Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you buy DVDs of movies you JUST saw at the theater?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Do you buy DVDs of movies you JUST saw at the theater?
Yes
27.66%
No
19.15%
Depends on the title
53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Best Buy with a buddy of mine and he asked if I bought Sweeny Todd yet. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved Sweeny Todd and I love Tim Burton's movies, for the most part...and I have every intention of owning this movie at some point. But my buddy is fanatical about movies he loves. He watches them three times or more in the theater, buys them the day they come out, watches them again on DVD...and I really don't see where people find the time.

My unwatched pile is HUGE. My buddy knows I have an unwatched pile that rivals most, and knows I just don't have time to watch movies all the time like I would like to do. So for me to buy a DVD I just saw in the theater a few months ago means I spent twenty bucks to throw another DVD on an already huge pile of unwatched DVDs.

Yet he seems to get pissed off when I remind him I just saw the movie so I didn't buy it on DVD yet.

And, let's face it...some movies are fine only being seen once. I might get an urge to watch Sweeny Todd at some point in the future. I can either pick it up for cheap at Wal Mart or go and rent it. In the mean time, I just don't see a reason to buy everything that comes to mind.

And I am much, much less likely to buy DVDs of movies I recently saw in the theater. I can't think of a single movie I just needed to watch immediately when it comes out if I saw it only a few months ago in the theater. Unless it's an expanded cut or something...but even then I can usually wait.
Old 05-31-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends if I really liked it. Usually if I saw it in the theatre I'm likely to hold off on buying the DVD. I loved Juno in the theatre bought the Blu-ray when it came out but still haven't watched it. While films like The Assassination of Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone, and I'm Not There, I didn't see in the theatre, I watched them as soon as I got the wrapper off the package.
Old 05-31-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on a variety of factors. If there is any promotional item or slipcover, I am more inclined to buy it, as those sorts of things tend to go OOP rather quickly. If it is an actor or director I collect, then more than likely I saw it in theaters and will purchase it as well. There are other movies that I see in theaters and don't immediately purchase, but will likely purchase at some point down the line.
Old 05-31-08, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to purchase movies that I had just seen in theatre as soon as they came out if I liked them. However a variety of factors contributed to me not purchasing them as fast now. Firstly years ago I used to work in the electronic department at Wal-mart so seeing everything come in and putting stuff out on the release date it wasn't uncommon for me to leave work on tuesday having purchased a few titles. After leaving retail the temptation definately subsided. Also with places like Rogers and Blockbuster flipping their new releases into previously viewed titles alot faster than they used to I find it hard to justify buying something brand new unless theres some bonus or special packaging or something.
Old 05-31-08, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by hitman tommy
Also with places like Rogers and Blockbuster flipping their new releases into previously viewed titles alot faster than they used to I find it hard to justify buying something brand new unless theres some bonus or special packaging or something.
That's my biggest reason for not buying DVDs when they are first released anymore. With the 2/$20 sale Rogers Video seems to always have on previously viewed DVDs I can wait 3-4 extra weeks to get two movies for cheaper than one would cost on release day.
Old 05-31-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the movie.

If it's one I liked, then yes. If it's one I didn't, then no.

I don't go to the movies very often though; the last time I went was five months ago, to see Sweeney Todd. Which I then bought on DVD the day it came out.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 05-31-08 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually don't go to the theatres much anymore so my answer is no...I blind-buy mostly everything since I find it to be cheaper than going with many added advantages of being able to watch it in the comfort of my own home
Old 05-31-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I want to buy it, I get it when it comes out. Except BD's... I often wait for those to go on sale.
Old 05-31-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Wouldn't a DVD of a movie you JUST saw in the theater be a bootleg?
Old 05-31-08, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Wouldn't a DVD of a movie you JUST saw in the theater be a bootleg?
That's where i thought this thread was going.

Last movie i saw in theater was Indiana Jones.
I'm sure i could go to the flea market and find a DVD copy though.
Old 05-31-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually wait either for a used copy or a good sale price when it comes to buying a movie I saw theatrically and want to own. There's enough other stuff (Criterions, box sets, TV sets, classic films) to satisfy my buying urges!
Old 06-02-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to but lately, with all the deluxe edition double dips, I wait unless it's something I really want. I buy everything I really liked in theaters the day it comes out but for other titles, like AVP:R or Death Sentence, I can wait until the price comes down in a couple months. Those are titles I'd like to add, but don't really need right now.