Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried watching "Hard" a while ago, mostly due to the fact that the cover art compares it to "Seven", but my heterosexuality made me turn it off half way through. Don't see myself watching that again..
Old 09-26-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I vote C. I like watching commentaries to movies I've seen countless times already but never with the commentary or a certain commentary for ones with multiple tracks. I hope the 40 min. rule stays in place so I can watch Masters of Horror Season 2.
Old 09-26-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry
I vote C. I like watching commentaries to movies I've seen countless times already but never with the commentary or a certain commentary for ones with multiple tracks. I hope the 40 min. rule stays in place so I can watch Masters of Horror Season 2.
C won the vote yesterday and we got rid of the 40 minute rule and didn't replace it with anything. Masters of Horror counts.

One thing I didn't get was wouldn't it cause more fights if there's no running time rule since people can pretty much do what they want? If people complained about someone watching a 50 or a 40 minute movie before, why would it stop if someone does it now.
Old 09-26-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think anything shorter than a Masters of Horror should count except as a wild card. I think you should at least invest about an hour in something if you're out just to pad your list. Many old universal horrors weren't much more than that anyway. I would be in favor of upping the Wild Card limit to say 5 or 6 so people can watch more Halloween specials and seasonal things that aren't feature-length and still make them count, especially if they're gonna watch them anyway.
Old 09-26-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So do Tales From the Crypt episodes approx. 30 mins. count this time? I have about 3 seasons of that to finish up. If that's true, do 5 and 10 min. featurettes and shorts count too? I don't think that's fair. You'll get some ridiculous numbers from people if that's the case, especially from the folks that were already getting 200 or so.
Old 09-26-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So do Tales From the Crypt episodes approx. 30 mins. count this time? I have about 3 seasons of that to finish up. If that's true, do 5 and 10 min. featurettes and shorts count too? I don't think that's fair. You'll get some ridiculous numbers from people if that's the case, especially from the folks that were already getting 200 or so.
tales from the crypt episodes do not count but i think you can use them as wildcards (you get 3).
Old 09-26-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I would be in favor of upping the Wild Card limit to say 5 or 6 so people can watch more Halloween specials and seasonal things that aren't feature-length and still make them count, especially if they're gonna watch them anyway.
You've got my vote.
Old 09-26-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The rules are clear on this, that is why the 40 minute rule was removed... it was superfluous. Movies and "Legitimate stand-alone horror documentaries" only count. Then you have the 3 wildcard rule for everything else.

Last edited by Numes; 09-26-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 10:16 PM

would the hour long, or at least close to hour long documentarys on the Alien Quad and Nightmare on Elm Street collections count? I no the alien one is called Alien Evolution, but i cant remember the name of the nightmare one, i no it was on the encyclopedia disc.
Old 09-27-08, 08:54 AM

Here's another vote for upping the wildcards to 6.
Old 09-27-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided to join this year. I got to 108 last year and that was with getting married

I went through our DVD collection today and wrote down all our horror movies. So, we're making it our personal goal to watch whatever horror movies we have in our collection. I have a lot of school work to do this year, so I doubt the total will be anywhere close to last year, but ya never know
Old 09-27-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
One thing I didn't get was wouldn't it cause more fights if there's no running time rule since people can pretty much do what they want? If people complained about someone watching a 50 or a 40 minute movie before, why would it stop if someone does it now.
I would sure hope to hell people have better things to do during the challenge, like, I don't know ...watch movies. And hopefully by not having a running time there won't be any of the "your title isn't ___ minutes" nonsense.

Again, I'm fully confident that people here can differentiate between a movie, a short and a television series. And if something doesn't fall into a certain category and it gets counted anyway - who gives 3 shits? The emphasis should be on violence, gore, nudity, etc. (from the films, not reality!), and with none of the needless hairsplitting. Basically, NOT getting the thread shutdown that I and others have worked our asses off on is what we're going for here.

