DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Your 5 MOST WANTED Criterion DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/530404-your-5-most-wanted-criterion-dvds.html)

Jgh8x 04-26-08 11:43 PM

Your 5 MOST WANTED Criterion DVDs?

Okay, so we all know that the treatment a film Criterion chooses to produce receives is extremely high. Therefore, if Criterion personally contacted you and asked you which 5 films you would like to see released, what would you say?

1. Face to Face (Ingmar Bergman, 1976)
This film was originally produced for Swedish television. To my knowledge, the entire series has not ever been released. I have heard nothing but raves for Liv Ullmann's performance, and would love to see it completely. A box set with both the theatrical and television versions, à la Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander would be absolutely wonderful.

2. Adaptation. (Spike Jonze, 2002)
A rumoured special edition release of this film has been on the horizon for nearly five years. This film absolutely demands special edition treatment! A commentary with Kaufman and Cage and Cooper and Streep would be a dream, information about Kaufman's ACTUAL adaptation process, or perhaps an interview with Donald, could make this an AMAZING release!

3. Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996)
One of the most controversial films of all time, supplemental material on the controversy surrounding it, a Cronenberg commentary, documentation of censorship, and deleted scenes could make this another excellent Criterion Cronenberg release à la Videodrome and Naked Lunch.

4. Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (Robert Altman, 1982)
It can be considered a travesty that this film only exists in a horrible full screen VHS transfer that often does not show characters that are speaking. The dialogue crackles in this one, and hearing it in beautifully re-mastered audio for the first time on DVD would be amazing.

5. Clue (Jonathan Lynn, 1985)
Rumour has it that a wealth of supplemental material exists on this film. With nearly all the principles alive and well (except for the late great Madeline Khan,) an amazing retrospective documentary, or in character sequel short, could make this a must own purchase.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

dx23 04-27-08 12:13 AM

You know, this kind of topic has never been brought on DVDTalk before:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=437327

Mikael79 04-27-08 12:31 AM

Not only has it been discussed many times before, but I always wonder why it's even brought up in the first place. I love Criterion, and I own many of their DVDs, but if another DVD production studio takes good care of films I love - that's all that matters.

I'll give credit to the OP for at least bringing up a few films that would make logical sense.

theguyoverthere 04-27-08 12:35 AM

Just one: Good Burger (3-disc Director's Cut Roadshow Version)

Maxflier 04-27-08 12:47 AM

Chushingura
Lilja 4-Ever

PatrickMcCart 04-27-08 01:52 AM

Andy Warhol Eclipse set with Empire, Sleep, Fuck, Blowjob, and Eat

MTRodaba2468 04-27-08 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jgh8x
3. Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996)
One of the most controversial films of all time, supplemental material on the controversy surrounding it, a Cronenberg commentary, documentation of censorship, and deleted scenes could make this another excellent Criterion Cronenberg release à la Videodrome and Naked Lunch.

I remember reading that Crash was rumored to be getting the Criterion treatment.

Based on their deal with Paramount, I'd love to see Criterion (or honestly, just decent special editions) of both Nashville and Harold And Maude.

Tyler_Durden 04-27-08 04:39 AM

4. Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dead

Jimmy Dead? :)

Abserd360 04-27-08 11:57 AM

Crash has been released by Criterion, only on laserdisc. It does have a Cronenberg commentary, among other things. If it was to be released on DVD, which seems unlikely, it would probably have these same special features transferred over.

I would really love to see Dragon Gate Inn get a Criterion release, or other King Hu films. Criterion has only 3 Chinese films on DVD (Hard Boiled OOP, The Killer OOP, In the Mood For Love). I understand Dragon Dynasty has plans to release some of Hu's films (Come Drink With Me is already in the works) and they usually give a pretty good treatment.

chris_sc77 04-27-08 12:07 PM

1. The Insider (1999) Michael Mann's fantastic film is a great subject and there are plenty of historical programs they could include. Also of course it needs to have commentary, documentaries, etc.
2. (A) Spike Lee Collection (Universal Edition) = Jungle Fever, Crooklyn, Clockers, Mo' Better Blues.. cannot believe how ripe the possibiliteis are for these special editions and I love my Do the Right Thing: CC and wondered why they never did more Lee films.
(B) Spike Lee Collection (Touchstone Collection) = He Got Game and Summer of Sam. Particularly summer of Sam deserves a special editon to rival the recent Zodiac: 2-disk DC.
3. Until the End of the World: Ultimate CC. Including the directors cut theatrical cut , commentary, documentaries, etc.
4. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer= Including all of the commentaries subtitled (which are now only available if you speak German), all documentares, etc.
5. Midnight Run = With commentary, documentary, deleted scenes, etc.

