Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who cares about BD? (I'm still bitter over Firefly BD getting extras that aren't on regular DVD's). I would like remastered versions that aren't on flippers.
Those of us with Blu-ray players that are interested in owning the franchise in high def...

I have a BD player and while I would rush out to buy a standard def release I'd rather have a BD one. Why cry for a remaster if you don't even want a higher grade video release of the series? I can understand if you don't have a Blu-ray player, but at some point down the line technology will warrant even BD discs as "of the past." I'd prefer the best audio/visual representation we can currently get of this series in the meantime... even if it's in a format not everyone has embraced yet.
Old 08-08-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
who cares about BD? (I'm still bitter over Firefly BD getting extras that aren't on regular DVD's). I would like remastered versions that aren't on flippers.
Lots of people care about BDs.

And the current box set isn't flippers. The movies are only an hour and a half, they're on one side of one disc.
Old 08-08-08, 08:10 PM

I saw the remastered versions in HD on Monsters HD and they all looked really good. I'd be in for the Blu box only if there was a 3D version of Part 3 since it should work pretty well on Blu. As for everything else, getting the uncut versions would be a plus. It would be cool on the Blu set to have both versions of the films.
Old 08-08-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
Those of us with Blu-ray players that are interested in owning the franchise in high def...

I have a BD player and while I would rush out to buy a standard def release I'd rather have a BD one. Why cry for a remaster if you don't even want a higher grade video release of the series? I can understand if you don't have a Blu-ray player, but at some point down the line technology will warrant even BD discs as "of the past." I'd prefer the best audio/visual representation we can currently get of this series in the meantime... even if it's in a format not everyone has embraced yet.
yea, but there is a HD section for the BD fanatics, while DVD section is for those lowly simpletons who are content with their standard players. I didn't like the comment about why we shouldn't be excited for a new DVD of it if it's not Blu when there's a whole HD section for BD owners
Old 08-08-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
And the current box set isn't flippers. The movies are only an hour and a half, they're on one side of one disc.
wow, thanks for telling me. I avoided the set for four years because I hate flipper discs and assumed it would be pt. 1 on one side, pt. 2 on the other, etc...
Old 08-08-08, 10:17 PM

Why does EVERYONE here hate flippers so much? It's better than having twice as many discs. Oh wow, you have to get up off your couch and TURN THE DISC OVER. Come on people, talk about not that big of a deal.
Old 08-08-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Why does EVERYONE here hate flippers so much? It's better than having twice as many discs. Oh wow, you have to get up off your couch and TURN THE DISC OVER. Come on people, talk about not that big of a deal.
1. they're easy to scratch (especially if you use a DVD book or something)

2. there is a high "dud" ratio with the discs, especially Universal's DVD-18's
Old 08-08-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're far more likely to get fingerprints, debris and scratches on a flipper disc.
Old 08-09-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I've had to replace a few flippers cause they get scuffed up easier.
Old 08-09-08, 07:16 AM

and flippers are ugly and lack artwork.
Old 08-09-08, 11:20 AM

yea, but there is a HD section for the BD fanatics, while DVD section is for those lowly simpletons who are content with their standard players. I didn't like the comment about why we shouldn't be excited for a new DVD of it if it's not Blu when there's a whole HD section for BD owners
Nobody made any comment about not being excited for the DVD release if there wasn't a BD release....
And please, also release a Blu-ray version. That would not only make my day, but the entire year.
Just give me the damn Blu-ray versions
Hopefully news comes that a BD version will be available the same day.
Great that you're content with standard def. I'm sure there are people who are content with CD releases of popular music but that doesn't mean people who prefer digital downloads aren't allowed to hope for that.

The BD section is more or less about release info/questions about BD's in the works or released, etc. A senseless extra thread of "Hopefully the new f13th boxset will come in BD too!" followed by 10-20 posts of "I would buy that!" is not necessary in this case.
Old 08-09-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the few that own multi-disc players, I could see where the problem is.

I hate flippers due to the "dud" factor. Not only DVD-18s, but I've had a few DVD-10s that have had issues.
Old 08-10-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another important thing about the current box set. Is it is the only way to get the complete original R rated version of part 1. The bare bones dvd release is a strange hybrid print that contains one uncut death scene, and the killers death scene at the end is ruined, by being cut even further than the R rated version!

And some sound effects missing and color timing issues on part 4 have also been fixed.

So despite some flaws in terms of how the box set was put together as cheaply as possible and rushed out. It's not that bad, and has some positives about it. Mainly excellent transfers for the films and great audio quality, and defects from the single releases being fixed.
Old 08-10-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
Nobody made any comment about not being excited for the DVD release if there wasn't a BD release....

