Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-05-08, 01:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
another family friendly option?

You might be able to push Disney's Witch Mountain series as horror. Haven't seen them in years, but maybe?

Loved those two films as a kid, haven't seen them in 30 years probably.
Old 10-05-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Disney's "Watcher in the Woods" is very worthwhile - and a no-doubt-about-it horror movie.
Old 10-05-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Disney's "Watcher in the Woods" is very worthwhile - and a no-doubt-about-it horror movie.
Holy crap that movie scared me as a kid. I couldn't finish it then, and just seeing those words sends shivers down my spine... you brought back some long repressed memories!
Old 10-05-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 196 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I've hit 22, but my Zenith portable DVD player is giving up the ghost, might have to buy a new one, either today or tomorrow
I know the feeling - looks like the 2 second freezes I've been experiencing on my TiVo points to hard drive failure. And this is the same unit that I had to replace the power adapter on a couple of challenges back.
Old 10-05-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, between the Phillies game and the Eagles game being on at the SAME FREAKIN' TIME, I gotta wait a few hours before I pop in another flick. It's annoying. Damn the real world for frackin' with me. I haven't watched as much as some others, but I'm still having a ball doing it.

..and this coming from a guy who watches Horror like, all the time.
Old 10-05-08, 02:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Last year, I even skipped days here and there and still made 103. Just keep an eye on your pacing.
Old 10-05-08, 02:35 PM

Rating films

A lot of us are rating the films we watch here, and I'm curious as to what goes into the ratings you all give.

Do you rate on entertainment value? "Quality" of the film (technical, educational, etc)? Combination of all things?

I think I tend to rate films as a combination of everything, but heavily weighted towards the technical quality of the film.

For example, I could think that a film is brilliantly made on all levels, and rate it a 10 out of 10, yet never want to watch it again. I could find it totally void of entertainment, or be philosophically opposed to it's message, or disgusted by it.

Am I making sense?

Or do most of you rate films of how entertained you are by it, and how likely you are to re-watch it?

At a loss trying to think of an example of course, but Man Bites Dog sort of works and fits this thread. It's a well made film. I think I understand the concepts and ideas that the filmmakers were trying to convey, think the acting is quite good, and have very few complaints of a technical nature. I'd rate the film at least a 7/10, probably more. However, I don't think I'll ever watch it again.
Old 10-05-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
Wow, between the Phillies game and the Eagles game being on at the SAME FREAKIN' TIME, I gotta wait a few hours before I pop in another flick. It's annoying. Damn the real world for frackin' with me. I haven't watched as much as some others, but I'm still having a ball doing it.

..and this coming from a guy who watches Horror like, all the time.
I love that you classify the Phillies and Eagles as "real world" ... not something like your job or family

Anyway, I won't fight you if you want to file the Eagles game under "horror" (so far, at least)
Old 10-05-08, 02:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
A lot of us are rating the films we watch here, and I'm curious as to what goes into the ratings you all give.

Do you rate on entertainment value? "Quality" of the film (technical, educational, etc)? Combination of all things?

I think I tend to rate films as a combination of everything, but heavily weighted towards the technical quality of the film.

For example, I could think that a film is brilliantly made on all levels, and rate it a 10 out of 10, yet never want to watch it again. I could find it totally void of entertainment, or be philosophically opposed to it's message, or disgusted by it.

Am I making sense?

Or do most of you rate films of how entertained you are by it, and how likely you are to re-watch it?

At a loss trying to think of an example of course, but Man Bites Dog sort of works and fits this thread. It's a well made film. I think I understand the concepts and ideas that the filmmakers were trying to convey, think the acting is quite good, and have very few complaints of a technical nature. I'd rate the film at least a 7/10, probably more. However, I don't think I'll ever watch it again.
You make perfect sense to me and I nearly posed the same question.

I do try to make it a mix between technical and enjoyability because to me ultimately both are important for a film to really be a quality motion picture. However, I have a lot of films that have grown to be favorites for one reason or another be it early memories, favorite actors, anything along those lines that I recognize as being very poorly made films, but I still enjoy them greatly.

