Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Peanuts Holiday Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where'd you get the tree? Is that a plastic CB or stuffed?
I braved the hipsters last year and got the tree at Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SULTS&color=00

Looks like it's on sale (online, at least).

The Charlie Brown has a stuffed body and plastic head, feet, and hands. I got him as a Christmas gift a few years ago. He comes with plastic ice skates you can put over his shoes. His hat's removable, as well as his corduroy jacket (he's got his yellow shirt on underneath - and yellow socks!).

The blanket I picked up in the baby section of Macy's or some other department store.
Old 12-05-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
I braved the hipsters last year and got the tree at Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SULTS&color=00

Looks like it's on sale (online, at least).

The Charlie Brown has a stuffed body and plastic head, feet, and hands. I got him as a Christmas gift a few years ago. He comes with plastic ice skates you can put over his shoes. His hat's removable, as well as his corduroy jacket (he's got his yellow shirt on underneath - and yellow socks!).

The blanket I picked up in the baby section of Macy's or some other department store.
Awesome! Thanks for the link. Shipping is $6, which sucks, but a quick google search turned up a 10% off coupon 27WELCOME if anyone else is buying. That's only a $1.50 savings, but every little bit helps. Final cost was $19.49 shipped.

I have the stuffed CB that Kohl's sold for charity a couple years back. He'll have to do for now. I'll check Wal-Mart or Target for a plain blanket.
Old 12-05-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to help. I'm actually going to stop by UO again this year, probably next week. They've got a cool Charlie Brown mug that I want to get for a friend who is also a Peanuts freak:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SULTS&color=72

(And I'm tempted to get one for myself.) I just hope that they carry it in their store because, like you said, shipping is pretty steep.

At least last year, the Wal-Mart and Target near me didn't carry any plain baby blue blankets (they all had patterns and stuff on them), so I had to opt for the more expensive option.
Old 12-05-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That mug is awesome. Thanks for the codes Michael!
Old 12-05-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No sweat starman, google did all the heavy lifting.

That mug is pretty sweet. I'd be all over it if I drank coffee. Interesting about the blanket. Thinking about it, I can probably get my wife to just make one. Might be easier to find plain material than tracking down an actual blanket.

One more quick question DJLinus, is there a brand name attached to that Charlie Brown?

*edit - is it this one? If so, OUCH! on the price.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-05-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
You're welcome.

I *think* this may be it, so it's not a BB exclusive or very new (it's a couple of years old): http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-...402016&sr=1-10

My BB had it for either $18 or $20.

I never got the latest "A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster. Worth the upgrade? The reviews on Amazon are slightly mixed.
As DJLinus says, the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" 3-CD tin isn't exclusive to anywhere, and it consists of three CDs that are available separately as well:

* "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (I believe the tin includes the remastered version) - pretty much a complete collection of all the original soundtrack music from the special as performed by Vince Guaraldi.
* "Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits" - a collection of Guaraldi music from various Peanuts specials; most of the tracks do not appear on other CDs, although there are a couple of repeats. Most of the music on this CD is not from the Christmas special, although it does include one bit that is not on the Christmas soundtrack CD.
* "40 Years: A Charlie Brown Christmas" - music from the TV special reinterpreted and covered by modern artists, with a few pieces of Christmas music not from the special tossed in. This CD is, for the most part, dreadful and hard to recommend.

Buying the tin is cheaper than buying all 3 CDs separately; but if you're just after the Christmas soundtrack, you could buy just the soundtrack CD with the original music and skip the tin.

I'd say the remastered version of the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" soundtrack is definitely worth getting - the remastering is quite well done and the sound is significantly better than the original CD. It also includes alternate takes of 4 of the tracks, and the packaging is nice.

For more information about the various Charlie Brown Christmas CD releases, see this webpage by Guaraldi expert Derrick Bang: http://fivecentsplease.org/dpb/cbxmas.html

--Scott McGuire
The Peanuts TV Page - http://www.fivecentsplease.org/peanuts-tv.html

Last edited by smcguire; 12-06-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with everything smcquire said. I have all three, but not the tin. I also would not recommend the "40 Years: A Charlie Brown Christmas" to anyone. It is terrible.
Old 12-07-08, 12:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I'll third/fourth that the 40 Years CD is pretty crappy.

The new Blockbuster "exclusive" disc is the same disc that was the USPS exclusive back in 2006. It is also pretty much the same disc as disc 2 of the 3 disc tin, just a couple different tracks.
Old 12-08-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Funny... Urban Outfitters actually has a Linus blanket. Of course it is a bit overpriced at $20, but there you go.
Old 12-10-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the officially licensed blanket. I figured that the tree was worth the cost because it's a unique enough item, but passed on the blanket because I could get a similar one elsewhere for much cheaper (it was regular price - $36!!! - when I was in the market last year).

I went to Urban Outfitters last night and picked up that Charlie Brown mug for my friend's Christmas present. It's pretty sweet. I was able to resist the temptation to get one for myself...for now.