Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally! Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Finally! Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 11:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Finally! A Possible Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe

So I've been waiting on this release for years and now I may finally get my wish.

For those of you who don't know the history "54", it was supposed to be a gritty telling of the 70's and the infamous club Studio 54, in New York City. The studio made the director cut the film to portray Ryan Phillippe's character as much more sympathetic than the script called for. Instead of helping the film, the cuts actually caused it to be boring and lifeless.

Well, now the director screened a copy of his cut and I have include information about it below.

My only problem is that it's not his original cut, but from what I understand it really didn't go over well with audiences. Perhaps this version is more enticing. Either way, I hope this will finally make it to DVD.

----------
Lost in translation: A director's cut of 54 makes the disco drama one of the best queer films ever

Speaking of rare gems found only at Outfest, a "secret screening" was advertised with a not-so-blind item listing in the festival program: "Set in 1970, New York City. The most glamorous nightclub the world has ever known. The original tale of a bisexual bartender, a busboy and an ambitious coat check girl." The couple hundred people in attendance Friday night got exactly what they'd expected -- a director's cut of disco drama 54.

Except, it turns out, we had absolutely no idea just what we were missing the first time around. As shown for Outfest, 54 is just as writer-director Mark Christopher intended: Shane, an eager, naive young man (Ryan Phillippe, post-One Life to Live, pre-Cruel Intentions) from New Jersey, gets a job as a bartender at Studio 54. There he falls in love with both his best friend, Greg (Breckin Meyer), and Greg's wife, Anita (Salma Hayek), as the three of them struggle to survive the hedonistic, oppotunistic club scene that nearly eats them alive.

Rumors that the movie, released in 1998 to tepid reviews and middling box office returns, once included a gay kiss and a greater exploration of Phillippe's character's sexual awakening turned out to be true -- but come nowhere near capturing what was lost when a test audience's reaction supposedly prompted Miramax to force weeks of re-shoots, drastically altering the entire film. It's not an expanded edition; it's an entirely different movie.

In 45 minutes of new (original, that is) footage assembled by Christopher -- using largely uncorrected, rough audio and video that was expertly edited -- we see Shane sleep with dozens of men and women, for career advancement or simply pleasure. Phillippe is in nearly every scene, and his performance is strong, sympathetic and seductive. It's also frequently nude, or barely dressed, and the camera clings to what one character calls his "body by David and face by Botticelli." And far from being merely a "love triangle," the slow, simmering sexual attraction among Phillippe, Meyer and Hayek -- especially an amazingly intense, evocative kiss between the two men towards the end of the film -- is equally as important as the queer family they make for themselves.

Even Mike Myers -- whose role as 54 owner Steve Rubell was widely touted as his brave bid to be taken seriously as a dramatic actor -- benefits from the re-cut. The '98 version made him a caricature, a wise-cracking, ass-grabbing dirty old gay whose eyes were always bigger than his mouth. He's more creepy in this take, but also more empathetic, more tragically addicted to the beauty of youth no matter the cost.

Had 54 been released originally as screened at Outfest (even with some concessions made for an R rating), it would absolutely have been the New York counterpart to Boogie Nights. It also would have been canonized as one of the best queer films of the '90s, and a rare one that would have stood the test of time, thanks to its pitch-perfect period details.

Maybe the mistakes made by Weinstein-era Miramax can still be corrected -- Christopher hinted there may be some additional screenings of his cut. It's probably asking too much to hope Disney, which now owns the rights to Miramax's catalog, would seize the chance to play Prince Charming and rescue 54 for a full DVD re-issue. But I hear it never hurts to make a wish upon a star, so here goes.

Link: http://www.popnography.com/2008/07/lost-in-transla.html

Last edited by rich-y; 07-15-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, why not. Let's see it.
Old 07-15-08, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
how many years did this take? talk about a long wait... now let's see how long it takes for a directors cut of 'Summer of Sam' to materalize.
Old 07-15-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I was so disappointed in "54" but this version perks my interest.

Side Note: Does this really belong in the DVD Talk Forum? There's only a passing mention of hoping it comes to DVD. It really should be in the Movie Talk Forum.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't surprise me. I remember being shocked that not only the movie was rated PG-13, but that it was only 94 minutes long, especially given the content. I've never seen the movie, because I figured it was a lesser version of a better film, but a director's cut sounds very intriguing.

