Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Solution: Why don't we all meet up and punch each other in the face, it might settle things.

Under/Over for thread shutdowns this October: 3

Chances I get one of the shutdowns when I complain how someone watched 16 movies in one night.... 2:1

Truthfully this banter takes away from it, I know there is going to be more of this, and hotter debate come october, and I will be right in the middle of it. But lets look at it as this... the times is 42 minutes. Truthfully, if somone wants to save 13 minutes to get an extra film in,Thus cutting short the suggestion set forth by others, they are probally gonna spend 13 minutes looking up the times and comparing. What does it matter if someone watches a 46 minute film, or a 58 minute film.

Documentaries, I think are a good thing. When I saw people using serials on serial killers, I went and used it too. As I said last year, it fealt like I was padding my stats. As long as it is a truthful documentary, and exceeds the times limits, and is somehting not of the fluff nature. Count it.

Comentaries... watch them if you want, count them once though even if you watch the film without them. I plan to watch some of the movies I've seen countless times ( i.e Evil Dead, Anoes, Hellraiser) with some sort of commentary. Be it what is on the dvd, or a rifftrax if available.
Old 09-13-08, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will probably only list the first hundred I watch, to avoid ruffling the feathers of the more sensitive runner ups. I'd rather enjoy the challenge, then spent the rest of the month watching without worrying about certain bitter pills being mad that they're not in contention. My approach this year is to have fun and not be concerned with what others are doing. I will be checking the lists of a few people (Trevor, Chad for sure) to get some viewing ideas, however.
Old 09-13-08, 07:50 AM

Check out my list, I'm going to be watching every underground and independent movie I can find in hopes of finding some gems in the mud. I'll have the most terrible list ever. I did this last time, though, and found "Fear of Clowns," which I love.

I really want to watch Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker. Somehow, though, I don't think this will be the best movie ever made.
Old 09-13-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
That's actually what I plan this year, too. I've watched all the classics, so I want to get more "drive-iny". I'm sure I'll have to watch Texas Chainsaw when it comes out on Blu-ray, and I've been saving the Kino Nosferatu and Blu-ray Nightmare Before Xmas for this, but otherwise I'm going obscure.
Old 09-13-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FusionX
I will probably only list the first hundred I watch, to avoid ruffling the feathers of the more sensitive runner ups. I'd rather enjoy the challenge, then spent the rest of the month watching without worrying about certain bitter pills being mad that they're not in contention. My approach this year is to have fun and not be concerned with what others are doing. I will be checking the lists of a few people (Trevor, Chad for sure) to get some viewing ideas, however.
I love how me and you refer to each other in our posts without actually saying names. But I have bad news concerning your bitter pills theory. I never thought I was in contention. I set a goal for 100( and failed) but I never thought I could do 325 films so I never bother to hope to win. As for Edtheripper, I am sure he watches close to that ammount, but the key word is watch.
Old 09-13-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
That's actually what I plan this year, too. I've watched all the classics, so I want to get more "drive-iny".
Same here. I plan on focusing almost exclusively on 70's grindhouse and 80's slashers this time around, plus a big chunk of Hammer titles. Should be fun.
Old 09-13-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Same here. I plan on focusing almost exclusively on 70's grindhouse and 80's slashers this time around, plus a big chunk of Hammer titles. Should be fun.
Pretty much my idea, i have a butt loadof slasher films burnt, not to mention another buttload of Hammer, which Ironically I started to watch in last years challenge. I also plan on catching alot of the TCM movies as I now have a DVDR so I can grab the one on at night.
Old 09-13-08, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
I will probably only list the first hundred I watch, ...
Great idea, lets make that the rule.

Seriously. It will stop the number bickering.

The challenge is to hit 100. Nothing over 100 should be encouraged or rewarded.

List your titles and comments on each title, but don't number them once you hit 100.
Old 09-13-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a handful of older movies that I've never seen in their entirety that I'm going to try and watch this year. Stuff like The Uninvited, The Old Dark House, House On Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, Last Man On Earth, and yes... Nosferatu... never seen it all the way through.

That is my goal this year.
Old 09-13-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
. . .plus a big chunk of Hammer titles. Should be fun.
In agreement. I recently picked up the UK Hammer box and plan to watch a number of titles from it. I got a lot of asian horror too that I never watched and may dig into those titles.
Old 09-13-08, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I have quite a few horror movies I've never watched, I'll try to watch them during this challenge.
Old 09-13-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I’ve finally come to my senses by making a couple of much-needed changes that will make this challenge a lot more enjoyable for all of us:

1. The feature-length rule is gone.

Okay, here’s the reasoning: Every single year we continue to have these ridiculous quarrels, not over prizes or because of sheer competitiveness, but over the running times and what constitutes the length of a feature film …and it’s usually regarding another person's list. And despite the fact that the rules have always been extremely lax and open to interpretation, this obsession on whether someone else’s title counts goes on. The emphasis here is supposed to be on having fun and that quickly diminishes when we’re all policing each other.

