Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 12

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darthdelegate
The Wii won't be missed. Trust me. It has no good games. And that 360 camera...well that's useless.

You won't be watching all of those movies. Look into starting up a Netflix account to cut down on movie-buying costs.
Is there some subliminal message embedded in there somewhere?
Old 09-09-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
The Wii and 360 camera are eye catching, which they shouldn't be. They're the only white components in your set up. You should look into getting them painted black or ditching them. The Wii won't be missed. Trust me. It has no good games. And that 360 camera...well that's useless.

You won't be watching all of those movies. Look into starting up a Netflix account to cut down on movie-buying costs. Let us know how it goes.

Great setup/collection marcellusk
Old 09-09-08, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darthdelegate ???

you cant' be serious
Old 09-10-08, 06:43 AM

You won't be watching all of those movies. Look into starting up a Netflix account to cut down on movie-buying costs. Let us know how it goes.
Darthdelegate's New Year's Resolution: To inform members of DVD Talk that they are spending too much money on purchasing DVDs. Encourage them to rent instead.

Up to date statistics:

DVD Talk Members Informed: 1

Remaining DVD Talk Members to be informed: 263,458
Old 09-10-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR63
Darthdelegate's New Year's Resolution: To inform members of DVD Talk that they are spending too much money on purchasing DVDs. Encourage them to rent instead.

Up to date statistics:

DVD Talk Members Informed: 1

Remaining DVD Talk Members to be informed: 263,458
Old 09-12-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Wii and 360 camera are eye catching, which they shouldn't be. They're the only white components in your set up. You should look into getting them painted black or ditching them. The Wii won't be missed. Trust me. It has no good games. And that 360 camera...well that's useless.

I was thinking he should have bought the black frame for his Bravia as well. Or just paint that silver one. And speaking of silver, the chrome bits on your PS3 must distract you while you're watching movies. Ever consider spray painting the distracting parts of your console?

These are serious things that you should consider.
Old 09-17-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditch all your white stuff and start renting. That's hilarious!
Old 09-17-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who is this guy? Seriously are you this guys mother or financial advisor?
Old 09-22-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this thread has been derailed
Old 09-23-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im really close to finishing my room, carpet come thursday and furniture on Friday...then Ill post some picks...

Nick
Old 09-23-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe.
I think this thread has been derailed
While we're at it, the blue color of those Blu-ray boxes is hideous. (I know why they're blue, but damn, very few blue-colored products are appealing.)
Old 09-23-08, 06:59 PM

What do you think about my setup guys/gals?

Old 09-23-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Like the setup Vital.

How big is the TV set?
Old 09-23-08, 07:52 PM

Whoops, I didn't even realize that I forgot to post the size.

It's a 32 inch, LG 1080i HDTV (CRT). I'm surprised how well CRTs look in HD.

The surround sound is an LG 5.1 right out of the box. I was limited with budget. But surprisingly, it's not a bad system. I got a KILLER deal on it. It's also a Upconverting DVD player built into the receiver. So that's always good.

The front two speaker stands were purchased for 12.99 at SEARS this past weekend. They had been marked down and are really nice for that price. Pretty solid.

The two rear speakers aren't shown but are exactly identical as the two front. I have them on custom built (by me) speaker stands. The rear stands are heavy duty as ever and match the front one two stands. I build them for under twenty bucks. I'll post pictures if you'd like.

I have an HDDVD A2 player. I was and still am all about HDDVD. I wont budge and purchase a BluRay player. Actually, I'm going to purchase one in the future sometime... haha.

The four consoles of course are labeled on the picture.

And the DVDs, I think I have over 300 just on those bookshelves. Top left of the left shelf is HD DVDs, followed by Steelbooks and then all the SD DVDs in alphabetical order. I got a couple rare ones in the mix.

I think that's about it. I worked really hard getting my set up and collection to where it is currently. Of course I will do some updating with a bigger TV once I free up some money. But i'm pretty happy with where it is now.
Old 09-23-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDTV CRTs can look very good. I have a Sony flatscreen in the living room hooked up to an LG combo HD DVD/BD, and it looks awesome.
Old 09-23-08, 09:14 PM

How is that LG dual HD player? If i'm going to make the jump to Blu then I am going to go Dual Support. That way I could give my folks my A2 and I could still be able to play HD DVDs...

They are still like 300+ dollars correct? Or are they way higher than that?
Old 09-23-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LG BH200

That's the one I have in the living room. The only BD it's failed to play is Batman Begins.
Old 09-23-08, 10:09 PM

So here is mine, a bit dusty and unorganized right now as we will be redoing the floors coming up

Old 09-24-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dang. That's a lot of dust built up there. Isn't it distracting while you're watching TV, since it's a real nice setup, but the dust... man. I hope to see some clean pics when the floors are done.
Old 09-24-08, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by fmian
Dang. That's a lot of dust built up there. Isn't it distracting while you're watching TV, since it's a real nice setup, but the dust... man. I hope to see some clean pics when the floors are done.
The whole left wall is windows and we live on top of a hill, the house is old and the windows and the window seals need replaceing (major $), the dust goes up the hill and into the living room. we have a great veiw but dusting has to be done daily. Also I am coaching and teaching so swamped right now and the wife is making me dust.
Old 09-24-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mainly because it'll bug some people...

Old 09-24-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store all my DVDs away in sleeves in boxes. That's about 500 discs in those eight small boxes (8" x 10" x 6"). I use Discsox for the sleeves, I wait for imperfect ones get them half-price. The boxes are Ikea Kassett, 2 for $8. Normally they are perfect for holding 15-16 DVDs in their cases. In sleeves, I can fit in 60 per box nicely. Plain pine bookshelf from unfinished furniture store, 12" wide, 12" deep, 5' tall - $50 new in 1996. Fits in any wasted corner.

My HT is not much to look at currently. The display is 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma, but it seems tiny hanging in this large niche. All speakers are in ceiling, Boston Acoustics DSi series, but there's excellent 5.1 sound with no imaging issues. The main piece of furniture is from Pier One, called Electric Console, $180. It's deep but none of the spots are very tall in it... 6" is it. So I'm very limited in what I can pack in there. Receivers are way too big most of the time.

I have a Comcast HD Cable box, Yamaha Receiver HTR-5940 on shorter replacement feet to make it fit, Toshiba A3 (HD DVD and SD DVD), and Panasonic 10AK (Blu-ray only). Also have a 1TB HTPC running Sage with a couple of DVD drives for ripping/back-up, Xbox 360, and a Linksys WRT54GL wireless ethernet bridge running DD-WRT so everything can connect back to the net.

You can sorta see how well those sleeves compact a collection. That's small 12" stand on the top there holds the entire X-Files (9), West Wing (8), Columbo (7), L&O:CI (3) and Unit (2) TV series sets.

Everything I have except the DVDs costs almost exactly $2600 including speakers, wiring, players, HTPC, 360, AVR, HD DVD, Blu-ray, network stuff, and misc brick-a-brac. Everything was a bargain at the time.

Plan is to put up a screen in the niche next year, 80-90" and add 1080p/24 projector and still keep the entire total under $4500.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 09-24-08 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beebs, that's such a gorgeous wall. A projector in that room would totally rock!
Old 09-25-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Wii won't be missed. Trust me. It has no good games.
Because everyone has the same tastes as you right? Go make a 360/PS3 sackriding thread.
Old 09-25-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I updated some of the furniture at the layout of my HT. Also added a PS3, a few Blu's and HD-DVDs to the collection. This weekend I am making some acoustical panel treatments for the hard floor in front of the speakers and the walls, as well as framing some more posters I have to put on the walls.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.