Basically if a film impresses me in how it's made and tells a story well it's likely to receive a decent score even if I personally did not enjoy watching it.

One of the big problems I have in rating is I catch myself comparing films in making judgement instead of just judging a film on it's own merits. Meaning sometimes I look over my rating and I notice that two films that I don't feel are the same quality achieve the same rating and sometimes it makes me double think myself, wondering if I should not alter the scores to reflect which film I feel is superior. Sometimes I buckle, but generally I manage to stick to my original convictions.

My other and perhaps bigger problem is I have such a hard time giving a film a perfect score. To me it's so had for a film to be perfect. I have to imagine at some level there's nothing I would ever dream of changing about it and, assuming I wasn't the target audience, also be able to imagine that it would have gotten it's point across to it's desired public be it entertainment, education, enlightenment, etc.

It's a fickle thing at times but almost always worth the effort.
Old 10-05-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love that you classify the Phillies and Eagles as "real world" ... not something like your job or family

Anyway, I won't fight you if you want to file the Eagles game under "horror" (so far, at least)
Then surely I can count the Chiefs game too. I can't believe I just wasted three hours watching them lose 34-0 when I could have added a couple more movies to my list. At least I'm back in now with the 1959 version of The Mummy.
Old 10-05-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I rate, I go by entertainment value. It could be the crappiest looking print and have all sorts of visual flaws because the director sucks, but if I had fun with it I would rate it high.

I don't care how amazing a film looks and sounds, if it's a boring pile of poop, it'll be rated as a boring pile of poop. If I want an technically amazing film, I'll watch an IMAX or something, not one where the plot comes second.
Old 10-05-08, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
Then surely I can count the Chiefs game too.
You watched your favorite team lose 34-0? I vote for a special exception to allow you to count that as one.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
If I rate, I go by entertainment value. It could be the crappiest looking print and have all sorts of visual flaws because the director sucks, but if I had fun with it I would rate it high.

I don't care how amazing a film looks and sounds, if it's a boring pile of poop, it'll be rated as a boring pile of poop. If I want an technically amazing film, I'll watch an IMAX or something, not one where the plot comes second.
Oh, when I said technical aspects I'm not talking at all about video or audio quality, those mean nothing to me. I meant technical as in how the film was made, how the story/message was communicated.

But yes, if I have fun with a movie I'll rate it somewhat high even if all "technical" aspects were crap.

I could ramble on and on about rating films, hopefully I won't.
Old 10-05-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm stating my own feelings on each film and not rating it on how the majority feel it should fit in the cosmos of horror films. In cinema watching, not everyone loves Gone with the Wind or Titanic. And in the horror world, I would believe not everyone loves Night of the Living Dead or The Cat People. Some people love gore, some love a complicated plot and some love a fast pace. I like it all but I do tend to like monsters, vampires and such.

I'm also keeping my rating of a film simple: Either I liked it or not.
Old 10-05-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
Yeah, but it has Jena Malone in it! I'm a huge fan, so that right there sells it for me. I know she's not for everyone...but it's JENA MALONE!
It's funny how a hot babe can make a bad horror movie a good one. I used to try to watch anything with Caroline Munro in it. "Star Crash" is as terrible as they come but Munro makes it so watchable for me.

Last edited by Pizza; 10-05-08 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 03:47 PM

I dont know if this has been asked before, but does SAW "Uncut Edition" count as NC-17? SAW was originally rated NC-17, then editied for R. And the Uncut Edition is the NC-17 version, altough the DVD case says unrated.
Old 10-05-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, when I said technical aspects I'm not talking at all about video or audio quality, those mean nothing to me. I meant technical as in how the film was made, how the story/message was communicated.
I meant that as well as cinematography. I just stated it poorly.

