Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1982 classic splatter nasty: 'Pieces' 2-Disc (10/28)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

1982 classic splatter nasty: 'Pieces' 2-Disc (10/28)

Old 10-28-08, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Fun part of buying this will be the look on the cashier's face when she sees the cover.
Ha ha. Good luck finding it anywhere.
Old 10-30-08, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

has anyone found this in a common B&M? i checked B&N, BB, Borders...
Old 10-30-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
has anyone found this in a common B&M? i checked B&N, BB, Borders...
No luck so far

Though in the past Borders has been good about carrying movies from Grindhouse Releasing.

Probably will check out some big local DVD stores over the weekend.
Old 10-30-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched this on vhs back in like 85-86. I think I might have masturbated to this.....
Old 10-31-08, 06:13 AM

nice movie
Old 10-31-08, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino View Post
I'm just seeing this news for the first time. I don't mess much with horror movies, but I fondly recall this one. When my best friend and I were in eighth grade, we somehow managed to get his mom to rent this for us one Friday night. Lots of stupid over-the-top violence and what we all came for: gratuitous nudity.
I was 16 or 17 when this came out. I & my retarded punk rock friends went to see it occupying almost the entire first row. When a kill scene was about to occur we were chanting, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" then start dancing around when the gore started. Christ, we were a*holes! I hereby apologize to any theater goers who were also there that night.
Old 11-02-08, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder what the distribution for the DVD is like.

I went to my local chain store here in Northern California. They have an extensive Asian Horror/Exploitation section as well as a large Horror and Cult films section.

Couldn't find the DVD

Probably going to just order it now.
Old 11-03-08, 08:56 AM

the alternate audio version is very interesting - I can see why they replaced the original music which is very piano heavy. There's an easter egg of

Spoiler:
of director Eli Roth explaining his pleasure of the film
Old 11-03-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I pre-ordered this from amazon & I still haven't got it yet!!!!
Old 12-29-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grindhouse is releasing Fulci's Cat in the Brain March 31st

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/features/...iecespromo.htm

Italian horror maestro's rare classic makes North American DVD premiere March 31

Grindhouse Releasing and Box Office Spectaculars are proud to present the North American DVD premiere of Italian horror maestro Lucio Fulci's ultra-violent classic CAT IN THE BRAIN.

The late, great Lucio Fulci is revered by horror movie fans around the world as the Italian “Godfather of Gore" for directing such films as ZOMBIE, THE BEYOND, and THE GATES OF HELL. CAT IN THE BRAIN is Fulci's ultimate statement about his own work, a masterpiece of cinematic dementia that echoes Hitchcock's PSYCHO, William Castle's STRAIT-JACKET, David Lynch's ERASERHEAD and Fellini's 8 1/2.

CAT IN THE BRAIN stars Fulci as himself in the twisted tale of a horror film director driven insane by his own creations. Tormented by visions of bizarre violence, murder and mayhem, Fulci seeks help from a sinister psychiatrist who draws him into a vortex of madness and death....like a cat, stalking the darkest corridors of the director's mind and clawing his sanity to bloody shreds.

Since its original release in 1990, CAT IN THE BRAIN has become a sought-after gem for Fulci fanatics, difficult to find and banned in the UK for its extreme graphic violence. The movie has won acclaim from modern masters of the macabre including Clive Barker and Eli Roth, director of HOSTEL and CABIN FEVER.

Grindhouse Releasing's deluxe edition of CAT IN THE BRAIN boasts a high-definition, widescreen anamorphic transfer of Fulci's uncensored director's cut, along with an amazing collection of bonus features.

Produced by Bob Murawski, the film editor of Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 1, 2 & 3 and ARMY OF DARKNESS, this long-awaited release continues the commitment to excellence that established Grindhouse as a leader in the horror DVD market with its definitive releases of THE BEYOND, I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, PIECES, and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.
The 2-disc CAT IN THE BRAIN collector's set includes:
- An eye-popping, psychedelic lenticular 3-D cover, limited to the first 2,500 units only!
- Never-before-seen, in-depth interviews with Lucio Fulci and star Brett Halsey (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, RETURN OF THE FLY, GODFATHER 3)
- English and original Italian-language soundtracks
- Lucio Fulci's heroic appearance at the 1996 FANGORIA Weekend of Horrors in New York City
- An extensive gallery of stills and poster art from around the world
- Liner notes by Antonella Fulci, acclaimed horror novelist David J. Schow, and director Eli Roth
- Original theatrical trailer
And more surprises!