Great that you're content with standard def. I'm sure there are people who are content with CD releases of popular music but that doesn't mean people who prefer digital downloads aren't allowed to hope for that.

The BD section is more or less about release info/questions about BD's in the works or released, etc. A senseless extra thread of "Hopefully the new f13th boxset will come in BD too!" followed by 10-20 posts of "I would buy that!" is not necessary in this case.
true. I respect you if you have BD and made the upgrade. But it seems like there is always a lot of threadcrapping for BD fanatics who look down at those of us who still buy standard (1. I don't even have a HD set, 2. I don't even care for expensive action movies that have to be seen in the best quality possible... in my entire DVD collection, the Alien movies and possibly eventual remasters of Buffy The Vampire Slayer episodes are the only things I have that would really be superior on BD over the standard DVD. For a lot of older sitcoms, concert videos, video collections, South Park [which is fairly primitive animation], movies from the 70's and 80's, etc...., an upgrade isn't really necessary) instead of letting the DVD fans enjoy ourselves here, when they have a thread of their own. It's become standard to call SACD/DVD-Audio fanatics threadcrappers in the music board with the "well, if it's not DVD-Audio, I'm not buying the U2 remasters" type mentality, I think the same applies to people who get upset if something gets remastered in DVD. I mean, you guys are getting extras for Firefly that us lowly DVD buyers have to upgrade in order to get, so I think it's more than a fair trade.
Old 08-11-08, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

true. I respect you if you have BD and made the upgrade. But it seems like there is always a lot of threadcrapping for BD fanatics who look down at those of us who still buy standard .

You don't know what you're talking about.

Nobody was threadcrapping, Paramount has not confirmed anything yet about this set and I just made a point that I would like these releases on BD because I already have the current box set. Is there something wrong with that. Until the facts are out about the new set, we can comment all we want about what we would like.

I still buy SD releases if it's a film I want and there is no release on BD. For example, all upcoming Code Red releases. The upcoming Child's Play and Pumpkinhead releases... etc...

I don't care if you don't have BD and I don't "look down" at people that still buy them. That is ridiculous.

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 08-11-08 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
You don't know what you're talking about.

Nobody was threadcrapping, Paramount has not confirmed anything yet about this set and I just made a point that I would like these releases on BD because I already have the current box set. Is there something wrong with that. Until the facts are out about the new set, we can comment all we want about what we would like.

I still buy SD releases if it's a film I want and there is no release on BD. For example, all upcoming Code Red releases. The upcoming Child's Play and Pumpkinhead releases... etc...

I don't care if you don't have BD and I don't "look down" at people that still buy them. That is ridiculous.
true. I respect you if you have BD and made the upgrade. But it seems like there is always a lot of threadcrapping for BD fanatics who look down at those of us who still buy standard (1. I don't even have a HD set, 2. I don't even care for expensive action movies that have to be seen in the best quality possible... in my entire DVD collection, the Alien movies and possibly eventual remasters of Buffy The Vampire Slayer episodes are the only things I have that would really be superior on BD over the standard DVD. For a lot of older sitcoms, concert videos, video collections, South Park [which is fairly primitive animation], movies from the 70's and 80's, etc...., an upgrade isn't really necessary) instead of letting the DVD fans enjoy ourselves here, when they have a thread of their own. It's become standard to call SACD/DVD-Audio fanatics threadcrappers in the music board with the "well, if it's not DVD-Audio, I'm not buying the U2 remasters" type mentality, I think the same applies to people who get upset if something gets remastered in DVD. I mean, you guys are getting extras for Firefly that us lowly DVD buyers have to upgrade in order to get, so I think it's more than a fair trade.
As much as I would love BD to take off and become the next format; I don't "look down" at people who are still buying DVDs. I agree; it's ridiculous.

Well I personally don't see how people can't tell much of a difference; people can buy whatever the heck they want. If you don't have a HDTV and don't plan on getting one for awhile and are happy with what you got that's great. No one is saying DVD sucks, Blu-ray is better. People, including myself are just hoping a BD release will also be available for those who own BD players. That's all. People do threadcrap on subjects like this, but I really haven't seen anyone do it in this thread.
Old 08-11-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to me BD is like SACD/DVD-Audio, for people who have $3000 stereos, that is needed over typical CD. While for the average person, CD's suffice, or even mp3's. I think the same goes with DVD vs. Blu. If you're a hardcore fan of $150 million budget action flicks and have a large screen, BluRay suffices, if you aren't a big fan of that genre, and you don't necessarily have a large tv, regular DVD is just fine.

