Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Peanuts Holiday Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If I'm not mistaken, I want a Dog is a full length movie. On the whole I agree with you, there should be about 4 cartoons per disc. They have 75+ to pull from. Get 'em all out there.
"I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" is 41 minutes long; so while it's longer than most Peanuts TV specials, it's not a full length movie.

But I agree, it would be nice if there were a few more specials on each disc.

--Scott M.
Old 09-27-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smcguire
"I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" is 41 minutes long; so while it's longer than most Peanuts TV specials, it's not a full length movie.

--Scott M.
He may have been thinking that since it's 41 minutes it is shown as an hour on TV with commercials.
Old 09-27-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I watched 'Pumpkin' and the colors really pop. I think it looks great.

--Scott M.
It's been a while since I've seen it. Amazon and DVDEmpire are showing a 75 minute run time. Does that figure include the run time for Charlie Brown Christmas Tales?
Old 09-27-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't think the remastering takes away the nostalgia, but your mileage may vary, of course. I think for me, a lot of the nostalgia is in the soundtrack (the music and kid's voices) as well as the pictures, and the soundtrack is still the same old mono as it always has been.

In my opinion, the video remastering offers modest, but noticeable, improvements over the previous Paramount DVD releases of the Peanuts specials. The image is sharper, and a very slight amount of color bleeding that was present in the Paramount DVDs is gone here.

One other improvement is that the masters Paramount used had been processed with a poor form of digital noise reduction which resulted in the black outlines of the characters breaking up during scenes of fast motion; the Warner Home Video DVDs do not have this problem at all.

One minor way in which the Warner DVDs may not be quite as good is there is more grain/noise in some scenes - although probably a lot of people wouldn't notice. Since at least for "the Great Pumpkin," I noticed grain/noise in the same places on the Warner DVDs as I've noticed in the new master ABC made for broadcast, my assumption is it's part of the original masters, and the rather strong noise reduction that Paramount used removed it from their DVDs (along with some of the black outlines!).

The video on the Paramount DVDs looked good; the Warner Peanuts DVDs look really good.

But don't worry, even though the shows look really good, they aren't perfect - there are still the occasional blemishes and smudges, probably created during the original animation drawing. So you can still feel nostalgic about the imperfect animation. And you can always turn the color on your TV down to simulate black and white if you want! :-)

And the new behind-the-scenes documentaries, while short (12-14 minutes each), are well done, entertaining, and reasonably informative.

--Scott McGuire
The Peanuts TV Page - http://web.mit.edu/smcguire/www/peanuts-tv.html
Wow thanks for the great response.
Old 09-28-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question, is the Coca Cola advertising ad that was in the original 'christmas' special restored back into the special?
Old 09-28-08, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
(I Want a Dog for Christmas DVD) It's been a while since I've seen it. Amazon and DVDEmpire are showing a 75 minute run time. Does that figure include the run time for Charlie Brown Christmas Tales?
Yeah, the 75 minutes for the DVD includes the runtime for the two extras on it, "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales" (17 mins) and "The Making of A Charlie Brown Christmas" (16 1/2 mins) as well as "I Want a Dog."

(Note that the "Making of A Charlie Brown Christmas" on the Paramount "I Want a Dog" disc is not the same as the behind-the-scenes featurette that is on the new Warner Home Video "Charlie Brown Christmas" disc.)

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
question, is the Coca Cola advertising ad that was in the original 'christmas' special restored back into the special?
No.

(But it's not really Warner's fault - no one so far has found a usable copy of those few seconds. I know they did look into it.)

--Scott M.
Old 12-03-08, 12:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Darn. I bought the Barnes and Noble exclusive version, and the Christmas DVD does not include the bonus CD.
Old 12-03-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question, will warner (or paramount whoever owns the rights) release the other 2 peanuts theatrical movies?
Old 12-03-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn. I bought the Barnes and Noble exclusive version, and the Christmas DVD does not include the bonus CD.
I was wondering about that one, I almost ordered it, probably still will I guess, but that kind of stinks.
Old 12-03-08, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I was wondering about that one, I almost ordered it, probably still will I guess, but that kind of stinks.
I wasn't going to, but my store had it at 20% off, then added my expiring 10% membership discount, then a 15% coupon, so that made it about the normal price if bought separately. Used a gift card I wanted to get rid of too.

