Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count de Monet
Is that the final sleeve art? I don't mean to sound like an anal retentive armchair cover designer but isn't it weird that the Star Wars logo is horizontal on the original trilogy spine and vertical on the prequel trilogy spine?

I'm not buying this set but this seems like yet another example of someone at LFL not paying attention.
I noticed that, too, and it bothers me. Not buying them, but still. And again, the original trilogy box should say "Original Trilogy" on the front to better match the artwork on the prequel trilogy box.

--THX
Old 08-28-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Twiggystar
From www.starwars.com

Star Wars Saga Repacked in Trilogy Sets on DVD

August 28, 2008
There's nothing new in this set you don't already have.
If only all DVD reissue press releases were so clear.

I honestly have to give them a thumbs up on this one.
Old 08-28-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milo bloom

wow - pretty up front. it could only have been more so if the release started with that line. another .
Old 08-29-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Lucas, just give us the damn movies on BD already and go piss off. I will not be buying this set of movies.
Old 08-29-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

My thoughts exactly!
Old 08-29-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry if ot, but i felt this justified itself...

i nearly fainted when i saw this set thinking it was for dvds instead of books. and i believe it is technically anamorphic too!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=900184

ps - not that it will help much, but i do not believe you may apply that $50 iron man exclusive to the purchase price of this set.
Old 08-29-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That brings it down to $3950! What a steal!
Old 08-30-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hindolio
sorry if ot, but i felt this justified itself...

i nearly fainted when i saw this set thinking it was for dvds instead of books. and i believe it is technically anamorphic too!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=900184

ps - not that it will help much, but i do not believe you may apply that $50 iron man exclusive to the purchase price of this set.
Very nice set, and a cool idea to fill six volumes with iconic imagery from the movies. But $4,000? Ouch. I can imagine maybe half that much if you're a hardcore collector and have money to burn.

--THX
Old 08-30-08, 10:26 AM
Banned

Happy with the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs I've already got.
Old 08-30-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dbwrestling
Happy with the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs I've already got.

The only way Lucas is going to get me to double dip again on these bad boys is to put out an ULTIMATE SET, with EVERYTHING they have in the vaults on all six movies. EVERY documentary, EVERY TV special, EVERY bonus feature from all the current in print and out of print versions of the movies on any format, and I mean down to the full series sets of the cartoons, Clone Wars, and all of it.

It would be a massive set, granted. They might be able to make it a smaller set on Blu-Ray, and that would certainly make me look into buying a Blu-Ray player (I am holding off simply because I don't see EVER owning a full 1080 TV, and the regular 720-740 -whatever- TVs would make my current DVD collection look really good as well.)
Old 08-31-08, 07:01 AM
Banned

Yeah I won't be parting with more cash unless a set more like that you mentioned comes out. That sounds great.
Old 09-03-08, 05:56 AM

They should release a complete set with ALL store-exclusive bonus discs plus the original trilogy in anamorphic. That would definitely make me double dip.
Old 09-03-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original Star Wars movies were favorites of mine through a good portion of my life, but I still do not have them on DVD and will not buy them on DVD or any other format until Lucas quits shitting on the fans and gives us good Anamorphic remastered editions of the original unfucked with films.
Old 09-03-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsl76
The original Star Wars movies were favorites of mine through a good portion of my life, but I still do not have them on DVD and will not buy them on DVD or any other format until Lucas quits shitting on the fans and gives us good Anamorphic remastered editions of the original unfucked with films.
That makes sense....

...if the media is more important to you than the films themselves.
Old 09-04-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
That makes sense....

...if the media is more important to you than the films themselves.
I can't let this comment go.

In this day and age, for better or worse, like it or not, the media is the film.

I've always tried to make sure my complaints about this particular issue had their own unique flavor, basically, I'm not spouting anything about how Lucas "owes the fans" to release better versions of these on DVD, or anything equally hysterical:

I feel that he owes the films themselves the respect of being viewed in the best possible format. On DVD that means 16x9 enhancement. Sure I can watch them on my VHS and Laserdiscs, but once DVD raised the bar (and now HD formats), it kinda seems a little pathetic to not do otherwise.
Old 09-04-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Count de Monet
Is that the final sleeve art? I don't mean to sound like an anal retentive armchair cover designer but isn't it weird that the Star Wars logo is horizontal on the original trilogy spine and vertical on the prequel trilogy spine?

I'm not buying this set but this seems like yet another example of someone at LFL not paying attention.
Nothing new considering the only way to correctly match up my current DVD complete series is to buy the Fullscreen version of the OT boxset.

The spine colors for the prequel trilogy is gold. the spine color for the OT (widescreen) is silver. A minor annoyance, I know, but I believe the fullscreen OT spines are gold as well.
Old 09-04-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though, with the exception of ANH, I own these movies in fullscreen, there is really no reason for me to buy this.
Old 09-05-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Nothing new considering the only way to correctly match up my current DVD complete series is to buy the Fullscreen version of the OT boxset.

The spine colors for the prequel trilogy is gold. the spine color for the OT (widescreen) is silver. A minor annoyance, I know, but I believe the fullscreen OT spines are gold as well.
Yeah, really, what the fuck was up with that?

At least the spines on the WS 2-disc OT DVDs (w/ the bonus disc containing the unaltered film) is gold.
Old 09-05-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blued888
They should release a complete set with ALL store-exclusive bonus discs
Unless I'm forgotten something, there has never been a store-exclusive Star Wars bonus disc, so releasing ALL of them should be easy.
Old 09-05-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Unless I'm forgotten something, there has never been a store-exclusive Star Wars bonus disc, so releasing ALL of them should be easy.
There was a bonus DVD with the ROTS soundtrack, but I can't remember if it was an exclusive.
Old 09-05-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the soundtrack disc was an exclusive, but Wal-Mart had an exclusive Story of Star Wars disc that I think came with Ep 2.

Here's the IMDB page

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0458493/
Old 09-07-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
i can't let this comment go.

In this day and age, for better or worse, like it or not, the media is the film.

I've always tried to make sure my complaints about this particular issue had their own unique flavor, basically, i'm not spouting anything about how lucas "owes the fans" to release better versions of these on dvd, or anything equally hysterical:

I feel that he owes the films themselves the respect of being viewed in the best possible format. On dvd that means 16x9 enhancement. Sure i can watch them on my vhs and laserdiscs, but once dvd raised the bar (and now hd formats), it kinda seems a little pathetic to not do otherwise.
amen!!!
Old 09-07-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the soundtrack disc was an exclusive, but Wal-Mart had an exclusive Story of Star Wars disc that I think came with Ep 2.

Here's the IMDB page

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0458493/
It came with Episode 3.

Also there was the R2D2 disc that Best Buy had.
Old 09-07-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would like all the films on blu-ray but we all know that's going to be a while before that happens. Lucas won't be sure Blu-Ray is a true format to market to until Blu-Ray is making DVD wipe itself with a pair of depends.

I'm perfectly content with the DVD releases though. I would like the original 4-6 trilogy, but I'm not one who really hated the 'newer' version. So I'm fine. The only REAL complaint I have for myself personally, is that Episode I needs a re-release. It looks like crap and it needs to be remastered for DVD.
Old 10-27-08, 11:07 PM

Does anyone have any pics of this in hand yet? I saw some pics of the R2 version and it looks like they were repackaging them in slim 7MM cases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.