Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-30-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 196 Likes on 87 Posts
^ What's the matter with this thread?
Old 09-30-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 196 Likes on 87 Posts
It's go time!

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going with Suspiria.
Old 09-30-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's another hour here in Chicago before midnight

But I'm planning to start with Pet Sematary tonight. And I think I can get in part 2 before I hit the sack and then maybe another one or two tomorrow night before I have to work on some stuff for school. My new TV comes Thursday!!
Old 09-30-08, 11:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
We had discussed it a bit before and decided not to clutter this thread, plus the spoiler thing. Most of the participants probably aren't doing the optional 31 film thing, so why ruin all the movies for them?

Having to use spoiler tags in every post would be tiresome, plus spoiler tags don't work in email notifications anyway.

I'll delete it if you'd rather have it here, but here is the "31 films" thread for now.
Old 09-30-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I think it was planned from the start that there would be a separate thread. Some of us may not get to the titles in the 31 days on that exact day, so it would be nice to have a separate thread such that one could not look at the thread if they didn't get to that movie.

I like to keep up with this thread, but if we start mixing the 31 movie thoughts in here, it will be hard to filter. Just my opinion.
Old 09-30-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that "The Prophecy" is out, I'll start with "Near Dark." I haven't seen it before, so there will be a little bigger punch to the start of this challenge for me.
Old 09-30-08, 11:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Starting with Ilsa She Wolf of the SS. Going HARDCORE! Got to meet star Dyanne Thorne and the director Don Edmonds earlier this year. She actually looks pretty good for her age. She and her husband run a wedding chapel in Las Vegas that fulfills fantasy weddings. I asked her if she had done Ilsa weddings and she said they have done quite a few.
Old 09-30-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got in from "work" (was kind of work, but not really). Anyway I'm not gonna last more than 5 minutes (I'm just glad I made the 45 minute drive home without crashing my car) so I'm going to start my challenge tomorrow after the Cubs game.

Godspeed to you all tonight as you begin the challenge. Maybe I'll dream something really cool that I can count as a wild card.
Old 09-30-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Not going to wait until the 5th and then discuss it in the "31 Films" thread?
nah...i'm not doing the 31 movies subset. i think it's a good idea but it's just not for me.
Old 10-01-08, 12:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm kicking it off in about 2 minutes with Basket Case, seemed appropriate enough considering I'll likely be a basket case after my personal goal of 200 (crossing fingers for 250).
Old 10-01-08, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How would the Fangoria Blood Drive Part I and II DVDs figure in? They're basically an anthology of short films, part 1 being about 2 hrs. and Part 2 being about 1 1/2 hrs. If you watch the entire collections, would this count as a regular entry or a Wild Card? I don't see how watching these full DVDs and not just single stories would be any different from watching say any number of Horror Anthology films made up of short stories like Tales From The Crypt the Movie, Vault of Horror, Creepshow 1 and 2, From Beyond the Grave, Campfire Tales, etc. Anybody got some thoughts on this? I want to watch these since I've owned them for a couple years and have never seen them.
Old 10-01-08, 04:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't pretend to have a definitive answer, however a dvd collection of short films does have a few differences from an anthology movie. The differences as I see them between these and Creepshow, Twilight Zone Movie, Tales From the Crypt etc. is two fold, one the "shorts" in the anthology horror films were designed to collectively represent a theatrical presentation and two there is almost always a connecting story even if it's very weak.

In my personal opinion, and others know much more about this than me, the wildcard number has been raised, if you feel it should count and it's feature length, count it, if in doubt use a wild card.
Old 10-01-08, 04:51 AM

