DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/538819-100-movies-31-days-4th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

clckworang 09-02-08 05:18 PM

I know I didn't exactly light up the scoreboard in the recent sci-fi challenge, but I would like to take part in the horror one as well. I'm not saying I'll do great, but I might do better than in the last one at least.

Dimension X 09-02-08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8912400)
Wicked, Wicked sounds like an interesting oddity."No Glasses - All You Need Are Your Eyes." How many other films are completely split-screen? The only one I'm aware of is Mike Figgis' Timecode, with four (!) simultaneous frames of action.

I watched Wicked, Wicked the last time they showed it. I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely worth checking out.

Is The Boston Strangler all split screen, or is it on and off like The Thomas Crown Affair?

JerryKILL 09-02-08 05:43 PM

The 2005, 2006, 2007 links at the very top all seem to go to 2007.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-02-08 05:44 PM

How many other films are completely split-screen? The only one I'm aware of is Mike Figgis' Timecode, with four (!) simultaneous frames of action.

I wouldn't call watching 4 simultaneous frames of people walking around not saying or doing anything, other than walking, action. There is that time when someone rides a taxi from one building to another. That was pretty exciting :)

Note: For those that don't know, Timecode has no cuts or editing. When someone is riding in a cab somewhere, you sit and stare at them as they sit and do nothing in a cab until they get to there destination.

There's some convenience store robbery type movie that Troma distributed that does 4 frames. My wife also rented some other movie that does 4 frames but after watching Timecode I don't want to watch any godawful indie movie that uses it as a gimmick instead of having a decent plot.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, I am not a fan of Timecode.

RobCA 09-02-08 05:53 PM

How many other films are completely split-screen?

I haven't seen it, but according to reviews I've read, Conversations with Other Women is entirely split screen.

Rob

Chad 09-02-08 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by JerryKILL (Post 8912499)
The 2005, 2006, 2007 links at the very top all seem to go to 2007.

Fixed. Thanks.

dcrw6 09-02-08 07:44 PM

I just want to say that I hope there aren't any pages and pages of arguing this year. I live for horror movies and look forward to this every year now, and I just quit even checking the thread halfway through the month because it was so tedious reading all the bad vibes. It killed the mood for me and I even quit updating my list. So please, guys, let's keep it civil and fun.

With that being said, I'm still working full time and going to school full time, but I plan on packing as many movies as I can. I'm hoping I'll hit 100 this year, but I'll be happy to hit 75. Happy hauntings, everyone.

And Chad, I love the first post. Very nice and classy.

dan31655 09-02-08 08:37 PM

I'm voting for option C in the commentary poll. Nice addition of uwe boll, I'll be watching his films.

So I'm in with a goal of about 100.

caligulathegod 09-02-08 10:25 PM

We did Ewe Boll last year, though. I think it was a joke listing that has run its course. There's so many other bad Horror directors to plug in there.

NoirFan 09-02-08 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 8913093)
We did Ewe Boll last year, though. I think it was a joke listing that has run its course. There's so many other bad Horror directors to plug in there.

Here's another vote for substituting Herschell Gordon Lewis, or perhaps Andy Milligan.

Trevor 09-02-08 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8913109)
Here's another vote for substituting Herschell Gordon Lewis, or perhaps Andy Milligan.

Since watching Boll was cruel and unusual punishment, and we are celebrating the history of horror a bit in this challenge, I agree.

caligulathegod 09-03-08 02:15 AM

Ewe also prevented me from completing the Horror Yahtzee checklist. I vote for HGL.

JOE29 09-03-08 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 8912429)
I know I didn't exactly light up the scoreboard in the recent sci-fi challenge, but I would like to take part in the horror one as well. I'm not saying I'll do great, but I might do better than in the last one at least.

It's really not about doing great. Everyone has a schedule in their lives to follow that disrupts the movie challenge. As many of other people have said ( including me ) before, it's about having fun with this. It's about conversing with other people about the movies we love and some we don't love. And possibly picking up a few recommendations for movies that we haven't seen yet. But most of all just have fun with it and the hell with the final total.

The Monkees 09-03-08 11:26 AM

I was just thinking, would Ernest Scared Stupid count? I know it's not exactly horror, but it's Halloween oriented and I guess it's children's horror. I would think it would count, but I just wanted to check.

Darth Maher 09-03-08 11:46 AM

Last year, somebody told me that the Disney "Halloweentown" movies counted so I guess "Ernest" would count too.

Imdb says it's horror.

Quack 09-03-08 11:59 AM

Looks good Chad, I definitely like the 31 in 31 days list....looks great!

Giles 09-03-08 12:12 PM

I thought I added a comment to this thread -

C for the commentary question..

Dimension X 09-03-08 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 8913929)
I was just thinking, would Ernest Scared Stupid count? I know it's not exactly horror, but it's Halloween oriented and I guess it's children's horror. I would think it would count, but I just wanted to check.

Horror comedies have always counted.

NoirFan 09-03-08 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 8914125)
Horror comedies have always counted.

Anyone else going to watch Mad Monster Party?

Dimension X 09-03-08 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 8914130)

Now that you've reminded me, yes.

Giles 09-03-08 12:35 PM

had seen it during a prior challenge - it's really out there, weird and very entertaining.

RobCA 09-03-08 02:00 PM

:wave:

islandclaws 09-03-08 03:22 PM

This all sounds awesome to me. My only goal is to top the 25 I watched last year. Looking forward to it!

Edit: Ernest Scared Stupid better count! It's a title I watch every year.

Darth Maher 09-03-08 03:43 PM

There is a theater somewhat nearby that is showing this the weekend before Halloween. I might check it out. I don't know if this is a 35mm print or just the DVD projected on the big screen.

If I don't make it there, I can always watch my DVD. :)

Giles 09-03-08 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher (Post 8914688)
There is a theater somewhat nearby that is showing this the weekend before Halloween. I might check it out. I don't know if this is a 35mm print or just the DVD projected on the big screen.

If I don't make it there, I can always watch my DVD. :)

is the DVD in print, or am I just thinking it's not anymore?