Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – Ultimate Collectors Edition ---> 7/28/2009

Home Media Retailing reporting July 28th 2009 release in both blu Ray and DVD:

Warner Celebrates 40 Years of Woodstock
Author: BILLY GIL
[email protected]
Posted: August 6, 2008
Email this Story to Friend

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music
Warner Home Video plans to release a 40th anniversary ultimate collectors edition DVD and Blu-ray Disc of the Oscar-winning original Woodstock concert film Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music July 28, 2009. The title also will be available as a standalone DVD.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – Ultimate Collectors Edition will include several never-before-released festival performances in their entirety. The film will have been in an 18-month moratorium when it is released.

The release was announced just before the 39th anniversary of the seminal rock show that took place Aug. 15, 1969.

“The music, artists and spirit of Woodstock resonate as strongly today as in 1969,” said Jeff Baker, Warner’s EVP and GM of theatrical catalog. “We’re certain the film will strike a chord with those who remember, and may have even attended, Woodstock, but we also believe the music — some in extended cuts — will appeal to today’s youth generation who not only love rock music but are equally as committed now to the values surrounding Woodstock, like spirit of community, caring for the environment and idealistic change.

“Additionally, since we think of the ultimate collector’s edition as our ‘signature dish,’ if you will, we’re very excited that we’ll be giving the same attention to this iconic film as we have to our other top-tier titles such as ‘Harry Potter,’ Blade Runner, JFK and the upcoming Casablanca and A Christmas Story.”

The included four-hour director’s cut has been remastered from the film’s original elements, with supervision by director Michael Wadleigh. Original Woodstock chief engineer Eddie Kramer is overseeing the 5.1 audio mix of newly included footage.

The restored and remastered film will include previously unreleased full performances by The Who, Joe Cocker, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Country Joe McDonald and Country Joe and the Fish, with more to be announced. Special features will include new perspectives from musicians and celebrities on the cultural significance of Woodstock.

Additional special features will include filmmaker commentary; replicas of handwritten notes from festival-goers; a 40-minute documentary film by Robert Kline called “The ’60s and the Woodstock Generation,” adapted from his book Children of the 60s; studio archive letters and other collectible items.

A multimillion dollar marketing campaign will include print, TV, online and viral advertising, with major promotional tie-ins.

“Woodstock was more than just a concert; it was an event. It was a time for our generation to speak up and let everyone know we had a voice,” said musician and Woodstock alumni David Crosby. “Whether you were there or are discovering the film for the first time, it still holds up 40 years later and now will speak to a whole new generation.”
Old 08-06-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, almost a year from now.
Old 08-06-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Far out, man
Old 08-06-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe its just me, but i hope they get rid of the split screen stuff, as it gets very annoying on the current dvd. Also, i really hate how with Hendrix performance, it looks like it was shot 1:85 widescreen, but its got black bars on all 4 sides (but barely), seemlingly to cover for overscan, but its still anoying.
Old 08-06-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An extended Gimme Shelter would be far more interesting. Love to see David Crosby weigh in on that one.
Old 08-06-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Looking forward to double-dipping on this one!
Old 08-06-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish for a release of Cocksucker Blues... But that will never happen.
Old 08-06-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Included in the recently released Robert Frank: The Complete Film Works, Volume Three, though Steidl Publishing's outrageous list price of $125.00 for each three dvd set prices the releases outside the budgets of most. Cool packaging though. Each Frank set is $90.00 for B & N members. With coupons the price becomes a bit more manageable, though still ridiculous.
Old 08-06-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks great!
Old 08-07-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in for it!
Old 08-07-08, 07:32 AM

Alright! I can finally rid myself of the flipper disc and we get what looks like some kick ass extras. The Blu upgrade should be well worth the wait.
Old 08-07-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
It's out there on bootleg. I got one.
Old 08-07-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With the previous DVD now OOP, this was inevitable, especially considering that next year is the fortieth anniversary of the original concert.

Of course I will buy this to replace my flipper; it's one of the best documentaries of all time.
Old 08-10-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Superdaddy
With the previous DVD now OOP, this was inevitable, especially considering that next year is the fortieth anniversary of the original concert.

Of course I will buy this to replace my flipper; it's one of the best documentaries of all time.
I agree wholeheartedly, and will gladly replace my double vhs copy when this one comes out. Never got the flipper, because it was a flipper.
Old 08-10-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
It's out there on bootleg. I got one.
As do I, but it looks and sounds like crap. I haven't seen any reviews of the Frank dvd sets, but I'm assuming the PQ is improved. The high price point is a major sticking point though.
Old 03-19-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – Ultimate Collectors Edition ---> 7/28/2009

Details for this release have been announced; apparently it will street in June rather than July as originally stated. There will be a two-disc SD version with just the remastered movie, as well as SD and BD UCE's with an additional disc containing performances not included in the film, plus featurettes.

The UCE will also come with various memorabilia.

Amazon's pre-order pages indicate that both SD and BD UCE's purchased from them will have yet another, amazon-exclusive disc with even more previously unreleased performances and featurettes.

For me, this is the DVD announcement of the year. Been waiting for this since it was announced last year.