How much better can Friday The 13th movies look on Blu? I can see maybe Jason X, since that was more action-oriented and had a much larger budget. But the original Friday cost less than $1 million to make and is nearly 30 years old. It's not necessarily The Empire Strikes Back or Alien in terms of a movie shot in 1979.

Last edited by nothingfails; 08-11-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 02:46 PM

If you're a hardcore fan of $150 million budget action flicks and have a large screen, BluRay suffices, if you aren't a big fan of that genre, and you don't necessarily have a large tv, regular DVD is just fine.
While I'm also not always a fan of bloated budget action films, I do happen to love cinematography and can see the benefit of a better image. It seems like you are insulting BluRay buyers as fans of a genre you don't think too highly of? ... though I guess we are all in a F13 thread

Oh, BTW I haven't gone Blu yet... waiting to buy the TV... but my old tube finally died a few weeks ago so it's really just a matter of a few weeks before I cave in! We do have a Blu player on the HDTV in our living room though.

Oh, and I will most definitely repurchase this set... I'm a sucker for Mr. Voorhees.
Old 08-11-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it was low-budget, but Friday the 13th was filmed in 35mm with Panavision cameras, so a Blu-ray will replicate the quality of a 35mm print.

My mouth is salivating just thinking about it...
Old 08-11-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think we need to worry about any of this.

Since it's Paramount and this is about Friday the 13th, at best we'll just get a reissue of the old set and at worst it'll have some features removed. I don't see the company that tried to kill off the series doing anything special.
Old 08-11-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Assuming I will be making the jump to BD in the near future, I will most likely wait for that release unless a DVD set is something really special which I doubt will be the case. I owned every movie individually, then bought the box set. I'm not really looking forward to spending more cash on this franchise for one or two mediocre extras. I really HOPE all of us naysayers are proven wrong though.
Old 08-11-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
While I'm also not always a fan of bloated budget action films, I do happen to love cinematography and can see the benefit of a better image. It seems like you are insulting BluRay buyers as fans of a genre you don't think too highly of? ... though I guess we are all in a F13 thread

Oh, BTW I haven't gone Blu yet... waiting to buy the TV... but my old tube finally died a few weeks ago so it's really just a matter of a few weeks before I cave in! We do have a Blu player on the HDTV in our living room though.

Oh, and I will most definitely repurchase this set... I'm a sucker for Mr. Voorhees.
well, I am just saying that IMO, movies that would really be worth the repurchase on Blu are movies of the Star Wars, LOTR, Spiderman, Batman, Transformers, Indiana Jones, Alien, Terminator, James Bond, Harry Potter, Pirates Of The Caribbean variety which are really meant to be seen the best way possible and have big budgets and lots of detail emphasis and special effects and wide angles aand everything that totally has to be seen on the big screen and in the best way possible. A low budget horror movie from over 25 years ago such as Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, Sleepaway Camp, Evil Dead and others are only going to look so good because of limitations such as age and budget. I can understand why people demand Star Wars and Indiana Jones on BluRay, those movies are best appreciated and definately would look better on a larger screen, but I don't see how much better you can make something like this look. For the most part, I am not a big fan of action movies, so combined with the fact that my TV isn't big enough to really see a noticable difference, I see no point in upgrading to BluRay anytime in the next few years. Most of what I have on DVD look as good as they're gonna get and aren't exactly LOTR type of flicks.
Old 08-12-08, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How much better can Friday The 13th movies look on Blu?
As others have said, and has been pointed out numerous times in the HD forum, as good as any other movie. That's the whole point. If you do the work right, there's no reason Friday the 13th can't sparkle on BD just like a newer movie. It won't be crystal clear, but it can look like HD.
Old 08-12-08, 05:20 AM

I'm not a Blu ray person either. For me, I would like to see remastered/cleaned up SD versions. Hopefully they will put back any deleted scenes that are missing from the theatrical versions. I don't expect commentaries, although it would be nice. I have the boxset, so if they don't remaster them, I'll pass on it.

Last edited by Clockwork; 08-12-08 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-12-08, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't think we need to worry about any of this.

Since it's Paramount and this is about Friday the 13th, at best we'll just get a reissue of the old set and at worst it'll have some features removed. I don't see the company that tried to kill off the series doing anything special.
I agree. Were all these films released "uncut" in Europe? How many films in this series have already been released uncut on dvd in other regions? Has there ever been any official confirmation that Paramount still has uncut prints available with decent elements? According to the IMDb, Warner Brothers released the original "Friday the 13th" in the UK, Germany, Brazil. Does Warner Brothers have an uncut print and if so does Paramount own the rights to it here in the USA? I just feel there are too many rights issues to think Paramount would appease their fan base with uncut prints of these movies. Fans can wetdream all they want but I'm afraid Paramount is going to come up dry on this one...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.