DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/538819-100-movies-31-days-4th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

edwardnortonfan 10-06-08 09:57 PM

I really liked "Dolls" too. Forgot about that one. I heard Dagon was good. I'll have to check that one out.

Pizza 10-06-08 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan (Post 8988055)
"Castle Freak" is the first movie I saw where I could tolerate Jeffrey Combs and I didn't want to kill him.

Yes. I can see how Jeffrey Combs can be an acquired taste, much like Bruce Campbell. They both have distinctive, over-the-top acting styles.

Chad 10-06-08 10:14 PM

So, after watching "Tombs of the Blind Dead" (uncut version) I browsed the extras and found:

A cut version of TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD was released in the U.S. under the title REVENGE OF THE PLANET APE in an effort to capitalize on the success of PLANET OF THE APES.

It's amazing how those drive-in distributors would market films just do to make a quick buck! But seriously, who in their right mind would mistake the blind undead Knights Templar for zombie monkeys?! :lol:

Darth Maher 10-06-08 10:54 PM

Since I've finally, "officially" started the challenge (better late than never), I figured I'd take this opportunity to shamelessly promote my Horror Tribute Videos!

Feel free to check them out at your leisure.

WARNING: ALL OF THE TRIBUTES CONTAIN SPOILERS TO THE MOVIES THAT ARE FEATURED IN THE VIDEOS.

A Tribute to Freddy Krueger

A Tribute to Jason Voorhees

THE DEAD WALK! A Tribute to George A. Romero and the "Dead" Series

And if you like Poltergeist, you might like Bathroom Attack.

And... if you are interested in seeing how I decorated for Halloween several years ago, check this out...
Spooktacular! Spooktacular!!: The Beginning

Giles 10-07-08 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 8988147)
So, after watching "Tombs of the Blind Dead" (uncut version) I browsed the extras and found:

A cut version of TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD was released in the U.S. under the title REVENGE OF THE PLANET APE in an effort to capitalize on the success of PLANET OF THE APES.

It's amazing how those drive-in distributors would market films just do to make a quick buck! But seriously, who in their right mind would mistake the blind undead Knights Templar for zombie monkeys?! :lol:

I saw that too, those skulls at times DO look like scrunched up ape faces ... ;)

:lol:

Dick Laurent 10-07-08 08:35 AM

So... is anyone watching The Happening as part of their list? I'm at work and don't have the time to express how much I loathe the film, but I cannot deny the effects of the death scenes. Very well done. I know M. Night says he tried to make a bad B-horror film, and I think we all know how well that turned out.

Any comments? I'm on the fence, myself.

Giles 10-07-08 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 8988721)
So... is anyone watching The Happening as part of their list? I'm at work and don't have the time to express how much I loathe the film, but I cannot deny the effects of the death scenes. Very well done. I know M. Night says he tried to make a bad B-horror film, and I think we all know how well that turned out.

Any comments? I'm on the fence, myself.

seen it once, have no desire to ever see it again. It had its moments (i.e, the ludicrous death scenes) but mostly it was just silly IMO.

Trevor 10-07-08 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8988732)
seen it once, have no desire to ever see it again. It had its moments (i.e, the ludicrous death scenes) but mostly it was just silly IMO.

Pretty much my sentiments. It is hard to fathom how far M. Night has fallen. I pretty much loved his first three films, and didn't think The Village was all that bad either. Didn't see LitW yet, but wow, The Happening was just awful.

clckworang 10-07-08 09:03 AM

Just watched Blood and Black Lace and really loved it! I had seen a couple of Bava films before, but I thought this one was a cut above. Participating in this has given me an excuse to finally catch up on some titles that I have neglected for far too long.

But it has also been fun to introduce people to classics for the first time. I have given some people their first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dead Alive, Night of the Living Dead and Nightmare on Elm Street experiences, though my friend could only stay for 30 minutes of Nightmare (she went home with my old copy, though :)). How great is that?!

wishbone 10-07-08 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Numes (Post 8986860)
Let's be honest. Hardly anyone is going to go for this. A lot of people have unique formatting and I think it's one thing that makes the lists interesting. For instance, wishbone (I think that's the users name) has a very simple, yet interesting table structure that I think is cool, but I also like my format and how I do comments and stuff.

