DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/535255-dark-knight-12-09-08-a.html)

CertifiedTHX 07-14-08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
There was also a shift from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1 when they reached outer space the first time.

Guess I'm not familiar enough with it. From what I recall, the first time they reach outer space is when the Thermians take Jason to their ship, and Jason still thinks it's an elaborate game put together by fans. But that doesn't happen until maybe 10-15 minutes into the movie. I can't imagine they would keep the frame at 1.85:1 that long.

Is there an earlier scene in outer space I'm forgetting?

--THX

caligulathegod 07-14-08 08:03 PM

It's the point where he is being sent home the first time in that gooey transporter. The walls open up and he sees he's really in space. At that point the image opened up even further to 2.35:1 (if the theater presented it correctly). The DVD (and HBO-HD this month) didn't replicate this.

crazyrabbits 07-17-08 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by tucker
According to dvd.themanroom.com, "The Dark Knight" DVD is release for December 9, 2008.

Santa Brings The Dark Knight For X-Mas
By George 'El Guapo' Roush on April 17, 2008
A mystery informant located deep within the bowels of Hollywood has given us information on the release date of The Dark Knight DVD and it looks likes it's coming just in time for Christmas.

On December 9th, 2008 expect The Dark Knight to hit store shelves and be a huge seller this holiday season.

And if that isn't enough, Speed Racer will cross the finish line into stores on November 25th, 2008 just in time for Black Friday weekend!!
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/san...for-x-mas-4461

No Deleted Scenes In Dark Knight DVD
The Dark Knight is getting closer and closer to its release date (you can see my review here) and already we hear some news about the DVD for the film. The folks over at IFMagazine give us the following:

“We know there won’t be any deleted scenes because there never are,” says Roven, noting director Nolan puts everything of importance in the actual movie. “There weren’t any on BATMAN BEGINS and there weren’t any on this one.”

That’s too bad in a way. Aside from the directors commentary, deleted scenes are my favorite features of a DVD. Not just because I get to see extra stuff… but rather I get to see and understand the mind of a director a little bit more when and why they decide certain things need to go and how those little decisions can alter the entire feel of a film.

In this case specifically the film could have used a little editing. My one and only complaint about Dark Knight is that it’s too long for the movie that it is. But that’s just me.
http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/07/...ark-knight-dvd

That's total bulls#$@. I already know for a fact that, in the first film alone, they cut out shots of Scarecrow as seen by Rachel when she was affected by the fear toxin. I'm a member of the Superherohype.com site, and there's a discussion going on right now about all the deleted and alternate material for this film. Alternate lines and takes were used in the trailers, and there were also more small scenes cut for pacing reasons.

kefrank 07-17-08 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by crazyrabbits
That's total bulls#$@. I already know for a fact that, in the first film alone, they cut out shots of Scarecrow as seen by Rachel when she was affected by the fear toxin. I'm a member of the Superherohype.com site, and there's a discussion going on right now about all the deleted and alternate material for this film. Alternate lines and takes were used in the trailers, and there were also more small scenes cut for pacing reasons.

Obviously Nolan shot more than just what made it into the final cut. I think the point of the statement is that Nolan puts everything that he wants to be seen in the movie. He didn't cut anything out that he would have liked to somehow fit into the movie. Everything that hit the cutting room floor made it there because that's where it really belonged and I don't blame Nolan for deciding it should stay there.

tylergfoster 07-17-08 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Obviously Nolan shot more than just what made it into the final cut. I think the point of the statement is that Nolan puts everything that he wants to be seen in the movie. He didn't cut anything out that he would have liked to somehow fit into the movie. Everything that hit the cutting room floor made it there because that's where it really belonged and I don't blame Nolan for deciding it should stay there.

I think also the idea is that the stuff that was cut is not major -- alternate takes is not something I'm desperate to see on the DVD.

kefrank 07-17-08 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think also the idea is that the stuff that was cut is not major -- alternate takes is not something I'm desperate to see on the DVD.

exactly. the best take was obviously chosen for the movie. why would i want to watch the takes that weren't good enough?

Labor 07-18-08 04:37 AM

There is an interview with the producers of The Dark Knight (Charles Roven and Emma Thomas) where they say that Nolan had to cut like 10 minutes from his cut of the film. Maybe it was for ratings reasons. Who knows.

