Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-09-08, 09:38 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Darth Maher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Haddonfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,236
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
No disrespect intended to the other challenges, but this is the premiere movie challenge and it should be held to a higher standard. 100 Horror Movies in the month of October. Then let it be just that. No Docs, no commentaries, no TV, no BS.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but why do we hold the "standards" for this challenge so sacred as opposed to other challenges? There are almost as many Halloween specials as there are Christmas specials nowadays. To exclude them kind of takes the fun out of it... for me anyway.

As I've stated before, I'll go with whatever the majority agrees upon. But you mentioned that nobody wants to "break the status quo" so I thought I'd voice my opinion in case others felt the same way as I do. If not, so be it...

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-09-08 at 09:39 AM. Reason: I'm post #101... neato!
Darth Maher is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 10:13 AM
  #102  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,063
Relax people! There are only a handful of 40-60 minute movies. Why care if someone watches a few of them? It's not a contest, it's a challenge. Let people watch what they want to watch.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:27 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 4,515
Chad

I'm willing to donate a few of my lightly used horror movies to a randomly selected participant like I did last year. Not sure what I'll send out, but last year I had 3 I was dying to give away (don't remember who you had me send those to)

Let me know.
SpaceBoy is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 02:42 PM
  #104  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 835
I'll be back this year, I am however skipping the Masters of Horror, documentaries, and what have you. I'm sticking with feature length horror films until I can take no more. I doubt I will match last year's run, but I will hit 100 for sure with a wishful thinking goal of over 200.
FusionX is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 03:05 PM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
I'm willing to donate some gently used movies as well.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 04:43 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Relax people! There are only a handful of 40-60 minute movies. Why care if someone watches a few of them?
While there may only be a handful of 40-60 minute movies, there are an endless number of 40-60 minute featurettes, which should not be included, as they are simply not movies, period. Making the required minimum length be one hour would eliminate any possible argument or controversy during the challenge regarding which films can or cannot be included. It would be a moot point, and one less bone of contention between participants. Setting the length at one hour would make any future disagreements about featurettes, tv shows, Masters of Horror episodes, etc. utterly nonexistent.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-09-08 at 04:48 PM.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 04:56 PM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
My only problem with he length limit is that it would exclude Nosferatu and Les Vampires, and those are two awesome movies that everyone should try to watch, but they're under 60 minutes.
edwardnortonfan is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 05:15 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,728
What Nosferatu are you watching? Mine is 82 minutes for the Image and 94 for the Kino. Also, Les Vampires is something like 6 hours long, if you are talking about the silent.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 05:25 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
What Nosferatu are you watching?
He probably has some butchered public domain monstrosity with a metal/goth soundtrack, there are unfortunately several of those floating around.

Also, Les Vampires is something like 6 hours long, if you are talking about the silent.
It also has nothing to do with vampires. If he means "Lez Vampires", as in sleazemaster Jesus Franco's Vampiros Lesbos, that's way over an hour as well.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 06:09 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,900
Originally Posted by poster mayhem View Post
I want a clearer definition on what documentaries are viable. Most of the legacy sets from Universal include informative docs that are at or above the 42 minute mark and aren't fluff.

What about something like American Movie an alleged documentary about the making of a short horror film?

I just want this to be clear up front.
Basically a stand-alone documentary that isn't a featurette produced exclusively for a film's DVD as supplemental material ...if that makes any sense. American movie wouldn't qualify because the making of Coven is not the primary focus of the documentary - it's more about Mark Borchardt's life and struggle to become an independent filmmaker.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 06:13 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but why do we hold the "standards" for this challenge so sacred as opposed to other challenges? There are almost as many Halloween specials as there are Christmas specials nowadays. To exclude them kind of takes the fun out of it... for me anyway.