I would be in favor of upping the Wild Card limit to say 5 or 6 so people can watch more Halloween specials and seasonal things that aren't feature-length and still make them count, especially if they're gonna watch them anyway.
Why do you guys always bring issues like this up less than a week before it starts?! Seriously though, the wild cards are caligulathegod's baby and it's solely up to him.

The first 2 pages of this thread should answer all of your questions.

And don't worry about someone else getting high numbers. Just relax and enjoy the challenge because I'm the poor sap who gets to tabulate all the votes and weed out what does/doesn't count. I'm pretty lax on that, BTW.

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
would the hour long, or at least close to hour long documentarys on the Alien Quad and Nightmare on Elm Street collections count? I no the alien one is called Alien Evolution, but i cant remember the name of the nightmare one, i no it was on the encyclopedia disc.
If you personally feel they're both legit docs that can stand on their own then go for it.

Next year we should have random prize drawings for anyone who actually reads the first page.

Note to self: cut down on the smiley usage.

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 05:19 PM

I don't have the time to trudge through the topic but what in the blazes is "Giallo"??? Thanks
Old 09-27-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
I don't have the time to trudge through the topic but what in the blazes is "Giallo"??? Thanks
Old school Italian mystery/slashers.
Old 09-27-08, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically, it's Italian crime horror usually with a healthy dose of eroticism. A lot of Dario Argento's films fall under the term eg Deep Red, Tenebre.
Personally, I'm a big fan of Don't Torture A Duckling; arguably Lucio Fulci's most mature film
Old 09-27-08, 05:28 PM

Erm... Wow... This does seem harder than last year and it seems a few people have made themselves a lot of free time while I stupidly made a number of plans from a ball, to birthday dinners to nights out... Bah

Oh well. I'm about to dig into my dvd collection and pull what is required. Thankfully I own most of the day viewing ones with only a few I need to hutn down :/ The checklist will be my main problem.
Old 09-27-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of checklist questions, what is J Horror?
Old 09-27-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Japanese horror films - Audition, Ringu, Kwaidan, etc.

If you ever get the time here's a good explanation along with some good recommendations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giallo
Old 09-27-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

School me on Paul Naschy. What are some of his better films?

And I'm pretty much limited to the titles that Netflix currently offers:

Originally Posted by Netflix

Zombies / Blood Seekers / Orgy of Blood (2008)

Rojo Sangre (2004)

Necrophagia: Nightmare Scenarios (2004)

School Killer (2001)

Panic Beats (1983)
Latidos de panico

Mystery on Monster Island (1981)
Monster Island

The Night of the Werewolf (1980)
El Retorno del Hombre Lobo

Human Beasts (1980)
El Carnival de las Bestias

Horror Rises from the Tomb (1976)
El Espanto surge de la tumba

Exorcismo (1975)

Devil's Possessed (1974)

Horror Rises from the Tomb (1973)
El Espanto Surge De La Tumba

Vengeance of the Zombies (1973)
Rebelion de las Muertas

Crimson (1973)
Las ratas no duermen de noche

Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (1973)
Los Ojos Azules De La Muneca Rota

Curse of the Devil (1973)

Cemetery Girls / Vampire Hookers (1972)
El Gran amor del conde Dracula / Ladies of the Night

Count Dracula's Great Love (1972)

Dracula's Great Love (1972)

Werewolf Shadow (1971)
La Noche de Walpurgis, Werewolf vs. The Vampire Woman, Blood Moon, Night of the Walpurgis

Screaming Skull / The Werewolf (1971)

Serial Chillers (1969)

Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
La Marca del Hombre Lobo
I'm hoping "Horror Rises from the Tomb", "Werewolf Shadow" and "Fury of the Wolfman" aren't his best because they're all unavailable.
Old 09-27-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
School me on Paul Naschy. What are some of his better films?