I doubt we will see it on DVD/Blu-Ray, but there is definitely some stuff that was cut.

mikelowry 07-18-08 06:37 PM

Any chance for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight boxed set?

jiffy97 07-18-08 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Any chance for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight boxed set?

Better question is, "Any chance there won't be one?"

asianxcore 07-18-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I know the film would have done very well even if Heath Ledger hadn't died, but I wonder how much hype would have been around the Joker had he not died?

I would say there still would be a fair amount. Mostly because Nicholson played the same role in Burton's Batman film and there would be constant comparisons to who played it better.

I'm excited that there is already a date for the film on DVD. Definitely looking forward to picking up the Blu-Ray

BullGooseLoony 07-18-08 11:41 PM

I've already decided: the day "The Dark Knight" comes out on DVD, I'm throwing away my cell phone, not going to work, and locking myself in a room to watch this movie over and over again until someone breaks the door down.

The Monkees 07-19-08 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I've already decided: the day "The Dark Knight" comes out on DVD, I'm throwing away my cell phone, not going to work, and locking myself in a room to watch this movie over and over again until someone breaks the door down.

It was a fantastic movie. I've seen in it twice within 24 hours!

Willh51 07-19-08 10:38 AM

Excellent movie! Can't wait to get the dvd to get rid of the babies and talkers. I may try to check it out in IMAX, though!

Cornelius1047 07-19-08 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
It was a fantastic movie. I've seen in it twice within 24 hours!

Me too! I'll definitely be seeing it in IMAX within the next couple weeks. I think this might actually end up being the movie I've seen the most times in theatres. Lord knows I can't leave that distinction to Scream 2 (5 times) anymore.

I always find myself revisiting Batman Begins on DVD, so I have no doubts this will get just as much attention come December and beyond. I kinda wish they'd include the deleted scenes and alternate takes, but I'll be pretty happy if they at least include both of the major theatrical trailers.

K

chris_sc77 07-19-08 08:54 PM

I just hope there is a commentary this time around.

NiCK Crush 07-19-08 11:49 PM

Really hope they have poster concepts for The Dark Knight like they did with Batman Begins.

TheMovieman 07-20-08 01:16 AM

I hope they have a section to place all the posters, trailers (TV and movie) and maybe a featurette on the viral marketing.

PopcornTreeCt 07-20-08 02:19 AM

I'm kinda surprised there won't be an unrated cut. There were a couple shots that seemed forced because Nolan had to pull away to avoid an R rating. Joker having his knife in the guy's mouth was one I remember.

majorjoe23 07-21-08 06:03 PM

I don't think DC/Warner would allow an unrated Batman movie.

kefrank 07-21-08 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I hope they have a section to place all the posters, trailers (TV and movie) and maybe a featurette on the viral marketing.

yeah, it would be cool if they included a DVD-ROM that contained an archive of all of the viral websites as well.

kefrank 07-21-08 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm kinda surprised there won't be an unrated cut. There were a couple shots that seemed forced because Nolan had to pull away to avoid an R rating. Joker having his knife in the guy's mouth was one I remember.

there's no way to know for sure if it was strictly a ratings thing or an artistic decision (likely it was a combo of both), but i thought the implied violence was even more psychologically effective than more explicit gore would have been.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-08 04:03 PM

if the dark knight has a chance to exceed Titanic in total box office sales would they delay the dvd release and try to milk as much money out of the box office and the theatrical run before releasing it on DVD?

BullGooseLoony 08-07-08 04:09 PM

there's no way to know for sure if it was strictly a ratings thing or an artistic decision (likely it was a combo of both), but i thought the implied violence was even more psychologically effective than more explicit gore would have been.

Exactly. That movie was as hard a PG-13 as you could get, and a testament to the fact that a movie can be very violent without sheding any blood.

BullGooseLoony 08-07-08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
if the dark knight has a chance to exceed Titanic in total box office sales would they delay the dvd release and try to milk as much money out of the box office and the theatrical run before releasing it on DVD?

A part of me wants to agree, but this movie will be THE Christmas gift for 2008, and Warners would probably be more interested in the $200 million or so this could pull in on DVD instead of another $10 million by keeping it in theaters.

critterdvd 08-07-08 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
A part of me wants to agree, but this movie will be THE Christmas gift for 2008, and Warners would probably be more interested in the $200 million or so this could pull in on DVD instead of another $10 million by keeping it in theaters.

