Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-02-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
I managed to squeeze one last movie in before midnight. I'm happy with my start so far.

I had recorded Child's Play 2 and 3 from HBO HD a couple of nights ago. Never was much of a Child's Play fan so I thought I would give them a chance. Brad Dourif is perfect with the voice acting for Chucky, but I just have a hard time feeling any kind of menace from a little doll. It is amusing when Chucky is getting the shit beat out of him, though.

On to the third one, I guess ...
Old 10-02-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor View Post
I was just wonder about guide lines. A film started on oct 1st but finished oct 2, counts for which day? I'm guessing the finished day? And thanks, maybe I'll watch igor now
Originally Posted by Numes View Post
It counts on the day you finished it. Just pretend you started watching a movie on Halloween and didn't finish it until Nov. 1st. It wouldn't count. Also, as others said, the 31 movie list is ultimately up to you, but it was meant as a guideline for viewing and discussion purposes. I am only going to watch probably 6-7 of them, and I already know that I am busy some of those days, so I'll push them off a day or so, but I'll try to watch them in the vicinity of the day they were allotted for.
I put the start times on my list. I pretty much have to count the film the day I start it.
Old 10-02-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
☼ ☼ ☼
That's it. However, I did some research on the symbol. It is the "currency" symbol, but depending on which version you use, and whether you bold it or not, it looks different. It also depends on what browser you're using.

On Firefox:
☼ (unbolded)
(bolded) actually looks better, but it becomes less bold for some reason.

When I copy the symbol above to a text editor, it becomes:
(unbolded)
(bolded)

Finally, on IE6, the top symbol doesn't show up correctly, and looks like a box (which I'm assuming is standard for something that it can't display). I haven't tried the new IE, since I use Firefox.

You may be asking yourself, did this guy really do this much research into this symbol... unfortunately the answer is yes.
Old 10-02-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do approx. 50 Min. or so documentaries, like the ones that are on a lot of Universal DVDs in particular, do they count as regular entries or as Wild Cards? A lot of the old Universal horrors only ran about 60 mins., and so do All the Masters of Horrors that count as regulars. Any opinions?
Old 10-02-08, 04:45 AM

I believe those would count as Wild Cards. There's a fine line, but if it was made and sold as a feature in its own right, then it counts as a regular. If it is just a supplement to another feature (that is, a DVD extra), then it doesn't, but can be counted as a Wild Card (which has no restrictions).

MOH so far have counted as regulars. Technically, there's no longer a time limit definition (throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO), but there's still an unspoken rule that the regulars should be what is generally thought of as a "real movie". MOH is kind of in between, but close enough.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-02-08 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-02-08, 04:51 AM
TRC

What day does a movie count towards if I started watching it just before the end of day but finished it past midnight?

Last edited by TRC; 10-02-08 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-02-08, 04:57 AM

However you like. I count them the day I start.
Old 10-02-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
That's it. However, I did some research on the symbol. It is the "currency" symbol, but depending on which version you use, and whether you bold it or not, it looks different. It also depends on what browser you're using.

On Firefox:
☼ (unbolded)
(bolded) actually looks better, but it becomes less bold for some reason.

When I copy the symbol above to a text editor, it becomes:
(unbolded)
(bolded)

Finally, on IE6, the top symbol doesn't show up correctly, and looks like a box (which I'm assuming is standard for something that it can't display). I haven't tried the new IE, since I use Firefox.

You may be asking yourself, did this guy really do this much research into this symbol... unfortunately the answer is yes.
Thanks for the research! I was actually wondering about that silly little symbol. I think I'll steal it because looks better to me than *.

I have a dumb question about Wild Cards (sorry if the answer is buried somewhere in this thread and I missed it). I'm seeing contradictory things regarding multiple episodes of the same thing. For example, let's say you watch all the episodes of Supernatural this month. Does it only count as 1 wildcard, or could you use each episode as a separate wildcard?
Old 10-02-08, 06:02 AM

Technically, they would each be a Wild Card. Six episodes = 6 Wild Cards, unless you wanted to lump them together and count them as 1 Wild Card just for the sake of listing what you watch and saving the remaining Wild Cards for other programs.

The Wild Cards are for the occasional indulgence outside the parameters of the challenge, but the challenge itself is for Horror movies. Some compromises will need to be made and some things that get watched will necessarily not get counted. I, for one, watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report every night. That's four hours a week that won't get counted towards the challenge. TV shows, even if they are Horror related, are going to have to be watched on the participant's own time unless one chooses to apply them towards the Wild Cards. No one said it was going to be easy, but that's part of the Challenge.
Old 10-02-08, 06:39 AM
TRC

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
However you like. I count them the day I start.
Okay cool. Thanks.
Old 10-02-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I put the start times on my list. I pretty much have to count the film the day I start it.
Good point. I guess it really doesn't matter, especially if you keep track of your starting time. I'll update my post.
Old 10-02-08, 09:04 AM

Edit: I may have made an incorrect note. Is there a rule that you can count a movie on Halloween as long as it was started before midnight?
Edit2: Just count them however you like. I'm still not sure about the unique situation of Halloween night, though.
In the past, we've had overtime bonus well after midnight. Halloween being a Friday this year is going to make it easier for most people.
Old 10-02-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ Yeah, Halloween will be a definite exception this year. I'm sure many of us will be watching movies well past midnight on that particular night. Maybe there should be a 6 or 7 a.m. completion time on Saturday morning.