As I've stated before, I'll go with whatever the majority agrees upon. But you mentioned that nobody wants to "break the status quo" so I thought I'd voice my opinion in case others felt the same way as I do. If not, so be it...
The other challenges aren't as well represented theatrically as Horror and need all the help they can get. Holiday is mostly TV and shorts, really. It's also more nebulous, since it's any film that takes place during a holiday, whether or not it is intrinsic to the plot. Oscar challenge should really be all features, but short films apparently count since they win Oscars, too. Sci Fi is well represented, but it's also intrinsically tied to television. When you say Sci Fi, the first image that pops into everyone's head is Star Trek. There's just too much SF TV to justify an outright ban. Plus, there's almost a geek factor that requires something as obsessive as watching whole seasons as part of a challenge. Horror TV doesn't have the same cachet. Even when there is a Horror TV show, it's usually anthology type shows, with a few notable exceptions. Why not keep Horror pure?
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 06:31 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,900
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I thought we were going to drop the Docs this year and go with a 60 minute minimum? There are barely a handful of sub 60 minute feature films, other than a few poverty row quickies that are missing footage, so there is no real reason to even have a 40 minute rule. It's an archaic rule that makes no sense in any context. The "Academy" would NEVER seriously consider a 45 minute film for any feature award. The rule is actually there to define a short film as one less than 40 minutes rather than truly define a feature.
I honestly don't recall us officially deciding on anything. And I don't necessarily disagree with you that the 40-minute rule is a bit outdated by today's standards, but that's what's there and it's something to refer to.

Besides, the fact remains that their are some under 60-minute horror films. For example, 1943's The Mysterious Doctor clocks in at 57 minutes. Why exclude those films even if there are just a handful?

And, of course, you've forced me to bring up MOH. Showtime's website even describes them as such:

Watch the Masters of Horror on Showtime - movies directed by horror film legends like Brad Anderson, Ernest Dickerson, Tom Holland, Dario Argento, ...

Don't want to reignite that debate, but agree or not, I don't see a reason to deny anyone that chance.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
well what about masters of horror episodes...they run around 55 minutes and i still feel they should be able to count.
There you go. Why deny this man the chance to see his MOH? I see absolutely no reason.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 06:39 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,728
Ok, then. 55 minutes accomplishes about the same thing as 60 minutes. It knocks out featurettes and simplifies the rules. The thing is, I've never heard anyone really praise MOH. It's always left-handed compliments when it does get something positive said about it.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 06:48 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,900
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy View Post
Chad

I'm willing to donate a few of my lightly used horror movies to a randomly selected participant like I did last year. Not sure what I'll send out, but last year I had 3 I was dying to give away (don't remember who you had me send those to)

Let me know.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
I'm willing to donate some gently used movies as well.
Thank you both! Just please hold tight for another day because I was planning on bringing up the prize situation tomorrow.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 09:12 PM
  #115  
DVD & Video Game Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,486
Guys, are we counting Elephant Man and Perfume?
gryffinmaster is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 10:18 PM
  #116  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 79
I asked for a clarification to be clear, personally...

I'm fine with a month of no commentaries or documentaries (or if I choose to watch them they're on my time, not a part of the challenge).

I just wanted some clarification. I wasn't sure what counted as a horror doc.

The concept that the doc must be released on it's own and is not a part of a DVD package makes perfect sense to me. It's the same argument that I make in favor of Masters of Horror vs. Buffy, etc.
poster mayhem is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:04 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,883
So what 40 - 59 minute movies upsets enough people so we can't watch them? If they're movies and they're horror, I don't see what the problem is. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean we should automatically disqualify them. They're horror movies and this is a horror movie challenge. If someone doesn't want to watch them then don't, someone else might.
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:18 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,728
Remember, you can use your Wild Card for non-conforming material.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:36 PM
  #119  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,063
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
So what 40 - 59 minute movies upsets enough people so we can't watch them? If they're movies and they're horror, I don't see what the problem is. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean we should automatically disqualify them. They're horror movies and this is a horror movie challenge. If someone doesn't want to watch them then don't, someone else might.
Agreed. 40 minutes is fine. Movies only, no documentaries unless they are separately released.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:39 PM
  #120  
Senior Member
 
Surfinhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 864
I did this challenge for the first time last year and had a blast. I could care less about winning (or the prizes). I'm starting to pull things out to watch this year and I'm noticing I have a lot of TV series that are horror related that I'd love to watch (Blade, Masters of Horror, American Gothic, Forever Knight, etc). Are people going to freak out and ban me from the forum if I put more than the 3 "allowed" so-called wild card titles on my list?
Surfinhank is offline  
Old 09-09-08, 11:42 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
I did this challenge for the first time last year and had a blast. I could care less about winning (or the prizes). I'm starting to pull things out to watch this year and I'm noticing I have a lot of TV series that are horror related that I'd love to watch (Blade, Masters of Horror, American Gothic, Forever Knight, etc). Are people going to freak out and ban me from the forum if I put more than the 3 "allowed" so-called wild card titles on my list?
Feel free to put them on your list, just don't count them as part of your total.
NoirFan is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 12:21 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,728
Here's the thing, with a 55 minute rule, it allows in legitimate theatrically released films as well as made for video films while excluding shorts and featurettes without encumbering the challenge with a bunch of rules and exceptions. There really is no such thing as a 41 minute feature film other than episodic television. That time limit is included in the rules of the Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as a cut-off for short subjects and is really only a default when it describes features (they only have two categories: shorts under 40 minutes and features). Anything above that approaches feature length and the market takes care of that itself by insisting films be at least an hour (back in the double feature days) and perhaps 70 minutes today (I can't think of a movie in the past 30 years under 70 minutes counting credits), so the Academy doesn't need a specific rule slightly longer films. Some poverty row programmers managed to survive in slightly less than 60 minute prints, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Really, anything that would count will be about 55 minutes, anyway, so it's almost a moot point to have it or not have it. With it just makes the rest easier. Also, we don't have to be strict. If you have a programmer on one of those 50 movie sets that is 53 minutes, go ahead and list it. The rule is meant to be a simple cutoff rather than an absolute law. 55 minutes should allow in MOH while excluding TV shows.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 09:00 AM
  #123  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,063
On the time rule, does anyone have any specific horror films that are less than 55 minutes? I'm sure there are some out there, and if they are horror, and above 40 minutes, they should count. I doubt there are enough of them to bother changing the rule.
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 12:35 PM
  #124  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: new england
Posts: 52
These films (used a bit loosely) are all between 41 and 54 minutes according to imdb and/or my own notes - both of which may well be wrong.

Blood: The Last Vampire
Boy from Hell / Jigoku Kozo
Call of Cthulhu
Dead Girl Walking
Death Train / Kyofu Ressha
Digital Devil Monogatari Megami Tensei
Down to Hell
Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Signalman
Ghost Story for Christmas: The Stalls of Barchester
Ghost Story for Christmas: Treasure of Abbot Thomas
Ghost Story for Christmas: A Warning to the Curious
Guinea Pig: Android of Notre Dame
Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment
Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Guinea Pig: Devil Woman Doctor
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Death Make
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Diet
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: House of Bugs
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Present
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Snake Girl
Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: The Wish
Living Dead Lock Up 2: March of the Dead
Masters of Horror: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
Mother Tree [Kaidan Chibusu Enoki: Ghost of Chibusu Enoki]
Omnibus: Whistle and I'll Come to You
Shadows in the Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy
Torched
konekonoir is offline  
Old 09-10-08, 12:52 PM
  #125  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 592
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Fear Uncertainty Doubt FUD
Thanks. A useful term to know...
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
well what about masters of horror episodes...they run around 55 minutes and i still feel they should be able to count.
That's not about length, it's because they are seen as episodes of a series.
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but why do we hold the "standards" for this challenge so sacred as opposed to other challenges? There are almost as many Halloween specials as there are Christmas specials nowadays. To exclude them kind of takes the fun out of it... for me anyway.
This is the only challenge which has the word "Movie" in the name, for starters. No one says you can't watch specials, MOH etc. as your wildcards, but the main focus of the Challenge has always been movies.
Shack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.