Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Charmed Complete Series - October 21, 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charmed Complete Series - October 21, 2008

Charmed - Complete Series

Looks like we finally get some extras. The packaging looks real nice; however, what is up with paying $30 more at Amazon for the limited edition. Per the link above, the only difference in the two editions is that the package size is bigger on the limited version. For $30 more, it has to include something else that has not been mentioned yet.

Regardless, I will be picking this up for the holidays for my wife. This is her favorite all time show. Although, I must admit that I loved the show as well.

Hottest TV Show Cast Ever
Old 06-26-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I'm torn on this. I have all 8 seasons, and love complete sets, but that book is so damn big and bigger. The same reason Ive passed on collections like MASH. Though the book is nice and creative, I spent $100 per B&N sale for my set, and trying to decide if the upgrade is needed.

And +1 on hottest cast
Old 06-26-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one series that I never got around to picking up and have enjoyed the many episodes that I've sampled over the years. I love complete series sets (especially those where I don't own any of the single season sets! ), so I'll pick this one up.
Old 06-26-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Hmmm...Amazon's $174 sounds pretty good. I've never seen a single episode, how does this show compare to Buffy? Is it serialized or monster of the week?
Old 06-26-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Hmmm...Amazon's $174 sounds pretty good. I've never seen a single episode, how does this show compare to Buffy? Is it serialized or monster of the week?

Its pretty silly compared to Buffy, but it works for the show. Its mostly monster of the week, but as the series progresses it gets more mythology.

Looking at the sets, is the small set using paper/cardboard sleeves, and the bigger using hubs? Scratched disc are bad.

Last edited by stingermck; 06-26-08 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course. I finally bit on buying Charmed last week thanks to the BB and DD sales.
Old 06-26-08, 05:59 PM

I'm so glad I had patience and only bought the first season initially. I realised it would probably get a full series release and so stopped after S1.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Looking at the sets, is the small set using paper/cardboard sleeves, and the bigger using hubs? Scratched disc are bad.
That's what I was thinking. I'd rather spend the extra money to not have scratched discs.

Although it seems pretty weird for them to do two types of packaging, there must be something else different between the collections besides that. Guess we'll have to wait for more details.
Old 07-11-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The release date has been changed to November 18th.

Also has the bigger edition price gone up?

$174 for regular book
$236 for the bigger book
Old 11-21-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here we go: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...lacement/10912

Mine has shipped from DD, so I wonder how my disc will play
Old 11-21-08, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am glad I didn't get this after all. It took me forever to finally shell out the money for the complete Angel and Buffy boxes because of fears of scratched discs. Luckily they played fine.
Old 11-21-08, 05:41 PM

It's just ridiculous. Here I was all impressed with how amazing the set looked... I had checked out everything except the discs. I got the limited deluxe set - 75% of my discs were scratched to hell.
Old 11-21-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
It's just ridiculous. Here I was all impressed with how amazing the set looked... I had checked out everything except the discs. I got the limited deluxe set - 75% of my discs were scratched to hell.
Shit, and we assumed the LE would be better cause there were hubs. Cant wait to get my non LE
Old 11-21-08, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF

They set up a number to call to get new ones.

hmm. guess I can't post urls until I have 15 posts, just going to have to www it yourselves
tvshowsondvd.com/news/Charmed-Charmed-Disc-Replacement/10912
Old 11-26-08, 03:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Best Buy has an exclusive bonus disc with this.
Old 11-26-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My local costco has the set for $149.xx, not a bad price.
Old 11-27-08, 10:49 PM

Does anyone know what is on the Best Buy bonus disc?
Old 12-11-08, 08:32 PM

My Review Of Charmed Deluxe DVD Set **LIMITED**

Both the 'standard' "Book Of Shadows" DVD release and this...the 'Collectible Edition' would satisfy your cravings for all things magical. However, if you are a true Charmie, then this is the only release that you should consider. Here's why.

Whlie we all know that good things come in small packages, if you are a Charmed fanatic then size matters! This is the only edition that is the exact size of the TV prop book. The regular edition is roughly the size of a photo album. The art reproductions of spell pages that are reproduced for this edition are near exact copies. This meant that there was no need to reformat the columns etc to fit. The regular edition was changed and/or shrunk significantly to fit the unusual page configuration.

The color of both editions is a true forest green and very close to the original. I was asked recently if the cover was an exact reproduction of the original and while the picture released for the presale mockup was definately different, the final version is much closer. They have added the cover corner pieces and also appropriate taping along the spine to match the original. Now for Charmies, the 'Triquetra' on the cover is a very important feature. Spelling Productions still owns the rights to the original art and although this was created using new art, it is the best I have seen, and I have seen many. It appears as it should aged appropriately as a book circa 1620. The edging of this edition is a beautiful guilded antique gold. The guilding is different from the ragged edge of the original but it would have been obviously costly to use true vellum sheets, so this is an excellent concession. One more point on the guilding...it stays put! I can't tell you how many costly leather bound volumes I have that leave sparkly residue on my fingers! There is none of that here as it was done very well and by a manufacturer with guilding experience. The standard release does have a 'ripped edge' but in my opinion since it doesn't look authentic, this is still a much better choice.

Now for the most important feature or difference between the two editions. Remember, all fancy packaging aside, you want protection for your discs! This edition features eight pieces of sturdy foam-core material in which your DVD discs are inset. There is an octagon shaped foam piece in the center of each slot which holds the disc firmly in place and does not permit uneccessary spinning. Each season in it's entirety is on a single page. The standard edition makes use of simple, thin cardboard slits cut two to a page. While the jury is still out on the long term effects of this type of protection, I believe it will scratch your discs over time, especially with repeated viewings. Another reason to only consider the Deluxe Collectors Edition.

Both releases feature excellent individual show descriptions for each episode and nice photos interspersed throughout. If you know of the earlier Australian release last year, the descriptions and photos are exactly the same. And while on the subject of that earlier release, they did away with the hokey (IMHO) LED lights on the Triquetra and this edition is near perfect. It is also debosssed or raised much more than the standard release. The edition is not numbered as was the case with the Australian release. I had been asked that question and I can now tell you while not numbered, it is limited and sold out already at most locations. My guess that it was produced in numbers significantly less than the 13000 pressed for the DVD region 4 release. Don't wait or you will be found wanting as the holidays rapidly approach.

It is currently still showing availability at Keenzo.com, Walmart.com as well as Barnes and Noble. I ordered my sets through Keenzo.

FYI, I purchased two sets (One for a gift) and none of mine had the scratches that others reported. I'm really happy with my choice. Goodluck!

Enjoy your repeated Charmed marathons everyone!

Last edited by Seattleinfo; 12-11-08 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added note to respomd to those with scratched discs.
Old 01-01-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I'll have to keep that link handy.

I picked up the regular set for my girlfriend for X-mas and she told me she already had a disc that wouldn't play in Season 1.

She managed to fix it but she's got a lot of discs to go.
Old 09-15-11, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Re: Charmed Complete Series - October 21, 2008

Anybody know if they ever fixed them and reshipped them? Or the ones you can buy will still have problems? Been wanting to get this for my wife, but holding off because of the problems. I would think enough time has passed, but also have a feeling they never bothered to ship good sets.