Now, let's get a director's cut of "The Avengers" movie!
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
No thank you. Not really interested in seeing Phillippe nude. If it was more Salma, than that will be a totally different story...
Old 07-15-08, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
This doesn't surprise me. I remember being shocked that not only the movie was rated PG-13, but that it was only 94 minutes long, especially given the content. I've never seen the movie, because I figured it was a lesser version of a better film, but a director's cut sounds very intriguing.

Now, let's get a director's cut of "The Avengers" movie!
I dont think this film ever had a Pg-13 cut.
The extended director's cut is only 6 minutes longer so I dont really know how much that can benefit the film.
Old 07-15-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
54 is Rated R.. I remember when it came out I was shocked Mike Myers was in an R-rated flick.
Old 07-15-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember somewhat liking the theatrical cut, but obviously not enough to add the movie to my collection. I might check this out if it ever sees the light of day. I may be in the minority, but I've always found Ryan Phillippe to be a solid actor when given the right material.

K
Old 07-15-08, 03:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I would love to check out a directors cut of 54. It was very flawed, but I enjoyed the original release overall.
Old 07-15-08, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The extended director's cut is only 6 minutes longer so I dont really know how much that can benefit the film.
I believe the article says the director added 45 minutes of unseen footage.
Old 07-15-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y
I believe the article says the director added 45 minutes of unseen footage.
the cut on the DVD is not the theatrical cut. It has extra footage.
Old 07-15-08, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
the cut on the DVD is not the theatrical cut. It has extra footage.
Oh, sorry... I thought Chris_sc77 was talking about the new version.

Old 07-15-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll give it a rent at least. I felt the 98 version could have been so much more.
Old 07-15-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by this one. Of course, the fact it was released three months after Walt Stillman's instant classic The Last Days of Disco (hello, Criterion?) certainly made it suffer greatly in comparison.
Old 07-15-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I dont think this film ever had a Pg-13 cut.
Oops, my bad. I guess I assumed that since it was so truncated, that they probably skimpled on the sex and profanity, as well.
Old 07-15-08, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by this one. Of course, the fact it was released three months after Walt Stillman's instant classic The Last Days of Disco (hello, Criterion?) certainly made it suffer greatly in comparison.
"54" was quite bad, I agree, but "LAST DAYS OF DISCO" was absolutely wretched and completetely unauthentic in trying to represent the 70's. Does anyone who actually grew up back in the 70's really like "Last Days" and feel it's the way it actually was? What a joke! I grew up then and I have to say both films absolutely suck in recreating anything real about that era.
Old 07-15-08, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
Does anyone who actually grew up back in the 70's really like "Last Days" and feel it's the way it actually was? What a joke! I grew up then and I have to say both films absolutely suck in recreating anything real about that era.
I thought Boogie Nights did a pretty good job of portraying the 1970's.

One of the few.

Old 07-16-08, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine
"54" was quite bad, I agree, but "LAST DAYS OF DISCO" was absolutely wretched and completetely unauthentic in trying to represent the 70's. Does anyone who actually grew up back in the 70's really like "Last Days" and feel it's the way it actually was? What a joke! I grew up then and I have to say both films absolutely suck in recreating anything real about that era.
But to be fair, apparently you live in Antarctica.
Old 07-16-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked 54 when I first saw it, but I'll admit I probably haven't watched it since the theater. I remember thinking it was good but that it could have been much better. I would buy a new cut of the film should one be released.
Old 07-16-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I remember hearing about the problems with the cut of the film before it was released and was very underwhelmed when I saw it in theaters. I would absolutely be willing to give it a rent if this alternate cut were able to find a release.
Old 08-14-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Walt Stillman's instant classic The Last Days of Disco (hello, Criterion?)
Perhaps this will happen:

Q: The funny thing is, as great as it is to see "Metropolitan," it's "The Last Days of Disco" that's become incredibly rare on DVD. Is that a film you ever think might be going through this type of service?

A: I don't know. I control "Metropolitan." I don't really control "Last Days of Disco" and what happens with it. I think Criterion is supposed to bring it out, but those negotiations seem to be taking forever -- not with me, it's with one of the studios.
Old 08-15-08, 11:49 AM

I enjoyed 54 when I saw it on its initial theatrical run, so I may pick up the director's cut if and when it appears. I wanted to like Last Days of Disco, but sadly it did nothing whatsoever for me.

BTW, isn't it Whit Stillman?

Dazza.
Old 08-15-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dazza
BTW, isn't it Whit Stillman?
It sure is. Guess I don't know a whit about Whit.
Old 02-05-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Finally! Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe

But it's being released...when?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.