CAT IN THE BRAIN arrives in stores March 31 through Ryko Filmworks. For more information, visit
Old 12-29-08, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Paul1957 View Post
Grindhouse is releasing Fulci's Cat in the Brain March 31st

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/features/...iecespromo.htm

Italian horror maestro's rare classic makes North American DVD premiere March 31

Grindhouse Releasing and Box Office Spectaculars are proud to present the North American DVD premiere of Italian horror maestro Lucio Fulci's ultra-violent classic CAT IN THE BRAIN.

The late, great Lucio Fulci is revered by horror movie fans around the world as the Italian “Godfather of Gore" for directing such films as ZOMBIE, THE BEYOND, and THE GATES OF HELL. CAT IN THE BRAIN is Fulci's ultimate statement about his own work, a masterpiece of cinematic dementia that echoes Hitchcock's PSYCHO, William Castle's STRAIT-JACKET, David Lynch's ERASERHEAD and Fellini's 8 1/2.

CAT IN THE BRAIN stars Fulci as himself in the twisted tale of a horror film director driven insane by his own creations. Tormented by visions of bizarre violence, murder and mayhem, Fulci seeks help from a sinister psychiatrist who draws him into a vortex of madness and death....like a cat, stalking the darkest corridors of the director's mind and clawing his sanity to bloody shreds.

Since its original release in 1990, CAT IN THE BRAIN has become a sought-after gem for Fulci fanatics, difficult to find and banned in the UK for its extreme graphic violence. The movie has won acclaim from modern masters of the macabre including Clive Barker and Eli Roth, director of HOSTEL and CABIN FEVER.

Grindhouse Releasing's deluxe edition of CAT IN THE BRAIN boasts a high-definition, widescreen anamorphic transfer of Fulci's uncensored director's cut, along with an amazing collection of bonus features.

Produced by Bob Murawski, the film editor of Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 1, 2 & 3 and ARMY OF DARKNESS, this long-awaited release continues the commitment to excellence that established Grindhouse as a leader in the horror DVD market with its definitive releases of THE BEYOND, I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, PIECES, and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.
The 2-disc CAT IN THE BRAIN collector's set includes:
- An eye-popping, psychedelic lenticular 3-D cover, limited to the first 2,500 units only!
- Never-before-seen, in-depth interviews with Lucio Fulci and star Brett Halsey (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, RETURN OF THE FLY, GODFATHER 3)
- English and original Italian-language soundtracks
- Lucio Fulci's heroic appearance at the 1996 FANGORIA Weekend of Horrors in New York City
- An extensive gallery of stills and poster art from around the world
- Liner notes by Antonella Fulci, acclaimed horror novelist David J. Schow, and director Eli Roth
- Original theatrical trailer
And more surprises!

CAT IN THE BRAIN arrives in stores March 31 through Ryko Filmworks. For more information, visit
what? this took... um... four years in the making.... [one word] finally!
Old 12-29-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome... gonna have to get that lenticular cover
Old 12-29-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hot damn! No more 100 dollar OOPs!
Old 01-04-09, 10:12 AM

just saw this...very fun! it was so poorly acted, god-awful effects and so schlocky that i actually enjoyed it quite a bit and will revisit it in time unlike some others in this vein that just don't do it for me. i guess since they played it serious it was better than the awfully acted trying to play it serious slashers of today.

but talk about your continuity errors from the 1942 prologue...push button phone, a Patriots banner, the house in general...just added to the charm i guess.

also, where is this Eli Roth easter egg? i would like to see that...
Old 01-04-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
also, where is this Eli Roth easter egg? i would like to see that...
It's on disc 1. It's fairly easy to find if you've hunted for easter eggs.

Spoiler:
When "Play Movie" is highlighted, press up. If you didn't fuck things up, you should see a chainsaw appear
Old 01-04-09, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It's on disc 1. It's fairly easy to find if you've hunted for easter eggs.

Spoiler:
When "Play Movie" is highlighted, press up. If you didn't fuck things up, you should see a chainsaw appear
thanks. i didn't even try when i saw it. i will now.
Old 01-04-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought my copy this past Friday and disc 2 was cracked, so now I have to drive way back out where I bought to exchange it!
Old 01-04-09, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
I bought my copy this past Friday and disc 2 was cracked, so now I have to drive way back out where I bought to exchange it!
Somewhat appropriate, given the film.