Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?
Yes, I prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality
13.78%
No, I prefer Blu Ray video quality over DVD video quality
76.89%
I like both equally.
9.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this poll might as well have been 'do you prefer watching movies through a dirty screen door' or 'watching movies normally'... because I know that not all movies look amazing on Blu-ray, but it's usually the closest to the theatre and most of them look pretty damn good. If you're not ready for Blu-ray technology, it's fine - DVD is great and I'm certainly not upgrading ALL of my movies, I've invested too much... but if you're asking me which video quality I prefer, HIGH DEFINITION will win EVERYTIME.
Old 09-05-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
There really are no qualifications. Blu-ray picture quality destroys dvd. It is that simple or you might need a visit to the optometrist. What people here seem to be using as a criteria has more to do with value and price than picture quality.
Old 09-05-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Also, I just don't trust those "side-by-side" comparisons I see in the store. The DVD version always looks so washed out and blurry that I can't help but think that I'm seeing some sales trickery as they never look that poor at home - although I know that non-upscaled DVDs can look worse on a hi-def TV.
My favorite Best Buy location has a side by side of a massive gathering of warriors preparing for battle. While the Blu-ray half looks nice and sharp, the DVD half seems a little too undefined. I keep wondering if it's been tweaked to make the Blu-ray side look all the better.

--THX
Old 09-05-08, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even on a 37" LCD, the difference in quality of Blu Ray over DVD is notable. Put a blu ray disc like Con Air side to side with the DVd version and you'll see a huge difference.
Old 09-05-08, 10:59 PM
KLZ
Cool New Member

When blue ray prices match today's dvd prices is when i'll buy some. There is no other reason for me to pay more when the dvd quality is just perfectly fine.
Old 09-06-08, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, it's just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.
Old 09-06-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by KLZ
When blue ray prices match today's dvd prices is when i'll buy some. There is no other reason for me to pay more when the dvd quality is just perfectly fine.
If this is really the case for you, then why would you buy a Blu-ray title at all or ever, if it was as cheap as the SD DVD version. Because you're implying both versions are identical. So, there's no point in waiting for Blu-ray titles to get down to SD DVD price levels.

When viewing HD titles, I often notice much more detail and depth in areas such as a cabinet in the background, or a glass object which is defined without the inherent artifacts of sharpening. The glistening of medals off an actor's military outfit can really bring out what HD is all about.
Old 09-06-08, 07:27 AM

I voted DVD over Blu-Ray only because I don't think that Blu-Ray is that significant an improvement of both picture and audio quality for me to re-invest in new equipment and films I already have. DVD will suffice until the next format, cause I don't think that Blu-Ray will kill DVD.

Yes, Blu is better, but I don't think it's the significant jump that VHS to DVD was (for the record, I never jumped on the laserdisc bandwagon...too damn expensive). I still do feel that Blu is this generations Laserdisc.

I still get ticked off at the commercials for Blu that state it has lossless audio. I have DVD's that have that and it upsets me that it's not implimented on more releases (actually releases over here in Region 1. The DVD's I have it on are other regions).

On a side note, does anyone here notice that the PQ on recent DVD releases is pretty lackluster compared to a year or 2 ago? It almost feels like the studios are making DVD look worse to push people to by into the HD format. I mean, there is some SERIOUS push by these people for you to buy HD. It's almost like they're desperate for you to buy it.
Old 09-06-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
DVD will suffice until the next format.
What are you expecting from the next format that Blu-ray doesn't offer?
Old 09-06-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
On a side note, does anyone here notice that the PQ on recent DVD releases is pretty lackluster compared to a year or 2 ago? It almost feels like the studios are making DVD look worse to push people to by into the HD format. I mean, there is some SERIOUS push by these people for you to buy HD. It's almost like they're desperate for you to buy it.
I'm not sure it's happening right now, but this would not be surprising at all in this industry. I'm totally expecting this to happen. I would expect it with Sony, but I just got the DVD of THE FALL (produced by Sony), and it's probably the best video/audio quality DVD i've seen all year.
Old 09-06-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
3D and blowjobs
Old 09-06-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray, though I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. But it is clearly better. If it ever gets to the dirt prices we have for DVDs now, I'll probably jump on board and upgrade some discs.
Old 09-06-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the existance of Blu-Ray since it has created dirt prices of DVDs. Now is a great time for people to get into DVD since they can find tons of old DVD releases for less than 10 bucks.
Old 09-06-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer VHS video quality to both. DVD is simply too crisp and clear.

