Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Help! I got scammed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I got scammed!

So, I went into my local Best Buy the other day to pick up Street Kings on DVD...I look at the back because I was curious as to what the special features where. Some commentaries, deleted scenes, etc...so I finally watched the movie last night (love it!) and I go looking for the special features when I only find a commentary and previews for other movies.

Someone said all the special features were only on disc 2 for the two disc set, but then I read from reviewing websites that disc 2 contains a digital copy and all the special features are on disc 1. (They reviewed the single disc editions)

Does that mean you had to get the 2 disc for the special features to be on disc 1 or do I have a bad disc or something?
Old 08-25-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Your thread title is misleading. You were not, in fact, scammed; you want to know if you were scammed. Two different things, mate. According to Best Buy's website, the only feature for the single disc release was the audio commentary.
HTML Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8868442&st=street+kings&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1886456
. If you're into features, and you have a choice among editions, go with the one with the most discs. That generally increases your chances of getting extra features.
Old 08-25-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
9/10 times when a film has a single disc and 2-disc editions the majority of the extras are found on the first disc of the 2-disc set. Same thing with Rambo. The single disc had a commentary (I believe?), whereas the 2-disc set had that plus a lot more all on the first disc and the 2nd disc was the digital copy.
Old 08-25-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Can we just blame this on the whole digital copy thing? Because I don't like those anyway.
Old 08-25-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having a hard time following this.
You said you went into Best Buy and looked at the back (of the 2-disc version, I guess?) and saw what the available Special Features were. Then based on your confusion at home, I have to assume that you put that item (the 2-disc version) down, picked something else (the 1-disc version) up, and bought that without looking at the back to see what the Special Features were on *it*? You just assumed that the Special Features were the same?
Then you came here and actually admitted to other people that you did that?

If I didn't follow correctly, please correct me, and sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-25-08, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
9/10 times when a film has a single disc and 2-disc editions the majority of the extras are found on the first disc of the 2-disc set. Same thing with Rambo. The single disc had a commentary (I believe?), whereas the 2-disc set had that plus a lot more all on the first disc and the 2nd disc was the digital copy.
9/10 times, really??? I have lots of 2-disk sets and as far as I know none of them came with a digital copy. This must be a new things with 2-disk sets because of late I've mainly stuck with the cheaper 1-disc version. Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of maximizing the potential bit-rate for the movie on a single disk without extras.
Old 08-25-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by general413
Does that mean you had to get the 2 disc for the special features to be on disc 1 or do I have a bad disc or something?
Apparently

Street Kings [Special Edition] [2 Discs] [Digital Copy]
DVD Info
Released:August 19, 2008
MPAA Rating:R
Region:1
Screen:WSE/COLOR
Language:Eng/Fre/Spa
SoundD5.1/DDS
Subtitles:Eng/Spa
Distributed By (Studio):20th Century Fox
DVD Sides:1
DVD Features
cc
Disc One:
Audio commentary by director David Ayer
Street Rules: Rolling With David Ayer and Jaime FitzSimons featurette
L.A. Bête Noir: Writing Street Kings featurette
Street Cred featurette
Deleted scenes with optional commentary by David Ayer
Alternate takes
Vignettes
Behind-the-scenes clips
Disc Two:
Digital copy of Street Kings for protable media players, including the Apple video iPod & iPhone

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-on-dvd/street-kings/
Old 08-25-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
You were not scammed. I believe someone mentioned this in another thread and it's a misprint on FOX's part.
Old 08-25-08, 02:38 PM

The back of the single disc (I did not even know there was 2 disc...it wasn't listed) had all the special features listed.
Old 08-25-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that's the case, then he kind of was scammed. It's false advertising.
Old 08-25-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The back of the single disc (I did not even know there was 2 disc...it wasn't listed) had all the special features listed.
If it is a misprint, then take the single-disc edition back to the store with your receipt, explain that, and pick up the two-disc edition.
Old 08-25-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bsmith
9/10 times, really??? I have lots of 2-disk sets and as far as I know none of them came with a digital copy. This must be a new things with 2-disk sets because of late I've mainly stuck with the cheaper 1-disc version. Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of maximizing the potential bit-rate for the movie on a single disk without extras.

Sorry, I should have specified that LATELY most new releases are structured this way. This is a new trend that hopefully will die a painful death.
Old 08-25-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I agree. If the back of the 1-Disc says special features, and there are none but commentary, he did get scammed. Not by Best Buy though, but by Fox. I don't think Best Buy can fix the issue, but I'd be making a phone call to Fox if it were me.
Old 08-25-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is a commentary not a special feature anymore?

I would say this isn't so much a "scam" as an unfortunate event due to ignorance.
Old 08-25-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain

I would say this isn't so much a "scam" as an unfortunate event due to ignorance.
If the packaging specifically listed commentary, deleted scenes, outtakes and a trailer and you got home and all it had was a commentary, wouldn't you be pissed? A commentary is a special feature, but so are the other ones. If the package SPECIFICALLY lists those features but does not contain them, then it's a problem imo.

However, looking at the two covers, they are easily mistakable and the OP just may not have noticed or Best Buy had some mixed up.

I can't find any pics of the back of the case though.
Old 08-25-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvdempire has the back covers and only the 2-disc version lists all the extras he thought he was gonna get. the one disc only lists audio commentary.
Old 08-25-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
dvdempire has the back covers and only the 2-disc version lists all the extras he thought he was gonna get. the one disc only lists audio commentary.
Issue resolved then. Pay attention OP. Looking at the covers though that I posted earlier, I'm sure it was easy to get them mixed up. But you didn't get scammed.
Old 08-25-08, 08:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
this thread sucks.

I was expecting a 'Borat' bootleg disc thread, and got this??????
Old 08-25-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread definitely did not deliver.

Look into the releases for Juno - you'll find the exact same scenario.

The 2-Disc set had all of the extras on the first disc, but the single disc release was missing a lot of the extras even though there was clearly room on the disc.
Old 08-25-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
HTML Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8868442&st=street+kings&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1886456
I don't think I've ever seen anyone in this forum provide a link like that. That's just...weird.
Old 08-25-08, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
this thread sucks.

I was expecting a 'Borat' bootleg disc thread, and got this??????
Same. Those threads are classic.
Old 08-26-08, 02:01 AM
Suspended

Speaking of scams, where's sillymonkey when you need her ? he he he...
Old 08-26-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I disagree.

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain

Exactly! Stop believeing what stores tell you and do the research yourself. Why anyone goes to that store and then complains about products or services is beyond me.
Old 08-26-08, 10:02 AM

I know what I am doing...I'm not some person who goes to a Best Buy once a month or something. I am always there buying things, spending tons of money a week. I know how to look for deals and find the best DVDs.

I looked at the back of the Street Kings DVD (like I always do when I buy a movie) to make sure it is Widescreen, see the special features, etc...I saw no 2 Discs at best buy and on the back of the 1 disc edition, it listed all the special features.

If I am on the boarder about buying a movie, sometimes special features can push me to the "buy it" range if they include something good. I felt that the special features included on disc 1 were good, so I decided to get the movie. I was scammed in the fact that if those special features were not included, I may have not gotten the movie at that time and waited for a better sale or something.
Old 08-26-08, 10:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I know what I am doing...
[obligatory] So then you only pay $4.50 - $5 for all new releases thru CH and never buy anything at BB? [/obligatory]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.