Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wire and Deadwood Complete Series Sets

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"Deadwood Complete Series Set" -- Did HBO finally pony up for a fourth season?

No? Then fuck'em.

Might a suggest a new slogan -- "It's not HBO. It's Showtime."
brutal - but this sums up how i feel as well. i already have the individual season sets and see no reason to upgrade for an insignificant set of special features.

oh, by the way, my opinon is the same for the wire's complete set and overall treatment by HBO.
Old 09-06-08, 04:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
oh, by the way, my opinon is the same for the wire's complete set and overall treatment by HBO.
I'm curious what you mean by this. Are you saying that you think the show was mishandled in some way by HBO? Because I think The Wire is one instance where the network should be commended. It was never a very popular show, yet it was still given the freedom to complete its entire five season run, as intended. I guess I could see being disappointed with the apparent lack of new extras on the complete series set, but that doesn't really speak to the network's treatment of the show.
Old 09-06-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like THe Wire is another one of those sets where you can stratch your dvds easily sliding into the sleeves. I hate that. Makes the set feel cheap and flimsy.
Old 09-07-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
HBO dvd's are vastly overpriced. So, no I wont be picking either of these up.
Old 09-07-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
HBO dvd's are vastly overpriced. So, no I wont be picking either of these up.
These actually are not that overpriced if you think about it. I mean lets look at the breakdowns.

"The Wire" is 5 seasons at $249.xx. Most stores will give atleast a 30% discount on the suggested price bring the set down to $175 and then divided by 5 seasons is $35 a season. Most new season sets are $35 or 40 on release day. "Grey's Anatomy," "Lost," "Law and Order" are all atleast $35.
Old 09-07-08, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'll pick up the Wire set if I can find it for less than $100.
Old 09-07-08, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Listening to the audio commentary from the creator on the final episode is heartbreaking. You can tell he put his heart and soul into the project, and it was taken from him without his approval.

Regardless of how it ended, the show is brilliant from the pilot to the finale. For newcomers, don't let that be a factor in buying the seasons/box set. It simply must be watched to understand the greatness of it all.
I completely agree with this. I think that if you watch the show and like it, then you are disappointed that there are no more episodes to watch, but the ending that is provided is certainly sufficient. Although, for those that like everything tied up in a bow (I think those are the creator's words), then that isn't going to happen for you. I, personally, was fine with the ending provided, but I was also very pleased with (and enjoyed) the final episode of The Sopranos.
Old 09-07-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already have all of Deadwood on DVD. They look and sound great. I can't justify spending any money to upgrade, those sets were already awesome.

The only reason I really want to buy the not discussed in this thread, Sopranos boxed set, is because I read it's supposed to be digitally remastered, and I know the earlier seasons although looking ok, could use them. I can't see how something like Deadwood would benefit from this, and I'm sure it wasn't even in the cards since it doesn't need it.
Old 09-12-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
On the other hand, if that link is correct and the set is 23 discs, that would allow room for bonus material (20 discs for the show, I guess 2 more discs for the soundtracks--both of which are great, btw--and another disc of supplements). I guess we'll find out shortly.
'The Wire' season sets total 23 discs; 5 each for the first 3 + 4 each for 4 & 5.
Old 09-12-08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I already have all of Deadwood on DVD. They look and sound great. I can't justify spending any money to upgrade, those sets were already awesome.

The only reason I really want to buy the not discussed in this thread, Sopranos boxed set, is because I read it's supposed to be digitally remastered, and I know the earlier seasons although looking ok, could use them. I can't see how something like Deadwood would benefit from this, and I'm sure it wasn't even in the cards since it doesn't need it.
Not to mention the fact that The Sopranos set is supposed to contain some really illuminating extra features, including deleted scenes. I may be a crazy fan, but I will actually spend the 250 dollars or whatever to see 15 more minutes of the show that I loved so much.

I agree about Deadwood's currently available releases, too. They are absolutely gorgeous, and done right the first time. If there is additional material, especially deleted scenes, then perhaps I'll "pony up". Otherwise, I'm happy with what I have.
Old 09-12-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
'The Wire' season sets total 23 discs; 5 each for the first 3 + 4 each for 4 & 5.
Really? I could have sworn they were all four discs each. Oh well, it's still a nice looking set.
Old 09-12-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the packaging like on the individual Deadwood Seasons? Or any HBO show for that matter? Anyone?
Old 09-12-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HBO series are expensive. But they are worth it, too.

These are like the last hold-outs (along with BBC imports) for expensive TV DVDs. It seems like most other shows are 25-35 normal per season, with 15-20 sale pricing from time to time. Even Lost recently hit $20 a season.

-beebs
Old 09-12-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? I could have sworn they were all four discs each. Oh well, it's still a nice looking set.
I think they cut it down to four in the fourth season (even though it was 13 episodes, while second and third were 12) to make it cheaper so it would sell better. But, yeah, the first three are five discs, 2-3 episodes per disc.
Old 09-13-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Wire is one of the best dramas.

(That sentence was not missing a clause or specification).
Old 09-13-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
These actually are not that overpriced if you think about it. I mean lets look at the breakdowns.

"The Wire" is 5 seasons at $249.xx. Most stores will give atleast a 30% discount on the suggested price bring the set down to $175 and then divided by 5 seasons is $35 a season. Most new season sets are $35 or 40 on release day. "Grey's Anatomy," "Lost," "Law and Order" are all atleast $35.
Ahh, but youre forgetting that the HBO seasons are 12 episodes. A little bit more than half of the season lengths for the three other shows you compared it to. By that reasoning they are twice as expensive per episode, roughly.

Deadwood box lists for 180. minus your 30% is 126. divided by three seasons is 42 a season. Hardly a bargain for 12 epsidoes.
Old 09-13-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Hardly a bargain for 12 epsidoes.
$42 for 12 hours of entertainment, plus extras? Sounds like a bargain to me.
Old 09-15-08, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

$42 for 12 hours of entertainment, plus extras? Sounds like a bargain to me.
Of course, but comparatively to most other season sets (You can get any season of the West Wing for about $20 nowadays) it doesn't sound quite so bargainy.
Old 12-07-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump, anyone know how that bonus disc is? Lowest price thus far is either best buy or amazon that have deadwood for 104.99, and i think the wire is 129.99 for the set.
Old 12-07-08, 02:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Wire complete has bonus CD at BB.
Old 12-07-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anyone buys this from Best Buy and isn't interested in the soundtrack, I would gladly take it off your hands.
Old 12-08-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
Unless there's anything exclusive to the set for "The Wire" I'll just keep my individual releases. This packaging is really bland, and by the look of things, the five individual seasons will take up just as little space.
I saw what the set looked like when we got our copies at work. It takes up MUCH less space than the five individual seasons.
Old 12-08-08, 02:19 PM

I would be willing to pay $70 for the Deadwood collection. Norammly I wouldn't pay more than $20 a season for any TV on DVD - and I've passed on it at $20 per. I'm willing to pay the extra $10 for the bonus discs.
Old 12-08-08, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
bump, anyone know how that bonus disc is? Lowest price thus far is either best buy or amazon that have deadwood for 104.99, and i think the wire is 129.99 for the set.
Some featurettes:

Milch on endings
The cast/crew at the Paley Center
Set visit
History of the real Deadwood
Audition footage
Old 12-08-08, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone know yet how the discs are packaged in the Deadwood set? Plastic hubs or cardboard sleeves?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.