I'm pretty sure that Warner Brothers will probably "re-release" the film back into theaters around christmas anyway. The film proved so successful (and honestly good) they'll probably be pushing for Oscars Nominations.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-08 05:24 PM

Anyone know what the store exclusives or freebies for this DVD will be?

it will be better to know now so you can preorder any exclusive gift sets or dvds that come with bonus dvds since they will probably sell out on the first day of release.

islandclaws 08-07-08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Anyone know what the store exclusives or freebies for this DVD will be?

it will be better to know now so you can preorder any exclusive gift sets or dvds that come with bonus dvds since they will probably sell out on the first day of release.

Not yet, but I think it's safe to say that xage will end up with 36 copies.

Solid Snake 08-07-08 07:49 PM

well all Film buffs like ourselves and the average Blu Ray consumer who may not know (these two can also be the same) will get, as we all know now, the IMAX version of TDK. That alone is damn fine gift with the Blu Ray disc. I'm assuming will get a Tribute to Heath Ledger thing, and around the same amount of material that was presented in the BB 2 disc DVD. Just you know...the TDK edition of the material, comics it was based on *The Killer Joke, The Man that Laughs, more Long Halloween, and of course the first issues with The Joker*, How they came up and made the Bat Pod, etc....

westerbergrules 08-08-08 08:37 PM

I like the movie, and have Batman Begins, but don't know if I'll get this one. I saw it last night (my first DLP movie!) and while underwhelmed is putting it a bit strongly, wasn't as blown away as I was with BB. Much better than the usual summer action crap, but far from a perfect movie. Started to drag before the end. Could have used some cuts here and there to speed up the pace. And was I the only one put off by the cop's flippant comment when the helicopter is "closelined"? I'm getting off the subject. I'm not a knee-jerk "everyone loves it so it can't be good" movie goer, either. It just wasn't/couldn't be as good as everyone had said.

tucker 08-20-08 02:08 AM

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/14/...tpod-gift-set/

/Film reader Tony F sent us some photos of what could be the inevitable gift sets and box art for The Dark Knight’s DVD / Blu-ray release. We’ve heard that Warner Bros wants to release the film on home video in December (we’ve heard December 8th), to take advantage of gift season.

These have NOT been confirmed by the studio, and very well could be fan creations.

But for now, lets just pretend they are real. The most impressive of the bunch is the 2-Disc BatPod Collector’s Edition, where the two discs are housed in the base of a BatPod display (which looks roughly 1:18 scale).

There is also a 2-Disc BatMask edition, seen below.
The movie will be available in three standard flavors (from left to right): A 2-disc special edition, A 2-disc special edition in a limited Steelbook case, and on Blu-Ray.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...batpoddvd1.jpg
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...vd-440x256.jpghttp://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...batmaskdvd.jpghttp://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...es/tdkdvds.jpg

benh911 08-20-08 02:27 AM

If those are in fact real, I'd probably go with the Steelbook. The batpod and mask don't do much for me. I'd be willing to bet they are fake, though.

hindolio 08-20-08 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by benh911 (Post 8885723)
If those are in fact real, I'd probably go with the Steelbook. The batpod and mask don't do much for me. I'd be willing to bet they are fake, though.

ill take that bet for one batpod please :D

islandclaws 08-20-08 10:53 AM

Assuming they are real, steelbook for me. Looks awesome.

reverie 08-20-08 11:18 AM

I usually love the exclusive box set stuff.. but (assuming they're real), these don't excite me at all. The steelbook, though, is very pretty. ;)

Zen Peckinpah 08-20-08 12:02 PM

I think that Blu-ray's a Steelbook! :eek:

canaryfarmer 08-20-08 12:09 PM

Aren't all Blu-ray cases curved at the corners, though? I mean, it could be, I guess, but there's no way to tell from that low-res pic.

MTRodaba2468 08-20-08 12:33 PM

Assuming it's real, I'm in for the steelbook.

ReduxGuy 08-20-08 01:21 PM

I think the DVD with the Batman mask is a fake.

I hope to God the steelbook one is real, though.

TRC 08-20-08 02:59 PM

I like the one with the mask best. Not so much for the mask itself but for the "Why So Serious" artwork on the DVD case.

My Other Self 08-20-08 03:37 PM

There's no way those are real. I don't have a way to point it out right now, but if you look closely at the steelbook and then the Blu-ray next to it you can see that all they did was take the the steelbook, cut off the bottom and tack on the Blu-ray header.

Ain't real. Even part of the steelbook packaging is sticking above the blue header.