Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 06:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
How do you get films from 1890, 1900, 1910 for you checklist? I searched 1890 on imdb, and all of the films that were horror, were very short.
You're not reading our lists apparently Links to them in some of the posts.

Almost all films from those decades were short, some even only seconds long.

Just use them as wildcards or don't number them at all, but they'll still count for the checklist.
Old 10-05-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
For some reason, I thought Caligari was from 1919, but it was 1920. Got to find something else for 1910 now. All the horror silents I have are from 1920 onward.
Old 10-05-08, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I have a couple of movies I was wondering about whether or not they would classify as horror. Here is my list to yay or nay:
The Rapture (1991)
The Bone Collector
Brotherhood of The Wolf
The City of Lost Children
Edmond

thanks for your help...
Old 10-05-08, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
For some reason, I thought Caligari was from 1919, but it was 1920. Got to find something else for 1910 now. All the horror silents I have are from 1920 onward.
Original Frankenstein is 1910 and all over the internet, youtube.
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
OK I have a couple of movies I was wondering about whether or not they would classify as horror. Here is my list to yay or nay:
The Rapture (1991)
The Bone Collector
Brotherhood of The Wolf
Edmond

thanks for your help...
I'd say yes on Bone Collector and most definitely on Brotherhood of the Wolf (a fantastic film). Haven't seen others.
Old 10-05-08, 08:37 PM

Sorry to have another question, but I picked up a Hitchcock Dollar DVD at walmart about a year ago, and still haven't watched it, are any of these horror?

Jamaica Inn
Sabotage
The 39 Steps
Easy Virtue

Thanks
Old 10-05-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Original Frankenstein is 1910 and all over the internet, youtube.
You know, I was telling myself that I needed to watch that one and then I completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-05-08, 08:42 PM
Banned

I would say NO to the Hitchcock's listed above. I personally wouldn't classify very many of his films to be Horror outside of Frenzy , The Birds, and Psycho.
Old 10-05-08, 09:01 PM

I would say NO to the Hitchcock's listed above. I personally wouldn't classify very many of his films to be Horror outside of Frenzy , The Birds, and Psycho.
I'm nowhere close to where I want to be in Hitchcock knowledge, but in my limited experience, that sounds about right.

But then, I'm all for liberal interpretations, so if someone find them scary, I'd be okay with counting most of his thrillers.

I wouldn't blind watch them hoping they'd count, except for the three Chris mentioned.
Old 10-05-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm stating my own feelings on each film and not rating it on how the majority feel it should fit in the cosmos of horror films. In cinema watching, not everyone loves Gone with the Wind or Titanic. And in the horror world, I would believe not everyone loves Night of the Living Dead or The Cat People. Some people love gore, some love a complicated plot and some love a fast pace. I like it all but I do tend to like monsters, vampires and such.

I'm also keeping my rating of a film simple: Either I liked it or not.
I'm going with my own feelings approach. No real rating. I think ratings sway people from watching something for themselves, just because someone else didn't rate it well. Of course my biting words for the films I don't like probably don't help much either...
Old 10-05-08, 09:15 PM

I'm nowhere close to where I want to be in Hitchcock knowledge, but in my limited experience, that sounds about right.

But then, I'm all for liberal interpretations, so if someone find them scary, I'd be okay with counting most of his thrillers.

I wouldn't blind watch them hoping they'd count, except for the three Chris mentioned.
Alright Thanks Chris and Trevor, I haven't watched any hitchcock flicks, and had only really heard of Pyscho and the Birds. I guess I will watch those in November
Old 10-05-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Kudos to Trevor for finishing the bingo card, and being the first.

On an unrelated note. Last night I was asleep, and woke up when my cat jumped on my leg. The exact moment I woke up, a bug landed on my ear and flew into the hole. I could hear the friggen thing flapping its wings, and it sounded like I was being attacked by a giant moth. I ended up having this thing in my ear for about a half hour, until I snorted nasal spay in my nose, and it most have turned around, cause it imediatly flew out.
Old 10-05-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One could maybe make an argument for a couple of other films, but the only other one that I could think of that I wouldn't argue against would be The Lodger, one of his silent films. It's about a landlady who suspects her lodger is a serial killer. Maybe others wouldn't consider it, though.
Old 10-05-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Rapture (1991)
The Bone Collector
Brotherhood of The Wolf
Edmond

thanks for your help...
I second The Bone Collector and, for sure, Brotherhood of the Wolf. I would say no to The City of Lost Children (a wonderful movie, FWIW.) I haven't seen the others.
Old 10-05-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly. I have seen quite a few of Hitchcock's movies, but I can't speak for everything. Of what I've seen, only the ones mentioned above are horror.
Old 10-05-08, 10:45 PM

