Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Eli Stone: Season 1 (9/02/08)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eli Stone: Season 1 (9/02/08)

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has announced the DVD release of Eli Stone - The Complete 1st Season. All 13 episodes are included of ABC's new series about a California lawyer who suddenly has visions - are they fantasy (due to his inoperable brain aneurysm), or prophecy? - and wants to use them to do good. What sounds like it could be a somewhat morbid premise, actually translates into a bright, humorous and quirky show that comes to DVD on September 2nd. And it's packaged with bonus material:

Extended Pilot Episode with Audio Commentary
Acting on Faith: Eli & George Michael
Turning a Prophet: The Creation of Eli Stone
Creating Visions: The Effects of Eli Stone
Inside the Firm: The Natasha Henstridge Tour
Deleted Scenes, Bloopers

Jonny Lee Miller (Hackers, Ĉon Flux film) stars as the title character, and you'll also see Natasha Henstridge (Species films, The Whole Nine Yards), Victor Garber (Alias, Titanic) and Loretta Devine (Grey's Anatomy, Boston Public) on the regular cast. As you see in the extras above, singer George Michael - a favorite of the producers - plays a big role in the course of the show, and appears in several episodes.

Other guest stars include Pamela Reed, Katey Sagal, Johnny Pacar, Thomas Cavanagh, James Remar, Mary-Pat Green, Ethan Phillips and Richard Schiff. Cost is $39.99 SRP for a 4-disc set, but you can already pre-order it from Amazon for $27.99. Cost in Canada is CA$44.99 SRP.
Source: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Eli...-Season-1/9797
Old 06-17-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes George Michael god I love this man and everthing in this show he does is golden.
Old 06-17-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Great show...but I hope they keep all the music intact or it will lose it's impact.
Old 06-17-08, 09:05 AM

Awesome. Loved this show as well as Pushing Daisies. Was happy to see that both were renewed for a second season AND both are being released on DVD.
Old 06-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want a soundtrack for Eli Stone to be released as well.
Old 06-17-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
sigh. No HD.
Old 06-17-08, 09:32 PM
Banned

Sorry I dont really know anything about this show and had a Question: Is this a "religious" show"?
I like the cast and it looks interesting but if it is "religious" or faith-based I will pass. For some reason I thought i heard this was a religious show or something. Can anyone help?
Old 06-17-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno how to really answer your question chris. I'm spoilering my "answer" because it has a few facts from the series, and just want to be safe:

Spoiler:
I guess it's all a matter of perspective, at least thus far. The main character, Eli Stone, gets visions of the past, future, etc. One theory about the visions is that they are the result of a brain aneurysm, another is that he is a modern-day prophet. The question isn't answered, at least not yet. He uses these visions for various things, often involving choosing clients or taking on certain cases.

One thing I can say for certain though, is that I never felt the show was overly religious or preachy. I would say go into the show with an open mind. You don't have to believe in God to enjoy the show, although it does deal with issues of God, prophets, and faith, but by no means is the show limited to those topics. The characters are what really make this show what it is. All of them are VERY likable (at least I thought they were) and their relationships (not just romantic) are what really moves the show forward and keeps it interesting and extremely touching.

If you are the least bit interested, I highly recommend watching 2-3 episodes and giving it a chance. I can honestly say that I thought each episode was better than the last. As far as the season finale goes, I think it was one of the best episodes, and it ended in such a way that provided conclusion (if not renewed), but allowing for a future (if, which it was, renewed).
Old 06-17-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll definitely grab this - a thoroughly enjoyable show!

(Some idle trivia: Loretta Devine was one of Broadway's original Dreamgirls and Victor Garber appeared in several Broadway musicals, including the original production of Sweeney Todd - so don't be surprised when they break out into song every now and then.)
Old 06-17-08, 11:45 PM
Banned

Thanks kstublen. Sounds ok to me. I'll probably end up giving this one a shot. I guess I feared it would be something about Christian values like 7th heaven or something. I dont have a problem with spiritual things like Carnivale, John from Cincinnati or things along that line so I'll at least check it out.
Old 06-18-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ohh, I didn't realize that is what you were getting at. In that case I can answer you with a definitive "No," as it is nothing in the way of advocating a particular set of beliefs. My sister used to watch 7th Heaven (a show I completely detest), and this is nothing of the sort. In fact, the only reference to anything remotely Abrahamic is a character suggesting Eli is a modern-day prophet, a modern Moses. The show never seemed "preachy" to me in a religious sense, although some episodes seem to have an agenda (albeit not religious) and can come off as a little "preachy," such as advocating particular views on war, immigration, and pharmaceutics, among other things. All in all though, definitely worth checking out. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-02-08, 10:41 PM

Out today in a single keepcase with 4 discs and slipcover.

For Canadians, it's an ENGLISH only package.

Oddly enough, the only insert is a Blu-ray advertisement, but this show isn't available on the format!

Because the keepcase is transparent, the episode and bonus feature listings are printed on the interior of the cover art.
Old 09-03-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Oddly enough, the only insert is a Blu-ray advertisement, but this show isn't available on the format!
Yeah, that sucks pretty bad.
Old 09-03-08, 11:23 AM

Not only that, but the DVD was only $30 so a Blu-ray could not have been that much more, and probably would have been on 2 discs only.

All the extras I've looked at are 16:9 anamorphic, even the outtakes .

The extended pilot episode is included in addition to the broadcast pilot.

That's a very nice touch, as it's typically the extended version of a pilot and that's all.

I maintain that the opening credit has the deepest, baddest bass I've ever heard on a TV show.
Old 09-03-08, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Also included is two audio commentarys as well...not mentioned on the box.
Old 09-03-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I'm a big fan of both Johnny Miller and Victor Garber.

Is this worth a blind-buy
Old 09-03-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell yeah, very entertaining, touching and funny show.
Old 09-03-08, 06:43 PM

And at a good price. Can't go wrong!
Old 09-03-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And it has George Michael to boot (( Dance and feel the Music )).
Old 09-03-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I SO wanted to buy this in HD. I'm also surprised Ugly Betty didn't get an HD release, since it's a pretty colorful show.

At least Pushing Daisies is coming out on BR...
Old 09-03-08, 11:35 PM

ABC/Disney/Touchstone/whoever seem to be pretty random with which TV titles get the Blu-ray treatment.