Notes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Re-Release Trailers

• The Making of Psycho
• In the Master's Shadow: Hitchcock's Legacy
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Lamb to the Slaughter"

AND a 2-disk Vertigo
Title: Vertigo

Starring: James Stewart

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced a special edition of Vertigo which stars James Stewart, and Kim Novak. The Alfred Hitchcock film will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Mono tracks. We've attached the full disc specifications below:

Quote:
Disc 1 (Side A)

• Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz and Other Vertigo Participants
• Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin
• Foreign Censorship Ending
• The Vertigo Archives
• Production Notes
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Restoration Theatrical Trailer

• Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock's Masterpiece
• Partners in Crime: Hitchcock's Collaborators
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "The Case of Mr. Pelham"
Old 07-07-08, 08:40 AM

Looks like it's nothing but Hitchcock double-dips this fall.
Old 07-07-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by indy81
Looks like it's nothing but Hitchcock double-dips this fall.
No kidding. Now all we need is a box set of his early silents.
Old 07-07-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm going to kick Universal in the face if they don't release these on Blu-ray at the same time.
Old 07-07-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
i'm going to kick Universal in the face if they don't release these on Blu-ray at the same time.
no kidding, same here. There no point in rereleasing these if they don't get put in high def as well.

c'mon Universal
Old 07-07-08, 10:26 AM
Banned

^Um...YES they definitely have a reason to re-release these on regular DVD.
I MIGHT WANT THEM! I'll be picking these up on DVD because I might want the special features but DO NOT CARE if they are ever released on that thing called BLu-ray!
Old 07-07-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Um...YES they definitely have a reason to re-release these on regular DVD.
I MIGHT WANT THEM! I'll be picking these up on DVD because I might want the special features but DO NOT CARE if they are ever released on that thing called BLu-ray!
I'd say this is bordering on threadcrapping. The point the other user is making is that they just put out the nice 14-disc box set of Hitchcocks a few years ago, and I certainly wouldn't have picked that set up if I knew it was going to become obsolete so quickly.

Since I did in fact buy that set, I think I'll hold off on these until they do come to Blu, so I can justify picking them up again. But, good news.
Old 07-07-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been holding off on these films and will finally buy them on DVD. Good news!
Old 07-07-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm pretty darn happy with the versions in the Masterpiece Collection, and I'm not Blu yet, so I'll probably pass.
Old 07-07-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally. Universal has a busy day on 10/7, including the new SE of Touch Of Evil too.
Old 07-07-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder what happened to The Birds SE that was also supposed to come out?
Old 07-07-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'd say this is bordering on threadcrapping. The point the other user is making is that they just put out the nice 14-disc box set of Hitchcocks a few years ago, and I certainly wouldn't have picked that set up if I knew it was going to become obsolete so quickly.

Since I did in fact buy that set, I think I'll hold off on these until they do come to Blu, so I can justify picking them up again. But, good news.
eh, just ignore his obvious and obnoxious vendetta against hi-def media. it's not even worth engaging.
Old 07-07-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'm in for all 3.
Old 07-07-08, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119

First off If anyone is threadcrapping it is the people who continually say "if this release isnt on Blu-ray then it isn't worth it to release it at all'.
I dont go into the HD talk forums and pull that kinda shit. Take a look at the numbers of DVD's sold in a months period aganst the number of Blu- disks sold.
Its like what 93% dvd's VS. 7% Blu. Every release cannot be put on both formats. Its crazy to think that. SO you (or who I was responding to) think that if a studio doesn't put this out on Blu-ray I shouldn't have the chance to pick it up on DVD? Really?

I too bought the 14 disk Masterpiece collection and will probably pick these 2-disks up as well. At least the releases with new commentaries I will get.
Old 07-07-08, 01:41 PM

First off If anyone is threadcrapping it is the people who continually say "if this release isnt on Blu-ray then it isn't worth it to release it at all'.
I dont go into the HD talk forums and pull that kinda shit. Take a look at the numbers of DVD's sold in a months period aganst the number of Blu- disks sold.
Its like what 93% dvd's VS. 7% Blu. Every release cannot be put on both formats. Its crazy to think that. SO you (or who I was responding to) think that if a studio doesn't put this out on Blu-ray I shouldn't have the chance to pick it up on DVD? Really?

I too bought the 14 disk Masterpiece collection and will probably pick these 2-disks up as well. At least the releases with new commentaries I will get.
Sure, not EVERY film can be released on Blu right away, but there is no reason why these can't be released on Blu.
Old 07-07-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just seen the artwork on DVDActive and Rear Window and Psycho are apart of their Legacy Series. The Psycho artwork is very nice.
I will get each one the 4 they are releasing.
Old 07-07-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro
I wonder what happened to The Birds SE that was also supposed to come out?
Platinum Dunes is remaking The Birds with Naomi Watts and director Martin Campbell. They're probably waiting for that.
Old 07-07-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It may be that this response will become so ubiquitious (and annoying) that it would be best for the forum to require that it be left unstated.

But as someone who has purchased these films multiple times - even non-R1 discs for the anamorphic enhancement - I'm never buying them again on a SD format. The next time I purchase these films, they'll be in HD.

Those like me probably represent a fairly small portion of market share, but a growing one. One that will be even larger when these discs are finally released. And larger than that after next holiday season. Soon, these spiffy new releases will be SD-oldhat for a larger and larger segment.

So, I'll sit on my three releases of "Vertigo" and two each of "Psycho" and "Rear Window". It's tough unloading the old discs. And I'll Netflix these releases next Fall, assuming they look as good as the HDTV broadcasts. But I won't purchase yet another disc of these films until they're released in a hi-def format.
Old 07-07-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, it looks like I'll be upgrading Psycho and picking up both Rear Window and Vertigo come October.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.