Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-05-08, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just a reminder to everyone please put a link to your lists in your signature so we can reference it when talking in this thread. now, off to search for Dick Laurent's post...
Old 10-05-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Oh, me too please!
Done.
Old 10-05-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
just a reminder to everyone please put a link to your lists in your signature so we can reference it when talking in this thread. now, off to search for Dick Laurent's post...
I had to wait to get to enough posts in order to put the link in my sig. It's there now.
Old 10-05-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've enjoyed reading your list.
I'm trying to enjoy yours, but the sheer numbers of films you're posting is its own horror challenge to read! Quite intimidating...

But seriously, I like it! It looks like you're posting films and adding comments later. I've been saving to a Word doc, and then pasting into my list when I have it finished. Not sure which is best. I kind of like the idea of listing first, though. But I might as well stick to my chosen method. It seems to be working fine for me.
Old 10-05-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I watched The Ruins last night which, as I suspected, is a disappointing film version of Scott Smith's novel (which is in itself a letdown after A Simple Plan). I'm not sure there's a way to make that book work on screen since it's so much the interior thoughts of the characters, but what was creepy in the book seemed merely silly in the movie. Anyone else?
Never read the book, thought the film was mediocre, 4/10. Didn't really notice it being overly silly, but then maybe I'm numb to that since so much horror and sci-fi (my favorite genres) are very silly if you let yourself think.
Thanks guys for the head up on The Ruins. I was on the bubble in picking up the DVD. Now, I'll pass. If it shows up cheap next year, then maybe. . .
Old 10-05-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Thanks guys for the head up on The Ruins. I was on the bubble in picking up the DVD. Now, I'll pass. If it shows up cheap next year, then maybe. . .
Yeah, but it has Jena Malone in it! I'm a huge fan, so that right there sells it for me. I know she's not for everyone...but it's JENA MALONE!
Old 10-05-08, 10:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
I'm trying to enjoy yours, but the sheer numbers of films you're posting is its own horror challenge to read! Quite intimidating...

But seriously, I like it! It looks like you're posting films and adding comments later. I've been saving to a Word doc, and then pasting into my list when I have it finished. Not sure which is best. I kind of like the idea of listing first, though. But I might as well stick to my chosen method. It seems to be working fine for me.
Yep, I've prioritized this week to just watching as much as I can, but will catch up on my comments later.

As to the numbers, I'll be slowing done starting now, I was just OCD about finishing the checklist. I'm sure I'll end up way out of the top few when the final numbers are tallied. I still hope to break 100, but may barely make that.
Old 10-05-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe how quickly the movies add up when you get into this. My original goal was 31, now four and a half days in I'm already at 15 with plans to watch a couple more before the day is over. I'm on pace to hit the 100 mark if I can find enough movies to keep this going.
Old 10-05-08, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
watched [REC] last Thursday (which I enjoyed immensily), read in Fango how they changed the story for Quarentine (shouldn't have, but did) - booo, it's gonna suck

Last edited by Giles; 10-05-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 148 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
I can't believe how quickly the movies add up when you get into this. My original goal was 31, now four and a half days in I'm already at 15 with plans to watch a couple more before the day is over. I'm on pace to hit the 100 mark if I can find enough movies to keep this going.
I know that exact same feeling. I had the same original goal, and I'm already at 17!
Old 10-05-08, 11:48 AM

I've hit 22, but my Zenith portable DVD player is giving up the ghost, might have to buy a new one, either today or tomorrow
Old 10-05-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I've hit 22, but my Zenith portable DVD player is giving up the ghost, might have to buy a new one, either today or tomorrow
Sorry to hear about that.

But it's a necessary sacrifice for the greater good of the challenge.
Old 10-05-08, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Sorry to hear about that.

But it's a necessary sacrifice for the greater good of the challenge.

I'm also perturbed that I have do some obligatory yard work today - getting rid of poison ivy - aaaahhhhhh, I'm so allergic of the stuff.... yard work sucks...
Old 10-05-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been concentraing mostly on classic horror - 50's and before, during the day. There's not many choices other than that to watch with my kids up and moving about the house. Anyone with a family employing any useful tactics to sneak in your horror watches? Better yet, any suggestions for films that aren't too terribly graphic?
Old 10-05-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i might not be able to get any movies in today...
Old 10-05-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been concentraing mostly on classic horror - 50's and before, during the day. There's not many choices other than that to watch with my kids up and moving about the house. Anyone with a family employing any useful tactics to sneak in your horror watches? Better yet, any suggestions for films that aren't too terribly graphic?
I looked through my list and the only one that jumped out at me was "The Omen." I don't remember it being particularly graphic (it's been a while since I've seen it.)
Old 10-05-08, 12:12 PM

and yeah the classic beheading scene.... it might be all out graphic, it's just downright shocking.
Old 10-05-08, 12:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
Even if you're out of DVDs, you could easily hit 100 just by searching the TV listings (if you have cable or something with the usual 100+ channels).

And even if you don't have a TV you can hit 100 (or much more) just from legal free sites on the internet.

Now whether they'd be worth watching is another matter....
Old 10-05-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I thought about asking so we could make a list like this also.

Curse of the Black Widow
Teen Wolf 1 & 2
Bad Ronald
Full Moon High
The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini
Any Cinematic Titanic films
The Alchemist
Kongo
The Headless Ghost
Naked Evil
The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
Diary of a Madman
Voodoo Island
The Fly
Curse of the Fly
Return of Fly
Arcade
Any of the movies from the Horror Classics 50 Movie Pack Collection
Old 10-05-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles View Post

I'm also perturbed that I have do some obligatory yard work today - getting rid of poison ivy - aaaahhhhhh, I'm so allergic of the stuff.... yard work sucks...
You just had to go and remind me that I have to mow the front lawn.
Old 10-05-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if you're out of DVDs, you could easily hit 100 just by searching the TV listings (if you have cable or something with the usual 100+ channels).

And even if you don't have a TV you can hit 100 (or much more) just from legal free sites on the internet.

or you could sign up for a free month of NETFLIX and get a another 10-15 titles to watch.
Old 10-05-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe you can go with some things that are more horror comedy. I was thinking ones that I used to watch as a kid, like maybe Monster Squad, Saturday the 14th, Transylvania 6-5000, Abbot & Costello. A couple of those aren't as good as an adult, but they can still count for the challenge!

Or how about some of the Roger Corman horror fillms? Some, like The Raven springs to mind, are pretty light. And there are some that aren't graphic at all.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-05-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm already going both of those routes. I've downloaded a handful already. I've been watching the schedules of all the HD movie channels to find some to DVR. I've got a free trial of Blockbuster Online going. I've got some requested from my local library. I just don't have many horror movies in my collection, so it's a bit of work to keep a good supply of titles coming.
Old 10-05-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to everyone for quick responses. I forgot all about Teen Wolf! Maybe we should compile a family-friendly thread. Should it be its own?

Looking through my collection, I also found that My Best Friend is a Vampire, and Invaders from Mars are PG. Anyone seen these? My youngest son is 12, but quite impressionable.
Old 10-05-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've clearly underestimated how little of a life I have Baseball playoffs are eating into my viewing time. October comes once a year, but the Phillies making a playoff run is a bit rarer than that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.