Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any wierd DVD/movie watching experiences?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-04-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I was in a DVD store sorting through hundreds of used DVDs. I had about 8 DVDs in my hand that I considered buying. By the time I was done sorting, I put 6 DVDs back and I only decided to buy two used dvds - Malena and The Legend of 1900. Only after watching these two back-to-back later that day, I did not realize that these two movies were directed by the same director, even with the same music - Ennio Morricone. Has anything wierd like that happen to anyone in which the DVDs you end up buying or watching are somehow connected like that without realizing it beforehand? Or any other wierd DVD/movie watching experiences?
Old 07-04-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does "wierd" mean?
Old 07-04-08, 12:45 PM
Suspended

i watched jaws and e.t. on the same day once

does that count?
Old 07-04-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I watched 187 and Hard Eight back to back a few weeks ago. I knew Samuel L Jackson was in 187 but didn't realize he was in the other flick too.
Old 07-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
A couple of days ago, I saw this really weird DVD that was transfered from an old VHS tape. Now I'm seeing ladders that no one else can see and a weird ring-shaped object.....
Old 07-04-08, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

This is as "Weird" as it gets for me:
Old 07-04-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Interesting topic. I can think of 2 instances.

A couple of years ago I placed 2 online orders. 1 at the Disney Movie Club and the other thru Columbia House. I was opening a new CH account. The orders arrived within days of each other. While storing the discs in my DVD binders, in my normal randomness order, I had the 2 Disc "Bambi" Platinum Edition sleeved on the reverse page of the 2 Disc Legacy Series of "The Deer Hunter". . . . hmmmm.

Another time I had a phoned in offered from CH that I accepted. Chose 4 DVDs. I chose "Airplane" (Don't Call Me Shirley Edition) and the John Wayne film, "High and the Mighty (2 Disc). Realized later they both starred Robert Stack in a role as a pilot and had to do with airplane emergencies although different eras and genres -- drama to comedic.
Old 07-04-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched Aeon Flux, Bloodrayne and Ultraviolet in the same night...

...and survived...

...WIERD!
Old 07-04-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched a bootleg copy of Rolling Thunder and then that same night watched Coffy.

The weird coincidence? Linda Haynes is in both of them.

Who is she? - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371495/

It's just weird that a no name actress was in two films I watched.
Old 07-04-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very interesting thread. I have one off the top of my head, but I know I have many more.

The one off the top of my head - I just finished Season 9 of the X-Files. As some may know, in Seasons 8 and 9, Adam Baldwin played Knowle Rohrer in 5 episodes in those two seasons. In the past two days I have started to watch Firefly, for whom Adam Baldwin plays one of the main characters, Jayne, and I watched Independence Day today (go figure) and Adam Baldwin was one of the secondary characters in that movie! I haven't seen ID4 since the theater, so I didn't remember that he was in it.

Adam Baldwin is definitely not an "A-list" celebrity, so it was definitely surprising to see him 3 times in a few days.
Old 07-04-08, 09:50 PM

My weird movie experience happened in a movie theater back in 1986.
I was visiting my grandmother in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. One night I decided to check out a movie at the local cinema palace, The Glen . In the middle of the movie, the characters go to the movies and it's The Glen, the same theater I am watching the movie in.

Talk about a freaky feeling, I had a real strong Purple Rose of Cairo/Twilight Zone weirding out going on there for a moment.

But yes, the movie was Lucas it was filmed in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. I guess the reason it was still playing there months after general release was The Glen was proud of their part in the film and held it over for a long time.
Old 07-05-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only occasion of going to a movie theater twice in one day, I saw A Fish Called Wanda and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. And they both had people being run over by steamrollers.

And there was the time I watched Shaun of the Dead after three double espressos. Oh, wait. That was my "wired" movie experience.

Last edited by RKillgore; 07-05-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-05-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
I once got Street With No Name and House Of Bamboo in the mail from Netflix. Watched Street With No Name and then started watching House of Bamboo. After a bit of Bamboo I noticed, "Hey, I just watched this! It's the same movie!" Did not know one was a remake of the other.
Old 07-05-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another movie experience --- a few years ago The Conformist was making the rounds of the arthouse theaters (I think some footage had been restored, prompting the revival) and I was anxious to see it. Once it started, I realized that I had seen it already, probably 15 years before, and completely forgot it until that moment. It was still worth watching again, though.
Old 07-05-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I watched 187 and Hard Eight back to back a few weeks ago. I knew Samuel L Jackson was in 187 but didn't realize he was in the other flick too.
Doesn't count! Sam is in so many movies this is an everyday occurance.
Old 07-05-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
The only "weird" experiences I have had is when I decide to buy an older catalog title on DVD, almost always without fail - the movie I get will pop up on TV the very same week.
Old 07-05-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Doesn't count! Sam is in so many movies this is an everyday occurance.
You've definitely got a point there
Old 07-05-08, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only "weird" experiences I have had is when I decide to buy an older catalog title on DVD, almost always without fail - the movie I get will pop up on TV the very same week.
This happens to me all the time. Both with movies I rent from Netflix and the ones I buy.
Old 07-05-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back when it was first released, I rented the remake of Lord of the Flies and discovered that one of my current classmates from junior high was in it.
Old 07-05-08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
But then again Samuel L Jackson is in every 1 out of 10 movies made these days
Old 07-05-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Samuel L. Jackson has appeared in more films over the past four years than Warren Beatty has in his entire career.
Old 07-06-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numes
... and I watched Independence Day today (go figure) and Adam Baldwin was one of the secondary characters in that movie! I haven't seen ID4 since the theater, so I didn't remember that he was in it.

I had the same experience with that 2 days ago. Weird
Old 07-07-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in St Louis, there is a small religious station (Channel 24). It's like watching a "mom and pop" organization. Production values are not extravagent by any stretch of the imagination and you are likely to see a bluegrass group or a two person gospel act performing live. They have a small selection of non-religious programming such as Lone Ranger re-runs. Every night they have a movie that comes from a pd source and has the look of a cheap pd video. So I'm channel surfing one night and come across Channel 24's movie night and what are they showing: Ingmar Bergman's THE SEVENTH SEAL, in swedish with english subtitles. I wonder what the station's faithful watchers thought of the film...
Old 07-07-08, 10:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was reading a thread on this site and the movie The Game was mentioned and I thought to myself, hey I haven't seen this all the way through.

Sure enough, the next morning it was on TV.
Old 07-08-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind was on the previous Oscar challenge we had here. Out of complete random, I felt like watching Saving Pvt. Ryan back to back with Malcolm X.

The first movie ended with a shot of the American flag. The 2nd movie began with a shot of the American flag burning.