Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-10-08, 12:55 PM
  #126  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,623
And even if there are twice as many as that, and someone watches all of them and counts them, so what?

Watch what you want to watch; enjoy the discussion here; and don't even think about the numbers, "winning", what other people are listing/counting, or if your choices are "more pure" than others.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 01:08 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
For the documentaries, would the featurettes on the Friday the 13th box set count if you watch them as a whole or not? It's well over an hour long if you watch it as a whole.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 01:15 PM
  #128  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,623
Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
For the documentaries, would the featurettes on the Friday the 13th box set count if you watch them as a whole or not? It's well over an hour long if you watch it as a whole.
I think the consensus/rule is that DVD special features do not count.

For a documentary to count it had to be released as a film separately.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 02:25 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Originally Posted by konekonoir View Post
These films (used a bit loosely) are all between 41 and 54 minutes according to imdb and/or my own notes - both of which may well be wrong.

Blood: The Last Vampire
Boy from Hell / Jigoku Kozo
Call of Cthulhu
Dead Girl Walking
Death Train / Kyofu Ressha
Digital Devil Monogatari Megami Tensei
Down to Hell
Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Signalman
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Stalls of Barchester
Ghost Story for Christmas: Treasure of Abbot Thomas
Ghost Story for Christmas: A Warning to the Curious
Guinea Pig: Android of Notre Dame
Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment
Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Guinea Pig: Devil Woman Doctor
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Death Make
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Diet
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: House of Bugs
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Present
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Snake Girl
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: The Wish
Living Dead Lock Up 2: March of the Dead
Masters of Horror: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
Mother Tree [Kaidan Chibusu Enoki: Ghost of Chibusu Enoki]
Omnibus: Whistle and I'll Come to You
Shadows in the Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy
Torched
A Candle in the Dark
Misty Mundae Mummy Raider
Death Shock
A Warning to the Curious
Maniac
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Beast of Yucca Flats
Abducted by the Daleks
Ghostbusters vs Freddy
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 02:27 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,444
So, does The Omen Legacy documentary count or not? It's one of the special features on the Omen 2-disc SE, but before that, it was released on DVD separately. I'll probably just count it again like I did last year; since I don't use wild cards, it could always be considered one of those, I guess.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 09-10-08 at 02:31 PM.
RobCA is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 02:45 PM
  #131  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,623
Originally Posted by RobCA View Post
So, does The Omen Legacy documentary count or not? It's one of the special features on the Omen 2-disc SE, but before that, it was released on DVD separately. I'll probably just count it again like I did last year; since I don't use wild cards, it could always be considered one of those, I guess.

Rob
I know there has been debate and confusion on documentaries, like to possibly only count documentaries about "horror subjects", and not count documentaries about "horror movies" (i.e. DVD special features often).

Many sort of bridge that gap, as the one you mention above. At first glance, it might appear to be a doc about the movie franchise. But it also focuses a lot on true life stories inspiring the movie/book iirc.

I'm sure people are getting tired of us all simply rehashing our thoughts over and over. It would be simple if we just made it either a Horror "movie" challenge and didn't count anything else, or made it a horror "content" challenge and allowed everything. But I'm sure Chad will make a comfortable middle ground for us all.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 03:19 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
With the documentaries I understand not counting featurettes but there are some good feature length documentaries that are DVD extras like the documentaries on Psycho, Friday the 13th and Re-Animator, I think that if they are that long they should count regardless of release. A 30-40 minute featurette should not count, but a "feature length" documentary should.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 04:35 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Darth Maher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Haddonfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,284
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It would be simple if we just made it either a Horror "movie" challenge and didn't count anything else, or made it a horror "content" challenge and allowed everything.
Agreed. A documentary about The Making of Frighteners (as great as it is) is no more a movie than the Buffy Halloween episode.
Darth Maher is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 05:46 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Caligari (1920) is 74 minutes, the 1962 version is 106 minutes, and the 2005 version is 76 minutes, so I'm not sure where you got that from. During my IMDB search, I stumbled across this Caligari, which looks intriguingly bizarre. Co-scripted by Jerry Stahl too boot. Has anyone seen it? Apparently it's a rarity.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 08:51 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,205
Alright, made a couple of minor changes to the first page:

-Updated the documentary rule to make things a little more clear.

-Added "The Unknown" on 10/26 to the TCM schedule.


Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Just please hold tight for another day because I was planning on bringing up the prize situation tomorrow.
Sorry, looks like it'll be another day or two.


And don't forget (if you haven't already) to...