Yeah, upping it to the 55 or 60 minute mark would satisfy some, but it would also infuriate others. All that would accomplish is more countless debates over what counts and the cycle continues on. The fact of the matter is we will NEVER agree on a running time as a group. And honestly, why should anyone give a damn if a fellow participant watches something that you don't feel is an appropriate running time? Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about what others watch. Looking back in retrospect, I should have never added that rule because it has created some major problems.

2. No prize for the most watched.

Now I don't necessarily agree that the prize situation was the sole contributor of last years problems, although I can understand the reasoning behind removing this prize. This just ensures us that the person who watches the most of anyone is doing it because they want to and not because of a prize involved.

Also keep in mind I am NOT discouraging anyone from surpassing the 100 mark and hitting higher numbers. If you have 500 horror films lying around and feel like watching them all then go for it. There's a good possibility I'll personally watch more than the 153 from last year. Just don't make the assumption that anyone who surpasses 100 is doing it purely for competitive reasons or for a prize. Don't forget in the first year the 200 mark was surpassed and there weren't any prizes whatsoever involved. Most of us are just huge horror fans with a shitload of titles and this is our excuse to watch them. Just wanted to make that clear.

Of course there's still going to be prizes and probably just as many as last year. The only difference is they will all be randomly drawn for anyone who hits or surpasses the 100 mark with the exception of the new one for the most impressive list. And we'll all decide on that one when it's over.

I apologize for not putting this to a vote, but this needed to be done. The bottom line is I'm going to enjoy myself this year and will not let a repeat of last year happen.
Old 09-13-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I really want to watch Mulva: Zombie Ass Kicker. Somehow, though, I don't think this will be the best movie ever made.
Mulva is a funny movie, just don't take it seriously. Mulva 2: Kill Teen Ape! on the other hand was just lame.
Old 09-13-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
I apologize for not putting this to a vote, but this needed to be done. The bottom line is I'm going to enjoy myself this year and will not let a repeat of last year happen.

all sounds good to me man...this is your baby and we all knew you'd make the right decisions to begin with. now come on october!
Old 09-13-08, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Mulva is a funny movie, just don't take it seriously. Mulva 2: Kill Teen Ape! on the other hand was just lame.
I watched these in last year's challenge and agree, the first was fun, the second was awful.

As for the changes, this is Chad's deal, so I think its cool. I'll be listing my first 100, then moving my list/discussion to another board. Even with the changes, there will be some who choose to rain on parades, so I will be avoiding them this time around.
Old 09-13-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Also, despite TV shows and Halloween specials not counting (unless used as wild cards) ...

Feel free to include them unnumbered in your list and I'll include them as some sort of stats in the results thread. What exactly I don't know, but I'll think of something.

And speaking of stats, there was an earlier suggestion about including the most viewed horror films of the challenge. Well, I'll include that one too ...probably a top 3.
Old 09-13-08, 02:58 PM

Great choices Chad, and thanks as always for all the work you do in keeping this going.
Old 09-13-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gracias Chad, and thanks for your hard work on this.
Old 09-13-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Chad. Looks great!
Old 09-13-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
In agreement. I recently picked up the UK Hammer box and plan to watch a number of titles from it.
That's the one I'm going to unwrap as well. Was super cheap from Amazon.co.uk. Cool packaging too!
Old 09-15-08, 12:12 AM

I for one plan on watching movies and movies only. No docs, no commentaries, no MOH(I don't consider them movies). To each their own. The whole idea is to have fun.
Old 09-15-08, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the one I'm going to unwrap as well. Was super cheap from Amazon.co.uk. Cool packaging too!
Yeah, the box is neat. I was going to order it online at amazon.co.uk myself, but the Mrs had to go visit the UK for work so I asked her to grab one if she saw it at a good price at a B&M shop. She called me when she found it on a discount table at a store in the airport for a good deal so I told her to buy it there, along with a bunch of Buffy sets that were marked much cheaper than I seen on amazon (after season 3, the widescreen ones) and a few music DVDs & CDs. It was a nice haul! It felt like an early Christmas. Now, it'll make for a cool Halloween.
Old 09-15-08, 09:01 AM

I'll delete it if we find the old one, but here's a facebook group for the challenge.
Old 09-15-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll delete it if we find the old one, but here's a facebook group for the challenge.
It's funny. I didn't even know there WAS a Facebook group for this challenge 'til I read post in that old thread. Of course, I didn't get on Facebook until this year so I suppose I just ignored the post.

How was it last year? What did everybody do there?
Old 09-15-08, 11:01 AM

I haven't quite figured out what makes groups all that useful. But facebook overall is becoming my second home, well third home after my iphone. Hate the "new facebook" look though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.