Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 6 - The Last One!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's being reported here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...Volume-6/10016

This will be the last volume?

Was hoping for more.

I wonder what WB has up their sleeve. Something like individual character sets or chronological sets coming out later on? Which, of course means "double dip" time.

James

Last edited by JamesDFarrow; 07-09-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't know what to say. I'm glad that this set is coming out but being the last one is puzzling to me. Why the last one??? I don't think that WB has released all of the cartoons. Have they?

Is WB coming up with a different way to package the missing cartoons?
Old 07-09-08, 07:43 AM

I saw a list somewhere where there was over a 1000 looney tunes cartoons listed. I think someone estimated 17 volumes worth.

James
Old 07-09-08, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the thing things that has bothered me about WB Animation Division is that they have released all these volumes and shorts with no rhyme or reason to each other. Yes, there are over 1000 Looney Tunes shorts. Why don't they do like Disney and release them either chronologicaly or by character sets? That way it would be more organized to both seller and consumer.
Old 07-09-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
I saw a list somewhere where there was over a 1000 looney tunes cartoons listed. I think someone estimated 17 volumes worth.
James
If so, I would probably purchase most of these if not all. For Warner to stop releasing these sets is a real shame. There are so many great shorts in Warner's vaults yet to be released. I bet someone will start an online petition soon to get Warner to reconsider. Maybe the announcement that this is the last set is a trial balloon to gauge customer reaction.

Also, I saw the list of shorts to be expected on this set and will keep asking where is "Birdy and the Beast (1944)? The early Tweety Bird shorts are some of the funniest Looney Tunes cartoons ever made.
Old 07-09-08, 10:17 AM

Bittersweet news, to say the least. I wonder if they've used up all the worthwhile documentaries and bonus features that make up a portion of the previous Golden Collections. That shouldn't stop them from continuing to release cartoons, but I wonder what they're thinking.
Old 07-09-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Is it possible that a repackaging (IE a set containing every cartoon) is in the works? That would piss a lot of people (including me) off big time. WB baffles me sometimes. They know this (and a ton of their other animation properties) are cash cows, so why would you stop releasing them? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 07-09-08, 10:47 AM

I would prefer Chronological sets over individual character sets. No matter how much you like a character you can only take watching them so much at one time.

James
Old 07-09-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jerry Beck, who supervises these collections for Warner has posted this at GoldenAgeCartoons Forums:

Calm down everyone! It is NOT the last Looney Tunes DVD release from Warner Home Video. In fact, we have huge plans for 2009 (and beyond) Looney Tunes DVD releases. I'm not allowed to say any more at this time. I wish I could. Rest assured, a lot of good stuff is planned beyond this.

Oh, and there are 15 more cartoons and some great bonus material on Vol. 6. It's a great collection.
Old 07-09-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
One of the thing things that has bothered me about WB Animation Division is that they have released all these volumes and shorts with no rhyme or reason to each other. Yes, there are over 1000 Looney Tunes shorts. Why don't they do like Disney and release them either chronologicaly or by character sets? That way it would be more organized to both seller and consumer.
Because they sell more of each Vol. this way. If they did it by character, not all fans would buy each volume. Same if they did it chronologically (some people only like toons of certain era). By offering a hodgepodge of selections in every volume, they appeal to a broader base of fans.
Old 07-09-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Will definately suck if this is the last one. I've got in the neighborhood of 300 shorts on tape not yet released on DVD. Mostly major characters. At least I'll be getting my all-time favorite, which I don't have on tape, "Dog Gone South".
Old 07-09-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I wish WB would get on the ball and start releasing some of the older Hanna Barbera classics unless they figure there is no market at this time.
Old 07-09-08, 11:05 AM