Vote for you favorite commentary option:
  1. Half credit option. Allow commentaries only after one has viewed the film with the proper soundtrack. If you do choose to go back and listen w/commentary it's worth half a credit/point.

  2. 7 commentary limit. Self explanatory.

  3. The "with or without" option. Same as last year.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:02 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
-Added "The Unknown" on 10/26 to the TCM schedule.
Everyone should make it a point to use this as one of their wild cards. A bizarre, sadistic little film with a mesmerizing central performance by Chaney and a very young Joan Crawford in one of her first starring roles.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:07 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
So the new documentary rule is "legitimate stand alone horror documentaries"? So feature length documentaries like those on Re-Animator or Psycho don't count? If that is the case I don't really like that, because they are the same thing as the Hallloween: 25 Years of Terror documentary or the Going to Pieces documentary.
The Monkees is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:11 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,415
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Everyone should make it a point to use this as one of their wild cards. A bizarre, sadistic little film with a mesmerizing central performance by Chaney and a very young Joan Crawford in one of her first starring roles.
If you remember, remind us again when it gets close to the airing so I can set my DVR (I will NEVER remember.)

I looked it up on IMDB and it sounds bizarre and interesting. I don't get the chance very often to watch something from that time period, so this will be good for me. I did wonder, though, why you said use it as one of the wildcards. The running time looks to be 63 minutes.
Numes is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 10:15 PM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Numes View Post
I did wonder, though, why you said use it as one of the wildcards. The running time looks to be 63 minutes.
That's the original theatrical runtime - some of the footage has been lost in the intervening years and the surviving footage totals 47 minutes.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 12:05 AM
  #140  
TRC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 277
I'd like to join the challenge for the first time this year. First I want to clarify some things that I'm unsure about.

I understand that "Unrated" and "Extended" versions of movies don't count but what about alternate versions that were marketed as a different movie? The European cut of Dawn of the Dead was called Zombi and received its own series of sequels. Does it count separately? What about the extended versions of Death Proof and Planet Terror versus the theatrical Grindhouse feature?



As for the documentaries, what about ones that were made for television and but are released on DVD with a movie? There's a great TCM documentary about the Universal Monsters that years later was included with the Legacy Series editions of Frankenstein, Dracula and the Mummy.

Lastly does The Nightmare Before Christmas count? Seems like it should but it's certainly not a horror movie.

As for commentaries I'm voting for option C.
TRC is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 03:14 AM
  #141  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 562
Just thought I'd throw out a recommendation for anyone to use as a wildcard. There's an anime called Kakuenbo which is only about half an hour long. It's kind of creepy and has become kind of my own tradition to watch it during my Halloween marathons.

For the record, I think Masters of Horror (or Fear Itself for that matter) should count as they are considered movies, even if they aired on television first. I don't really see the need for commentaries at all. As for documentaries, use your own common sense, man. I think a lot of these issues are only coming up because people are concerned over others' title counts, and that's not really the point of all this.
dcrw6 is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 07:36 AM
  #142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
He probably has some butchered public domain monstrosity with a metal/goth soundtrack, there are unfortunately several of those floating around.



It also has nothing to do with vampires. If he means "Lez Vampires", as in sleazemaster Jesus Franco's Vampiros Lesbos, that's way over an hour as well.
I'm not a "he."

There's no "heavy metal soundtrack," but yes, the "public domain monstrosity" I have is 45 minutes long. I wasn't aware it wasn't the "true version" because every time I've seen it on one of the movie compilations in stores, it's been 45 minutes long. I didn't research the matter farther and this is the version I've watched many times.

I've never called "Vampires Lesbos" "Lez Vampires." I call that film by its proper name. The "Les Vampires" I watched last year as part of the challenge was 51 minutes long. Again, it was on a "public domain monstrosity" disc. It was suggested to me last year in the discussion thread as a silent movie I could watch to fulfill the silent film requirement, and that was the first time I heard of it, so I searched online and bought a cheap movie compilation disc that had a copy of this movie included. I watched it last year for the challenge and discussed it with people, and no one bothered to mention to me that it was some kind of truncated version. The point of my post was that the 60 minute rule excludes some movies that I think should count.

As Mr. Peepers said:

So what 40 - 59 minute movies upsets enough people so we can't watch them? If they're movies and they're horror, I don't see what the problem is. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean we should automatically disqualify them. They're horror movies and this is a horror movie challenge. If someone doesn't want to watch them then don't, someone else might.


