Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best place to sell entire collection

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to sell entire collection

My collection is taking over my house, and I never watch the films anymore. I am wondering where is the best place to unload 1023 dvds at. I want one place that will take the entire collection. I also have two Boltz dvd stands, I can sell the boltz stands somewhere else. I have the list I tried craigslist but you always get the people who say I will give you 1.00 a movie even though a number of them are tv series. I do not want to break it up and wish to do it in one big sale.

Sorry if wrong area please move.

any help thanks
Old 06-16-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you can get $2 per movie at a pawn shop, a couple more more tv seasons. otherwise you are out of luck in reality. anyone who bought a large collection would likely have many of them and be forced to sell them off themselves. i would put the higher priced ones on the bay or half, and then dump the commons off at a pawn shop. there have been many threads on this topic before as well.
Old 06-17-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've sold most of my movies for the same reasons, but I had to do so slowly. Find out which movies and series are worth $5 each or more and sell them on ebay, individually. You can sell trilogies and TV series sets together.

Take the ones under $5 and bring them to a local pawn shop or resell shop and get rid of them. You could also have a garage sale and put them out for $2-$3 a piece and see how many you sell.

Also, don't forget the trade forums here. You could list your good ones there, too, and avoid ebay fees, etc.

Unfortunately, if you want good money for your collection, there's no super-easy way to do that without sacrificing cash.
Old 06-18-08, 11:53 PM

You can try FYE or a local used book store.
Old 06-19-08, 02:59 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
why leave so much money on the table when selling some together and others seperately will yield more. Consider waiting until secondspin.com does their 20 percent extra offer every few months and send them some. They pay cash but dont like sealed or overstock. Sell the rarities on ebay.com.
Old 06-19-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I considered this too. Was hopihn I'd meet a rich person looking for a movie library. No luck.

Then I considered ripping all my movies to hard disc and storing them in boxes somewhere. But surmised that it would take something like 500 + hours to do all that.

So now I have half my collection at my parents, and half at my girlfriends. Luckily my parents live near where I work so I can swing by easily to swap movies out.
Old 06-19-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I suggest you re-think your decision to dump your entire collection. A good movie collection will last you a lifetime. Plus, if you dump your entire collection, you might as well sell/give away your DVD player(s) as well.

Just go through your collection and dump the ones that you really don't need. You could probbably trim 60-70% of your collection and then in turn get some cash for it.

I assume your main concern is space issues rather than financial issues.

It seems to me that alot of these threads are created by guys who have wives/girlfriends who hate large DVD collections. This seems like one of them.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-19-08 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Plus, if you dump your entire collection, you might as well sell/give away your DVD player(s) as well.
Netflix.
Old 06-19-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
Netflix.
The OP claims he doesn't have the time to watch any of his movie collection anymore. If that's the case, I doubt he has time to rent movies on Netflix.
Old 06-19-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The OP claims he doesn't have the time to watch any of his movie collection anymore. If that's the case, I doubt he has time to rent movies on Netflix.
The word "time" is never mentioned, just "My collection is taking over my house, and I never watch the films anymore".

Had a similar problem a while back, ditched my collection, now own a handful of DVDs (impulse buys), Blus/HDs (I'm a tech nerd, what do you expect). Use Netflix most of the time as I don't generally rewatch movies anymore.

Selling your collection because you don't watch any of the movies/shows isn't quite the same thing as giving up movies altogether.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-19-08 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It seems to me that alot of these threads are created by guys who have wives/girlfriends who hate large DVD collections. This seems like one of them.
Years with my girlfriend: 2.5
Years with my DVD collection: 8

If it ever came down either keeping my DVDs or keeping my girlfriend, the choice would be easy.
Old 06-19-08, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caiman
Years with my girlfriend: 2.5
Years with my DVD collection: 8

If it ever came down either keeping my DVDs or keeping my girlfriend, the choice would be easy.

the dvds?
Old 06-19-08, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by corysontag
My collection is taking over my house, and I never watch the films anymore. I am wondering where is the best place to unload 1023 dvds at. I want one place that will take the entire collection. I also have two Boltz dvd stands, I can sell the boltz stands somewhere else. I have the list I tried craigslist but you always get the people who say I will give you 1.00 a movie even though a number of them are tv series. I do not want to break it up and wish to do it in one big sale.

Sorry if wrong area please move.

any help thanks
sadly you will get more money for your Boltz dvd stands than your entire dvd collection. A lot of people are finding out that thier DVDS they once paid 19.99 to 24.99 can only now net a dollar or two.
Old 06-19-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Exactly, most DVD's will only get you $1-3 at most. TV on DVD willl probably get you $10-12 a set at most and that depends if it's a recent and popular show. Your going to lose serious $$$$$......you have to question if it's really worth it.

It seems to me that alot of these threads are created by people who are being more reactive to a stressor. I remember a thread from several months ago where some guy's wife got angry with him for buying so many DVD's and he created a thread saying he wanted to dump his collection because his wife told him so. And then there was another thread with some guy saying he couldn't pay his tax bill and needed to dump his DVD collection.

I understand the replay value of a DVD is very subjective, but if your spending thousands of dollars of your hard earned money on this hobby/addiction, you might as well keep most of them.

My suggestion to the OP, keep 100-200 DVD's that you think you have some sort of replay value to you in the future and put them in a box and store them away. Then if you are serious about selling, sell the remaining ones.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-19-08 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
If you really have to, keep the inserts, ditch the cases (you could actually sell those for cash) and put the DVDs in some kind of Case Logic storing device, which would reduce your space to maybe a few feet wide with 200 or DVDs per pouch.

Remember, it's the cases which are taking up room. Find a way to take care of those, and you can still have your 1000+ DVD collection.

As I've posted in other threads like this, you will regret selling some of your DVDs, and a few years from now, you'll wish you had them when your movie addiction comes back like a motherfucker.
Old 06-19-08, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
As I've posted in other threads like this, you will regret selling some of your DVDs, and a few years from now, you'll wish you had them when your movie addiction comes back like a motherfucker.
He speaketh the truth!
Old 06-20-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the same problem. When my wife and I married 8 years ago we watched a movie at least every other day. Today we have a 3 year old and a 3 month old...our movie watching has been cut to one a month...maybe. Even when we want to watch a movie it seems we are too tired and just fall asleep half way through it.

We are going to go back to the old school ways of movie watching: Blockbuster and Hollywood when we want...no more buying movies! We love to go to the theaters to watch movies but that is even tougher because of the babysitter thing. We just saw our first movie in 3 months at the theater (Prince Caspian....loved it!) when my parents came to visit and gave us a little break.

Anyway, I now want to sell my DVDs as well (300 or so)...or at least a portion of them. I will probably keep the movies I love and dump the rest.
Old 06-20-08, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If you really have to, keep the inserts, ditch the cases (you could actually sell those for cash)
Where would you go to sell DVD cases?
Old 06-22-08, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by paintcan
Where would you go to sell DVD cases?
Me! I need some to complete my movies.

PG