I think Dust Devil falls into that category. When I read reviews about it, they always talk about how great the scenery is which makes me worry about the plot. I'm a little worried about when I get around to watching it but I did get that box set, so I might as well go through it all.
Old 10-05-08, 04:20 PM

Well, my job sucks and my family, well, fuck 'em. They can take care of themselves one month out of the year, and if they can't um, than I just might have to find a family that can.
Old 10-05-08, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980 View Post
I dont know if this has been asked before, but does SAW "Uncut Edition" count as NC-17? SAW was originally rated NC-17, then editied for R. And the Uncut Edition is the NC-17 version, altough the DVD case says unrated.
We're pretty liberal with the checklist, definitely counts.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
I meant that as well as cinematography. I just stated it poorly.

I think Dust Devil falls into that category. When I read reviews about it, they always talk about how great the scenery is which makes me worry about the plot. I'm a little worried about when I get around to watching it but I did get that box set, so I might as well go through it all.
I've been sitting on that Dust Devil 5 disc set myself. This should be the year I finally open that sucker up. I too am worried that it might be really bad.
Old 10-05-08, 04:28 PM

Dust Devil is OK. I'd definitely say to sit on it a little longer. Maybe if you somehow lose all your DVD's in a poker game and that's the only one they didn't take. Well, that and Leonard Part 6. But, alas, Leonard isn't Horror, so I'd say THAT would be the best time to watch Dust Devil.
Old 10-05-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You watched your favorite team lose 34-0? I vote for a special exception to allow you to count that as one.
Thanks. It was rough, as you can imagine. I kept wanting to turn it off and put in another movie, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

As for all this rating business, I don't actually put a score down, but if I did it would be strictly entertainment value. Anything else seems a bit silly to me, but to each their own. I'll stick to just putting a few random thoughts after each film.
Old 10-05-08, 04:56 PM

I'll add the link to my list shortly. Today is my last day off and then I work 3 but they are early days so yay.

I'm almost done with the check list, hope to finish it tonight. Watching Opera now and LOVING it. I highly recommend it. I like it better than Suspiria so far. (I'm was an Argento virgin until the other day)

As for the rating thing I don't do it ehre but at another board I do since I have a running movie watched blog that just gets a number. I rate on enjoyment factor mostly. If no one has seen them, I highly recommend the Night of the Demon films. I personally love the first 2.

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 10-05-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 05:05 PM

Due to time constraints I doubt that I'll view very many horror movies in October. That said, I will checking these posts periodically to add to my list of "movies to watch"/collection. Who knows by next year I'll be more of a contender. One thing is for certain though, as we get closer to Halloween I''ll have a few horror flicks scheduled.
Old 10-05-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
Dust Devil is OK. I'd definitely say to sit on it a little longer. Maybe if you somehow lose all your DVD's in a poker game and that's the only one they didn't take. Well, that and Leonard Part 6. But, alas, Leonard isn't Horror, so I'd say THAT would be the best time to watch Dust Devil.
I bought Leonard last week for $3 at Big Lots last weekend. Yes, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.

Would you say Dust Devil is better/worse/equal to most direct to video horror movies, like the ones from Asylum?
Old 10-05-08, 05:59 PM

How do you get films from 1890, 1900, 1910 for you checklist? I searched 1890 on imdb, and all of the films that were horror, were very short.
Old 10-05-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I making sense?

I rate my films a little bit on everything. Plot is very important, entertainment factor is important (and can overrule plot...sometimes). Music is also important to me. Not so much that the movie must have music, but at the points that it does, it makes sense and is right for the movie. There have been a few of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies that have opened with ridiculous songs and it immediately takes me out of the experience. Special effects are not a big deal, unless the movie was made as a point to focus on special effects. Acting also is a big part. In Wishmaster, for example, the main character is perfect for the part and can make a movie much more enjoyable even if the supporting cast is not at his/her level.

I almost never give a movie a 10/10. There are only a handful of movies that I have reserved for 10/10. I do tend to overthink my ratings and compare them with other movies I have rated. However, for this challenge, since the genre is the same for all the movies, I feel like I can use my previous ratings to influence my rating of a particular movie. Once you cross genres, however, it is not as clear-cut.

Finally, I completely agree with your statement that I could rate a movie highly and never want to see it again. I don't have a good example, but re-watchablility is _not_ a factor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.