Yes. This is what I was trying to say. You said it better. I didn't know that trying to include examples of movies that weren't 60 minutes long was going to lead to an argument about movie lengths.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 07:40 AM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Caligari (1920) is 74 minutes, the 1962 version is 106 minutes, and the 2005 version is 76 minutes, so I'm not sure where you got that from. During my IMDB search, I stumbled across this Caligari, which looks intriguingly bizarre. Co-scripted by Jerry Stahl too boot. Has anyone seen it? Apparently it's a rarity.
I've seen that. It's definitely interesting, but it's strange and it kind of gave me a headache.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 08:06 AM
  #144  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Originally Posted by konekonoir View Post
These films (used a bit loosely) are all between 41 and 54 minutes according to imdb and/or my own notes - both of which may well be wrong.

Blood: The Last Vampire
Boy from Hell / Jigoku Kozo
Call of Cthulhu
Dead Girl Walking
Death Train / Kyofu Ressha
Digital Devil Monogatari Megami Tensei
Down to Hell
Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Signalman
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Stalls of Barchester
Ghost Story for Christmas: Treasure of Abbot Thomas
Ghost Story for Christmas: A Warning to the Curious
Guinea Pig: Android of Notre Dame
Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment
Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Guinea Pig: Devil Woman Doctor
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Death Make
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Diet
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: House of Bugs
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Present
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Snake Girl
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: The Wish
Living Dead Lock Up 2: March of the Dead
Masters of Horror: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
Mother Tree [Kaidan Chibusu Enoki: Ghost of Chibusu Enoki]
Omnibus: Whistle and I'll Come to You
Shadows in the Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy
Torched
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
A Candle in the Dark
Misty Mundae Mummy Raider
Death Shock
A Warning to the Curious
Maniac
Beast of Yucca Flats
Abducted by the Daleks
Ghostbusters vs Freddy
Most of those are made for video shorts/featurettes, repackaged TV shows, amateur shot-on-camcorder productions, etc. A few are even barely 30 minutes. Only a couple are even real movies, and poverty row quickies at that (not that there's anything wrong with a poverty row quickie).

This just underlines why we need a 55 minute rule. A line has to be drawn somewhere that will mean people watch actual movies. It shouldn't be that hard to find actual honest-to-flying-spaghetti-monster movies and not rely on loopholes and exceptions and whatever detritus can be dug up. The handful of worthwhile short films that are out there can be watched using the wild cards. That's what they are there for. I watched a bunch of short films for my wild cards last year including 4 hours worth of Horror trailers I personally compiled for a movie marathon. Got a poverty row quickie like Kino's Maniac at 53-54 minutes? Go ahead and count it, it's close enough. Again, this is just an excuse to watch a bunch of Horror movies, and 100 is just an arbitrary goal. If you are loading up on crap just because it is 40 minutes or slightly more just for high numbers, you are missing the whole point of this challenge.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 08:31 AM
  #145  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
I'm not a "he."

There's no "heavy metal soundtrack," but yes, the "public domain monstrosity" I have is 45 minutes long. I wasn't aware it wasn't the "true version" because every time I've seen it on one of the movie compilations in stores, it's been 45 minutes long. I didn't research the matter farther and this is the version I've watched many times.

I've never called "Vampires Lesbos" "Lez Vampires." I call that film by its proper name. The "Les Vampires" I watched last year as part of the challenge was 51 minutes long. Again, it was on a "public domain monstrosity" disc. It was suggested to me last year in the discussion thread as a silent movie I could watch to fulfill the silent film requirement, and that was the first time I heard of it, so I searched online and bought a cheap movie compilation disc that had a copy of this movie included. I watched it last year for the challenge and discussed it with people, and no one bothered to mention to me that it was some kind of truncated version. The point of my post was that the 60 minute rule excludes some movies that I think should count.

As Mr. Peepers said:

So what 40 - 59 minute movies upsets enough people so we can't watch them? If they're movies and they're horror, I don't see what the problem is. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean we should automatically disqualify them. They're horror movies and this is a horror movie challenge. If someone doesn't want to watch them then don't, someone else might.


Yes. This is what I was trying to say. You said it better. I didn't know that trying to include examples of movies that weren't 60 minutes long was going to lead to an argument about movie lengths.
No argument. You listed 2 movies that are way over 60 minutes in a thread with Horror fanatics so we were going to catch that. I can't say I've seen all 7 hours (10 episodes) of Les Vampires, but you neeeeeeed to see the proper Nosferatu, though. Forty-five minutes sounds like an abortion.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 09:49 AM
  #146  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
amateur shot-on-camcorder productions
They're still horror movies no matter who or how they're made. If someone doesn't want to watch them because they're shorter compared to mainstream, theatrically run movies, which doesn't automatically make they not horror or not entertaining.