Plus it was an exclusive I guess....

I'm such a completest I'll end up buying the Christmas disc again for that silly CD.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-03-08 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm such a completest I'll end up buying the Christmas disc again for that silly CD.
Better to spend your money on the stand-alone cd soundtrack. The cd that comes with the dvd only has six songs.
Old 12-03-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
What's exclusive to the B&N edition?
Old 12-03-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
What's exclusive to the B&N edition?
It's a 6 disc set instead of a Holiday Set:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/...9049738/?itm=1

Nothing is exclusive to it (except the box), but as a set it's exclusive.

All six Peanuts television specials in one specially priced box set -- now, that's special, Charlie Brown! A Barnes & Noble exclusive, The Peanuts Deluxe Collection brings together all the classic shows, including It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown; A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving; A Charlie Brown Christmas; Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown; It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown; and You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown. Not only does this set provide the best way to experience the magic of the Peanuts crew, it's the only way to get each of the six animated gems in one collection.
Old 12-03-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! Tempting...
Old 12-03-08, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Better to spend your money on the stand-alone cd soundtrack. The cd that comes with the dvd only has six songs.
I already have the full CD (probably twice or thrice since it keeps getting re-released with bonus tracks). But I collect exclusives, and Peanuts media, so I won't be able to resist the silly little 6 track sampler. It's a sickness.....
Old 12-03-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already have the full CD (probably twice or thrice since it keeps getting re-released with bonus tracks). But I collect exclusives, and Peanuts media, so I won't be able to resist the silly little 6 track sampler. It's a sickness.....
I hear ya.
Old 12-03-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't you from MN? You didn't buy one of those Peanuts statues did you?
Old 12-03-08, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Aren't you from MN? You didn't buy one of those Peanuts statues did you?
No, never lived there. Just picked Minnesota when I was a kid for the Vikings, and have stuck with the state in all things, might partially explain the Peanuts fascination.
Old 12-03-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're A Good Sport, Charlie Brown

1/27/09
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...od-Sport/10771
Old 12-04-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, never lived there. Just picked Minnesota when I was a kid for the Vikings, and have stuck with the state in all things, might partially explain the Peanuts fascination.
Gotcha. Well, we are glad to have you
Old 12-04-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
You're A Good Sport, Charlie Brown

1/27/09
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...od-Sport/10771
Yeah, it's in the inserts inside these new releases. I've never seen it so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-04-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're probably aware of its existence, but last night at Best Buy I saw the Christmas special soundtrack in a tin. It had 3 CDs - the first being the soundtrack, the second full of alternate takes (I think) and the third was "Charlie Brown's Holiday Favorties" (or something like that). Not sure if it was a BB exclusive; there were no markings stating as much, so I doubt it.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads-up.
Old 12-04-08, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
You're probably aware of its existence, but last night at Best Buy I saw the Christmas special soundtrack in a tin. It had 3 CDs - the first being the soundtrack, the second full of alternate takes (I think) and the third was "Charlie Brown's Holiday Favorties" (or something like that). Not sure if it was a BB exclusive; there were no markings stating as much, so I doubt it.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads-up.
Thanks, or maybe curses.

Also, I just found a Peanuts Holiday CD exclusive to Blockbuster, or so it said, as I think it had that same title, Charlie Brown's Holiday Favorites. More retailer shenanigans to get my cash perhaps.
Old 12-04-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're welcome.

I *think* this may be it, so it's not a BB exclusive or very new (it's a couple of years old): http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-...402016&sr=1-10

My BB had it for either $18 or $20.

I never got the latest "A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster. Worth the upgrade? The reviews on Amazon are slightly mixed.

I also went to Target last night and, if you are a super completest, in the $1 section they had a couple of Peanuts Christmas coloring books. I got one for my niece.

Just for fun, here's how I decorated my cube at work this year:

Old 12-04-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Where'd you get the tree? Is that a plastic CB or stuffed?

Anyway, I already have the two CDs in question so if anyone who didn't upgrade their sets and wants the iTunes codes for the free tunes, PM me.

Here is the breakdown:
"Camptown Races" & "Thanksgiving Theme"

"Hark the Herald Angels Sing" & "Christmas Time is Here"

"Great Pumpkin Waltz" & "Oh, Good Grief"

Codes are gone.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-05-08 at 08:08 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.