Old 10-06-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Hmmm. Tempting....
Old 10-06-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASAPadam
You can pick up the Sopranos complete series set for $209.97 (with free shipping) from the Warner Home Video store with the 30%-off code, ANWBTS. (Remember, you have to buy two items for the discount to work.)

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=49948

That's almost half off the retail price. (If DD's price holds, the set would be about $224 during the November sale.)
So that would average $35 per season, assuming you're counting the final season as one. I'll definitely be considering this.
Old 10-06-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well lets see, there are 7 DVD sets released / $210 = $30 per set. Not bad.
Old 10-06-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
You can pick up the Sopranos complete series set for $209.97 (with free shipping) from the Warner Home Video store with the 30%-off code, ANWBTS. (Remember, you have to buy two items for the discount to work.)

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=49948

That's almost half off the retail price. (If DD's price holds, the set would be about $224 during the November sale.)

I wish we knew if a Blu-ray set was coming, though...
If you want the cheapest thing, get The 11th Hour. It's 5 bucks. (It's also an ok doc on the environment).
Old 10-06-08, 08:02 PM

Just curious if it has been officially confirmed that this set will include the commentary tracks from the previous releases?
Old 10-06-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Of course not. As I plainly stated, this remastered set will be a welcome addition to my Netflix queue, and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole series again. But I'm not shelling out the big bucks until it's released in its full HD glory.

It would be imprudent of me to make such a large expenditure given the likelihood that a substantial upgrade is not long around the corner. Since Warner has already released an entire SOPRANOS season in HD, I don't find an imminent HD release of the entire series to be unlikely at all.

Till then, I can enjoy watching the remastered SD for the price of my Netflix subscription.
I understand your position fully (and if I had upgraded to Blu-Ray already, I'd probably hold off on buying as well), but I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix didn't bother carrying the remastered discs from the complete series set. They don't always carry the most recent editions of titles (I know that they tend to carry the older versions of Universal titles other than the newer Legacy Editions).

Originally Posted by beetyke
Just curious if it has been officially confirmed that this set will include the commentary tracks from the previous releases?
It wouldn't surprise me if they did. With that said, I wouldn't unload my sets just yet until it's confirmed.
Old 10-06-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Is this a limited edition set? There are quite a few complete series sets coming out this year and I could've sworn at least one of them was limited.
Old 10-07-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered that set using the code...thanks, ASAPadam!

Originally Posted by beetyke
Not that it would be a great loss if they were gone; the majority of the commentaries on the sets alternated between dull and uninformative.
Old 11-03-08, 06:49 PM

Any word on this release yet? Any review copies?

I'm just particularly curious about whether earlier seasons were really remastered.
Old 11-04-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
I want to buy this, but I might have to wait until next year sometime due to the high cost.
Old 11-04-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
FWIW, Costco tends to have the lowest prices on HBO box-sets.

I'd first check there.
Old 11-06-08, 12:06 PM

Has anyone seen this yet?
Old 11-06-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was pleasantly surprised tonight to come home and find this set on my doorstep...holy crap, it is big, and it is heavy.

I'll post up some pics and impressions of the set later tonight.
Old 11-06-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick impressions (keep in mind I've been jumping around all over the set; haven't got a chance to really sit down and take in the entire thing):

THE PACKAGING

Very elegant, and expensive-looking (better be, for the price I paid). The outer box is made of very sturdy material, and the book is encased in a cloth-like black bag. The book containing the discs feels and looks like a heavy hardback (every run your fingers over a hardback book? That's exactly what it feels like). There are thin strips of removable styrofoam to ensure the book is packed tightly, hopefully reducing the chances of scratched up discs. The "pages" are thick cardboard with a glossy sheen to them, while the discs are housed inside the pages, 2 per side, using slits--a method I know a lot on here don't like (but doesn't bother me). There are no written intros or essays; just an episode guide, photos, credits for the soundtrack CDs, and guides for what's on the respective discs. Just the basics, but again, all elegantly laid out.