Thanks Numes! I like your list too -- it is easy to read and the format has a pro look to it. :D

riotinmyskull 10-07-08 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 8988791)
But it has also been fun to introduce people to classics for the first time. I have given some people their first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dead Alive, Night of the Living Dead and Nightmare on Elm Street experiences, though my friend could only stay for 30 minutes of Nightmare (she went home with my old copy, though :)). How great is that?!

last halloween night i had some friends over and we watched SLEEPAWAY CAMP, most of which had never seen or heard of it. boy were they freaked out by the ending.

Dick Laurent 10-07-08 09:50 AM

wishbone - I like yours as well, but I can't really read the titles with the light grey background. It may just be my I.E. Have you considered darkening the title letters for those cells?

Cardsfan111 10-07-08 11:28 AM

I don't recall if this has been posted, but Cinemark theaters has a Saw marathon lined up on October 23, wrapping up with the newest movie just after midnight. Sounds pretty cool.

Saw marathon

Giles 10-07-08 01:33 PM

question: are any of the Hellraiser films, after Part III any good, I had no idea the series is up to movie number 8?

clckworang 10-07-08 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8989510)
question: are any of the Hellraiser films, after Part III any good, I had no idea the series is up to movie number 8?

Good question. I've only seen one or two of the sequels and I'm borrowing the entire series to watch this month. I hope that I can tell you something after this weekend.

poster mayhem 10-07-08 01:51 PM

The series definately goes downhill fast especially. Eventually the stories just become cheap supernatural murder/mysteries with only a few minutes of Pinhead thrown in to justify the name Hellraiser.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-07-08 01:56 PM

The one with the main girl from the first and second one and the guy from OZ isn't that bad. I can stand 1, 2, 4, and the one I previously mentioned.

Giles 10-07-08 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 8989607)
The one with the main girl from the first and second one and the guy from OZ isn't that bad. I can stand 1, 2, 4, and the one I previously mentioned.

so Part 4 and which one?

riotinmyskull 10-07-08 02:26 PM

is anyone going to complain if i include THE DEAD ZONE on my list? i'm in the middle of a cronenberg marathon. imdb lists it as drama/fantasy/horror.

poster mayhem 10-07-08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 8989607)

It was nice to see Ashley Laurence back in the series, too bad she didn't have more to do in the film.

And I don't mean to completely badmouth the series. even many of the lesser films have their moments, I just wish they were a little more pinhead centric.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-07-08 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8989673)
so Part 4 and which one?

How dare you make me look things up that I give vague descriptions of ;)

Hellraiser: Hellseeker

It's more of a mystery movie that has the Hellraiser name. I thought it was ok, especially compared to part 5 which had quotes on the box praising it while not saying who said them.

Dick Laurent 10-07-08 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan (Post 8945316)
People say Boll is bad, but I liked "Seed," and "Bloodrayne" was dumb fun.

I have an opportunity to watch Seed, and wanted to know if it's worth it. Reviews are very mixed; some love it, others are disgusted. I'm most concerned with the dog torture footage in the beginning. Is it really bad? I don't want to just be revolted the whole movie. It would fill my Uwe Boll slot, though.

brainee 10-07-08 03:03 PM

I didn't even realize there was such a thing as FEARNET until I saw people saying they could watch "Midnight Meat Train" on it. And then, digging into the deep channels of my Time-Warner digital service ... I discover I have it too (buried in one of the "In Demand" channels) :banana: I hadn't been keeping up with the "In Demand" channels, because the last few times I've checked, all they had were replays of stuff that was in heavy rotation in the regular channels.

edwardnortonfan 10-07-08 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 8989769)
I have an opportunity to watch Seed, and wanted to know if it's worth it. Reviews are very mixed; some love it, others are disgusted. I'm most concerned with the dog torture footage in the beginning. Is it really bad? I don't want to just be revolted the whole movie. It would fill my Uwe Boll slot, though.

The dog torture footage is purportedly real, and it's really bad. It's only in the beginning of the film, but we almost turned it off. You might want to fast forward through the first five to ten minutes, since you won't miss anything important to the movie. That's only thrown in for shock, I don't care what anyone says about how it's supposedly important to the plot, you don't need to see that footage to get the movie.

vcuram 10-07-08 04:15 PM

I know this is horror blasphemy, but I think Suspiria is highly overrated. The build-up to the end is well done, but then the ending happens within a few minutes and doesn't really follow the suspense built by the rest of the movie. The really bright colors bothered me too. They just looked very unreal, as did the blood throughout the movie. I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the film was average.