Last edited by MoviePage; 09-06-08 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-06-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
3D and blowjobs
I'll hold out for that one.
Old 09-06-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I prefer right now about DVD is the portability. I watch a lot of my movies on the go. The only place I can watch my BD movies right now is at home in the one room I have a PS3. It's also the only place I have a setup that brings out all of BD's potential. I expect this will change eventually.
Old 09-06-08, 11:11 AM

Cannot seriously believe people are voting dvd over blu-ray in terms of video quality. Jaw-dropping.
Old 09-06-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Well Blu-Ray still has a compressed picture. So essentially I will be looking forward to a new format that has completely uncompressed picture and sound.
Old 09-06-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I alway A:B compare any blu-ray "upgrades" just to make sure... my DVDs are upscaled to 1080i via HDMI on an Oppo 981HD and my blu-rays are played on Panny BD-30 also at only 1080i (which is my monitor's highest resolution). In short, I'm short-shrifting the blu-ray by a great deal by only being able to play it at it's lowest resolution. Those who can do 720p or 1080p or 1080p/24 will be seeing a much more improved picture than I.

That said, no DVD has ever been comparable to any blu-ray of the same film. Even such highly criticized blu-ray transfers like "House of Flying Daggers" and "The Fly" look far better than their DVD counterparts (specifically, the remastered Edko R3 and Fox R1 releases). It's nothing you have to strain to see - even at a measly 1080i resolution - the picture quality of the blu-rays is easily and obviously and in every way superior.
Old 09-06-08, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I would expect it with Sony, but I just got the DVD of THE FALL (produced by Sony), and it's probably the best video/audio quality DVD i've seen all year.
I'm only really noticing it on mainstream blockbuster-type films...ones that studios expect everyone to buy.
Old 09-06-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I prefer VHS video quality to both. DVD is simply too crisp and clear.
I personally prefer Betamax myself. 330x480 is all I need. The cassettes were smaller and I like the way it looked in that it had only one circle showing the tape and it could make a good coaster for your coffee. Talk about extra features!

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There really are no qualifications. Blu-ray picture quality destroys dvd. It is that simple or you might need a visit to the optometrist. What people here seem to be using as a criteria has more to do with value and price than picture quality.
That's what I always want to say (and have said a few times) if you can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and DVD. I know people with glasses that can tell the difference. I don't know how people with 20/20 vision can't.

Originally Posted by dx23
Even on a 37" LCD, the difference in quality of Blu Ray over DVD is notable. Put a blu ray disc like Con Air side to side with the DVd version and you'll see a huge difference.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks you can tell a difference between Blu-ray and DVD on a screen that isn't 50" or bigger. I can definitely tell a difference between the two formats on a 32" 1080p HDTV. I'm of the opinion that it isn't so much the size (although that is a factor), but what distance you are sitting from the TV.

Without a doubt Blu-ray is better than DVD. I'm not a BD snob and I still do buy DVDs, but it's like a treat every time you watch full 1080p HD content. Upconverting is fantastic for DVDs and it's especially great for collectors like me who have quite a few TOD titles.
Old 09-06-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can we move this to HD Talk so that those 10 people that voted for DVD can be blasted away?
Old 09-06-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nateman
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks you can tell a difference between Blu-ray and DVD on a screen that isn't 50" or bigger. I can definitely tell a difference between the two formats on a 32" 1080p HDTV. I'm of the opinion that it isn't so much the size (although that is a factor), but what distance you are sitting from the TV..
I have a 26" LCD and a 42" Plasma, and I can tell a huge difference on the LCD, let alone the Plasma so in this case, size doesn't matter. That being said, LCD TVs tend to reveal each and every flaw in the image more than Plasma, so the screen type could also come into play here as well.

There are simply too many variables to consider that making blanket statements about which is better and why aren't appropriate.
Old 09-06-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I alway A:B compare any blu-ray "upgrades" just to make sure... my DVDs are upscaled to 1080i via HDMI on an Oppo 981HD and my blu-rays are played on Panny BD-30 also at only 1080i (which is my monitor's highest resolution). In short, I'm short-shrifting the blu-ray by a great deal by only being able to play it at it's lowest resolution. Those who can do 720p or 1080p or 1080p/24 will be seeing a much more improved picture than I.
This post is full of misinformation.
Old 09-06-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
My favorite Best Buy location has a side by side of a massive gathering of warriors preparing for battle. While the Blu-ray half looks nice and sharp, the DVD half seems a little too undefined. I keep wondering if it's been tweaked to make the Blu-ray side look all the better.
Keep in mind that those demos are made by Blu-ray manufacturers in order to sell Blu-ray. So it's in their interest to made standard defintion look as bad as possible in comparison to HD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.