Wow, anyone see Zombie Strippers? Geez it's bad...
Old 10-05-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
So bad it's awesome or so bad you can barely sit through it? If you look at my list, you'll see I like bad movies. I haven't even started with any Herschell Gordon Lewis yet!
Old 10-05-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
The Rapture (1991)
The Bone Collector
Brotherhood of The Wolf
Edmond

thanks for your help...
I've seen all of these ... and I think you're fine with Bone Collector, Brotherhood of the Wolf, and Edmond. The other two are great movies though (the best of this bunch IMO).

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
Sorry to have another question, but I picked up a Hitchcock Dollar DVD at walmart about a year ago, and still haven't watched it, are any of these horror?

Jamaica Inn
Sabotage
The 39 Steps
Easy Virtue

Thanks
None of these are remotely close to horror. 2 spy thrillers, a crime drama, and a domestic melodrama.
Old 10-05-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Would you say Dust Devil is better/worse/equal to most direct to video horror movies, like the ones from Asylum?
Oh, definitely better. I still think it's a pretty good flick, just not anything special. It isn't "Alien Vs. Hunter" or anything.
Old 10-05-08, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
I did, and I quite enjoyed myself. No, it isn't a very good "movie", but entertaining as hell. IMO, of course.
Old 10-05-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did an IMDB search for X rated horror movies, and I was surprised to see that one of them I watched was rated X. Even more surprising because it was ridiculously silly. I was also surprised that a few Herschell Gordon Lewis films were given X ratings originally. And I don't know how strict we're going to get. Some were rated X and then re-rated later.

If anyone wants to do a search, you can go here: http://www.imdb.com/list

I just chose the genre and put in USA:X for Rating Certificate. Happy hunting!

Edit to add: Can't remember if anyone has mentioned this one already or not, but I was just looking through my horror DVDs and found that I had one G rated flick: the original version of The Haunting. So that's a good option for those looking for a G rating.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-06-08 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-06-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I'm looking through On Demand and I see Grindhouse (Theatrical Double-Feature release with trailers). My first thought was I should watch Planet Terror and Death Proof separately, so I get two movies for the challenge count. Is that just wrong?

I ended up watching it. Love those trailers.

-beebs
Old 10-06-08, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I did an IMDB search for X rated horror movies, and I was surprised to see that one of them I watched was rated X. Even more surprising because it was ridiculously silly. I was also surprised that a few Herschell Gordon Lewis films were given X ratings originally. And I don't know how strict we're going to get. Some were rated X and then re-rated later.

If anyone wants to do a search, you can go here: http://www.imdb.com/list

I just chose the genre and put in USA:X for Rating Certificate. Happy hunting!

Edit to add: Can't remember if anyone has mentioned this one already or not, but I was just looking through my horror DVDs and found that I had one G rated flick: the original version of The Haunting. So that's a good option for those looking for a G rating.
Great catch.
Old 10-06-08, 05:10 AM

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for so bad it's good but I guess Zombie Strippers fits that description. It had some interesting moment, one involves two strippers and a pool ball O_o

On another note just finishing off The Morgue (2008) before work and my god this is just bad. The editing alone makes no sense. That or I was dozing off and mere seconds seem to have been cut. Early on a girl is laying in a coffin, she sits up and turns and gets off except when she turns she teleports to the floor but it's obviously a bad edit and they continue on from there. The plot is senseless and the acting, oh my...

After work is Feast 2, hopefully it's better than this and the first...
Old 10-06-08, 06:13 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
So I'm looking through On Demand and I see Grindhouse (Theatrical Double-Feature release with trailers). My first thought was I should watch Planet Terror and Death Proof separately, so I get two movies for the challenge count. Is that just wrong?

I ended up watching it. Love those trailers.

-beebs
Even though they are packaged together, they should be two movies on lists.
Old 10-06-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ughhh... I had all last week off, back to work now. I'll be lucky if I get in one movie a night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.