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, and in a nod to the original boxes, has a strap at the bottom of the box that allows you to easily pull the book out.

VIDEO
I'm really not the guy to ask, since I am not an a/v guru, and it's been awhile since I watched the first season, which had the most problems, so I can't do a suitable comparison. However, I took some screenshots with PowerDVD from the pilot and included them here:

Spoiler:

All the menus have a uniform look, and have been redesigned from the original sets.

BONUS DISCS (split into two DVDs):

Supper with the Sopranos (74 mins.) - split into two parts, this features David Chase along with several writers, directors and cast members (no Gandolfini though) reminiscing about the show, their favorite moments, behind the scenes stories, etc., with lots of laughter, wine and food.

Lost Scenes (approximately 30 mins.) - probably the most anticipated feature (well, at least for me), the 14 scenes, which range from 30 seconds to over 4 minutes, might disappoint some. There is no extra violence, no rumored alternate endings for the Vito storyline or the final episode, and no extra Bada Bing! But there are a lot of neat little character moments to be found; no earth-shattering revelations, but they're still worth a watch. Most seasons only have one deleted scene, but season 6 combined has seven total.

A note, btw: the deleted scenes come from a workprint, and can be very dark-looking at times.

Alec Baldwin Interviews David Chase (40 mins.) - split into two parts; the title pretty much explains it all. A bit clip-heavy, but from what I've heard, Baldwin does ask Chase some interesting questions, and Chase reveals some interesting things, including some of the more memorable/controversies storylines on the show, casting the actors, etc.

"Whacked" Sopranos (68 mins.) - shot on rough-looking video at the Paley Center in 2007, this gathers (as the title suggests) several of the actors who have met unfortunate ends on the show along with Chase. Haven't watched it yet, unfortunately.

Extra Gravy (6 mins.) - a trio of short clips rounding up show parodies from "The Simpsons," "Mad TV," and "Saturday Night Live." Serves as a great reminder of just how unfunny (SNL) and unoriginal (Simpsons) these shows have become; it's a bad sign when "Mad TV" is the funniest offering here.

It should also be noted that all of the longer extras have chapter stops.

All of the supplements from the older sets (including the commentaries) are on here as well.

So all in all, definitely worth the money, if you don't own any of the previous sets (I stopped after S4, mainly due to being cash-strapped and not getting around to finishing my collection when I had the money again). For those who do and are on the fence, the big selling point are the extras, which are lengthy and informative, but I have no idea if you think that is worth over $200.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 11-07-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-07-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the thorough review and all the pictures.

Now to decide if I should buy this in our current economy...
Old 11-07-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture

Quick impressions (keep in mind I've been jumping around all over the set; haven't got a chance to really sit down and take in the entire thing):

THE PACKAGING

Very elegant, and expensive-looking (better be, for the price I paid). The outer box is made of very sturdy material, and the book is encased in a cloth-like black bag. The book containing the discs feels and looks like a heavy hardback (every run your fingers over a hardback book? That's exactly what it feels like). There are thin strips of removable styrofoam to ensure the book is packed tightly, hopefully reducing the chances of scratched up discs. The "pages" are thick cardboard with a glossy sheen to them, while the discs are housed inside the pages, 2 per side, using slits--a method I know a lot on here don't like (but doesn't bother me). There are no written intros or essays; just an episode guide, photos, credits for the soundtrack CDs, and guides for what's on the respective discs. Just the basics, but again, all elegantly laid out.

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, and in a nod to the original boxes, has a strap at the bottom of the box that allows you to easily pull the book out.

VIDEO
I'm really not the guy to ask, since I am not an a/v guru, and it's been awhile since I watched the first season, which had the most problems, so I can't do a suitable comparison. However, I took some screenshots with PowerDVD from the pilot and included them here:

Spoiler:

All the menus have a uniform look, and have been redesigned from the original sets.

BONUS DISCS (split into two DVDs):

Supper with the Sopranos (74 mins.) - split into two parts, this features David Chase along with several writers, directors and cast members (no Gandolfini though) reminiscing about the show, their favorite moments, behind the scenes stories, etc., with lots of laughter, wine and food.