w00t! Starting with "Nosferatu."
Old 10-01-08, 05:04 AM

I agree with poster mayhem on the Fangoria releases.
Old 10-01-08, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I agree with poster mayhem on the Fangoria releases.
So you think it should count the whole thing as a regular one or as a wild card? I figure wild cards should mainly be like 30 min. TV things and stuff like that.
Old 10-01-08, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by stonecountry View Post
How would the Fangoria Blood Drive Part I and II DVDs figure in? They're basically an anthology of short films, part 1 being about 2 hrs. and Part 2 being about 1 1/2 hrs. If you watch the entire collections, would this count as a regular entry or a Wild Card? I don't see how watching these full DVDs and not just single stories would be any different from watching say any number of Horror Anthology films made up of short stories like Tales From The Crypt the Movie, Vault of Horror, Creepshow 1 and 2, From Beyond the Grave, Campfire Tales, etc. Anybody got some thoughts on this? I want to watch these since I've owned them for a couple years and have never seen them.
It depends on your school of thought. I look at the Wild Cards as a respite from feature movies rather than an excuse to watch shorter films to pad my list. Last year, I watched Umezu Kazuo: Ky˘fu gekij˘ (Horror Theater Volumes 1 and 3) and Fangoria Blood Drive 1 and counted them collectively as one Wild Card. I also watched 3 hours of Horror trailers I compiled and Volumes 1 and 2 of The Far Side animated specials as my second and third Wild Cards, respectively. Personally, I would consider a whole DVD compilation as a Wild Card, so Volumes 1 and 2 would be two Wild Cards. It's up to you if you want to make it more challenging for yourself like that. Technically, if you wanted, you could count each short as its own Wild Card, but then you've used up all your Wild Cards and are limited to movies the rest of the time. What you put on your list is more important than the number next to it. Six shorts for wild cards isn't enough to get anyone to 100 any quicker than 6 full length features, so I figure you should use them for non-conforming material regardless of length.
Old 10-01-08, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by stonecountry View Post
So you think it should count the whole thing as a regular one or as a wild card? I figure wild cards should mainly be like 30 min. TV things and stuff like that.
IMHO - Definitely not count as a regular one. It can easily be a wildcard. Wildcards can be any length, 1 minute or 15 hours. I'm considering watching my 8 hours of videotape (G rated) of an ex as one wildcard, definitely horror.
Old 10-01-08, 06:38 AM

I think, since they're short films compiled together into a collection, that you can count them as a regular movie selection, since they were released and packaged to be watched together. I haven't seen the second, only the first. Is it any good?
Old 10-01-08, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I look at the Wild Cards as a respite from feature movies rather than an excuse to watch shorter films to pad my list. Last year, I watched Umezu Kazuo: Ky˘fu gekij˘ (Horror Theater Volumes 1 and 3) and Fangoria Blood Drive 1 and counted them collectively as one Wild Card. I also watched 3 hours of Horror trailers I compiled and Volumes 1 and 2 of The Far Side animated specials as my second and third Wild Cards, respectively. Personally, I would consider a whole DVD compilation as a Wild Card, so Volumes 1 and 2 would be two Wild Cards. It's up to you if you want to make it more challenging for yourself like that. Technically, if you wanted, you could count each short as its own Wild Card, but then you've used up all your Wild Cards and are limited to movies the rest of the time. What you put on your list is more important than the number next to it. Six shorts for wild cards isn't enough to get anyone to 100 any quicker than 6 full length features, so I figure you should use them for non-conforming material regardless of length.
Exactly, great points. Too many people are still thinking about the numbers. I still say that no one should put a number above 100 on their list. List them, but don't number them.

Far Side specials? I must have lived under a rock while those came out. The second best post-1970 comic strip had TV specials?
Old 10-01-08, 06:47 AM

Having a huge list, even if the titles over 100 aren't numbered, is not going to stop the fighting from people who argue that no one could watch that many movies in a month. However many movies I watch, I'm going to number them all, because if they're still on the list regardless, it's silly not to number them.
Old 10-01-08, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
it's silly not to number them.
Under silly in the dictionary, I'm definition number five.
Old 10-01-08, 07:21 AM

Yeah, that no numbering over 100 was just someone's suggestion. What was actually implemented, I think, was everyone that reaches 100 gets in a random drawing for prizes. No prize for most titles this year. Go ahead and number up to 400.
Old 10-01-08, 07:34 AM

Under silly in the dictionary, I'm definition number five.
I didn't say you PERSONALLY were silly, and you weren't the only one who made that suggestion, FusionX did as well, I believe. I didn't attack anyone, I just said why I, personally, am going to number my list even if I reach more than 100. Whether they're numbered or not, the movies are going to be there, so I still don't see how not numbering the movies will solve anything, but to each their own. I was just stating my opinion.
Old 10-01-08, 07:44 AM

Exactly, great points. Too many people are still thinking about the numbers. I still say that no one should put a number above 100 on their list. List them, but don't number them.

Far Side specials? I must have lived under a rock while those came out. The second best post-1970 comic strip had TV specials?
http://www.thefarside.com/ A bit steep, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ę 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.