Amazon's listings for these sets also have a short featurette that you can stream, which may start a controversy: it shows overdubs being added to a Santana track that will be included in the bonus features. While this is certainly not a rare practice with recorded live music, this is the original Woodstock and thus has more than passing historical interest. Some may want the best sound possible; others may want the performances as they were, warts and all.

For me personally, I've already pre-ordered the UCE. I have avoided them thus far, as I have no real use for the extra trinkets they include, and the
DVDs they contain are usually available separately. However, for this release the UCE is the only way to get the extra performances, and I really want those.

I got the following press release from HTF; the original is even longer
so I've shortened it a bit. Those who want the full text can find it in this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...on-dvd-bd.html

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music
The Director’s Cut
40th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Celebrating the Greatest Rock Concert in History!
On Blu-ray and DVD June 9 from Warner Home Video

Three hours of enhanced content includes two hours of
bonus performances, some unearthed after four decades,
with five groups who performed but never appeared in the film

Burbank, CA, March 11, 2009 – Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – the four-hour director’s cut of the 1970 Oscar®-winning documentary about the landmark music event that featured some of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performers in history -- will be released June 9 in a spectacular new limited, numbered Blu-ray and DVD Ultimate Collector’s Edition (UCE). With two extra hours of rare performance footage -- some of it newly-discovered, some only seen in part and some never seen at all -- the UCE is destined to make its own history. Details of the new releases will be featured at the South by Southwest Music + Film Festival where Warner Home Video will offer festival goers a first look at the new high definition picture and sound on March 21.

The two extra hours of rare performance footage features 18 new performances as never before seen from 13 groups, including Joan Baez, Country Joe McDonald, Santana, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker and five (Paul Butterfield, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Grateful Dead, Johnny Winter and Mountain) who played at Woodstock but never appeared in any film version.

A third hour of bonus material also on the UCE includes a featurette gallery showcasing interviews with Martin Scorsese, producer Michael Lang, director Michael Wadleigh, Hugh Hefner, Eddie Kramer (the concert’s original chief on-site engineer and producer-engineer for Jimi Hendrix) and others who chronicle the making of the festival and the film. Included are such segments as 3 Days in a Truck, No Rain! No Rain! and Living Up To Idealism. Additionally, exclusive to Blu-ray a Customize Your Own Woodstock Playlist from the 18 bonus performances and other special features like Media Center, My WB Commentary and Live Community Screening.

The UCE will be packaged in a unique giftbox, numbered as part of a limited run with an array of collectibles that include a 60+ page reprint of a Life magazine commemorative issue, a lucite lenticular display of vintage festival photos, festival memorabilia and an iron-on patch with the classic dove and guitar Woodstock emblem.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music was newly remastered from original elements and scanned at 2K with an audio 5.1 mix. Eddie Kramer, Woodstock sound engineer, assisted with the 5.1 audio mix of recently found additional footage. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be available in Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($69.99 SRP) as well as DVD ($59.98 SRP). Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music will also be available on DVD as a Two-Disc Special Edition ($24.98 SRP).

WOODSTOCK Ultimate Collector’s Edition DVD Contents:
Disc One
· Film (Director’s Cut), Part 1 128:38 min
· The Museum at Bethel Woods: The Story of the Sixties & Woodstock

Disc Two
· Film (Director’s Cut), Part 2 95:34 min

Disc Three
· Woodstock: Untold Stories 18 Performances as never before seen
· Woodstock: From Festival to Feature Interviews of the sights and sounds of the 3 day event, from concert goers, promoters, crew and musicians

Blu-ray Hi-Def Exclusive:
· Customize Your Own Woodstock Playlist (from the 18 bonus performances)
o This feature allows you to customize your own personal jukebox playlist from more than a dozen live Woodstock performances as never before seen.

· BD-Live features include Media Center, My WB Commentary, & Live Community Screening
o Media Center is a hub for trailers, features and content
§ You can get sneak peeks of upcoming Warner Bros. films, and rate trailers
§ You can access to Exclusive Content such as interviews, featurettes, and more only seen through WB BD-Live
§ You can access Photo Galleries and other special features

o Live Community Screenings allow you to send invitations to fans and friends across the country for virtual screenings at a specified time and chat online with each other as the movie plays on each person’s Blu-ray player. You can host your own Live Community Screening with your buddy list or participate in a WB hosted Warner Bros. BD-Live community event

o My WB Commentary lets you record and post a Picture-in-Picture commentary right over the film, then share it and rate it. Using a web-camera, you can record your own comments and play them back as a Picture-in-Picture feature over the film scene you have chosen and share it with your friends or the entire Warner Bros. BD-Live Community

See below complete description of new performances and featurettes

Woodstock 3 Days of Peace & Music
Street Date: June 9

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

WOODSTOCK ULTIMATE COLLECTORS EDITION
BAND ROSTER – 22 BANDS TOTAL
· Arlo Guthrie
· Canned Heat
· Country Joe & the Fish
· Country Joe McDonald
· Creedence Clearwater Revival
· Crosby, Stills, Nash
· Grateful Dead
· Janis Joplin
· Jefferson Airplane
· Jimi Hendrix
· Joan Baez
· Joe Cocker
· John Sebastian
· Johnny Winter
· Mountain
· Paul Butterfield Blues Band
· Richie Havens
· Santana
· Sha-Na-Na
· Sly & The Family Stone
· Ten Years After
· The Who

