Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports Night 10th Anniversary Set

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sports Night 10th Anniversary Set

Old 10-08-08, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've watched nearly the entire set. The video quality is disappointing, but if you're a huge fan of the show the extras alone are worth picking it up. Even though the commentaries aren't necessarily that good, it's just nice to have the people who made these episodes talking about them.

I'd like to have heard from some of the recurring guest stars too, like William H. Macy, Teri Polo, Brenda Strong and Paula Marshall.
Old 10-09-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonTHX
Video quality looked better in the last set, in my opinion.
I don't recall the original set being all that great, unfortunately.

The sound does appear to have more clarity, though.
The obnoxious laugh track is still there on Season 1, right?
Old 10-09-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks like the DVDTalk Reviewers had their eye on this thread. Review is now up.
Old 10-13-08, 06:20 PM
Cool New Member

Just did a blind buy of these.

Everything I've read about this show has nothing but great things to say. So hopefully those reviews aren't wrong.
Old 10-13-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by alongoria
Just did a blind buy of these.

Everything I've read about this show has nothing but great things to say. So hopefully those reviews aren't wrong.
You won't regret the purchase. The show is brilliant.
Old 10-14-08, 01:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I also did a blind buy. The show is great. If you like "Jerry Maguire," this is right up your alley.
Old 10-14-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I just recently revisited this show. And while I liked it while it was on the air, now it seems a just little pretentious. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it reminded me of the disaster Studio 60 became. No one in the world talks like that; everyone takes everything way too seriously. Sorkin's style of writing worked for West Wing because it lends itself more to weightier subjects. It does not fit shows about a sports show or late-night skit comedy show.

That's my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 10-14-08, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No one in the world talks like that
I actually have been talking like that ..much to the bewilderment of my friends who shake their heads and say "Why ya talk like that? Why you gotta use all those big words for?"

I tell them I'm speaking "Sorkinese."
Old 10-14-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Looks like the DVDTalk Reviewers had their eye on this thread. Review is now up.
Not to be mean or anything but doesn't a review WITHOUT a comparison of the 2002 version of "Sports Night" DVD set strike you as... incomplete?
Old 10-14-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the whole review thing. With all the praise the show gets around here I figure we would have had the best review on the net, and early to boot. We get a late review that doesn't even compare the two releases. Fail.

I'm buying regardless because the features sound great, but a little more insight into the set would have been stellar.
Old 10-14-08, 08:53 PM

So you expect the reviewer to watch all 45 episodes and the bonus features and write the review before release date. Plus he should have the out of print, bare bones edition for a comparison? Seems a bit unfair.

The only reason at this point to own the first set is the subtitles because the Shout! release doesn't have any. The video quality isn't exceptional on either.
Old 10-14-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by souvenir
So you expect the reviewer to watch all 45 episodes and the bonus features and write the review before release date. Plus he should have the out of print, bare bones edition for a comparison? Seems a bit unfair.
Come on. Obviously not. Would it be that hard to pop in a an episode or two for comparison? Five minutes here, 10 minutes there.
Old 10-15-08, 12:32 AM

Well, the review states he doesn't have the earlier set for comparison. I know I sold mine off at a healthy profit when I heard of the new release so I'm just not sure why anyone with an interest in the show would even have both editions.
Old 12-08-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sports Night Season 1 coming 03/30/2010

Sports Night S1 coming seperately 03/30/2010 for folks not being able to afford the whole series at one time.