Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-23-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
So, how's the '82 version of Cat People with Nastassja Kinski (extremely hot in "To the Devil a Daughter"!) anyway? I love the original and I'm sure it's superior in every way, but is the remake at least worth a rental?
It's worth a rental certainly, but the film itself is pretty dated, with lots of "atmospheric" fog and Bowie soundtrack warblings.
Old 09-24-08, 09:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
If you want the movies to be "easy to watch," Cat People is airing on TCM on the 23rd. I won't be watching it, but I wasn't planning on watching all the movies on the list anyway. So that's just one less movie I'll feel obligated to watch on a specific day.
Ok, I'm confused. Again, your choice has nothing to do with me, anyone else, the ease of watching, etc. The movie choice is entirely yours. Choose a movie that you want to watch/discuss.
Old 09-24-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Will the list thread be up today?
Old 09-24-08, 11:59 AM

Speaking of Cat People, I know this is already posted in the bargains section, but if anyone missed it there is a smoking deal on the Val Lewton Horror Collection at buy.com. $26 shipped for 9 movies. Nice.
Old 09-24-08, 12:01 PM

I vote option C: With or Without for the commentary issue. I like the option of watching with the commentary for some of the movies that I know inside and out, or have recently watched without the commentary.
Old 09-24-08, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle View Post
Speaking of Cat People, I know this is already posted in the bargains section, but if anyone missed it there is a smoking deal on the Val Lewton Horror Collection at buy.com. $26 shipped for 9 movies. Nice.
And another 1% off thru live.com. (I know it's not much, but some stores are more % off, so trying to get in the habit of checking.)
Old 09-24-08, 12:13 PM

I forget if I voted already Chad, but does option B imply that you could get a movie to count twice? I'll go against that and vote C (either way).

Agree with JediTurtle's logic of having
Originally Posted by Jediturtle View Post
the option of watching with the commentary for some of the movies that I know inside and out, or have recently watched without the commentary.
Old 09-24-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
Will the list thread be up today?

Refresh...

Refresh...

Refresh...

Refresh...

Refresh...

Old 09-24-08, 02:07 PM

With or without commentary option. I couldn't wait and watched Silent Night, Deadly Night 1 & 2 a few days ago, so I need to watch those with the commentary during the challenge.
Old 09-24-08, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
With or without commentary option. I couldn't wait and watched Silent Night, Deadly Night 1 & 2 a few days ago, so I need to watch those with the commentary during the challenge.
there's a commentary track on both of these? who knew? (I didn't)

I'm going to watch 'Vampyr' prior to the challenge and then rewatch it with the Guillermo Del Toro commentary for the challenge.
Old 09-24-08, 02:19 PM

Yeah, the special features for parts 1 and 2 on the DVD menu both listed a commentary.
Old 09-24-08, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm curious to know what, if anything, others are doing to prepare for the challenge?

I work from home and I've gotten way ahead on my schedule so that I can basically devote the month October to this contest.

My wife loves horror films nearly as much as I do and she has her favorites, so I've pulled all of them to watch in the evenings with her and not during the day.

Took advantage of the current dd sales to add in some titles I've never seen before/haven't seen for years.

I've gotten my hands on every film currently listed on the list of one film to watch a day (barring the one title yet to be officially announced but I own most of the movies being talked about).

And, most painfully, I've put myself on a horror diet. Practically fasting away from anything horror to increase my mood to watch, and watch, and watch.

Needless to say, I'm excited.
Old 09-24-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I did was look at the baseball schedule to see which nights I probably couldn't watch a movie to see if I had a chance to get to 31 movies. It may be tight depending on how far the Cubs go and how many games the playoff series take.

I also made a list of the horror DVDs I own and made a mini list of the movies I really wanted to watch.
Old 09-24-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by poster mayhem View Post
I'm curious to know what, if anything, others are doing to prepare for the challenge?

I work from home and I've gotten way ahead on my schedule so that I can basically devote the month October to this contest.

My wife loves horror films nearly as much as I do and she has her favorites, so I've pulled all of them to watch in the evenings with her and not during the day.

Took advantage of the current dd sales to add in some titles I've never seen before/haven't seen for years.

I've gotten my hands on every film currently listed on the list of one film to watch a day (barring the one title yet to be officially announced but I own most of the movies being talked about).

