Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

OOP Anchor Bay titles vs. their Blue Underground reissues?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-23-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue Underground's been rereleasing a lot of oop Anchor Bay titles (especially Italian horror/giallo, Argento/Fulci/etc). What I'd like to know: is there any difference in audio/video quality between the old/new versions? I ask because I've been finding lots of cheap Anchor Bay versions, especially some of the Drive-In Double Features, which DVDplanet has for $5-6. I recently got the DF for Rats/Hell of the Living Dead at DVDempire for $7, both titles reissued by BU individually at $14.99 retail. Are the Anchor Bay issues somehow inferior, or am I justified in grabbing 'em where I find 'em?
Old 04-23-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I recently got the DF for Rats/Hell of the Living Dead at DVDempire for $7, both titles reissued by BU individually at $14.99 retail.
Oops. I meant I got Macabre/A Blade In the Dark at DVDempire for $7. Rats/Hell I got at DVDplanet for $6. (crucial error, I'm sure)
Old 04-23-08, 05:22 PM

I am almost positive that the transfers/extras/etc. are exactly the same. Obviously the discs themselves have less years on them and I prefer the BU packaging more but $6-7 on those DF is good.
Old 04-23-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the BU releases have subtitles or closed-captioning on their Argento movies?
Old 04-23-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Do the BU releases have subtitles or closed-captioning on their Argento movies?
Deep Red only has subtitles. Suspiria only has captions.
Old 04-23-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by beesonosu
I am almost positive that the transfers/extras/etc. are exactly the same. Obviously the discs themselves have less years on them and I prefer the BU packaging more
Thanks!

Just curious, why do you prefer the BU packaging, the clear keep cases?

In many cases I prefer the AB packaging because they have the lobby card insert of the cool looking European poster. That is, I dig pre-Starz AB.

While we're on the subject, do you (or anyone reading this) know if BU will be releasing Fulci's The Beyond? I still can't forgive myself for selling off my limited tin.
Old 04-24-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It wouldn't surprise me if the releases were identical A/V-wise. I know the BU release of Suspiria is basically the first two discs of AB's Limited Edition (it only lacks the soundtrack).
Old 04-24-08, 02:11 AM

Blue Underground's been rereleasing a lot of oop Anchor Bay titles (especially Italian horror/giallo, Argento/Fulci/etc). What I'd like to know: is there any difference in audio/video quality between the old/new versions? I ask because I've been finding lots of cheap Anchor Bay versions, especially some of the Drive-In Double Features, which DVDplanet has for $5-6. I recently got the DF for Rats/Hell of the Living Dead at DVDempire for $7, both titles reissued by BU individually at $14.99 retail. Are the Anchor Bay issues somehow inferior, or am I justified in grabbing 'em where I find 'em?
From what I hear and read, they are by and large they are an exact import, save some of the special features which might be owned by AB. On the other hand, titles like Suspiria, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, and a few others have been revamped to be better with new additional extras.
Old 04-24-08, 02:39 AM

Thanks!

Just curious, why do you prefer the BU packaging, the clear keep cases?

In many cases I prefer the AB packaging because they have the lobby card insert of the cool looking European poster. That is, I dig pre-Starz AB.

While we're on the subject, do you (or anyone reading this) know if BU will be releasing Fulci's The Beyond? I still can't forgive myself for selling off my limited tin.
I have had not heard anything about The Beyond.

I do prefer the clear keepcases and most of their covers although I did forget about the awesomeness of the European poster cards which trumps all.
Old 04-24-08, 07:04 AM

Does AB or BU have the rights to The Beyond now? I'd really like to see some Fulci BluRay this halloween!
Old 04-24-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm dying for one of them to re-issue THE BEYOND. i've never seen it and i really want to.
Old 04-24-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Grindhouse Releasing had the rights to The Beyond?
Old 04-24-08, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OopAnt
From what I hear and read, they are by and large they are an exact import, save some of the special features which might be owned by AB. On the other hand, titles like Suspiria, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, and a few others have been revamped to be better with new additional extras.
BU's Suspiria has no new features. The second disc with the documentary and other extras is just disc 2 from Anchor Bay's 3 disc limited edition. None of the BU reissues have added anything not already on the AB versions.

Last edited by Alkaline; 04-24-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I thought Grindhouse Releasing had the rights to The Beyond?
Somebody on an imdb thread a couple months ago posted that he was friends/on a speaking basis with the guys from Grindhouse and that Beyond was due for an upcoming re-release through Rykodisc. This made me assume it was probably Blue Underground since they are distributed by Rykodisc, and it would be in lin with all the other AB reissues from BU. The post was extremely vague and didn't go into any specifics. I implored about said specifics, e.g. new extras, new transfer, whether it would just be a port of the AB disc--and he never made a follow-up post. So that could be garbage.

Last edited by Alkaline; 04-24-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 12:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so who's going to release 'Zombie' on bluray? - both of the them?
Old 04-26-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, circumstances led me to having both the 2002 AB and 2007 BU of Michele Soavi's Stagefright. Same transfers, same extras, same synopsis on the back. Only difference is AB has the poster replica insert, BU has an insert advertising its back catalogue.
Old 05-06-08, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

the DVD content of all the releases have been identical, so far...case closed