FULL DESCRIPTION OF 18 BONUS PERFORMANCES
· Joan Baez “One Day at a Time”
· Country Joe McDonald “Flying High”
· Santana “Evil Ways”
· Canned Heat “I’m Her Man” and “On the Road Again”
· Mountain “Beside the Sea” and “Southbound Train”
· Grateful Dead “Turn On Your Love Light”
· Creedence Clearwater Revival “Born on the Bayou”, “I’ve Put a Spell on You” and "Keep on Chooglin’”
· The Who “We’re Not Going To Take It” and “My Generation”
· Jefferson Airplane “3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds”
· Joe Cocker “Something’s Coming On”
· Johnny Winter “Mean Town Blues”
· Paul Butterfield “Morning Sunrise”
· Sha Na Na “Teen Angel”

FULL DESCRIPTION OF
WOODSTOCK FROM FESTIVAL TO FEATURE

· The Camera: The Éclair NPR was the best camera around in 1969; Michael Wadleigh talks about why the Éclair was the right camera for this film.
· 365,000 Feet of Film: The stories of how Dale Bell and his crew begged, borrowed and stole just enough film to document the festival.
· Shooting Stage: Those up-close shots of performers didn’t just happen by magic; see how Wadleigh and his cameramen got those up close and personal shots of the performers.
· The Line Up: The Who, Sha Na Na, Santana, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane and many more; how did all these bands get on the roster for the festival of a life time?
· Holding the Negative Hostage: What does a filmmaker do when Technicolor is sending a copy of your negative to the studio without your permission? Well, you lock up the film and hire a lawyer.
· Announcements: “Don’t take the brown acid” or maybe it was green. We’ll hear about all the strange and informative announcements heard during those three days of peace, love and enlightenment.
· Suits VS. Longhairs: The clash between the hippie filmmakers and the Warner executives who didn’t understand what this film meant.
· Documenting History: Find out from Michael Wadleigh and Dale Bell, along with filmmakers, where the idea of capturing this event on film came from.
· Woodstock: The Journey: Some came by car, others by truck, a few came by helicopter but most walked to the most famous festival in history.
· Pre-Production: We’ll find out how this production got off the ground and meet the members of the crew that made it happen.
· Production: How many cameras were used? How much film did they go through? Did anyone sleep? All these questions and more will be answered here as we explore how Woodstock was captured on film.
· Synchronization: How do you sync all this material with out any slates? No slate, no problem. With the help of an upright Moviola, Dale Bell, Michael Wadleigh, Eddie Kramer and the editors were able to make magic from miles of tape and film.
· The Crowd: Half a million people of all colors, shapes, sizes, ages and sexes attended this historical event. We’ll hear stories about the number of people and how they all coexisted for three days with only minor incidents.
· No Rain! No Rain!: Everyone talks about the rain at this event as if it were a character. It was. It set the tone, provided moments of danger, fun and disgust.
· 3 Days in a Truck: Eddie Kramer heard some of the most amazing performances as he recorded this historic event. But during those three days of peace, love and music, he didn’t get to see any performances because he was stuck in a truck.
· Woodstock Effect: The film, the event and the album catapulted many musicians into the limelight, changing their lives forever.
· Living up to Idealism
· World’s Longest Optical
· Critical Acclaim
· Courtesy of The Museum at Bethel Woods: The Hog Farm Commune
· Hugh Hefner and Michael Wadleigh: The Woodstock Connection
Old 03-19-09, 10:15 AM
Banned

Re: Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music – Ultimate Collectors Edition ---> 7/28/2009

$60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Commentary and not a whole lot of Special features= Fuck this shit....
Old 03-19-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The specs have obviously changed since the original announcement, the lack of commentary being the most glaring change.

I agree that two hours of additional music, plus an hour and change of featurettes, may not be worth $60 but is worth $41.99 (amazon's price), to me anyway. And factoring in that amazon will offer a few more performances on their bonus disc helps too.

Just my $0.02.
Old 03-19-09, 10:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ well now the amazon price is up to 48.99
Old 03-19-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
^ well now the amazon price is up to 48.99
I think that's for BD. SD was $41.99, unless they changed it in the last hour or so...I ordered the SD version.

Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 03-19-09 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-19-09, 10:47 AM

It's coming down in price.
Old 03-19-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm excited. Always heard that The Grateful Dead's performance was a disaster since it was raining and every time they got close to the microphones they would get shocked. It'll be interesting to see.
Old 03-19-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
An extended Gimme Shelter would be far more interesting. Love to see David Crosby weigh in on that one.
Agreed.
Old 03-19-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

This is good news. for $42 I will spring for the Limited boxset.
Old 03-19-09, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

reportedly The Who/ Abbie Hoffman incident footage will be deleted for this new release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.