Why should we exclude The Norliss Tapes? It was a failed pilot but it's been "repackaged" into it's own horror movie.

We aren't talking about including items that aren't movies, we're talking about excluded horror movies from a horror movie challenge because even though they fall within the Academy rules for a movie, certain people don't want others to watch them. I don't agree with that.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 02:29 PM
  #147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
No argument. You listed 2 movies that are way over 60 minutes in a thread with Horror fanatics so we were going to catch that. I can't say I've seen all 7 hours (10 episodes) of Les Vampires, but you neeeeeeed to see the proper Nosferatu, though. Forty-five minutes sounds like an abortion.
But you say "we were going to catch that" like it was intentional on my part; like I was sneaking in movies I knew weren't legit and trying to get away with something. Last year I watched the version of "Les Vampires" I found (which, after checking, must contain only the first episode) and not one person said "Hey, that's got 10 episodes and it's hours long, you must have some kind of truncated version," and I watched Nosferatu and listed the running time, and again, no one said anything. Now, a year later, I mentioned these movies again in a discussion to indicate that I think some shorter movies should be included in this year's challenge, and I get jabbed with some unnecessary comments indicating that I wouldn't notice that something with a heavy metal soundtrack wasn't the original "Nosferatu," and that I wouldn't know the actual title of Jess Franco's "Vampires Lesbos" and would call it "Lez Vampires." That isn't even the only movie with lesbian vampires, so I don't know where the jab came from, and I think it's silly and overly argumentative, but the whole tone of these posts is getting too overly argumentative for my taste. In my opinion, if something is released as a feature and it's intended as a standalone movie, it should count even if it's under 60 minutes. We're not talking about including episodes of "Are You Afraid of the Dark" here. We shouldn't have to use "wildcards" for those features that are under 55 minutes, because if they're intended as standalone features, they're not "wildcards," they're movies. The Master's of Horror installments are also intended as "movies," as someone pointed out from the wording in their very description. If you don't want to watch them, that's fine, but I don't think that means other people shouldn't be allowed to watch them. Your very wording is questionable. You say "the few legitimate horror films under 55 minutes" could be covered with wildcards, but first, that doesn't make sense because if they're legitimate shorter horror films, why should they be wildcards? Wildcards are for including anything that isn't a horror movie, not for listing a horror movie that some people don't feel is legitimate because it's shorter.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 02:41 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,415
Bottom line, the rules are clear. Movies count, stand-alone documentaries count, all viewings must be >= 40 minutes. Changing the rule from 40 minutes to 55 minutes or 60 minutes will accomplish nothing except exclude some movies people have the right to watch in the challenge. A movie is a movie and a stand-alone documentary is a stand-alone documentary. Changing the rule wouldn't actually preventing anyone from doing anything shady since since it is covered by the other rules.

Last edited by Numes; 09-11-08 at 02:56 PM.
Numes is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 02:49 PM
  #149  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by Numes View Post
Bottom line, the rules are clear. Movies count, stand-alone documentaries count, all viewings must be >= 40 minutes. Changing the rule from 40 minutes to 55 minutes or 60 minutes shouldn't matter. A movie is a movie and a stand-alone documentary is a stand-alone documentary. Changing the rule wouldn't actually preventing anyone from doing anything shady since since it is covered by the other rules.
Changing the rule to 55 minutes does count, since it then excludes all movies that are under 55 minutes. We're not talking about documentaries (at least I'm not) I'm talking about movies that are under 55 minutes but over 40 minutes, movies that counted last year, movies some of us like to watch, not to "get away" with anything but because they're horror and we enjoy horror, movies that suddenly wouldn't count this year because other people don't want us to watch them.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-11-08, 02:54 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,415
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
Changing the rule to 55 minutes does count, since it then excludes all movies that are under 55 minutes. We're not talking about documentaries (at least I'm not) I'm talking about movies that are under 55 minutes but over 40 minutes, movies that counted last year, movies some of us like to watch, not to "get away" with anything but because they're horror and we enjoy horror, movies that suddenly wouldn't count this year because other people don't want us to watch them.
Ok, my wording wasn't clear. I was in 100% agreement with you. I meant changing the time shouldn't matter to preventing anyone from doing anything shady... I.e. it will accomplish nothing except exclude some movies people have the right to watch in the challenge.
Numes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.