Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-02-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 196 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I was in no mood to watch ANYTHING.
Apparently I was in a very horrorific (is that a word?) mood because it was the exact opposite situation for me. I managed to watch, just like last year, 6 films the first day. Of course, there's no way in hell I'll be able to keep up that pace throughout the duration, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. And I could've easily watched several more if pesky little things like life and work didn't get in the way. Damn reality!

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I finally reasoned with myself that I would not be enjoying the movie, nor would I actually be WATCHING it. I'd be going through the motions of watching it just so I could would feel that I got something accomplished. It was like cramming for a test in high school/college when I was too tired to study. I'd be reading my notes or the textbook but I was so tired, I wasn't really absorbing any information. It was a waste of time that I could have spent sleeping. So, I finally realized this as I was putting the disc in the player. I said "F--- it" and went to bed.

Apparently, I was REALLY tired. My wife informed me this morning that the coffee pot had brewed nothing but water. I had forgotten to add the coffee.
The second it becomes tiresome is when I give it a rest for awhile and concentrate on other endeavours. I see no point whatsoever in watching films if you can't fully enjoy them.

Also, many of the films I catch are very dependent on the mood I'm in at the moment. For instance, I won't watch most Cronenberg or Fulci films unless I'm in a fairly upbeat mood because they tend to get somewhat depressing at times and aren't necessarily the best things to view if you're anywhere close to that state already!
Old 10-02-08, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a good example of true NC-17 rated horror movie. there's a lot of the "untated" stuff out there. I guess i could watch "ShowGirls", it's scary enough.
Old 10-02-08, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeVing View Post
anyone have a good example of true NC-17 rated horror movie. there's a lot of the "untainted" stuff out there. I guess i could watch "ShowGirls", it's scary enough.
fixed
Old 10-02-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
anyone have a good example of true NC-17 rated horror movie. there's a lot of the "untated" stuff out there. I guess i could watch "ShowGirls", it's scary enough.
Here are some worthwhile ones that pop to mind (not counting all those horror movies that got threatened with an NC-17, edited to an R, with the uncut version popping up later on DVD as the "unrated" version):

Man Bites Dog
Santa Sangre
Haute Tension

I wouldn't fight you if you wanted to count "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover" as a horror movie.

Beware ... all of those have edited versions floating around too. Man Bites Dog is particular sneaky, since the edited version is listed as being "unrated".

Last edited by brainee; 10-02-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 05:39 PM

High Tension, used to have the NC-17 rating, but surrended it, the full cut as it is on dvd is 'unrated'.
Old 10-02-08, 05:44 PM

"untated" was a typo. meant "unrated"

I was looking through the bingo card, and was thinking what I could watch for some of those.

I was curious if an Original rating of NC-17 would count if all there is available on DVD is an unrated version

i've got a PAL copy of "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover" somewhere around here...may have to pull it out.
Old 10-02-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man Bites Dog is a Criterion Collection DVD as well - if you're looking to knock off the check-list.
Old 10-02-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, I have a question about list formatting. Is there a certain post length where we should split things up? I've been writing a couple sentences after each movie, and I'm realizing that it could appear monstrously long if I keep it up all month.
Old 10-02-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 196 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Hey, I have a question about list formatting. Is there a certain post length where we should split things up? I've been writing a couple sentences after each movie, and I'm realizing that it could appear monstrously long if I keep it up all month.
I don't believe there's limitations anymore since the forum upgrade, but I could be wrong. Anyway, you could always do like me and divide your list into a weekly format. Semimonthly is fine too. Just whatever.
Old 10-02-08, 06:28 PM

"untated" was a typo. meant "unrated"

I was looking through the bingo card, and was thinking what I could watch for some of those.

I was curious if an Original rating of NC-17 would count if all there is available on DVD is an unrated version

i've got a PAL copy of "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover" somewhere around here...may have to pull it out.
oh I know...

I don't find 'The Cook, The Thief... to be horror at all.
Old 10-02-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't even count 7th Voyage. There's no intent to scare in there.
What about the sword fight with the skeleton? I generally rate a walking skeleton as scary stuff. And the cyclops is a monster (and one who is chowing down on human victims) and I would give a horror nod to monsters, especially ones that are eating people.
Old 10-02-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps. That might be enough to justify it. If it's something where it's a film you've never seen and you are asking if it counts, I would have said no. But knowing a film and being able to defend it is good enough for me. Heck, the Horned King and armies of the dead was good enough for me. I would rather be inclusive than exclusive.
Old 10-02-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I don't believe there's limitations anymore since the forum upgrade, but I could be wrong. Anyway, you could always do like me and divide your list into a weekly format. Semimonthly is fine too. Just whatever.
I can confirm that there are no more limitations since the forum upgrade. My list in the Sci-Fi Challenge was long enough to trigger the old bug, but it never gave me the error.
Old 10-02-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Just finished watching the Alpha DVD of The Student of Prague and the quality was remarkably wretched, even by Alpha's low standards. As for the soundtrack, I've heard more variation in Philip Glass scores. Glad to have seen an important piece of film history however, and the 41 minute run time was a plus in this case.
Ah, you watched the 1913 version. Alpha has also released the 1926 version in which the picture quality is even worse. On the other hand though, the 1926 version was considered lost for a long time, so I suppose we should be glad we even have a copy in circulation. I plan to rewatch both during the Challenge this year (can they really be any worse than an Uwe Boll film?).
Old 10-02-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What about the sword fight with the skeleton? I generally rate a walking skeleton as scary stuff. And the cyclops is a monster (and one who is chowing down on human victims) and I would give a horror nod to monsters, especially ones that are eating people.
I wouldn't include it because it's a fantasy movie and not a horror movie. Just because a movie has something scary in it doesn't make it a horror movie. I remember back when people wanted to include E.T. because they were scared of him as a kid.

