Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever cleaned up at a rental place's Going Out Of Business sale?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ever cleaned up at a rental place's Going Out Of Business sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peep
While I'm happy when people find anything that they think is a deal I think it's in bad taste to crow about taking advantage of other people's misfortunes. Pointing out stores trying to liquidate their inventory to other DVDtalkers is one thing. Gloating about your finds is another.

So according to your logic... it's okay that DVDTalkers tell each other where to go to find stores that are liquidating their assets so that we can all go there and "take advantage of their misfortunes"... but we aren't allowed to talk about the exciting deals we find once we get there?

DVDTALKER A: "Hey, I just got back from Ma and Pa's DVD Store. They're going out of business! You should get down there!"

DVDTALKER B: "Oh yeah? What did you find?"

DVDTALKER A: "You insensitive bastard. Go to hell."

Last edited by Living Dead; 05-04-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 04:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
So according to your logic... it's okay that DVDTalkers tell each other where to go to find stores that are liquidating their assets so that we can all go there and "take advantage of their misfortunes"... but we aren't aloud to talk about the exciting deals we find once we get there?

DVDTALKER A: "Hey, I just got back from Ma and Pa's DVD Store. They're going out of business! You should get down there!"

DVDTALKER B: "Oh yeah? What did you find?"

DVDTALKER A: "You insensitive bastard. Go to hell."

Old 05-04-08, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Ya-hoo! Profiting at the misery of others!!!

Anybody else done so?!?! Isn't it a great feeling!?!

I only wish everyone's business would fail so I could get everything at slashed prices!
Wow...that's just weird.
Seriously though why should he care if a store goes out of business? It's not his fault
Old 05-04-08, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm happy when people find anything that they think is a deal I think it's in bad taste to crow about taking advantage of other people's misfortunes.
The thread is about businesses shutting down and offering liquidation sales as a result. Nowhere in the original post does it talk about taking advantage of people and their misfortunes. I feel sorry for people losing their jobs as anyone else, but why this regular and unfortunate occurrence makes it a moral offense to discuss liquidation sales is downright absurd.

On the topic at hand, a local Hollywood Video went out of business about a month ago. I got a couple new DVDs that I'd been wanting to get for around $10 each, and then, when I heard it was their last day and everything was around 75 cents, I took another gander at their inventory and walked out with 4 more. I guess that's not as exciting as getting 30-40 titles, but I was surprised I was able to find anything decent at all.
Old 05-04-08, 04:59 PM

If WE don't take advantage of an awesome deal/find no matter what the circumstances are, then someone else will. It might as well be one of us that is going to most likely add these movies to our collections, or find a wanting home for them here via trade or sale. Would you rather let John Q. Public buy them and eventually throw them out once they get deemed "clutter" ???
Old 05-04-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
If WE don't take advantage of an awesome deal/find no matter what the circumstances are, then someone else will. It might as well be one of us that is going to most likely add these movies to our collections, or find a wanting home for them here via trade or sale. Would you rather let John Q. Public buy them and eventually throw them out once they get deemed "clutter" ???
As I clearly said more than once, taking advantage of it (and even giving others a heads-up) is not what I was saying was in bad taste. It was bragging about it.

That's my final word on the subject. If you don't get it by now, you never will.
Old 05-05-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Last edited by Living Dead; 05-05-08 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-05-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knowing is half the battle!
Old 05-05-08, 12:41 PM

As I clearly said more than once, taking advantage of it (and even giving others a heads-up) is not what I was saying was in bad taste. It was bragging about it.

That's my final word on the subject. If you don't get it by now, you never will.
Honestly, on a forum where quite a few people try to one-up each other's collections constantly, this "penis-waving contest" is to be expected.