Lost Scenes (approximately 30 mins.) - probably the most anticipated feature (well, at least for me), the 14 scenes, which range from 30 seconds to over 4 minutes, might disappoint some. There is no extra violence, no rumored alternate endings for the Vito storyline or the final episode, and no extra Bada Bing! But there are a lot of neat little character moments to be found; no earth-shattering revelations, but they're still worth a watch. Most seasons only have one deleted scene, but season 6 combined has seven total.

A note, btw: the deleted scenes come from a workprint, and can be very dark-looking at times.

Alec Baldwin Interviews David Chase (40 mins.) - split into two parts; the title pretty much explains it all. A bit clip-heavy, but from what I've heard, Baldwin does ask Chase some interesting questions, and Chase reveals some interesting things, including some of the more memorable/controversies storylines on the show, casting the actors, etc.

"Whacked" Sopranos (68 mins.) - shot on rough-looking video at the Paley Center in 2007, this gathers (as the title suggests) several of the actors who have met unfortunate ends on the show along with Chase. Haven't watched it yet, unfortunately.

Extra Gravy (6 mins.) - a trio of short clips rounding up show parodies from "The Simpsons," "Mad TV," and "Saturday Night Live." Serves as a great reminder of just how unfunny (SNL) and unoriginal (Simpsons) these shows have become; it's a bad sign when "Mad TV" is the funniest offering here.

It should also be noted that all of the longer extras have chapter stops.

All of the supplements from the older sets (including the commentaries) are on here as well.

So all in all, definitely worth the money, if you don't own any of the previous sets (I stopped after S4, mainly due to being cash-strapped and not getting around to finishing my collection when I had the money again). For those who do and are on the fence, the big selling point are the extras, which are lengthy and informative, but I have no idea if you think that is worth over $200.
I already own all the seasons and dont think the packaging/extras (which I can netflix) alone would be worth the double dip unless there was a big difference in a/v quality from the original sets. Do you own any of the standalone seasons to compare?
Old 11-07-08, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Great looking set! Thanks for the pictures.

I will be picking this up.

Judging by the screen captures, it looks like its remastered.
Old 11-07-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I already own all the seasons and dont think the packaging/extras (which I can netflix) alone would be worth the double dip unless there was a big difference in a/v quality from the original sets. Do you own any of the standalone seasons to compare?
I do own some of the previous sets, but unfortunately I am leaving for work in about 20 minutes, and while I can get screen captures during downtime, I'm not sure if I can get them uploaded before I get home, since my work tends to deny access to photo-hosting sites.

Nevertheless, I'll take some of the old and new discs with me today and see what I can do.
Old 11-07-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, here we go with comparisons. One thing I noticed today is that on the old set, the first disc of each season held the first four episodes, whereas on the new set, the first disc holds only the first three episodes.

From the episodes I sampled, S1 has definitely improved, image-wise, where the other seasons show some very minor improvements. As always though, the best way is judge yourself:

S1: "PILOT"
Spoiler:

Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

S2: "TOODLE-FU**ING-OO"
Spoiler:

Old

New

S4: "WHITECAPS"
Spoiler:

Old

New

Old 11-07-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks more like improvements due to less compression than any sort of remastering.
Old 11-07-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So are those some sort of plastic hubs under the disc, or just the cardboard? Thats a lot of money to shell out for paper/cardboard scratching the disc. Also what are the measurements of the box/book? Thanks!
Old 11-07-08, 03:02 PM
Banned

eh, I'll keep the old sets.
Old 11-07-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
thanks alot....
i'm keeping my old sets also. didnt really expect any real improvemtn being that the originals are not very old.
Old 11-08-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
Is this a limited edition set?
Old 11-08-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Noticed DD had pre-order listed at $278, while DVDPlanet has it at $312......

I will order this on Tuesday from DD at $208 if the pre-order price holds......if they pull any shenanigans with the price, I won't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.