And, most painfully, I've put myself on a horror diet. Practically fasting away from anything horror to increase my mood to watch, and watch, and watch.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

this is essentially what i've done... i even have a schedule made for how many movies i should be watching based on whether or not i work or if i plan on going out (friday nights). luckily i work 4 10-hour days a week so that leaves me with 3 days off a week. i've got about 15 new horror movies and i have about 10 more on the way and hopefully i'll get a new CH account started with all horror titles as my enrollments selections. i've also even set up themed days like "romero day" and "giallo day" and "john carpenter day" etc. and i haven't watched a horror movie in 3 weeks and i'm losing my mind. next wednesday cannot get here soon enough.
Old 09-24-08, 03:47 PM

One thing I'm frantically doing is trying to figure out how to put my DVDs on my iphone, and get as many on there as possible. I'll be traveling some, and working my regular 40+ hours per week, so I need to get as many as possible ripped down to size for portable use.

Also canceled my eharmony account. Dating can wait a month.

31 day optional subset is done I think. As always though, I'm open to debate/tweaks/changes. Agreed that Vincent Price being properly honored was more important than a TCM viewing of a movie everyone has already or is readily available, I apologize for that little delay/strife.
Old 09-24-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My preparation is to not really prepare. In the last two years, I made myself a little list and barely followed it. I made a small list just in case, but if I don't get to many of the movies, I won't be overly disappointed.

With work, 2 young kids, a wife who doesn't care too much for horror, and the Cubs doing well this year, I'm playing it all by ear...
Old 09-24-08, 05:13 PM

Luckily my girlfriend digs horror as much as me. Also i've been DVR-ing movies off Monsters HD and SHowtime Beyond to save up. I also have burnt about 400 horror dvds in the past year. My only concern is its the beginning of TV season and her and I watch a few shows together so that will cut down my total a bit.
Old 09-24-08, 05:27 PM

Hurray! I'm one of the first 10 on the lists thread!
Old 09-24-08, 06:00 PM

I've been finishing up "The Wire" and watching as many wrestling DVD's as possible and listening to ridiculous amounts of Metal.. but that's what I usually do. So, nothing different..
Old 09-24-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
31 day optional subset is done I think. As always though, I'm open to debate/tweaks/changes. Agreed that Vincent Price being properly honored was more important than a TCM viewing of a movie everyone has already or is readily available, I apologize for that little delay/strife.
I'd also like to apologize for my part in this "incident."

With that behind us; It looks like I'll be watching about 22 of the 31 films on the list. I'm planning to set up themed days around those movies and just wing it on the other days.

I don't know if I'll be able to beat my total from last year (159), but I'm going to give it a try.
Old 09-24-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by poster mayhem View Post
I have 1,200 unwatched horror movies to go through as of today.

I've been starting to wake up earlier than normal and should be able to get through most, if not all of a movie before going to work.

I have a few monitors at work and work will be slow by the first, so I'll be able to get in maybe 2 a day.

1 movie and part of another one after work on most days.

5-7 a day on Saturday and another 5-7 on Sunday.

I'll probably get into the challenge more and start squeezing in more during the weekdays but this schedule should get me to 100 at least.

Originally Posted by Trevor
One thing I'm frantically doing is trying to figure out how to put my DVDs on my iphone, and get as many on there as possible.
Have you checked out Handbrake? Not sure if the iphone's limited in format choices but if it's not too bad, Handbrake should work.

I do the same thing with my Zune for when I'm traveling. It worked great in the past.
Old 09-24-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been perusing last years lists, and I really like this symbol:'' for a first time viewing symbol. I noticed Chad and Giles used it last year. I like it better than the asterisk. The nice thing is it is a standard ascii symbol, so you don't have to link to an image.
Old 09-24-08, 09:04 PM

6 Films to Keep You Awake..Does that really count since some of it is like 50 mins or so
Old 09-24-08, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I apologize for that little delay/strife.
Way to start a fight Trevor.

I'm avoiding watching as many horror movies as I can to gear up for the challenge. I'm failing though, because I keep slipping them in. I'm eager to watch "Bloody Birthday" since Nior Fan helped me find it. Trying to have willpower (yes, I know it's only a couple of days. I have an addiction. It's hard).
Old 09-24-08, 09:20 PM

For the commentary rule, why not kind of do a hybrid of A and C. The first time you watch the movie with or without the commentary it counts as 1, but if you watch it again doing the opposite of what you watched it before it would be half a point.

EXAMPLES

SAW with commentary

= 1 movie

SAW without commentary

= 1 movie

SAW with commentary
SAW without commentary
=1.5 movie

SAW without commentary
SAW with commentary
= 1.5 movie

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.