It cracks me up how seriously everyone, including me, is taking this challenge and the rules. Have to remind myself everyone once in a while that it's a challenge not a contest.
Old 10-02-08, 09:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts
That's why we love you Numes.
Originally Posted by stonecountry View Post
So do approx. 50 Min. or so documentaries, like the ones that are on a lot of Universal DVDs in particular, do they count as regular entries or as Wild Cards? A lot of the old Universal horrors only ran about 60 mins., and so do All the Masters of Horrors that count as regulars. Any opinions?
As others have said, generally, we avoid DVD extras and only count documentaries that were released on their own, but I think the rules aren't 100% clear. And MoH do count, nobody reads Chad's first posts
Originally Posted by TRC View Post
What day does a movie count towards if I started watching it just before the end of day but finished it past midnight?
I don't think it really matters, do it however you prefer.
In the past, we've had overtime bonus well after midnight. Halloween being a Friday this year is going to make it easier for most people.
Unfortunately I have to work the next morning, and be up by 0500, so no bonus time for me this year. Will probably watch Halloween in the morning, and then hit the local UA theater for the "Quadruple Bypass" that evening.
Old 10-02-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in per tradition. Though with my schedule, I won't get to watch too many this year. Tis the season!

Oh and I watched Night and Fog yesterday for class, does that count? More horrifying than any fiction I can imagine.

Last edited by naitram; 10-02-08 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-02-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It cracks me up how seriously everyone, including me, is taking this challenge and the rules. Have to remind myself everyone once in a while that it's a challenge not a contest.
I think most everyone, including myself, is treating this as something fun and exciting. I think a lot of the dialogue that may be construed as serious is really just to clarify things and provide out individual insight such that maybe there won't be so many of the same questions

It reminds me of this board game I used to play when I was younger. The rulebook was not very detailed and undoubtedly we would experience a corner case once every few games that the rulebook didn't cover. Therefore, we had to discuss and come up with a rule such that if that situation every arose again, we wouldn't be in a conundrum again. The comparison isn't 100% accurate because a lot of things in this challenge are really open to interpretation, I think most of us are just providing our opinions and what we would do in the same situation.
Old 10-02-08, 10:13 AM

I have a bit of an ocd problem so I set my personal goals kind of high as least amount of films to watch to complete the checklist, and do the film of the day, sadly this will result in some repeat viewing it seems but oh well.

I think I'll get through as many of my own dvds until the 15th, excluding film of the day and spend rest of the month watching stuff I've never seen. Plus I have the Chiller channel which seems okay so far.
Old 10-02-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
slow day at work today...might end up taking a half day! if so then hopefully i'll be able to get 3-4 movies in today instead of 1-2.
Old 10-02-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think most everyone, including myself, is treating this as something fun and exciting. I think a lot of the dialogue that may be construed as serious is really just to clarify things and provide out individual insight such that maybe there won't be so many of the same questions

It reminds me of this board game I used to play when I was younger. The rulebook was not very detailed and undoubtedly we would experience a corner case once every few games that the rulebook didn't cover. Therefore, we had to discuss and come up with a rule such that if that situation every arose again, we wouldn't be in a conundrum again. The comparison isn't 100% accurate because a lot of things in this challenge are really open to interpretation, I think most of us are just providing our opinions and what we would do in the same situation.
Yeah, I fully understand this. But some people are still really caught up in the semantics. "What if I finished a movie after midnight?" We're on the honor system. If you watched the movie, count it for whichever day you are comfortable with. The important thing is to worry about what you're going to watch next or if the boogey-man is in the next room not to worry about what day to place something in.

Like I said, I understand because I've been doing it some, too. I was watching a movie last night and was watching the time to see if I was going to finish by midnight and have it count for the first night. Then I snapped myself out of it and realized that looking at it with that kind of structure might take some of the fun out of it. And really the only reason the board game analogy isn't apt is because this isn't a competition or even a game. It's just a fun challenge. Can you imagine how it would get if it really were a competition? We would probably be required to upload a YouTube video every time we started a new movie. And even then there would probably still be problems.
Old 10-02-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Well, I just checked out my first of the public domain movies on archive.org, Dementia 13. Not bad quality, and if others are like that, I think I may return there if I dont feel like putting a DVD in.
Old 10-02-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would the 7th Voyage of Sinbad count in the horror challenge?
A new remastered DVD is out on Tuesday and the reviewers say it's worth the upgrade.
I'm going to buy it anyway. But I wanted to be sure if it was acceptable in the challenge.
Old 10-02-08, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Would the 7th Voyage of Sinbad count in the horror challenge?
A new remastered DVD is out on Tuesday and the reviewers say it's worth the upgrade.
I'm going to buy it anyway. But I wanted to be sure if it was acceptable in the challenge.

in my book, that's flat out "fantasy"
Old 10-02-08, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't even count 7th Voyage. There's no intent to scare in there.
Old 10-02-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been trying not to take this too seriously as well. I almost did last night.

After the Cubs game (well, near the end), I got on the computer to do some work and was trying to finish quickly so I could watch "Nosferatu"... As I worked, I could feel myself getting more and more tired. But I really wanted to start the challenge on Oct 1st! Finally, as 11:30pm came and I finished, I was in no mood to watch ANYTHING. I finally reasoned with myself that I would not be enjoying the movie, nor would I actually be WATCHING it. I'd be going through the motions of watching it just so I could would feel that I got something accomplished. It was like cramming for a test in high school/college when I was too tired to study. I'd be reading my notes or the textbook but I was so tired, I wasn't really absorbing any information. It was a waste of time that I could have spent sleeping. So, I finally realized this as I was putting the disc in the player. I said "F--- it" and went to bed.

Apparently, I was REALLY tired. My wife informed me this morning that the coffee pot had brewed nothing but water. I had forgotten to add the coffee.
Old 10-02-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

FYI: Netflix added a lot of new movies recently with the Starz deal they have. I saw Child's Play up there and some newer movies(compared with what was there before).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.