DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   30 Rock: Season 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/533723-30-rock-season-2-a.html)

deto 06-16-08 05:28 PM

30 Rock: Season 2

Originally Posted by tvshowsondvd.com
This past Wednesday we reported that our industry sources had told us that Universal was setting a September 16th release date for 30 Rock - Season 2 on DVD. That wasn't official, however, and was subject to be moved since the studio had not yet formally announced it.

This morning we've received the weekly installment of Home Media Magazine, an industry journal that this time includes a 2-page ad from Universal, showing off their fall TV-DVD releases. We have a look at the full ad at the bottom of this story, and it mostly shows titles (including their release dates, cost and box art ) that we've already reported to our readers.

This trade ad provides our very first look at the cover art for 30 Rock - Season 2, and also informs us that it will be priced at $39.98 SRP. However, it also seems that Universal has moved the release date of this set, since the "September" info was sent to our contact. The ad specifies that this package will ship on October 14th...almost a month later.

We're going to follow up and try to verify this date change...for all we know the October date was the older date, and the set's release has moved closer with the info we gave you half a week ago. After all, these print ads usually need some lead time. We may have to wait until the studio officially announces the title, though, including additional info about the collection's specs and bonus material. Stay tuned and we'll keep you updated! In the meantime, here's that artwork:

UPDATE: We've just confirmed that the studio has indeed moved the release date for this title to October 14th; the other release date our informant had must have been based on older information. Our thanks to our contacts for the quick response!

30 Rock - Season 2 early box art
http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics...k_S2_early.jpg

The Bus 06-16-08 05:30 PM

Must mean the new season doesn't start until October. :down:

Now, where's the BD?

domino harvey 06-16-08 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Must mean the new season doesn't start until October. :down:

Now, where's the BD?

I believe it doesn't start until Halloween night! It's nice to see Kenneth on the cover

FaustBos 07-08-08 05:34 PM

Hello there, slightly off subject, but does any one here know why season 1 is listed as discontinued on www.dvdpacific.com?

nateman 07-09-08 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Now, where's the BD?

I'm asking the same question. This show is a masterpiece and if shows like Weeds, Heroes and Prison Break can get BD releases; why not 30 Rock?

I'll still pick up the DVD, though. When the post-strike episodes aired I only saw one episode and missed the rest. It wasn't because of the WGA strike or anything; I just kept missing it for some reason. That happened with most of the shows after the strike this past season. I still wanted to watch the shows, but I kept watching BDs and DVDs instead.

kefrank 07-09-08 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by nateman
I'm asking the same question. This show is a masterpiece and if shows like Weeds, Heroes and Prison Break can get BD releases; why not 30 Rock?

it does seem a little odd. however, i'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it's a comedy. TV shows released on Blu-ray have tended to be of the sci-fi/heavy drama/action variety, because that's what the studios think will sell more units. additionally, Universal is just starting out in Blu-ray, so they likely have higher priority titles in the queue.

this is one case where i don't mind that much that there is no BD, because i still tend to prefer the convenience of being able to watch TV shows on DVD on any TV in the house and my Blu-ray player is only hooked up to my projector. the second season of 30 Rock was brilliant, so i can't wait to get this one home.

asianxcore 07-13-08 11:38 AM

Sweet!

Now I have to finish up Season 1 :)

Brent L 09-25-08 07:39 PM

I got this in the mail today, bought from an individual online, woohoo!

The Fred Armisen commentary track on the "Somebody to Love" episode is actually pretty entertaining, if not flat out funny.

NiCK Crush 09-25-08 07:41 PM

I've actually never watched this show... I'm going to pick up S1 and give it a try.

liquidevil 09-26-08 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 8963541)
I've actually never watched this show... I'm going to pick up S1 and give it a try.

Best comedy on tv imo

My Other Self 09-26-08 11:32 AM

This and The Office are the reason Thursdays on NBC are Must See TV again.

Brent L 09-27-08 07:52 PM

The only thing I don't like about this set is the packaging. It's think for no other reason than just to be thick. When you guys check it out, you'll know exactly what I mean. It's no big deal, but still, it's something.

shyguy1083 09-27-08 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 8967957)
The only thing I don't like about this set is the packaging. It's think for no other reason than just to be thick. When you guys check it out, you'll know exactly what I mean. It's no big deal, but still, it's something.

if it's the same thickness as s1, i'll actually be happy so that spines will match. i HATE series that have non-matching spines throughout the seasons. if it's THICKER than s1, particulary since it's a shortened season, that'd be weird.

Brent L 09-27-08 10:49 PM

It's a disc shorter than the first set, and the case is slightly thicker. Not by much, just slightly, but still. It just seems like a waste to me for a two disc set.

mdc3000 09-28-08 08:44 AM

What did they do to the case? Did they change from Thinpaks to something else?

Pizza 09-28-08 12:09 PM

No thinpaks. It's a wide case that holds only two DVDs. The thicker case tries to create the illusion of a regular full season.

OldWhore'sDiet 09-28-08 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083 (Post 8968165)
if it's the same thickness as s1, i'll actually be happy so that spines will match. i HATE series that have non-matching spines throughout the seasons. if it's THICKER than s1, particulary since it's a shortened season, that'd be weird.

Yes! I totally agree with that! I hate that the last season of "Grounded for Life" is a keep case! Ugh.

I just finished watching Season 1 yesterday of "30 Rock" and I really love it! Can't wait to own this set! :)

OldBoy 09-28-08 04:47 PM

is the SNL episode the full ep or just opening monologue bc the opening was very funny with Steve Martin, but the Amy Poehler in the "Rock of Love" skit cracks me up every time?

Brent L 09-29-08 09:10 PM

The Tina Fey on SNL feature? It's just a behind the scenes featurette on her hosting, that's all.

mdc3000 10-07-08 07:11 PM

Guess the US got different packaging again because up here this is just 2 thinkpaks in the box...last season was 3 thinpaks, so this slightly thinner and matches nicely.

The bonus features were a letdown though... seriously Universal, I'll volunteer to shoot/edit etc. better features than these, for nearly free... the video quality during the live performance could be forgiven, but one of the cameras is clearly the wrong aspect ratio, made to fill a 4:3 frame and the audio on the panel feature is HORRIBLE... just awful. The deleted scenes are skimpy and the table read is nice but the script takes up so much of the screen that we can't really see the cast as well as I'd like... whoever produced these extras = epic fail.

Glad to see a lot of commentaries, hopefully they'll make up for the disappointment of the video supplements.

Frozenhamster 10-08-08 10:10 AM

Yeah. Here in Canada Universal seems to like releasing these TV series sets with thinpaks. It was annoying with The Office because I got the first season in a single case, the second was in that nice, thin digipak, and then the third and fourth were in thinpaks. Boy does that show not look good on the shelf.

My Other Self 10-08-08 10:42 AM

I began importing my Universal TV shows from Canada since for some reason, Universal got it right and releases them in Thinpaks up North.

Glad to see they kept consistency with 30 Rock. I know where to get my copy, now.

slop101 10-08-08 10:54 AM

sheesh - what's the deal with using such thick packaging for only two discs? I've seen 6-disc sets with slimmer boxes.

mdc3000 10-08-08 11:21 AM

Can someone post a pic of the US version, I'm curious about this super thick packaging...

sauce07 10-08-08 02:00 PM

I couldn't help but pick up the set, even though I've already seen every episode like 10 times thanks to Hulu. Do have to agree that the packaging is a little thick, not horrible.