Dan Average 04-27-08 12:20 PM

1. American Ninja
2. American Ninja 2: The Confrontation
3. American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt
4. American Ninja 4: The Annihilation
5. American Ninja V

The scope for potential extras (David Bradley/Michael Dudikoff commentaries, a Cannon Films retrospective, the history of ninjitsu, documentaries about the lasting cultural impact of the AN series) is staggering.

Yakuza Bengoshi 04-27-08 12:21 PM

The Human Condition Trilogy (Kobayashi)
Scent of Green Papaya (Tran)
Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov)
What Happened Was (Noonan)
Millennium Mambo (Hou)

JJE-187 04-27-08 09:18 PM

I secended a Summer of Sam SE-Director's Cut, criterion or not, and if were talking LD ports, since Criterion has a working relationship with the studios that own these Menace II Society and Dead Presidents Director's Cuts would be awesome

Dan Average 04-27-08 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
The Human Condition Trilogy (Kobayashi)

Criterion's confirmed that this is in the pipeline. Patience!

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I secended a Summer of Sam SE-Director's Cut, criterion or not, and if were talking LD ports, since Criterion has a working relationship with the studios that own these Menace II Society and Dead Presidents Director's Cuts would be awesome

Their relationship with New Line is almost certainly over, now that NL has been folded into Warner Bros. And they haven't released a title from Buena Vista since The Life Aquatic.

DiscGuy 04-28-08 04:02 AM

4. Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (Robert Altman, 1982)

Yes, please!

toddly6666 04-28-08 06:40 AM

1. ASHES OF TIME (the only current English subtitled DVD has the worst video/audio quality ever)
2. KIDS (the current DVD is non-anamorphic letterboxed with no extras)
3. EUROPA EUROPA (the current DVD is non-anamorphic letterboxed)
4. TIME OF THE GYPSIES (there is currently no English subtitled DVD available)
5. MIND GAME (A perfect Japanese animated film waiting to be released by Criterion)

Superdaddy 04-28-08 07:05 AM

1. WALKABOUT (Roeg; anamorphic re-release)
2. AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD (Babenco)
3. WHITE MISCHIEF (Radford)
4. APU TRILOGY (Ray)
5. PIXOTE (Babenco)

I can think of plenty more, mostly from studios that I know won't license the titles to Criterion. These would be a nice start...

Gobear 04-28-08 09:25 AM

1. SOPYONJE (Im Kwon-Taek)
2. THE DEVILS (Ken Russell) --If Warner won't release this, then Criterion must.
3. CHUNHYANG (Im Kwon-Taek)
4. THE CROWD (King Vidor)
5. DANTON (Andrzej Wajda)

Giles 04-28-08 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
1. SOPYONJE (Im Kwon-Taek)
2. THE DEVILS (Ken Russell) --If Warner won't release this, then Criterion must.
3. CHUNHYANG (Im Kwon-Taek)
4. THE CROWD (King Vidor)
5. DANTON (Andrzej Wajda)

I second that

1. PROSPERO'S BOOKS (Peter Greenaway)
2. THE BEST INTENTIONS (Billie August) Theatrical cut + mini series cut
3. TULSE LUPER TRILOGY (Peter Greenaway) Eclipse release in HiDef
4. MY NAME IS JOE (Ken Loach)

and oh well, might as well:

5. THE DEVILS

visitor Q 04-28-08 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
You know, this kind of topic has never been brought on DVDTalk before:

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Just one: Good Burger

:suicide:

--------

Korean films have no Criterion representation to my knowledge. Though the last on the list is Japanese.

1) Oasis - Lee Chang-dong
2) Birdcage Inn or Samaria - Kim Ki-duk
3) Nabi - Moon Seong-wook (in desperate need of a transfer clean up)
4) Memories of Murder - Bong Joon-ho (supplemental material)
5) Taste of Tea - Katsuhito Ishii (Director needs some Criterion cred)

DarthVong 04-28-08 10:40 AM

The Game
Chained Heat
Night of the Creeps
Rabid
Galaxy of Terror

NoirFan 04-28-08 10:45 AM

Detour
Red River
Mystery Train
Johnny Guitar
Night of the Hunter

FrancisRizzo3 04-28-08 10:47 AM

I thought this was going to be which of the current collection do you want most, and was all ready to shout This is Spinal Tap.

But since it's not...

5) The Delicate Art of the Rifle (1996) - D.W. Harper
4) Frat House (1998) - Todd Phillips
3) The House of Yes (1997) - Mark Waters
2) The Loved One (1965) - Tony Richardson
1) Gross Pointe Blank (1997) - George Armitage

1) Would have been Sneakers, but Universal did a nice job with it.

chris_sc77 04-28-08 11:00 AM

I know I already made my list of the 5 I wanted to see on Criterion but I forgot about Hal Hartly's TRUST. That s one I definitely want to see get some Criterion Love

lawyer goodwill 04-28-08 11:29 AM

1. Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson)

That is all.