I just added this update to my story this morning at TVshowsOnDVD:
UPDATE: Don't be upset, after all. We've learned that Warner is planning to continue Looney Toons releases on home video, but is not ready to share their plans at this time. You'll still see Bugs and his pals on DVD in 2009, just not under the "Golden Collection" labels. So, no worries!
Old 07-09-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the 15 bonus shorts are the extremely un-PC cartoons, WB has pretty much released all the best shorts. Once you take away all the post-1964 cartoons (except for the handful of good ones like Bunny & Claude), most Buddy shorts, and all the other lesser shorts (Good Night Elmer), it's not so bad. I'm all for 2-disc bare-bones sets with 20-30 cartoons if it'll complete the whole run. Or even single-disc collections with themes... like pre-color Merrie Melodies, Daffy/Speedy shorts, etc.

Edit: Yeah, BluRay re-issues would be awesome.
Old 07-09-08, 11:28 AM
Cool New Member

Maybe they are moving over to BD or something like that?I'll still be buying Vol. 6 reguardless.
Old 07-09-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
While sales for the Golden Collection started strong, each subsequent volume sold considerably less than the one before. At this rate, it would be a money-losing venture for WB to release more volumes (especially considering that they're running out of "prime" material with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc). They still want to remaster the rest and get them out somehow (which is costly), but in a way where they won't lose money on them.
Old 07-09-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
While sales for the Golden Collection started strong, each subsequent volume sold considerably less than the one before.
Do you have a link to back that up, as I find it hard to believe.
Old 07-09-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I say, I say, here's hoping the bonus shorts include some much neglected Foghorn Leghorn.
Old 07-09-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*SIGH* More lousy artwork. Thankfully I have them all spined on my shelf so I don't have to look at the post-V4 covers.

What's with Sylvester in that picture? He looks ricockulous.
Old 07-09-08, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
Really? Seems to me that sales attrition would be almost inevitable for sets like this. A ton of people buy the first one, but sales decline with each volume, as not everyone needs or wants 12, 16, 20 discs of WB cartoons. Maybe they haven't even watched what they've got. This is why you see a bunch of classic TV series that will probably never be completed on DVD (Mary Tyler Moore, etc.) With the Looney Tunes sets, most of the favorites have already been released, so no one but the die-hard fans are still purchasing the sets. So WHV is looking to shake things up.
Old 07-09-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now they've done away with the Bugs-theme entirely from Disc 1?! What, he wasn't paying the rent or sumtin? That sucks! Bugs Bunny cartoons were the most consistently entertaining (for me).

The high-point is Chow Hound and My Favorite Duck (even though this one is featured on one of the other sets, hiding in the bonuses.

To all those who were hoping for A Wild Hare - oh well.
Old 07-09-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still waiting for the one where Elmer owns a Penthouse, and he wants Bugsy out. So Bugs sets up an obstacle course in the patio, and whoever loses has to leave. Of course, Bugsy sets it up so that Elmer has to jump so high, he goes over the wall! The name of this short evades me, but I would consider it a quality-short. I'm sure there are more to get 15 onto one disc without pushin' or shovin.'

*Edit: the short was Upswept Hare
I believe there's a scene where Bugs hogs the shower room, and he's stumped on a note, so he comes out and tries to get it right on the piano in the living room with Elmer standing there, gets the note he wants, and returns to the shower room.

OOoh, I want to see this!!

Last edited by Buttmunker; 07-09-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckydj
Maybe they are moving over to BD or something like that?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! Please don't tease! That would certainly take up less space. Gimme, gimme, gimme!
Old 07-09-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
You can use the link in my sig to my DVDAf collection. We picked up the first two sets, but haven't gotten around to buying 3-5, and my wife and I are both big animation fans. It's honestly a little easier to spend $15 four times, than $60 once, so if they're changing to smaller sets, that will be a welcome change.
Old 07-09-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well for starters, nobody pays $60 for the GCs. They are always discounted. Even at Warner's own online store. I wouldn't mind if GCs came out twice a year, but they can't restore them that fast. I have all five and can't wait for this one, it sounds amazing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.