If we went with just having something scary in a non-horror movie classified as a horror movie we would be calling these horror:

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (large Marge monster and the giant dinosaur)
All 3 Lord of the Rings movies(orcs and goblins are scary)
Harry Potter movies(death eaters, or whatever they're called, and other monsters)
Sesame Street movies(You have the vampire(The Count) and monsters that may or may not eat people off screen. How many times do you see the same kids on the show?)
Spider-Man 3 (venom is pretty scary and kills people)
Teletubbies (genderless homosexuals)

If anyone is going to add stuff just because there's something scary in a movie that isn't horror, I'm not going to complain, I just wanted to throw out my opinion.
Old 10-02-08, 09:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes View Post
I can confirm that there are no more limitations since the forum upgrade. My list in the Sci-Fi Challenge was long enough to trigger the old bug, but it never gave me the error.
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yep, last year I had to have my horror list in 6 separate posts to fit it all (partly due to all the formatting codes, which counted against the limit). But now that limit is gone or just huge.
Old 10-02-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have generally accepted cross-genre films, though. If we were writing a reference book on Horror, I think I would agree as to 7th's questionabilty. As far as a challenge on a forum board, I'm a bit more casual on content. If the viewer can justify at least to himself, then I'm cool with whatever makes anyone's list.
Old 10-02-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
What are people watching for the 1890s and 1900s films? I feel pretty covered on all the other decades but am unsure about these.
Old 10-02-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Sesame Street movies(You have the vampire(The Count) and monsters that may or may not eat people off screen. How many times do you see the same kids on the show?)
I've heard multiple times on Conan that they store Snuffaluffagus on hooks hanging from the ceiling on the set and it really creeps out the hosts.

Teletubbies (genderless homosexuals)
These two words together completely blew my mind.
Old 10-02-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet on here or not, but if you want to download a free director/cast commentary for Child's Play and 2 commentaries for Fright Night, just go here:

http://www.iconsoffright.com/Commentaries.htm
Old 10-02-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't include it because it's a fantasy movie and not a horror movie. Just because a movie has something scary in it doesn't make it a horror movie. I remember back when people wanted to include E.T. because they were scared of him as a kid.
I understand your point and, yes, totally agree that if I had to classify 7th it would be as fantasy. I can still see horror elements in it and could see why someone would want to list it. One could make a case that my first title of watched films, Army of Darkness, could be construed a fantasy, but being a sequel to The Evil Dead sells it as horror. (At least in my view it does.) Many newer films fall in even grayer areas of genre type. I know I've agonized over where to file some of my DVDs. (7th not being one of them!). Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to me either way and, if by chance, I list a film folks object to, I will have no problem not counting it. I'm just having a good time watching my movies whether they count or not.
Old 10-02-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I am trying to focus on my unwatched movies that I have classified as their first genre as "Horror" (i.e. on my shelf, they are in the horror section.) However, this is the first year I have done this challenge, and I can anticipate for next year that I will have to expand into sub-genres that are not necessarily completely in the horror genre. I really don't like watching a movie again within a year or two of when I previously watched it unless it is one of my favorites, so there will not be many repeats next year.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but it is ultimately up to the viewer to decide if they consider it Horror or not. I think everyone here has the utmost respect of everyone's decisions and we are more then than forthcoming to offer our opinions, when asked. Unless something is completely out of whack - "OMG, Lieutenant Dan's legs in Forrest Gump scared the crap out of me, that's horror" (or see Mister Peepers post #590) - I think we are all just trying to enhance the challenge as best we can.
Old 10-02-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, how about Butterfly Effect?
Old 10-03-08, 12:00 AM

I think my eyes are going to start bleeding but alas it's a four day weekend for me but I'm busy the next two days. I'll try to watch the movie of the day but outside that I am unsure of what I'll be able to view. Maybe I'll come across some cheap horror films I've never seen while I'm out and about.
Old 10-03-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Guys, how about Butterfly Effect?
I would say a definite no for me. Purely Sci-Fi/Thriller IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.