Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-30-08, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Yeah, even the fluff ones on the DVD extras. As long as it is Horror related (in other words, "The Making of Annie" = NO. "Making of Friday the 13th" =YES.).

Old 09-30-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
TRUE BLOOD? Yes.
Old 09-30-08, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
can you elaborate Caligula?
Old 09-30-08, 02:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
can you elaborate Caligula?
He was answering the question as to whether they can be wildcards.

It's a TV show, and horror-ish, so yep.
Old 09-30-08, 03:00 PM

Eight hours to go!

Anyone local to Northern Virginia want to go halfsies on two Masters of Horror season 2 boxsets? B1G1F at DD, putting total at $26.44 each set. Not worth the hassle of shipping, post office, paypal fees, etc, but would buy them and split the cost with anyone local.
Old 09-30-08, 03:11 PM

The Wild Cards are for the stuff that normally wouldn't count. It needs to be Horror, obviously, but it is for episodic TV shows, specials, cartoons, or anything else you can think of. We don't have any time restrictions except your own judgment. Say, if you went to Youtube and watched a 2 minute Horror trailer (I'm hosting the rare Rosemary's Baby trailer there, myself) then that probably wouldn't be enough (wouldn't you feel guilty putting down something that only took 2 minutes?). But if you spent half an hour watching nothing but Horror trailers and "real ghost videos", then you could probably count that as a wild card. Keep in mind that you only get 6. Six is not enough to pad anyone's list so use them for the fun things. Ideally, they would reach featurette length (or at least as long as It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown), but there are no official restrictions. Sure, you could watch 6 Bugs Bunny cartoons and count them as 6 Wild cards, but then you've wasted all your Wild Cards on 36 minutes of entertainment. My personal suggestion is to lump things together so you can spread the entertainment out. Watch a bunch of Bugs Bunny horror cartoons = Wild Card. Watch one or more Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes = Wild Card. Watch one or more Roseanne Halloween episodes = Wild Card. If you want to watch 6 Roseanne episodes, you CAN count that as 6 Wild Cards. If you want to watch Frankenweenie and Vincent, you can count that as 2 Wild Cards if you like, or you can count them together as 1 Wild Card. We're more interested in what kinds of things you put. Wild Cards are for when you are so freaking sick of movies you need a break.
Old 09-30-08, 03:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, we've reached 100 participants! Have fun everyone.
Old 09-30-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
so a documentary would qualify as a wild card? 6 wild cards - awesome!
It's my understanding that a stand-alone documentary, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait, Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film, or 100 Years of Horror, counts and would not have to be labeled as a wild card. In fact, documentary is listed under the optional expanded checklist.

Short DVD featurettes would be a good use for a wild card.
Old 09-30-08, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry View Post
Can anyone recommend or not recommend The Deaths of Ian Stone. I like the concept a lot, but it'll be a blind buy if I get it. Also, is Werewolf of Washington as funny in a B-movie sort of way as I imagine it is? I heard the hologram guy from Quantam Leap, Dean Stockwell is in it.

Ian Stone is kinda "meh". I liked the concept too, and there's some good scenes, but it gets a little too goofy for me towards the end. I'd rent it first if you could.
Old 09-30-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
[QUOTE=caligulathegod;8974142]The Wild Cards are for the stuff that normally wouldn't count. It needs to be Horror, obviously, but it is for episodic TV shows, specials, cartoons, or anything else you can think of.

Curious, I am a fan of Ghost Hunters and usually watch those DVDs as halloween gets close. How about something that isn't really horror but as with ghosts would fall under halloweenish things? I plan to watch them anyways, but if it can count as a wild card, all the better
Old 09-30-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should count as a wildcard.
Old 09-30-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think you'll have to amend the fine print of the wild card rule, stating that only one of each "type" is allowed. Either deleting the fine print or defining more than three different types look like options.
Thanks, I obviously overlooked that.

And BTW...

-The list thread has been updated as of this post.

-If the threads look slightly different, it's because Photobucket is apparently down. I want my banner back, dammit!!

-Less than 4 hours to go!
Old 09-30-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
Originally Posted by stonecountry View Post
Also, is Werewolf of Washington as funny in a B-movie sort of way as I imagine it is? I heard the hologram guy from Quantam Leap, Dean Stockwell is in it.
Definitely -- fun in a B-movie way is a perfect description. I watched it last year for the challenge and can recommend it. Dean Stockwell is good, and there's a bunch of other familiar B-faces in it. It's public domain, so you might want to download it if you're on the fence about buying it.
Agreed. I watched it during the first challenge and from what I remember it was "fun in a B-movie way."

You can also watch it on Hulu if you don't want to buy it.
Old 09-30-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It's my understanding that a stand-alone documentary, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait, Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film, or 100 Years of Horror, counts and would not have to be labeled as a wild card. In fact, documentary is listed under the optional expanded checklist.
Don't forget there's 2 versions of this doc:

750 minutes

120 minutes

Just in case you don't feel like watching a 12+ hour horror documentary.
Old 09-30-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Mad rush to rip stuff to zune for tomorrow and later!!!!

edit: Or worry about one less step in ripping it to wmv and just put the stuff on my Creative Vision M which will play it. But it's such a tiny screen

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 09-30-08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 10:00 PM

Ghost Hunters sounds fine.

If the Documentary rule (stand alone vs supplemental) gets too confusing this year, something we can consider for next year is relegating all docs to the Wild Cards while doubling the amount to 12 and having the actual challenge be purely for movies. We'll see how it goes this year.
Old 09-30-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mother F&*!$^%

"The Prophecy" and "The Prophecy II" are both non-anamorphic. I don't think I can handle that. Nuts, that is what I was going to start off with tonight.
Old 09-30-08, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'll be starting out with one of the 6 films to keep you awake @ midnight.
Old 09-30-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tod Browning's The Unknown for me.
Old 09-30-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

night of the living dead for me...then the rest of romero's zombie films when i wake up.
Old 09-30-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
night of the living dead for me
Not going to wait until the 5th and then discuss it in the "31 Films" thread?
Old 09-30-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so jealous of you all getting to start tonight. I have to be up for work at 5, so I can't do a thing until I get off tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure where to begin yet, maybe something light like Shaun of the Dead, then jump into the bloodier stuff.

Also, this is only somewhat related, but I have a question about Blockbuster Online. I was going to sign up for a free trial for the month, but I don't intend to keep it past October. Say I want to cancel on November 1, do the movies have to be back to them for me to do that, or can I cancel and then put whatever movies I have back in the mail and be safe as far as avoiding charges?
Old 09-30-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm starting off with Silent Night, Deadly Night. Partly because I'll be watching it again for the holiday challenge, and I want as much time between the two viewings as possible. And also because it and its sequel are the last things I watched last year, so it seems fitting to make them the first things I watch this year. I'll be watching the first one tonight, and Part 2 tomorrow morning. I really don't want to watch them back-to-back in one sitting, since there's so many scenes from the first film in the second.

Rob
DVD Talk Legend

I believe my selection for tonight will be French ...Inside.

Not sure what I'll catch in the AM. Can't think of a better nonsexual way to start the day than squeezing in an early morning flick before work. Very invigorating.

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Not going to wait until the 5th and then discuss it in the "31 Films" thread?
Thanks for reminding me. I'll go ahead and create that thread unless someone else already did so.

Some of us may have already started I imagine. Any Europeans (or farther East) among us?

I'm going to start with some Gamera. I'm going to try to concentrate on unwatched titles this year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.