I'm hoping "Horror Rises from the Tomb", "Werewolf Shadow" and "Fury of the Wolfman" aren't his best because they're all unavailable.
Werewolf Shadow is actually better than Night of the Werewolf, so bummer on that.

The only other ones I've seen are Vengeance/Zombies and Horror/Tomb. Both are decent rentals. I'm thinking of checking out "Cemetery Girls / Vampire Hookers".
Old 09-27-08, 06:54 PM

Okay, I know it's late in the game to be asking questions but I do have a few.

Does Jaws count, yes or no?

I see Godzilla is on the checklist, can I watch and count all of them or is the original the only one that counts?

What about King Kong, all count, just original, remake, none?

Here's a few others I'm unsure of (imdb doesn't list horror but whatever, worth asking.

lady in the water
snakes on a plane
cloverfield (i figure if godzilla counts...)
the village
wallace and grommit: curse of the wererabbit (perhaps?)
signs

---

Also, I know the lvie action scooby doo films won't count but what about the animated films like Scooby Doo and the witches ghost ect. On imdb some have kids horror listed, can those be counted? They are all over 60 minutes ect.

I tore my dvd collection apart, put things into genre piles ect. Now to figure out the fastest path through the checklist and align the films in the day order.

One final question. Say I watch night of the lviing dead early on to mark it off my check list, can I watch it again on the official day and only mark it off on that checklist option and not count it as another watched film?
Old 09-27-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Links to everyone's lists (so far) have been added to the 1st page of the list thread.

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Erm... Wow... This does seem harder than last year...

[snip]

The checklist will be my main problem.
You could always do what I'm planning to do, and ignore the checklist.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge, if for no other reason than it'll finally enable me to take the Sons of Kong 10-movie set, which I got free from Oldies.com six months ago, off of my unwatched list.

Rob
Old 09-27-08, 08:01 PM

I see Godzilla is on the checklist, can I watch and count all of them or is the original the only one that counts?

Here's a few others I'm unsure of (imdb doesn't list horror but whatever, worth asking.

lady in the water
snakes on a plane
the village
signs

---

Also, I know the lvie action scooby doo films won't count but what about the animated films like Scooby Doo and the witches ghost ect. On imdb some have kids horror listed, can those be counted? They are all over 60 minutes ect.

I tore my dvd collection apart, put things into genre piles ect. Now to figure out the fastest path through the checklist and align the films in the day order.

One final question. Say I watch night of the lviing dead early on to mark it off my check list, can I watch it again on the official day and only mark it off on that checklist option and not count it as another watched film?
Cloverfield is a giant monster movie, so I'm counting it as a horror movie. As for Lady in the Water, it's probably more fantasy, but there's a monster stalking people in an apartment building, so I'm counting it. I counted Signs last year and no one bitched at me for it (all my fights were about whether I could really watch that many movies in a day, not whether the movies were horror). And I'd count the live-action Scooby-Doo movies, because if we're counting the animated ones, those are no more kids horror than the live action ones. Personally, I don't give a shit what other people watch and I won't be scanning people's lists looking to rat people out for not adhering to my broad interpretation of what is and is not a horror movie, but that's just me. I watched lost of movies twice last year and only counted them once, when I watched a movie again that didn't count, I didn't number it and I bolded the entry to indicate that it didn't count toward my goal.
Old 09-27-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lady in the water
snakes on a plane
the village
signs
Jaws, Cloverfield and Snakes on a Plane all should count in my mind. I can't comment on the original King Kong, but I wouldn't count the Peter Jackson remake. There's not really any horror element to that movie.

Originally Posted by RobCA
I'm really looking forward to this challenge, if for no other reason than it'll finally enable me to take the Sons of Kong 10-movie set, which I got free from Oldies.com six months ago, off of my unwatched list.
I don't have that particular set, but I'm looking forward to the challenge partly for the same reason. I have a huge unwatched list, and this should give me good motivation to clear out 30 or 40 titles that I've never got around to watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.